NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Wow, I'm really not liking the look of this.
I know the concept of giant animals fighting each other is a bit silly, but this one looks ridiculous. Why is Godzilla neon pink now? Why does Kong have a metal hand? Who made it?

"For most of human civilization we believed that life could only exist on the surface of our planet". 

Pretty sure humans have known about fish for a long time. 

Just got back from Godzilla Minus One and I'll do full thoughts tomorrow (it's past my bedtime!) but a warning to @Happenstanceand others.

They started the film and some things weren't subtitled so I thought "hmm maybe it's just unimportant stuff" then it became obvious it wasn't that. Few people started going out to speak to staff and eventually could see the top of the next line so it was clear the image was too zoomed in and if it was only one line you couldn't see that. 

After they paused and zoomed in (making it worse) people went again. Eventually they reset the film (10 minutes in at this point) and had to come back after a few minutes and zoom out. 

The subtitles were below the image itself so I think it is the file rather than the cinema and there's a chance it could be fixed beforehand but might be an issue with screenings so perhaps best to be cautious. 

Okay now for the actual thoughts on the film

Spoiler

It's a good film. I have not watched all 34 Godzilla films but I like when they are a good allegory for something else. The original was a reflection on the war and atomic bombings, Shin was about the Tohoku earthquake etc. This seemed a bit less obvious other than "the government is useless/doesn't care about people", but felt reflective of the country's history. I saw the director mentioned the film got interrupted by Covid and he gave allusions to it in the film so maybe it's that. 

There's a few twists towards the end. One is pretty obvious (more so if you speak German), one hit me a few moments before and I felt it was a bit cheap but I saw some people say it's a good reflection of the randomness of war and the suggestion Godzilla would return is pretty obvious but unsure if they actually plan to do another film or simply to put it out there. 

Good visuals too and there were a few shots of Godzilla swimming with its head above water and I couldn't help but think of this:

happy-dog.gif

And the character Kenji Noda is a style icon. Tried to find a decent picture but couldn't. 

Just finished watching Godzilla Minus One myself. I'll also post some proper thoughts later but I can absolutely say I loved it. Massive smile on my face anytime the classic Godzilla music hit!

A few posters for the upcoming Ghostbusters movie just came out:

GBuB4zQWwAAy3nr?format=jpg&name=large

GBuB2eDW8AA4KtJ?format=jpg&name=large

jsTSoWc.jpg

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 4

Also saw Godzilla Minus One at the weekend and thought it was really good. The above endorsement made it a priority. Probably by default the best thing I've seen all year because cinema has been fairly cack as far as I mind. Easily recommend it if there's a showing near you.

• Like 1

I have seen the worst movie of 2023 in my opinion: Sumotherhood.

It just wasn't funny and it felt rather dated. Every character was annoying and loud for the sake of cheap laughs that didn't hit most of the time. A couple of scenes were pretty funny but then became too long and instantly became bland. 

I think this might've been funny in the early or later 2000s but in 2023, I don't think it works...

Grabbed The Super Mario Bros Movie and TMNT Mutant Mayhem in this week's iTunes sale so those should be good to watch over Christmas with my niece and nephew (immediately after buying Mario I saw that it was one of this week's Sky Cinema premieres :laughing:). Haven't seen either of them yet so looking forward to it myself, TMNT especially just looks gorgeous.

On 22/12/2023 at 7:40 AM, Happenstance said:

Grabbed The Super Mario Bros Movie and TMNT Mutant Mayhem in this week's iTunes sale so those should be good to watch over Christmas with my niece and nephew (immediately after buying Mario I saw that it was one of this week's Sky Cinema premieres :laughing:). Haven't seen either of them yet so looking forward to it myself, TMNT especially just looks gorgeous.

Did you watch TMNT? Amazon had it to rent for a couple of quid and so I just watched it. I thought it was great. The animation was awesome and I loved the new take on the origin of their combat skills. :D The writing was pretty hilarious as well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you watch TMNT? Amazon had it to rent for a couple of quid and so I just watched it. I thought it was great. The animation was awesome and I loved the new take on the origin of their combat skills. :D The writing was pretty hilarious as well.

I haven't yet but plan to in the next few days. Watched Mario which I thought was good but not great. Fun enough, especially for fans who noticed all the easter eggs they peppered in but I thought it could have used a bit more of a story. Also thought that Chris Pratt was the weakest part.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2023 at 4:11 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Just finished watching it. Really enjoyed it as well. Absolutely gorgeous animation and a fun story. My only complaints would be that I would have preferred the Turtles to be a bit more competent and I thought some of the voices for the Turtles themselves were a bit weak. At times they didn't seem distinctive enough and others I thought actually swapping the voice actors around a bit would have worked better. Michelangelo especially never sounded like himself to me.

Great movie though. I'd probably still rank the original 90s movie higher but only because of those reasons I mentioned.

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed it. I quite liked them being clumsy and noobish. Kinda made sense given they had never fought before. The first fight they get into at the garage was hilarious. :D

Spoiler

I completely lost it when one of them gets stabbed in the leg and Donnie complains that he's only got a stick to fight with.

Watched the recent Uncharted film on Netflix. I actually thought it was rather good! It had a great adventure vibe like a lot of films from the 90's and early 2000's. 

I know it was rather poorly received when it came out, but I actually think it captures a lot of the feel from the games (granted i've only played the first two), but i thought the whole segment in Barcelona and subsequent trip to Indonesia very reminiscent of the games, and the plot could have been taken straight from the games.

I get that Tom Holland and Marky Mark weren't the best casted, but i understand them wanting to go with younger actors in case they end up making multiple sequels (don't want a guy playing Drake well into his 60s).

Spoiler

Although physically nonsense, i thought the end action sequence with the pirate ships suspended from the helicopters was incredible - reminded my a bit of the sort of spectacles that POTC would come up with. Very silly, but very fun to watch.

Gonna try to see more movies this year and will start with this one next Tuesday:

Don't know if it's coming here but this is pretty neat

• Like 2

Yeah if it does come out over here as well id be tempted to go see it again.

Anatomy of a Fall is incredible, by the way.

Next movie I want to see:

There's only one screening with original dubbing here in my city early in February. Gonna pre-order tickets soon :peace:

MV5BMjkxY2YyZmYtOWRmYy00YmI0LWFiYjktNjJm

Watched this last week. Turns out the Alps are beautiful, who knew?

A good film about friendship, generational trauma, "finding yourself" etc. Some really interesting narrative work done; the way it threads the stories of the two main leads, how their lives echo that of their fathers etc.

Good_grief_poster.jpg

Straight away the female lead character is really annoying. Like "why would anyone be friends with you" annoying. And I put up with that for most of it but there's a bit towards the end of the film where both the friends are just absolute dicks to the main character and helping someone through grief is difficult, but it felt so self-centered that I felt really put off in that moment. Did eventually pull it back but still, difficult to get past the feeling of "this would be much better with some character rewrites".

Still, a good exploration of grief.

MV5BNGIyYWMzNjktNDE3MC00YWQyLWEyMmEtN2Zm

I knew it was going to be weird going in but nothing can quite prepare you for how weird. Sometimes leans into the worst excesses of art house cinema too much, but it's certainly unique and Emma Stone puts in one hell of a performance. Had no idea it would be so explicit either. 

MV5BZmYzMjMzN2EtMGYwNi00ODc3LWI3YTctMjA5

Second weekend in a row I've watched a film about grief and loss. Let's not get too Frasier about that. 

But again, it's got good performances and really punches you in the emotions. 

• Like 1

I've not done much gaming over the past week and instead have just been coming in from work and cabbaging on the couch watching old movies. Over the past week I've watched...

• Big Daddy
  • Mr Deeds
  • The Hot Chick
  • Deuce Bigelow
  • Click
  • 50 First Dates
  • Barbershop
  • Barbershop 2
  • Barbershop: The Next Cut
  • Think Like a Man
  • My Cousin Vinnie
  • The Proposal
  • Bruce Almighty
  • Black Knight
  • Robin Hood: Men in Tights
  • Big Momma's House

Lots of late 90s-early 2000s comedies there. Some of them have aged well but others were a little rough, with Men in Tights and The Hot Chick being the worst of the bunch. At least The Hot Chick had Adam Sandler show up as the stoned guy. I completely forgot he made an appearance. Sandler's films still hold up well. I don't think I will ever get tired of watching his movies.

International trailer is different:

Edited by Helmsly

On 1/28/2024 at 7:27 PM, Ashley said:

it's got good performances and really punches you in the emotions. 

Sweet.
I'll know tomorrow if a friend has time to watch a preview of All of Us Strangers next Sunday. If not, I'll probably have to wait a few weeks before I see it.

Thinking about getting a ticket for Poor Things on Friday. If I do, it'll be the first time I'll go to the cinema by myself.