NEurope
McPhee

What does beer mean to you?

Over here beers are like, our national drinks or something. Belgians take pride in the many many beers that are produced here and the quality of them. It's a bit weird that Stella Artois is sold so much abroad, when many people here wouldn't consider it very good I think.

I don't drink beer myself. I've tried it once or twice, but I didn't like the taste of it at all. Maybe if I tried different types I would find one I like, but I don't feel like trying. =P

The only beer I'll drink is Kriek, which is beer with cherries heh.

Never used to be much of a fan (its very sweet/sugary in my opinion) but had a lot around my birthday given to me for one reason or another. I will drink it, fine, but not my drink of choice.

Hardly, if you don't like it you don't like it. Drink something else instead. If your mates are taking the piss out of you for not drinking it are they really your mates?

Wow, you truly underestimate the power of social constructions. In Denmark, beer's by far the cheapest and most widely drunk beverage, and you're truly strange if you don't participate in the mass consumption of it, especially as a teenager.

I've tried beer several times, but I still dislike the taste. I much prefer a good cider.

Wow, you truly underestimate the power of social constructions. In Denmark, beer's by far the cheapest and most widely drunk beverage, and you're truly strange if you don't participate in the mass consumption of it, especially as a teenager.

I've tried beer several times, but I still dislike the taste. I much prefer a good cider.

That's exactly the same here but if you don't like beer then don't drink it. Your peers shouldn't be making fun of you because you're drinking something else.

That's exactly the same here but if you don't like beer then don't drink it. Your peers shouldn't be making fun of you because you're drinking something else.

Of course not. Doesn't stop them from doing it and you being pressured into drinking it, though. [/harsh generalisation]

Of course it's not that bad everywhere, but it's a huge part of the youth culture and thus shouldn't be underestimated. Personally I've always been the weird one out, so I was never that bothered by not following suit on it, though.

Never used to be much of a fan (its very sweet/sugary in my opinion) but had a lot around my birthday given to me for one reason or another. I will drink it, fine, but not my drink of choice.

Beer is sweet? I've always thought it was quite... bitter or something. If it was sweet I'd drink it no problem. =P

As for peer pressure, I've never felt that. But then I never went out so maybe I missed all the pressure haha. Just drink whatever you want to drink, doesn't matter if people "make fun" of it or not. Like my mom would say: "If everyone jumps off a cliff, will you do it too?".

Beer is sweet? I've always thought it was quite... bitter or something. If it was sweet I'd drink it no problem. =P

As for peer pressure, I've never felt that. But then I never went out so maybe I missed all the pressure haha. Just drink whatever you want to drink, doesn't matter if people "make fun" of it or not. Like my mom would say: "If everyone jumps off a cliff, will you do it too?".

I know I had a beer once and it was rotten!!! No way in hell is it sweet or I would've necked it!!! xD

Of course not. Doesn't stop them from doing it and you being pressured into drinking it, though. [/harsh generalisation]

Of course it's not that bad everywhere, but it's a huge part of the youth culture and thus shouldn't be underestimated. Personally I've always been the weird one out, so I was never that bothered by not following suit on it, though.

I've personally never felt pressured into drinking it. I know exactly what you mean but you can be pressured into doing anything. I've never smoked or taken drugs yet people have tried to get me to do both.

I didn't think I liked beer (preferring lagers like Carling or Becks, etc) but when I went to Belgium I tried their beers and loved pretty much all of them. So it's just English beers I don't like it seems.

Not a fan of beer at all. I drink Whisky/Bourbon and coke. Mates used to take the mickey out of me but they all have beer bellies now.

These days there are more than enough drinks for all tastes.

Harsh but true.

Then again the friends I make fun of generally throw it right back, and we all have a good laugh.

As for beer being sweet, most aren't but I have had a few sweet beers. Such as this,

699-1.jpg

It had quite a sweet flavor to it.

It's a bit weird that Stella Artois is sold so much abroad, when many people here wouldn't consider it very good I think.

It's not very good, just a brand and relatively cheap. There's a reason why its nicknamed "Wife Beater".

Not a good kind of sweet like...overloaded with sugar. And then with added sugar on top.

But then this was the beer my friends used to drink so I doubt it was good quality.

Lager tastes like shit. Bottled beers range from shite to halfway enjoyable.

I drink cider 95% of the time when drinking things that last. Primarily fruity ciders (Elderflower and lime Koppaberg for the win), but strongbow when I'm feeling cheap.

I like things that taste nice. I can't comprehend how drinking lager tasts nice to anyone.

That being said, I do find some ales half decent. I used to drink newcastle brown when I was younger.

Here's a question to Stella drinkers (or non-Stella drinkers) - What do you think of it? In terms of the marketing, it tries to show itself as a beer which has some class about it but in reality it has the name "wife-beater" colloquially. Do you buy it because you want to be classy or do you just buy it because its cheap?

It's flavorless pap that tries to market itself as being premium and French, despite it being a Belgian brand brewed in Burton and being as bog-standard and working class as Carling or Fosters. There's a lack of any kind of distinctive flavour due to the low amount of hops used and the carbonation is too strong for my liking.

So in a nutshell, I think it's a poor Pilsner, but brilliantly marketed one. How they can make anyone believe that it's premium and continental is beyond me. It's far from either.

English ale for me.

It's spring, it's sunny, it's pleasantly warm. I've been out all day photographing local villages. I have a nice pint of Fuller's London Pride, Adnam's Bitter or Broadside, or Greene King Abbot Ale. As I drink it, I imagine some unrealistic, medieval, fantasy version of England or the days of Robin Hood. I know I'm a romanticist, but that's what beer's about to me.

English ale for me.

It's spring, it's sunny, it's pleasantly warm. I've been out all day photographing local villages. I have a nice pint of Fuller's London Pride, Adnam's Bitter or Broadside, or Greene King Abbot Ale. As I drink it, I imagine some unrealistic, medieval, fantasy version of England or the days of Robin Hood. I know I'm a romanticist, but that's what beer's about to me.

Think you've had a few too many today mate. :grin:

Hardly, if you don't like it you don't like it. Drink something else instead. If your mates are taking the piss out of you for not drinking it are they really your mates?

That bit was just a general statement for all alcohol. I've yet to find an alcoholic drink that I like the taste of (other than Dr Pepper and Vodka, which you can't really get on a night out).

Beer tastes like arse to me.

My drink of preference is this:

Brothers_Strawberry_Mixed_Pear_Cider_500ml.jpg

It's lovely. Along with a bottle of this:

jacques_cider.png

I love fruity tasting stuff. Such as fruit. Fruit flavoured drinks = yummm.

Think you've had a few too many today mate. :grin:

Well after all, I am the Greene King!

greeneking.jpg

jacques_cider.png

I love fruity tasting stuff. Such as fruit. Fruit flavoured drinks = yummm.

I need this, NOW.

Beer? I like. Irish beer is good.

I had a glass of Jacques tonight (the red one, forgot its name), the only cider I really like.

I was always the weird one out too. Everybody would be drinking Carling or Vodka or something and then there's me with Guinness. I usually get took the mick out of for having a pint but it's true what Charlie has been saying: If you don't like it, don't have it.

Hell, if I let peer pressure get to me, I'd be in such a bad place right now, lol.

Well if we're doing drinks of preferences I'll have a glass of Moet please.

Although after having pancakes earlier (avec lemon) I want a gin and bitter lemon.