NEurope
lostmario

What do you think Project Cafe's real name will be?

So with the Project Cafe's real name officially announced on Tuesday, what do you think it will be called?

Could one of us correctly guess it?

I'm going with

Nintendo Touch

Nintendo Fiil

You know it makes sense... ;)

I can see Nintendo Stream being official.

Or Nintendo GameVision or something :p something to do with the screens on the controllers

It could be possible NINTENDO will still use 'ii' somewhere in the name, so I'm going with....

Nintendo Fiil

Reading the title of the thread I too thought to myself that "Feel" or something of that nature would fit perfectly. Looks like I'm not the only one who thought that :grin:

So...Nintendo are all about the senses and feeling? There's a human body theme going on, for sure.

The Nintesticles

The machine will come in two main parts, but with each part as important as the other! A lot more symmetrical than the Wiimote/Nunchuk. ;)

Or, maybe this name will get your veins pumping, and not your balls:

The Nintendons

Think of eet. Eet has to be true. Nintendo will allow you to download the information through your blood vessels and directly into your brain.

My preference is on Nintendons, personally. Sounds like a sweet idea. Although, think of the advertising potential for the first idea.

"The Nintesticles. Purely the Dog's Bollocks."

My general bet is that the name will be only one syllable long. Nintendo fared incredibly well with the Wii name.

As the Peeps said, "Stream" was rumored and it sounds like a very good one-word-summary of what the new central feature's going to be - complete game/content streaming to the controller.

Maybe it's even: "Striim"? ;) Although that looks wrong when you write it, so my bet stays "Stream".

Nintendo Stream sounds like a console that works similar to OnLive.

I believe:

Nintendo have joined Google and Saab and their new console is:

The Nintendo-Saab iQuon.

Stream sounds good to me. SNES HD would be amazing though.

After 'Wii' the name of the console clearly doesn't matter. You could call it the Nintendo shitbag and people of all ages would still buy it.

I hope it's something game related. Like N64(graphics) and Gamecube.

After 'Wii' the name of the console clearly doesn't matter.

It does and greatly so! It just doesn't need to be completely boring ("GamestationXY-C") any more and can well be odd if it ties in with the marketing. The "Wii"-name in combination with the marketing as an everybody-console was a stroke of pure genius. It's extremely short, very similar to an actual word (no, not that one!) and spelled oddly enough to be remembered at once.

As an example of a bad choice for a good name, have a look at the 3DS. The 3DS name ties in very well with the actual console and its heritage, contains a nice pun that hints at the standout feature, but is not unproblematic.

Not everybody is exposed to the newest console's media coverage. Especially people without console experience (parents), are likely to mistake it for a new overpriced DS revision that somehow plays DS games in 3D - even if they watch 3DS adds or read some of the Sun's quality coverage. That it looks like a DS and is named like a DS doesn't help. Game boxes that look almost completely like the DS game's boxes don't help either.

Content (software) sells systems, not the name.

When you look at the names Playstation and XBox they say completely different things.

Well it's bound to still be something that has some kind of casual appeal even if the system is more "hardcore".

Random guess: Nintendo Life.

Tagline: GET A LIFE.

I think a name of a product always has an impact. Despite all our reservations, Wii was a name NO ONE ever forgot and casual consumers all new about because it was weird.

I would be happy with the Nintendo Tab.

EDIT: Has everyone forgotten that Nintendo doesn't do red anymore.

Content (software) sells systems, not the name.

When you look at the names Playstation and XBox they say completely different things.

In the long term the name might not matter if you're mostly selling to the enthusiast crowd. PS and XBox have however been established as brands for a long time and can simply be modified with new postfixes every generation. They're also rather ambiguous: Both have practically become the "poor man's"-gaming PCs.

But neither was a similar runaway success as the Wii at the start of this generation. And certainly not with the same kind of audience. The N64 and Gamecube which might be considered as having been targeted at the more "hardcore" Nintendo fans, didn't get them very far in comparison.

Ultimately, if they're building a new brand, the right name should make the marketing to certain types much easier. If the name sticks in people's memories, marketing has probably already won half the battle for the "casual" crowd. The rest is finding unique standout features that people want and communicating them by means of marketing - ideally with a telling and memorable name.

I think a name of a product always has an impact. Despite all our reservations, Wii was a name NO ONE ever forgot and casual consumers all new about because it was weird.

I would be happy with the Nintendo Tab.

That might be a good name, if they actually did an active tablet, but even then they'd have to somehow communicate that's not a standard tablet like the Galaxy Tab. And depending on how they've designed the controller, it might be far too different from a tablet to name the console like this. ;)

Edited by Burny

I think it will be something along the lines of Wii2 but the 2 will be as in the square number. Just a feeling.

If it's wii2 they'll alienate the so-called hardcore gamers from the off.

A new branding is perhaps needed.

How about the Nintendo Entertainment System? :P

I jest, that was like calling your system 'hello, WE'RE here and things will never be the same again'