NEurope
Zechs Merquise

[Idiot] Boy, 11, racks up £1,000 bill on mother's debit card playing XBox online

Luckily the Daily Mail have conveniently provided his gamertag in that photo, confirming that he does indeed play the usual suspects
That is one hugely inaccurate avatar.

Luckily the Daily Mail have conveniently provided his gamertag in that photo, confirming that he does indeed play the usual suspects.

It also shows he hasn't done a good job of unplugging the Xbox seeing as he was on it mere hours ago playing FIFA.

You think we should send him instructions to give to his mother on how to set-up parental controls, in lamen terms.

Plus, being 11 he shouldn't be playing 1/2 the games on that list either.

You think we should send him instructions to give to his mother on how to set-up parental controls, in lamen terms.

Plus, being 11 he shouldn't be playing 1/2 the games on that list either.

I would recommend not being amongst the huge list of people who are probably going to send messages to that gamertag :laughing:

I would recommend not being amongst the huge list of people who are probably going to send messages to that gamertag :laughing:

I'm not going to send a message to him, he's dull enough. But if i see him in one of the games i play, i'll be sure to send out verbal abuse.

The mother is a tard for not keeping tabs on her stupid spawn and Microsoft are c*nts for having such a convoluted payment system which is also an ordeal to remove your details from.

The mother is a tard for not keeping tabs on her stupid spawn and Microsoft are c*nts for having such a convoluted payment system which is also an ordeal to remove your details from.

Even if it was easy to do I doubt the mother would have even looked for the option.

It's the same when parents buy their kids 18 games, then are disgusted at the violence/drug use/sex in the game, don't fucking buy him/her the game. She says her kid shouldn't have the responsibility of managing money, at the same time, she actually doesn't take any responsibility either. She shouldn't of put her details in unless she knew that this couldn't happen. Didn't she tell him don't buy anything? He knew what he was doing.

Even if it was easy to do I doubt the mother would have even looked for the option.

Yeah, I think the story says she didn't try until the bill has be racked up. Basically, I think this incident is the sum of everyone being stupid to the n-th degree.

How often does someone get a credit card statement? Because if this was drawn out over a long period surely alarm bells must've been ringing if she got a statement halfway through.

Monthly usually...

Woman's an idiot firstly and secondly the kid is pulling a fast one he knew what he was bloody doing...

I think you always get a credit card statement monthly, there's no option for non-paper or quarterly bills because of the interest and debt involved.

But I think we clarified that they're a total pair of tools when we first scanned the OP.

Edited by Shorty

I think you always get a credit card statement monthly, there's no option for non-paper or quarterly bills because of the interest and debt involved.

My credit card statements are non-paper but monthly (same for my old credit card as well).

Why is she an idiot exactly? She put her card details in to pay for her son to play online. I don't know about you lot but I don't expect a reputable company like Microsoft to save my card details without my express permission, to be easily used without asking so much as the CVC.

Why is she an idiot exactly? She put her card details in to pay for her son to play online. I don't know about you lot but I don't expect a reputable company like Microsoft to save my card details without my express permission, to be easily used without asking so much as the CVC.

I was with you all the way up to "reputable company like Microsoft" and then I kinda spaced out...

Still love you, though.

'When he is in gaming mode he can't be thinking about the money. You can't put all that responsibility on a young boy.

Mcoy needs to remember this one if he ever has any run in with the police. Mcoy was in gaming mode, IT'S NOT MCOY'S FAULT

When I showed him he burst into tears. He unplugged the Xbox and said he didn't want it anymore.

'I haven't punished him because he feels bad enough and I know he won't do it again.

Fucking smug smart shit. Mcoy can't believe that bimbo fell for that, she shoulda taken away the xbox, I wouldn't have given it even a day before the kid would want it back.

Well, isn't it her responsibility to research these things? Besides, it's not like Microsoft is stealing the money off the card. It's the kid who's spending it.

Again, this can never be Microsoft's responsibility. They're running a completely legitimate business (their morals/methods/reputation are a different story altogether). Bottom line is there's no cheating or scamming going on. If customers can't handle the way the business works, they shouldn't be doing business with the company in the first place!

Most of all I'm just tired of people putting responsibility everywhere else but on themselves. It's like the new way of measuring success in life: How much responsibility you can avoid taking.

The mother is at fault (though the kid even more so, he probably knew perfectly well what he was doing), but I wonder if she really knew you could buy stuff online? Maybe she thought it was a monthly subscription or something, until the bill went through the roof. =P

Thing is I don't know how many parents these days know about parental controls and online shops on gaming consoles. I know my parents have no clue about it. If I were to tell them I can buy games through my Wii, they'd probably be surprised (my mom the most). I know the mom is at fault for not reading the instructions and all that, but then I don't know many people who actually read that stuff. =P

I agree with Moogle. When I shop on Tesco online, or Amazon, my card details are stored, but every time I complete a purchase, I need to enter my CVC. But on Xbox, you are never asked for it.

Yes, he's a sneaky fat shit, and she should have had parental controls, but if Microsoft asked for the three digit number every time then this situation could have been avoided.

The ease with which you can buy stuff on XBL has always alarmed me

Idiots, the both of them.

But hopefully this will rile up all the parents that have credit cards stored on their children's Xbox, provoking them to FINALLY enable the ability to remove credit cards and auto renewal online via the website rather than some tedious phone call whilst having your serial number, waiting for them to answer and all that bollocks.

I fucking hate how they do this.

If Microsoft did require a cvc number then I'm willing to bet the mother would've just told the kid what it was.

I fucking hate how they do this.

It be all about the money for Microsoft. They really ought to have an easy card-removal system in place, every other place that accepts cards online does have such a system.