NEurope
Caris

So, Nintendo have pretty much confirmed the Wii is dead.

There's basically two factions. The one half who feel let down by the Wii, and are enjoying their other consoles. Or, the other half who are happy with the Wii and believe that it is still alive and kicking.

Personally (mostly) loving the Wii, but still thinking it belongs to the walking dead, due to the lacking third party support, where would that put me? ;)

It's a bit too early for a general "retrospective" thread, I believe, but as Caris said: Nintendo have basically set the countdown to the Wii's "death". Now it's a matter of letting it go with dignity and give it a few final releases. The time for new major projects on it has passed and it's a matter of releasing the projects still in development. Here is hoping Nintendo will finish up Skyward Sword in a more timely manner without delaying it infinitely again. I'd also like to see The Last Story localized besides Xenoblade. After a price drop and with a new Zelda to go with, the Wii should do fairly well in the holiday seasons this year.

Despite me loving the Wii, I'm probably mostly excited that it will be succeeded fairly soon. It means Nintendo will have a chance to show that they learned from the aspects where the Wii failed. Hopefully they will provide third parties with an attractive platform this time, while still managing to push gaming into new directions.

The one thing that I believe is more than a bit sad, is the state of motion controls at this point. Some things might have gone differently if Nintendo had managed to include gyros in the Wiimote from the start. The realization that motion control just isn't good for some things had inevitably set in at some point. But where they could really have been used in sensible ways by traditional games, they would have practically always required the precision offered by WiiMotion+.

As it stands, few games successfully demonstrate what Motion controls can add. There are golfing and the Wii-sports games which fit very naturally with motion controls, but are sports/party games. There is Red Steel 2 which I'm not even interested in. Lastly, there will be Zelda Skyward Sword, which - by the looks from the GDC trailer - will be the first game using motion controls, that really proves their worth in a traditional genre.

Yes. The Wii is dead. Sadly, after 5 years and over 86 million consoles sold it's only selling over 120,000 units a week with only one price drop in the US. I reckon warm dog poop would sell better. Long live everything that isn't Nintendo, especially consoles that have sold less and made massive operating losses. Woooop!

Edited by Zechs Merquise

The Wii is dead!

I rejoice because that means I can get on with playing the HEAP of amazing games on it that I've not been able to keep up with. Not even if you made gaming your full time job would you have been able to play all the quality releases on Wii over the years. Fantastic console.

Long live the Wii! :yay:

Yes. The Wii is dead. Sadly, after 5 years and over 86 million consoles sold it's only selling over 120,000 units a week with only one price drop in the US. I reckon warm dog poop would sell better. Long live everything that isn't Nintendo, especially consoles that have sold less and made massive operating losses. Woooop!

Mate, seriously you need to take a look at yourself...

To be honest, I think he made a brilliant post. The Wii isn't dead, not at all. So Iwata says it can no longer surprise us, hell, the 360 & PS3 are still yet to surprise us, does that mean they've always been dead?!

Edited by Kav

I think many people (especialy with these concepts) are forgetting the Wii's IR functions proved themselfs almost from day 1.

Not only making FPSs faster and more accurate then with sticks, but also making cursor based games (Zack and Wiki) infintely more playable. It might not have been as stable as a mouse but for the first time it was at least in the same ball park.

To me this really nailed the Wiimote/nunchucks best feature; That it could be used on a wide range of game types.

I worry quite a bit that these touchscreen ideas would be no where near as flexible.

Edited by Darkflame

Yes, the pointer and the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo is a case of ingenious controller design. Sadly, from what I've read and experienced within several horrible minutes of Red steel, shooters before Medal of Honor Heroes 2 didn't seem to get it. Motion Plus would have been a subtle help even here, as it could have helped to make the controls much smother when the pointer left the screen.

It'd be a sad loss, if the pointer won't make it to the "Cafe" in some form.

Well, Metroid and Conduit both use it well too.

Thing is - it only takes one great game to prove its good hardware, the rest you can put down to bad software design.

Incidently I didnt like either Red Steal. RS2 was decent at recognising motions but it failed to use it for the gameplay well.....it was basicly a set of prefix combos, not the analogue response most people expected. Really it didnt do anything buttons couldn't.

(well, for the sword play I mean)

Your wall of text lost credibility here. Both games on the GCN were better than their Wii sequels.

In your view - fine, But frankly I agree with him that TP was better then TWW.

TWW was, imho, style over substance. Another year and it could have been superb, as it stands it was clearly rushed for release to help the cubes flagging sales. It has the most insanely pretty graphics in area's (the volcano=wow), but the gameplay just doesnt hold out.

I think many people find TP suppiour - its certainly not "losing credibility" to find it so. TPs biggest weakness was simply it didnt change enough so it didnt feel as fresh, but in terms of absolute content it was less repedative, longer and more diverse then TWW.

Of course, however, the best Zelda game on the cube was clearly Beyond Good and Evil :grin:

Edited by Darkflame

TWW was, imho, style over substance. Another year and it could have been superb, as it stands it was clearly rushed for release to help the cubes flagging sales. It has the most insanely pretty graphics in area's (the volcano=wow), but the gameplay just doesnt hold out.

I think many people find TP suppiour - its certainly not "losing credibility" to find it so. TPs biggest weakness was simply it didnt change enough so it didnt feel as fresh, but in terms of absolute content it was less repedative, longer and more diverse then TWW.

There's no way of settling this, but you're wrong. The Twilight Princess had so much promise but was completely bland. The wolf sections were almost as dull as the sailing. At leats Wind Waker had a unique sense of humour and was a beauty of a game. And the intro, I don't even need to go into how awesome that was.

I recall that one epic cut scene from Twilight Princess, maybe I should replay it.

Meh. I don't know why this is a thread. Like other people have already said, there's still a few big hitters (hopefully) coming our way, and like many other people I also have a backlog (I just hooked up my GameCube again..).

And the main point, in my eyes, is.. I mean, there must be plenty of you young peoples out there, but grandpa here remembers a time where 5 years was standard. The Wii was great. has quite a nice library to call its own, and yes, the graphics were a disappointment (very generally speaking, as it wasn't a concern for me for most games), but that and more can be remedied by a new machine, which I'm looking forward to. And when I have that machine, it doesn't mean I'll stop playing my Wii. In fact, the only reason why my NES and SNES and N64 aren't hooked up right now, is because I don't really have the place for them.

No, you need to look at yourself. The Wii is not dead, it's still selling well, tens of millions of people are still playing their Wii's and it's going to be supported by developers for some time to come.

What's more, the Wii's pointer controls were a revolution for FPS games, just a shame that a load of self styled 'hardcore' gamers couldn't see past dual analog controls.

At leats Wind Waker had a unique sense of humour

So did TP; going into the town as a wolf, for example.

Or the insane bit with the cannon being built speeded up.

There was actualy quite a few funny moments. Bits in the fishing nut, or having the groopies follow you about after you win.

(...or bits so fantasticly bezire that they clearly had fun making them)

Not sure anything that was quite on level with "Splissssshhhhh", but I think your forgetting a lot of TP here. It certainly had a rather unique atmosphere to bits, as well as its own style of humour.

As for the wolf bits "bland" - if you say so. But unlike TWW, you almost always had a choice over how to expore. Walk,Ride or Wolf. Sometimes you didn't even need to ride your horse either.

------------

Overall; The idea that its "simply wrong" to prefer TP is nonsense.

What's more, the Wii's pointer controls were a revolution for FPS games, just a shame that a load of self styled 'hardcore' gamers couldn't see past dual analog controls.

yes -sigh-

I can understand a "mouse vs wiimote" debate, but argueing for dual analogue over it is just daft. Its like claiming DPads are better for 3d platformers :p

Edited by Darkflame

I can understand a "mouse vs wiimote" debate, but argueing for dual analogue over it is just daft. Its like claiming DPads are better for 3d platformers :p

D-pads are better for footy games!

The exceptions: Mario Footy on Gamecube and Wii footy games.

Not sure anything that was quite on level with "Splissssshhhhh", but I think your forgetting a lot of TP here. It certainly had a rather unique atmosphere to bits, as well as its own style of humour.

TWW_-_Salvatore.png

Squid and Splish.

That's all you need to know :D

Anyone who thinks the Wii is dead that hasn't played Monster Hunter Tri (probably not many people on here, but you never know :rolleyes:) seriously needs to get that game! And shut up. :heh:

Trust me when I say, you will find your Wii more than resurrected if you do. :wink:

Anyone who thinks the Wii is dead that hasn't played Monster Hunter Tri (probably not many people on here, but you never know :rolleyes:) seriously needs to get that game! And shut up. :heh:

Trust me when I say, you will find your Wii more than resurrected if you do. :wink:

There's definitely a good (and overwhelming) 20h gameplay to be had before distraction sets in. :heh: For some reason MH Tri made me want to play Rune Factory.

No, you need to look at yourself. The Wii is not dead, it's still selling well, tens of millions of people are still playing their Wii's and it's going to be supported by developers for some time to come.

It's not a case of self styled hardcore gamers not seeing past dual analog controls. It's a case of people having their preferred input methods. I hate keyboard and mouse cannot get used to it for example. Also your very mistaken if you think its going to be supported by developers for some time to come in a meaningful way. This christmas will be the last one for the Wii effectively sure it will still keep a presence in stores due to the large number of owners. The Wii will in no way have the long legs the PS2 had.

But in terms of new releases I can't see there being anything more than what ever Nintendo has lined up and the usual sports titles, movie tie in and party games. What third parties are going to put money and resources into developing a big title on a console that they struggle to sell on as it is let alone one thats set to be replaced relatively soon.

Edited by flameboy

When I look at the PS3 sure I've enjoyed titles like Uncharted, Wipeout, Assassins Creed, FIFA, Mass Effect 2, Dead Space, Little Big Planet.

But...I've had more "moments" of fun with the Wii than any other console has ever provided me. I've been able to replay my favourite NES/SNES/N64/Gamegear/MegaDrive/NeoGeo games from one system and even get to play arcade titles like Golden Axe all over again. Then I've been able to play the most inventive Mario game in years (Galaxy) and then get a sequel almost immediately. I've also been able to enjoy reinventions of the FPS genre, sports games and point and click games.

For me the Wii may be on the way out but it isn't dead. It still has life inside it. If the VC was pulled and the retail side of things was no more it would be dead. Third parties have long since identified that Wii was "unreasonable" for them to develop for. But look at a title like Just Dance. If games are made for motion and are unique they do well.

The wii never really saw an excellent AAA title really developed properly by a big western developer. But when I was using Wii to get fit, play archery with more immersion than ever before whilst enjoying staple Nintendo classics like never before (so much Metroid, Mario, Donkey Kong and classics to play), I just didn't care.

Third parties: The Wii was your loss. You had a console that had a vast user base for all ages yet because the "tech" wasn't as strong as other consoles you went didn't bother. In my opinion that shows what a sorry state the industry is in. It shouldn't be about the power of tech. It should be about the power of imagination and craft.

Edited by tapedeck

There's definitely a good (and overwhelming) 20h gameplay to be had before distraction sets in.
20h!? :D Yeah right and the rest.

20h!? :D Yeah right and the rest.

I got a couple of hours out of it (at most :indeed:) and realised I couldn't be arsed :heh:

I got a couple of hours out of it (at most :indeed:) and realised I couldn't be arsed :heh:
You lazy... :woops::heh:

I'll let you and Stevo off though, as I know you guys still love the Wii. :hug:

You lazy... :woops::heh:

I'll let you and Stevo off though, as I know you guys still love the Wii. :hug:

Yeh.. it just didn't quite grab me, unfortunately :hmm:

If it was all I had to play, I'm sure I could maybe have got into it and got something from it but the fact is that there is too much else I want to play on the Wii that would take preference over it : peace:

Yeh.. it just didn't quite grab me, unfortunately :hmm:

If it was all I had to play, I'm sure I could maybe have got into it and got something from it but the fact is that there is too much else I want to play on the Wii that would take preference over it : peace:

Fair play man. :smile:

What's on your Wii backlog BTW, is it as big as darksnowman's epic list? :hehe:

Third parties: The Wii was your loss. You had a console that had a vast user base for all ages yet because the "tech" wasn't as strong as other consoles you went didn't bother. In my opinion that shows what a sorry state the industry is in. It shouldn't be about the power of tech. It should be about the power of imagination and craft.

I'm sorry but this isn't true, there are plenty of great 3rd party games that just didn't sell. Nintendo consoles have always had this problem, I don't think its a support problem, they want to get there and sell games on Nintendo consoles, now its just cracking that conundrum.

Edited by flameboy