NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Well we did get that small after credits scene. So I expect we are getting Super Mario Bros 2: Revenge of the Yoshi. 

Super Mario Bros: 2 Yoshi 2 Brrrrrrnggggggggggious

Sat and watched John Cena's new film (Ricky Stanicky) that arrived on Amazon this week. It was pretty hilarious. Crude but funny.
After watching it I was thinking just how much better and diverse both Cena and Batista are than The Rock when it comes to acting. 
I was confused why Zac Efron looked so weird. He clearly has had work done on his face. A quick Google revealed that he apparently smashed his face in and his jaw was hanging off. Needed lots of surgery to fix it. No idea how true it is though as I know Hollywood stars have a thing about admitting they've had things like plastic surgery.

Dwayne is making bank though, so whatever he's doing is clearly working for him (including all the weird not-allowed-to-lose-a-fight clauses).

Dude's obviously not looking to win an Oscar or anything, so if you can star in films, be the hero and make money doing it, why would you deviate from that formula?

Bautista is a weird one, because he's obviously a great actor, and wants to branch out into more serious roles, but I feel like the fact that he's built like a fucking rhinoceros is holding him back in getting those roles. He just isn't believable playing an accountant or a HR manager or anything.

22 minutes ago, bob said:

Dwayne is making bank though, so whatever he's doing is clearly working for him (including all the weird not-allowed-to-lose-a-fight clauses).

Yeah, it's fine, as you said, it's working for him, I just think the other two guys have branched out more and shown how good they are in front of the camera. I love The Rock but there's no denying he's become a bit of a meme when it comes to his movie roles.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, it's fine, as you said, it's working for him, I just think the other two guys have branched out more and shown how good they are in front of the camera. I love The Rock but there's no denying he's become a bit of a meme when it comes to his movie roles.

I do wonder if people are going to be a bit more hesitant to use him after Black Adam. I don't think he'll struggle for roles but his reaction to that movie doing crap, blaming everything but the movie itself must have left a bad taste in mouths. It certainly made me see him in a new light and I used to love The Rock.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I do wonder if people are going to be a bit more hesitant to use him after Black Adam. I don't think he'll struggle for roles but his reaction to that movie doing crap, blaming everything but the movie itself must have left a bad taste in mouths. It certainly made me see him in a new light and I used to love The Rock.

That's pretty much how I feel. If certain stories are to be believed, he's become very arrogant in recent years. 

2 hours ago, bob said:

Bautista is a weird one, because he's obviously a great actor, and wants to branch out into more serious roles, but I feel like the fact that he's built like a fucking rhinoceros is holding him back in getting those roles. He just isn't believable playing an accountant or a HR manager or anything.

Have you seen him in Knock at the Cabin? That seems to a very different role for him and he seemed to pull it off. But yeah, we won’t be seeing him as the kid who gets bullied in a coming of age film. Though (and I’m not saying the should make it) but I could so see him playing Mr Incredible in a non animated version. 

I see Cena was at the Oscars. :laughing:

_132884547_gettyimages-2074710574.jpg.we

The award for costume design won't be easily forgotten this year, thanks to the presentation by John Cena.

Prompted by Kimmel, Cena - a wrestler and actor - appeared on stage entirely naked, save for a pair of Birkenstocks and a strategically placed envelope carrying the name of the winner.

Cena shuffled on stage to the sound of roaring laughter, before a quick exchange with Kimmel - one of the better sketches of the evening.

"The male body is not supposed to be funny," Cena said.

"Mine is," Kimmel replied.

• Haha 1

Happy to see Godzilla Minus One got it's Oscar for best visual effects. Got to admit I wasn't actually expecting it to win.

For any Robocop fans out there, Robodoc is up on Amazon Prime.

My favourite film so looking forward to watching it.

• Thanks 2

Just got done watching Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One. I'm not a massive fan of the series but for the most part I think they're ok (except 1 which I think is great) but I thought this was one of the weaker ones. The threat was ill defined and left no real tension. Stakes at times felt very forced and the new bad guy from Ethan's past crested for this movie felt pointless. I swear it's not the Marvel fan in me but the only two I really enjoyed were Hayley Atwell and Pom Klementieff.

Posted (edited)

I can confirm that the new Ghoustbusters and its associated bustin' did make me feel good. If you liked Afterlife you should enjoy this. 

Yet they seem to have deleted the scene where someone bursts onto the scene and beats the shit out of Patton Oswald, which seems to get cut out of everything he's in.

Spoiler

They seem to have confused this with destiny

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I also saw Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire yesterday and really enjoyed it. Granted, my opinion is going to be a little biased, but I think its a very enjoyable film. Most of the jokes got a laugh out of me and every funny scene landed. The audience in the cinema i was in seemed to enjoy the film just as much as I did. This film was almost the Ghostbusters sequel i wanted since i saw the second movie back in 1989. It also felt a little like the Real Ghostbusters Cartoon at times, which worked pretty well in making it fun to watch.

Kumail Nanjiani and James Acaster were both stand outs for me, it's a shame that Acaster didn't get more screen time. I enjoyed seeing the original Ghostbusters and i like how they are a part of what is going on in a very casual/natural way.

My only issues is that the movie seems to rush things in the final 10-15 minutes and maybe that whole part of the movie should have been longer/or they should have cut some of the stuff in the middle of the movie so they had more room/time at the end. I was not a fan of:

Spoiler

the whole subplot of Phoebe meeting and befriending a ghost. Although their relationship directly lead to the main plot of the movie, it just reminded me of Casper. The idea what Phoebe turning herself into a ghost to be close to her just seemed silly. I would rather none of that stuff had happened and Kuamils character, Nadeem, had saved the day without her help

Edited by Helmsly

James Acaster was great, his scream proved he had the acting chops and I was greatly impressed 

Kumail on the other hand plays the same role he does in every film.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Didn't realise they were making another one. I've bought the 3rd one on iTunes but not got around to watching it yet.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Didn't realise they were making another one. I've bought the 3rd one on iTunes but not got around to watching it yet.

Third one is great. Its hard to pick which is my fav out of one and two though. 

I've been watching some movies over the past few days. It's funny, since cancelling everything but Prime, I have found myself more focused on what I'm watching. I think choice paralysis was certainly a thing when I had a bunch of subs. Over the past few days I have watched...

The Negotiator - Haven't seen this since it was released on DVD. Great movie and cracking performances by Kevin Spacey and Sam Jackson. 

Coach Carter - Love this movie. I'm always a sucker for a true story, especially one that involves sports. It's up there with Remember the Titans and Miracle.

Love this scene.

Spoiler

The ending always bums me out though. Them getting beat at the end is a proper downer on a sports film.

The Upside - I've seen this before but wanted to give it a watch again. It's one of those times where an actor shows what they can do if they step out of their comfort zone. Kevin Hart is still funny in it but there is a serious side to him, which makes sense given the gravity of the narrative, and he really pulls it off.

Ghostbusters 1 + 2 - Still absolute classics. I will always be in the camp of preferring the second over the first. Don't get me wrong, both are still amazing but I just find the second more likable. Vigo over Gozer any day. I didn't realise that the actor for Vigo didn't get to use his own voice in the film. He didn't find out until the premiere and was fuming. :D Watching the movie made me think of the cereal boxes that came out during it's release. You got free stickers in certain cereals and you could place them on the back of the box to create a scene.

GKyVuyPWgAAqXC_?format=jpg&name=360x360Image

I've not seen/thought about these in decades. Really brought back the memories. Being a big Ghostbusters fan, do you remember them, @Helmsly

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/04/2024 at 8:29 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Ghostbusters 1 + 2 - Still absolute classics. I will always be in the camp of preferring the second over the first. Don't get me wrong, both are still amazing but I just find the second more likable. Vigo over Gozer any day. I didn't realise that the actor for Vigo didn't get to use his own voice in the film. He didn't find out until the premiere and was fuming. :D

Yeah, its Ghostbusters 2 for me as well. Like you said, both are amazing movies but the second is more likeable and I think has a nice feel to it.

Perhaps this is because they took into account kids that had become Ghostbuster fans in the time that had past since first movie, thanks to the cartoon and toys and stuff, so they made it more kid friendly. I also agree that Vigo is a better villain. We get to see/hear him many times before he actually materializes so he is like a looming threat, unlike Gozer who we just hear about once or twice. Theb she shows up at the end, asks the Ghostbusters are Gods, does a backlip and disapears lol

On 10/04/2024 at 8:29 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Watching the movie made me think of the cereal boxes that came out during it's release. You got free stickers in certain cereals and you could place them on the back of the box to create a scene.

GKyVuyPWgAAqXC_?format=jpg&name=360x360Image

I've not seen/thought about these in decades. Really brought back the memories. Being a big Ghostbusters fan, do you remember them, @Helmsly

Funny enough, no, I don't remember these at all!. I remember that around the time Burger King had a pretty bizarre promotion where you got a "Ghost in a can" with their equivalent of a Happy Meal:

nlrU2px.jpeg

These were literally a sealed can of nothing lol

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

After the success of last year's animated hit film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Paramount Pictures is keeping turtle power going by putting a new feature project into development.

This one, however, will go beyond the realm of the all-ages material the long-standing property is known for and instead go into gritty, R-rated, territory.

Paramount is developing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin, adapting a popular storyline seen in the recent IDW comics, as a live-action feature with the intent of making it for an R-rating.

Tyler Burton Smith, who co-wrote the upcoming R-rated action movie Boy Kills World and who wrote the 2019 iteration of Chucky horror franchise Child's Play, is penning the script.

Walter Hamada is producing through his 18hz production company as part of his multi-year deal with the studio. Hamada is the former head of DC Films who rose through the ranks at New Line, where he oversaw the Warner Bros. division's horror movies, including The Conjuring and It franchises. His 18hz banner is focused on making features in the horror genre.

And Last Ronin is about as terrifying as a Turtles tale can get. Set in a totalitarian future New York City, the comic mini-series told of how the Turtles and master Splinter are killed off one by one by the grandson of the villainous Shredder and synthetic ninjas. One Turtle manages to survive, barely, and vows to exact bloody vengeance. 

Man, this could be really special if they get it right, which they probably won't.

Last Ronin was a great book so I look forward to seeing what they do with it. Would have been awesome if they made it a sequel to the original live action movies.

On 10/04/2024 at 10:11 PM, Helmsly said:

Yeah, its Ghostbusters 2 for me as well. Like you said, both are amazing movies but the second is more likeable and I think has a nice feel to it.

Perhaps this is because they took into account kids that had become Ghostbuster fans in the time that had past since first movie, thanks to the cartoon and toys and stuff, so they made it more kid friendly. I also agree that Vigo is a better villain. We get to see/hear him many times before he actually materializes so he is like a looming threat, unlike Gozer who we just hear about once or twice. Theb she shows up at the end, asks the Ghostbusters are Gods, does a backlip and disapears lol

Funny enough, no, I don't remember these at all!. I remember that around the time Burger King had a pretty bizarre promotion where you got a "Ghost in a can" with their equivalent of a Happy Meal:

nlrU2px.jpeg

These were literally a sealed can of nothing lol

I can understand why people choose GB2 (the courtroom scene for me will be the greatest and the outbreak scene too) but for me, 1984 has me in a chokehold with its quotes, charm and humour. The second one does have its moments, don't get me wrong, but I feel like 1984 has this perfect blend of comedy which both kids and adults can enjoy, supernatural horror and wit.

For me though, GB2's ending kind of ruins it. It just didn't feel much like a fight. I don't know. It was a bit underwhelming in that respect but I do love the movie anyway because it's Ghostbusters and it's nice seeing the gang together. But if I had to choose between the two, 1984 all the way. Actually, for me, having rewatched all of them, if I had to rank them...

1984 > Afterlife > Frozen Empire > GB2 > 2016

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Beast said:

I can understand why people choose GB2 (the courtroom scene for me will be the greatest and the outbreak scene too) but for me, 1984 has me in a chokehold with its quotes, charm and humour. The second one does have its moments, don't get me wrong, but I feel like 1984 has this perfect blend of comedy which both kids and adults can enjoy, supernatural horror and wit.

For me though, GB2's ending kind of ruins it. It just didn't feel much like a fight. I don't know. It was a bit underwhelming in that respect but I do love the movie anyway because it's Ghostbusters and it's nice seeing the gang together. But if I had to choose between the two, 1984 all the way. Actually, for me, having rewatched all of them, if I had to rank them...

1984 > Afterlife > Frozen Empire > GB2 > 2016

Yeah, i think GB1 is objectively a better movie but i enjoy GB2 more because of the age I was when it came out and the overall feel of it. I had both GB1 and 2 on VHS as a kid, i'd rewatch them many times but i think i rewatched GB2 more, it's just a more enjoyable feel good movie for me.

Funny you mentioned the ending of GB2, I recently found out the original ending was for Vigo to walk out of the painting, rather then just materialize out of no where. They had created and filmed everything:

71284-gb-candid-1-1-553e994ba60b694b4173

71284-gb-candid-2-copy-0-4b78a2806c91ca9

But in the end, Ivan Reitman wasn't happy with it an changed the ending:

Though Eytchison was very happy with the results of the “test” shoot, something about it—Eytchison still isn't sure exactly what—just didn’t work for Reitman. “Ivan changed the entire ending,” Eytchison says. The director decided to replace the living picture scenes with a visual effect of Vigo’s disembodied head floating over a river of slime. At the end of the film, the villain doesn’t step out of the painting, but disappears from it, then reappears in the scene. Eytchison and his team weren't called back for the final shoot, which is why Vigo looks so different at the end of the film.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/71284/creating-vigo-carpathian-and-ghostbusters-ii-ending-you-never-saw

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 2