NEurope
Happenstance

Grand Theft Auto 5

Im really in the mood for a new GTA game at the moment so while I wait hoping for an announcement of some kind I thought we may as well talk about it.

Anything in particular you guys are hoping for in the next GTA game?

Personally im hoping they bring a bit more of the fun back from the previous games. GTA IV's city was impressive but once you were done with the missions there didnt feel like there was a lot to do. With the older GTAs I could just mess about for hours in the worlds.

They need to make the missions more open. It's too much of a juxtaposition to have such an expansive city and then have each mission put your creative balls in a clamp.

Also: make it shorter! GTAIV was much improved by The Lost and Damned because the latter had such a brief span- I simply don't give two fucks about Nico because his quest for revenge was nothing but a mcguffin stretched too thin. By comparison, The Lost provided a compelling narrative because the characters were good and the story had momentum.

In fact, fuck a main story. Lets have a bunch of protagonists all across the city all with short stories to tell.

Thats a good idea actually, finishing one persons story then moving onto the next could help keep it fresh. Plus you could have things link into previous characters stories as the GTA DLC did.

Better restart points for missions are needed. I think it was the bank mission in GTAIV that took me quite a few tries and I got so sick of having to drive all the way back every time!

I think slightly less killing on a mission would be good... I know you have to put in the cover based action shooter to make it appeal to the average gamer, but all that effort to make a realistic sandbox city and then you let me get away with murdering 35 cops with an assault rifle after robbing a bank? And all I have to do is spray-paint my car and they forget about me? The entire world would be after someone if they did that.

I had a similar problem with Red Dead Redemption. How can I murder all these soldiers/rebels just to help me find one man? And then turn around to Bonnie McFarlane and say 'I only kill people who deserve it'.

Yeah that's a huge problem in these games- there's just no way any kind of narrative can be sustainable and believable under the stress of that body count. It makes no sense.

Especially now that they have tried to make it more serious, it was a lot easier to suspend disbelief in the older games.

Saints Row 3.

Seriously though, (even though I wasn't really joking) I'd like a GTA not in America. GTA London would have me weeping with joy.

I want the whole driving aspect to be revamped. I really hated the car physics and handling in GTAIV. The map also seemed to be designed partly for aesthetics, and partly for locations where the shooting missions took place.

I want the map to be designed so you can have brilliant car chases. I want fun handling so you can get round corners a lot easier (the chances in the city felt like both cars were moving at an average 5mph).

I also have an idea for a car aiming mechanic, but I don't know how well it would actually work. Basically, you would click the right stick to turn the aiming on. This would create a Picture-in-Picture view in one of the corners, where you would use the right stick to aim/turn the camera on the PiP while still having the main screen with the standard car view. So you can still drive easily while shooting at targets around you.

Basically: I want epic car chases with explosions, shooting, stunts. Everything.

Did anyone else have problems with the camera while driving? I always found that I had to just slighty pull back on the right stick all the time so I could get a good view of the road.

Did anyone else have problems with the camera while driving? I always found that I had to just slighty pull back on the right stick all the time so I could get a good view of the road.

Yup. I had exactly the same problem in Burnout Paradise (for that I developed a strange way of holding the controller so I could hold the right stick in place while still enabling me access to the face buttons and triggers).

No phone calls, no complicated story and police that stick on your arse forever after 2 stars, so that I can have fun like I did playing Vice City.

No phone calls, no complicated story and police that stick on your arse forever after 2 stars, so that I can have fun like I did playing Vice City.

This.

I've played Vice City at least 100 hours. Never touched GTA IV after I've finished it.

Playing Vice City was so much more fun mainly because it wasn't that realistic. Fuck GTA 5, give me Vice City with the GTA IV engine (except for the driving physics).

GTAIV free roam online with a few of your mates, lots of pedestrians, no police and low traffic was a lot of fun.

I think the multiplayer would have been a lot more fun if it hadnt been for all the other people playing :p I was really looking forward to free roam before it came out but you ended up getting killed by the same person a lot with the terrible spawning.

One thing I did like though was getting someone in a helicopter with you, flying up really high then bailing out :p

Saints Row 3.

Seriously though, (even though I wasn't really joking) I'd like a GTA not in America. GTA London would have me weeping with joy.

No mate, London is gray and boring (just like the rest of England).

GTA Tokyo, is the way to go. ;)

I think the multiplayer would have been a lot more fun if it hadnt been for all the other people playing :p I was really looking forward to free roam before it came out but you ended up getting killed by the same person a lot with the terrible spawning.

That's why I said "with friends". Free roam doesn't work with random people involved.

That's why I said "with friends". Free roam doesn't work with random people involved.

Yeah I know, I was just talking about my own experiences

No mate, London is gray and boring (just like the rest of England).

GTA Tokyo, is the way to go. ;)

you do realise that 99% of Tokyo isn't the neon lit shopping district, right?

you do realise that 99% of Tokyo isn't the neon lit shopping district, right?

It's still better than England.

Something similar to San Andreas's style of landscape would be appreciated (2 large-ish cities separated between a middle filled with farms, country and a small town. All being connected by one motorway. Being chased between cities, then being able to lose the police in the winding streets. That was something i missed in GTA IV from previous titles.

Hmm, i hope it's actually fun. It's got stale for me has GTA, the story bored me, the city was dull and boring, it just lacked any wow factor for me.

They need to make the missions more open. It's too much of a juxtaposition to have such an expansive city and then have each mission put your creative balls in a clamp.

Also: make it shorter! GTAIV was much improved by The Lost and Damned because the latter had such a brief span- I simply don't give two fucks about Nico because his quest for revenge was nothing but a mcguffin stretched too thin. By comparison, The Lost provided a compelling narrative because the characters were good and the story had momentum.

In fact, fuck a main story. Lets have a bunch of protagonists all across the city all with short stories to tell.

YES! I think this is something videogames suffer from in general. They create a plot that could probably fit into a 2 hour movie and then stretch it out over 8,10,15 even 20 hours and it just doesn't work.

Also whilst I've not played The Lost and Damned from what I understand there is a certain amount of crossover with Niko's story now this is all well and good and clever but its after the fact and therefore less impressive. Give me a fully woven together in the moment as part of the same process GTA where theres characters who all have their own story but are part of a great plot and then we are talking.

Also no convoluted maps that just seem set up to be maze like for the sake of it in places. Sure parts are based on real areas blah blah

I'm not a big fan of the series so I'd like to see something that would make me want to play it. I've never liked the mechanics of how it plays but I haven't player GTA4...

It always seemed to be trying to do every type of genre all at the same time and the master of none...

I'm not a big fan of the series so I'd like to see something that would make me want to play it. I've never liked the mechanics of how it plays but I haven't player GTA4...

It always seemed to be trying to do every type of genre all at the same time and the master of none...

More along the path of GTA4 would suit me.

I loved it.

But are we expecting this anytime soon?

There won't be any move on Rockstar games until LA Noire is shipped.

And then Rockstar North are meant to be working on Agent that was announced yonks ago...

So... we'd have to wait until that's out the door.

I know their team size swelled up after GTA4, but enough to support production of both GTA5 and Agent?

I know their team size swelled up after GTA4, but enough to support production of both GTA5 and Agent?

At the very least I'd suspect that they're always brainstorming on new things for the game.

I agree with Daft though, Saints Row 3.

That and just because it's so close to me, I always hope for a GTA Detroit, much more glum than London I'd say.

Anyways, I didn't mind the more serious tone other than Mafia had already done it and did so fantastically. The driving in GTA4 however was atrocious.