N-Europe

Reincarnation.

jayseven

I walk around pigeons.

Looking an animal in the eye is a dangerous, particularlyfor the active emphathologist or budding behavioral psychologist. Too readily I routinely try and hammer and wedge my human perspective into the theoretical existence of another being, and too often my head explodes with the insanity of the hard-wired incapacity to fully comprehend any existence besides mine.

At the forefront of my delve, as I bridge the cusp between iris and pupil and truly gaze and connect the depth of the darkness of the inner-eye with mine, there's the question that I truly, honestly cannot stop myself from thinking; what if that was me? What if I was looking out from there? What would I make of it all?

Besides the fact that it's three questions and not one, it's unavoidable for me to ponder. observing our 'close-relatives' at Monkey World a couple of months ago, it was all-too-easy to imprint my emotions onto the situation of theirs - and no matter how close or true or bonkers and wrong my thinking is, it still affects, ultimately, the way I behave. because the second (or fourth) question I ask myself tends to be what if that's what happens next?

So I see a pigeon courting a packet of crisps and I steer around it, letting it carry on with its meagre existence in the belief that I shoud treat others as I'd wish to be treated. It's illogical to be reincarnated, but if you consider that much of the non-human life you aww in your day-to-day city life is ended due to human interception, it makes me sort of weigh up .....

Football's on now. I'll stop this essay of nothing here for now!

... Yeah. Thoughts? What would you be reincarnated as? How about if you had been bad?

I'm happy with myself physically, and wouldn't want to be anyone else. Yes, I have many imperfections, but they're mainly with my personality and mind, which I could change if I wanted to enough.

But OK then, if I was reincarnated, I'd like to be 6'5" to 6'8" with big muscles, better skin and a bit better looking. Might as well ask for it all. :)

I hope evil people/terrorists are reincarnated as spiders, because I kill each and every one I see.

lol that's actually pretty good because so many people feel terrorised by spiders.

I've often thought about what I'd like to come back as (if it were possible) and I always imagine I'd be a domestic cat. I love the lifestyle. Cats can roam the neighbourhood whenever they please and then come in for tea and affection. When have you ever seen a discontent cat? They're always lounging around in the sun. Also having cat-like reflexes would be great.

There's no doubt in my mind. I'd be a parkour cat.

No one would stick me in a damn wheelie bin.

When have you ever seen a discontent cat?

When they are getting chased by a dog?

I'd like to come back as a dog, with a nice owner obviously, no worries in the world, food when you want it, the power to jump on people and lick their faces without fear of repercussions. I always think dogs have such wonderful lives.

lol that's actually pretty good because so many people feel terrorised by spiders.

I've often thought about what I'd like to come back as (if it were possible) and I always imagine I'd be a domestic cat. I love the lifestyle. Cats can roam the neighbourhood whenever they please and then come in for tea and affection. When have you ever seen a discontent cat? They're always lounging around in the sun. Also having cat-like reflexes would be great.

I have often theorised that my cats (or at least one of them) are reincarnations of myself that have somehow instinctively retained the memories of my current life; the way they always kept me company during my late night homework sessions were both sweet and mocking at the same time. :heh:

It's totally what I'd do if I had the privilege of being reincarnated as a cat in my own house. :p

Read 'I Am A Cat'.

When they are getting chased by a dog?

I'd like to come back as a dog, with a nice owner obviously, no worries in the world, food when you want it, the power to jump on people and lick their faces without fear of repercussions. I always think dogs have such wonderful lives.

If a dog licks my face there will be repercussions.

To everyone interested in reincarnation, I highly recommend the chapter "Descent of Species" in the book Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives, by David Eagleman. It's basically an exploration into reincarnation, I'll try and summarise it as best I can (without the book/lended it to someone): basically imagine that we get to choose what we're born as after we die. One day a human decides that being a horse would be a much simpler existence, so he chooses that. He is reincarnated into a horse. However the problem is that the horse doesn't have the intelligence to understand what being a person is like, or remember why he became a horse, and he thinks that an ant would have a much simpler and nicer life, and chooses that, and so on. The desire for a simple life has doomed the human to an ant. The last line (or so) is excellent: it goes along the lines of "what kind of majestic/otherwordly creature chose to be reincarnated as a human on Earth?".

(I hope that made sense...)

tl;dr summary: are you sure choosing to be reincarnated as an animal is a smart decision?

Edited by EddieColeslaw

It's illogical to be reincarnated,

I think it's perfectly logical, even probable...I mean how come we're all here? A consciousness somehow stuck in a body, all 7 billion of us, and the exact same thing is happening every second to countless others, not to mention to all the animals...

Who says the same won't happen after death? Emerging in a body, be it human, animal, whatever...just like this time.

Anyway, I'd pick human and a western country, Scandinavia perhaps...prob male since we have no periods and less fear of rape. Animals don't really have it that good...I mean pure luck if the owner is good or not, no way of communicating what exactly is wrong if something happens to you, short life span, limited understanding, the possibility that someone somewhere is interested in eating you be it a minority or the majority etc...Humans, however, have intelligence, kindness, self-awareness, passion to develop themselves and create progress on all levels...I.e. just what I want :)

Edited by Ville

The last line (or so) is excellent: it goes along the lines of "what kind of majestic/otherwordly creature chose to be reincarnated as a human on Earth?".

That's very thought-provoking. Who knows if there are superior beings? If there are, would they be something we'd want to become? Hmm...

This is not to say I look down at dolphins or other animals as inferior. After all, I've never seen them be cruel or start wars.

Andy Weir - The Egg is a short story I've posted a few times that gives a really charming idea of reincarnation.

Ville; you've not presented a logical argument at all contrary to mine :P It's a nice theoretical musing on an unanswerable question - but there's no logic in what you say, just supposition :P

I really must thank you for posting that before. I've often reread it because of its brilliance. :)

Ville; you've not presented a logical argument at all contrary to mine :P It's a nice theoretical musing on an unanswerable question - but there's no logic in what you say, just supposition :P

Yeah, of course. That's what I was wondering, the "logicality" of the other supposition :D

I would like to be reincarnated as my own cat, because he's spoiled :p

Cats don't get chased by dogs, they tease them mercilessly by sitting just outside of the dogs boundary...

I think I may well have been a bad person in a previous life... would explain a lot lol

The illogic of there being no reincarnation?

Man, it's too late to go into that right now :P I was going to make a soul thread next weekend, dammit!

Heh, no sweat man :D Actually, I'm more interested in finding answers to these questions than just speculating...I mean thinking will only get us so far...

*ahem*

How beautiful do the words have 2 B

Before they conquer every heart?

How will U know if I'm even in the right key

If U make me stop before sym_eye.gif start?

If sym_eye.gif came back as a dolphin

Would U listen 2 me then?

Would U let me be your friend?

Would U let me in?

U can cut off all my fins

But 2 your ways sym_eye.gif will not bend

I'll die before sym_eye.gif let U tell me how 2 swim

And I'll come back again as a dolphin

2mx0hgy.jpg

I like to believe our past lives come to us in the most vivid dreams. Assuming this is true, in a past life (or past lives), I must've been an outlaw, desperately hiding from the authority (my most memorable dreams involve a looming, inescapable chase) and eventually dying via drowning or suffocation (once again, many nightmares involve me losing air). There was a beautiful red haired girl somewhere in there, too.

I also like to think I'll become a cat in a future life. It just feels right

Thoughts of reincarnation are awesome :)

I way prefer the thought of reincarnation over immortality. At least then you start over with a clean slate again and again, every life being a new experience. Immortality just seems a bit boring heh.

Of course the downside of reincarnation is not remembering your past lives, but yeah.

If I had to pick an animal I'd love to come back as, it'd be a hawk. Love those birds!

If I had to pick a human, it'd be a western, white male I guess. Don't know. Just to experience being the opposite sex. Even though then I will have forgotten what it feels like to be a girl, so I'll go all "Oh god I don't understand girls! Why don't they come with a manual?! They're fucking insane!". =P

I like to believe our past lives come to us in the most vivid dreams. Assuming this is true, in a past life (or past lives), I must've been an outlaw, desperately hiding from the authority (my most memorable dreams involve a looming, inescapable chase) and eventually dying via drowning or suffocation (once again, many nightmares involve me losing air). There was a beautiful red haired girl somewhere in there, too.

I also like to think I'll become a cat in a future life. It just feels right

Thoughts of reincarnation are awesome :)

Maybe your previous life is what makes you so awesome at making mafias. :heh: