N-Europe

Wrist watch that can read pdf/txt files?

Oxigen_Waste

I doubt iPods are allowed on an exam. At least I assume that's what this is for. Which is quite fail if it is.

Yeah, well, when you have a class which implies memorizing 700 pages of

"if A then B" (ie. no real logic behind anything, just endless memorizing of useless information and adequate responses) of which only 2% is going to be on the exam you'll let me in on the secret to rightfully passing it. :D

Seriously, E, it's that bad. Nobody gets past it without cheating or getting lucky. Well, oviously some people do, but you know what I mean...

Ohhh. I didn't catch on to that at all.

You're never going to get away with reading notes on a wristwatch. Better just going to the toilet and using a smartphone or something...

Not allowed. If I go to the toilet I forfeit the exam as it's only one hour long! And it'll be super easy getting away with it because nobody passes this class so there's like 300 people in the same room doing it and only 2 people watching over us.

Come on, Oxy, don't get all modest on us. Are you saying that in a room with 300 people, you wouldn't be confident enough to kick all of their gigantic arses?

Course you would. You seem intelligent and I'm sure if you revise really hard you'll get somewhere with this. A wrist watch that uses PDF though, thats stretching it a bit. If the test is too hard and nobody passes it, then maybe it just isn't meant to be?

Other than that, if there are only 2 people in the hall, can't you take some notes with you?

Come on, Oxy, don't get all modest on us. Are you saying that in a room with 300 people, you wouldn't be confident enough to kick all of their gigantic arses?

Course you would. You seem intelligent and I'm sure if you revise really hard you'll get somewhere with this. A wrist watch that uses PDF though, thats stretching it a bit. If the test is too hard and nobody passes it, then maybe it just isn't meant to be?

Other than that, if there are only 2 people in the hall, can't you take some notes with you?

I never cheated before so I would probably mess up the note thing, lol.

And seriously, I don't really think it's a matter of intelligence, it's jut a ridiculous amount of subtle details you have to memorize, with no reasoning or logic behind it. It's like memorizing a chinese restaurant menu x200. lol.

Failing it is not an option. I'm year 3, there's no turning back now if I want to graduate... especially not over some bullshit like this.

If the exams are like they are at my university, wristwatch is an awesome device for cheating, yes. Not that I'll ever do it.

What course are you on, anyway?

International affairs/relations.

Epá, mas tenho esta cadeira espeífica de direito (não é por ser direito, já passei a outras 4 cadeiras de direito sem problema), não tás bem a ver... é literalmente uma merda colossal... somos 60 por ano e o curso tem 3 anos. Depois aínda há pessoal pré-bolonha a fazer disciplinas de 4ºs e 5ºs anos.

Isto é uma cadeira do segundo ano... e este ano fomos 302 inscritos. Tendo em conta que o pessoal do primeiro ano não pode ir a este exame dá uma média de 75 alunos por ano a fazer o exame, num curso com 60 vagas por ano!!

O que safa é que o gajo passa-te se não chumbares a mais nada e for o teu último ano (pa n ficares lá mais um ano só por causa daquilo... bah)... mas eu pa concorrer a mestrado fora preciso de fazer aquilo este ano.

É mesmo literalmente decorar listas de palavras. Não tem mais nada.

Tu tás em quê já agora? Visto que também deves ser da UP, assim já sei.

If someone were to want to cheat at my uni then it would be as simple as going to the toilet, going to a cubicle and whipping out your phone. I'm sure people have done it in the past - if you don't have any morals, why not?

Yeah, I've heard stories of people writing notes on their legs, and then going to the toilet during the exam.

But really, if you need help with fundamental notes, you're going to fail regardless...

But really, if you need help with fundamental notes, you're going to fail regardless...

There's no fundamentals, this thing is like a phonebook, basically.

There's no fundamentals, this thing is like a phonebook, basically.

If no one or barely anyone passes, surely there's something wrong with the course or the way the exam is set up? Your uni fails if they can't see that.

I know plenty of people who have to memorize thousands of pages (maths, laws, medicine etc.) and they still manage somehow. It's definitely not easy and takes a lot of time (my sister has spent many hours crying over her books because it's so much to study), but if you really try most things are possible somehow.

Anyway I hope you find a solution to your problem. I can't help as I know nothing about watches. Didn't even know a thing like that existed... I feel old and behind the times now. =P

You're allowed to go to the toilet during the exam?

Our exams last 2-3 hours, which isn't particularly long, but they can't exactly not let you go to the toilet during them. An invigilator will go with you but obviously the girls all have to go to a cubicle and the invigilator can't tell a guy not to go into a cubicle.

I would think the opposite, if I had access to all my notes I would've passed with a far better grades than I usually get.

If no one or barely anyone passes, surely there's something wrong with the course or the way the exam is set up? Your uni fails if they can't see that.

I know plenty of people who have to memorize thousands of pages (maths, laws, medicine etc.) and they still manage somehow. It's definitely not easy and takes a lot of time (my sister has spent many hours crying over her books because it's so much to study), but if you really try most things are possible somehow.

Anyway I hope you find a solution to your problem. I can't help as I know nothing about watches. Didn't even know a thing like that existed... I feel old and behind the times now. =P

Yep, the Uni has been trying to replace the teacher for 5 years now, apparently. (he's been teaching there for 7) and every year, nobody else applies for the job.

You don't get it. It's not memorizing thousands of pages. I'm in a law-based course too, I know what that's like. And that's not memorizing, it's internalizing the inner working of something, with the ocasionall bit of memorizing here and there. This is memorizing. It's basically like a phonebook, really, there's no theories at all behind it, it's just memorizing things with no logical connection. It's not "hard"... it's just useless! The preevious teacher did the test with consultation, because that's essentially what matters, that you can act on it with the propper material. It's not something you just know.

There is a girl in my exam room on my course who ALWAYS goes to the toilets. She is a bit of a waster during the year so its very obvious she cheats. I want people to notice. Why should she get away with it?

Why shouldn't she? I'm not encouraging cheating (I myself have never done it before and will probably never do it again), but the truth is, if it works, why not? You'll have forgotten about most of it in a year or so and be at the same level she is, eventually, so why not explore the loophole if you're comfortable with it?

That is rubbish. Cheating is not a loophole. It is "illegal" in a sense. A loophole is something which means you avoid doing anything wrong technically. We (you, me and her included) know that cheating is wrong.

Maybe you should have taken an easier course if you're going to fail like you say without degrading yourself by cheating. You must be over-exaggerating how hard it is and how many people fail. If no-one passes the exam wouldn't be allowed!

That is rubbish. Cheating is not a loophole. It is "illegal" in a sense. A loophole is something which means you avoid doing anything wrong technically. We (you, me and her included) know that cheating is wrong.

Maybe you should have taken an easier course if you're going to fail like you say without degrading yourself by cheating. You must be over-exaggerating how hard it is and how many people fail. If no-one passes the exam wouldn't be allowed!

Yes, it's illegal and I think it's wrong. But really, who's it hurting? If we're being honest, 75% of what you study so hard is going to be useless in your future, so...

It's not hard. I passed much harder subjects. It's just stupid. It requires no knowledge whatsoever, just memorizing lots of crap.

And it's funny you mention I'm exaggerating how many people fail... if only you could read that post in Portuguese!!! I'll break it down for ya: basically there's 5 years in my course... the subjct is year 2. Meaning you can't take the exam if your year 1. This year there are 302 people enrolled in the subject. That means an average of 75 people per year.

My course has 60 people per year. :D

The real loophole here is... he pretty much let's you pass if it's your last year and if his subject is the only one you fail (so you won't stay behind a whole year just because of it). Which, sadly, means there's a lot of lazy people in my course, since there's so many people taking the class, which can only mean they're failing a lot of subjects, lol.

There is a girl in my exam room on my course who ALWAYS goes to the toilets. She is a bit of a waster during the year so its very obvious she cheats. I want people to notice. Why should she get away with it?

I always get annoyed with people who do things like that; especially people when in group work they skimp out and either hand in something which is awful (and therefore needs to be redone by the rest of the group) or just does nothing at all.

I just rest easy at night thinking that these are the people who will be screwed when it comes to get a job as there's no chance they'll be able to do that in a real workplace.

We also have peer assessment. We had one guy in a group this year who consistently turned up hours late for meetings (we had to meet pretty much 10-3 every Monday and he'd rarely turn up before 12), the piece he gave us looked like it was written by a 12 year old, things that were meant to be done by the time we met he did during the meetings. He always tried to leave early. A few of us in the group had 2am library finishes because he hadn't done what he was meant to. The others and I all marked him down in the peer assessment and from what the lecturer told us if the whole group is in agreement he'll get called in to answer about it and be given a poor mark. Why should he benefit from our success when he contributed nothing and in fact made it harder for us?