N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh haven't posted in so long, been proper busy.

Anyway, so nice to see someone else other than Vettel at the front of the grid! Looks like it's gonna be a multiple stop race with Red Bull deciding to run mainly the softs throughout the race. Come on Alonso and Lewis! Also, gutted to see Schumacher with that problem, but hoping he has another storming race.

Really damn good race - shame Vettel toddled off with the win yet again but I think McLaren wrung everything there was out of their race. It was clearly the second best car in Korea and it's a testament to Lewis' racing ability that he was able to keep Webber behind for the best part of 20 laps, producing some great wheel-to-wheel moments. I think he should be very pleased with himself today.

I'll have to read up on Alonso's race, we didn't see a lot of him but I need to know where on earth he found that pace in the final stint - a truly quality performance, looking at the numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

It truly is awful. I'm not going to pretend i'm a fan of Indycar or MotoGP, but they were real people who died doing something they loved. I know that Dan Wheldon was one of the best Indycar drivers, he did win Indy 500 twice. Simoncelli was also one of the better drivers in his sport. Such a shame.

RIP Dan Wheldon

RIP Marco Simoncelli

It's been an absolutely bloody awful week in motorsport - Wheldon (twice Indy 500 winner, the first Brit to win it since Graham Hill in '66) leaves two young kids behind and Simoncelli (125cc Champion in '08) was only 24 and surely on his way to big things. I'm at the point where I don't care if we get a good race or not in India, just as long as everyone comes back in one piece.

Anyway, in the lighter side of the news:

2j3n1mx.jpg

I'll believe it when I see it myself.

Edited by gaggle64

Potentially 2 American Grand Prix in 2013 -

New Jersey Grand Prix for 2013 set to be announced

Formula 1 will hold a Grand Prix in New Jersey in 2013, West New York mayor Felix Roque has claimed.

The United States will feature on the Formula 1 calendar for the first time since 2007 with next year's race in Austin, Texas.

New Jersey governor Chris Christie could announce the deal at a press conference scheduled for Tuesday.

Roque said: "It's incredible. This is going to be an economic boom for this whole region."

It has been claimed that the race will take place on a four-lane motorway that runs alongside the Hudson River in Weehawken, West New York.

"It will provide a very challenging course," West New York attorney Joe DeMarco said.

"They compare it to Spa in Belgium but it will have the feel of Monaco."

Lewis Hamilton won the last US Grand Prix at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 2007.

The event's eight-year run there came to an end when F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone failed to agree new terms with the circuit's owners.

Ecclestone's plans to take a race to the New York area were first revealed when he began talks with representatives of Monticello Motor Club (MMC) in New York in 2009.

Austin-based promoters Full Throttle Productions overcame competition from MMC to stage a race at a purpose-built track with a deal through to 2021.

But, two years on, a deal has now been reached with a consortium of investors and city and state governments for a race to take place in New Jersey.

A Street style race with a New York Skyline backdrop could be stunning.

I'll believe it when I see it myself.

Exactly! I mean I'm actually feeling kinda optimistic about this one, but with Kimi, anything's possible!

Potentially 2 American Grand Prix in 2013 -

A Street style race with a New York Skyline backdrop could be stunning.

Yeah I read that and I'm just not interested in a New Jersey race, at least atm anyway.

1) It's another Street Track

2) I can't see a stunning New York backdrop to the race actually happening... more likely plenty of characterless highway shots, with a very occasional glimpse of a New York building way way off in the distance.

3) How does a highway make for an interesting race track?... and not just be like the Las Vegas GP which was pretty much a Car Park!

4) How will it being 4 lanes wide give it an enclosed Monaco feel?

5) It's another Street Track.

6) Ditch Valencia and I'll give it some thought.

Edited by Retro_Link

OK so here it is! The New Jersey Grand Prix of America...

grand-prix-of-america-track-layout.jpg

tilke-map.jpg

Artwork

grand-prix-of-america-concept-sketch.jpg

and someones already driven the track...

The circuit make me think of Canada... tbh it's nice to see some level changes and some trees etc...

But I still think it's not what we need. OK so there are glimpses of a New York skyline but it's no New York Grand Prix.

Without driving through the city and with the safety concerns of driving through a residential area I think the final version of this circuit will be less the spectacle of Monaco/Singapore and more the maze of concrete and fences we get with Valencia.

Edited by Retro_Link

2j3n1mx.jpg
Some bits and pieces from the interview (that were translated from an abroad copy)...

0tH0a.jpgQJI8o.jpg

Snippets from the articles inside:

What it’s regarded as a monosyllabic attitude in life is not even true: Kimi has a lot to tell when there is something interesting to say or, what is more important, something it is worth it to answer to.

The bad part of a courtesy conversation is that it does not make sense. Let’s be sincere: truth is that nobody is interested in the weather or how the trip was.

“Truth is that there is nothing at the moment, and it makes no sense to talk until I have something 100% confirmed”, he states with his characteristic sincerity. One of the reasons why Kimi not always says much is because he doesn’t like to lie. It’s better just to focus on the driving, which is of course the only reason why you’re here.

“The bullshit?- Kimi blurts out when he’s asked about the hype of the media- Ha! I suppose, it’s normal; it’s part of the world we live in. They’re always going to write it so, who cares about it? Truth is that I don’t mind what they write, because it can’t be changed. As a matter of fact, if you try to change it, you will only make it worse; therefore, why even make the effort and try to change it? If somebody says “it was not this way, in reality it was that way”, it will only give them more ideas to keep on writing and the snow-ball gets bigger and bigger. But, does it really matter if it’s the truth or not? Nobody cares about that”.

Hypocrisy and unfairness are two of the things that Kimi dislikes the most.

“From the beginning, I felt that rally-people are more interested in the sport and whatever happens in the stages and not in making up stupid articles with big headlines outside them- he points out-. In F1, you say something and the press twists it, giving form to a story that says: “Mr. so-and-so said this”… even if it’s simply not true. They usually write more about other things than about the sport. In rallies, it doesn’t happen so often; they have a different way of thinking”.

But Kimi admits, it doesn’t surprise him that people want to know what he is going to do next.

“There are many different possibilities and, of course, a lot of speculation- he says-. But most of them are quite surprising for me. Look, I could tell you that I’m going to do Nascar and you could tell about it, but, maybe, at the end it doesn’t happen and then it would mean I have been telling bullshit. Or I could say I’m going to do demolition races (Note: what’s that?) and you would not believe me. But maybe, at the end, you would be surprised,… you see? It doesn’t make sense to speculate until there’s something sure, because anything could happen. Being sincere, not even I know yet. Probably some people talk too much when they should focus in other things”.

A top driver, famous for his know-how in front of the media, recently stated that he envies Kimi. “He did it right from the beginning, didn’t he?- that driver said-. I wish I could be like Kimi and concentrate only in the driving, without distractions. Some people say he’s stupid, but he knows very well what he does. He is very intelligent”.

Kimi is one of the 32 people who made it, but under circumstances that even he admits were a bit surreal. We all can remember that 3 drivers arrived to this last race with chances of winning the title, and that Kimi was the first one to win it from the 3rd position in the classification since Giuseppe Farina in 1950.

“I’m not sure about winning the title as my best memory, but for sure, it is one of the best- he says in quite a surprising manner-. We begun well and had a very hard patch in the middle of the season, but afterwards we improved again and we won. I’m sure, we could have done some things differently, but it was our first year. Even if it was the best car, it took some time to take everything out of it. This happens sometimes: in 2005, our McLaren was also very good, but it would not finish the races…”.

And if Kimi came back, maybe he would not care about having the best possible material as much as before. “Of course, you always want a winning car, a top car. But, as we could see this season, there’s only one team that has that top car- he says-. It’s not that you can chose or know it. Some teams make a good car one season; other seasons their car is not so good. There are very little differences between a good and a bad car. At the end of the day, you have to accelerate hard”.

“I simply had the curiosity to know if I could keep it on the road and keep driving- he tells about his decision to go to the WRC-. It is very different to F1. So I had the curiosity to know if I also could do it, because when you see the guys who do it all the time, they make it look easy. Truth is that it’s one of the most difficult things you can do. Each curve is different, even two curves with exactly the same note- like “right two”- can be completely different. If you make a mistake, there is a tree or a rock and not a gravel trap. It is something I wanted to try, but I don’t have to take it so seriously. If it seems to me that I don’t want to do it any longer, I can just leave it right now”. Conclusion: it is even more difficult to win to Sébastien Loeb than Sebastian Vettel.

Contrary to the F1, in the WRC tests are allowed during the season. What very few people know is that, during those tests, when the teams run up and down the same road section, Kimi has comfortably been faster than his team mates... and among them are Sébastien Loeb and Sébastien Ogier, the two fastest drivers in the WRC. But it is like this because Kimi knows precisely where he’s heading to and he can rely on his incomparable reflexes instead of being dependent on another person telling him what he has to do.

There’s also been a lot of talk about motivation. You want to know the truth? At the moment, the Finn’s motivation is sky-high: he has quietly intensified his training to be in the best possible conditions and catch whatever chance it’s offered to him. “I like to face different challenges, that’s clear- Kimi adds-. I have a lot of plans, but I don’t like to talk about them, because I’m not sure any of them will materialize”. It is the story of our lives: at the end of the day, the F1 World Champions are not different to the rest of us.

Talking about F1 champions, when Sebastian Vettel won his 18th race at this year’s Italian GP, matching Kimi’s total number, he was asked what it meant for him. He answered it was a nice achievement, but that he suspected that Kimi still had the capability of getting some more victories in F1…

“I don’t know- Kimi says, laughing-. It depends of whatever happens in the future. To begin with, as we said before, in F1 you need a good package. In a s*** (Note: in Spanish it really says s***) car you’re never going to win, even if you drive better than you ever did in your whole life. That is the reality and it is impossible to escape from it”.

F1 RACING- Kimi & Vettel snippet from the article:

In such a moment, Kimi almost looks like somebody who is thinking about an imminent return, even if, in the past, he has denied he misses F1: “If I missed it- he said last year-, I would already be there again”.

But times change, even if Kimi doesn’t. And he has not answered yet that question about if Vettel’s prediction was right or not. We should not forget that Vettel knows Kimi quite well, because they live close to another in Switzerland and they play badminton together frequently: often, Kimi and his trainer, Mark Arnall, play against Vettel and his trainer.

The respect they feel for the other is mutual, especially because Vettel- who went to that “Thousand Lakes” in 2009- flips out with somebody who is brave enough to accept the challenge of taking off with a turbo-missile in a special stage in a forest. So, what do you think about it?

“Ah… who knows? But something is clear, Sebastian will keep on winning many more GPs- Kimi concludes-. That was something that could be expected from the beginning. He is a good guy in a good team and, if they keep doing a winning car, he will keep on winning. Nevertheless, maybe he keeps on winning in F1, but I can assure you something: he’s not always going to win when he plays badminton”.

Also...

Kimi: "The Le Mans car was interesting but, to be honest, the steering was quite shit and the windscreen was really strange"
:p Edited by Retro_Link

The Indian GP track is brilliant and looks really fun! :D

I love the design of it, and pretty much already know it's layout, which corners are up next etc... it's really well sectioned out!

I still can't do this with Valencia, Singapore and Korea!

Yeah, I'm really liking the look of the track as well. Particularly the last section from turns 10/11 on. Really nice layout and mixture of turns and the changes in elevation are adding a lot to the track as well.

Not so sure about some of the extremely wide turn ins they've incorporated as devices to drive overtaking but we'll see how it goes in the race. That broken suspension from Massa was a beauty. You'd think he'd have wisened up a bit from the previous attempt at attacking the corner but no.

Anyone else, though, get a feeling of Malaysia when watching then driving the track? It definitely gives me that kind of feel, which is a good thing as I've always liked the track in Malaysia.

Yeah, I'm really liking the look of the track as well. Particularly the last section from turns 10/11 on. Really nice layout and mixture of turns and the changes in elevation are adding a lot to the track as well.

Not so sure about some of the extremely wide turn ins they've incorporated as devices to drive overtaking but we'll see how it goes in the race. That broken suspension from Massa was a beauty. You'd think he'd have wisened up a bit from the previous attempt at attacking the corner but no.

Anyone else, though, get a feeling of Malaysia when watching then driving the track? It definitely gives me that kind of feel, which is a good thing as I've always liked the track in Malaysia.

Malaysia has that sweeping/undulating left-right, and the pit lane somehow seems quite similar, but I'm glad it's very much it's own great track! If India wasn't such a hassle to go to, it's definatly one that would be worth a visit!

Massa's an idiot!

He continued to run wide and try and take too much out of the corners... then when it finally bit him... he complains that the track should be changed for next year! :indeed:

If you're gonna drive like that expect to get punished, that's the fun of it!... the white lines and kerbs are there to define the track and punish you if you try and take the piss! I guess Smedley wasn't on the radio guiding him through that corner! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Hmm was a bit of a dull race, but I still love this track!! :D

Hopefully a better race next year, and I really hope the GP gets a good turnout!

I'm more and more impressed with Alguersuari... yes Buemi may out qualify him or finish ahead of him on quite a few occasions... but he puts in some great drives!

lol at Massa breaking his suspension again... still doesn't learn!!! :indeed:

Massa's 98 points to Alonso's 227 is a joke! All the other drivers in the Top 3 teams have broken 200 points! And I just read on the Autosport forum...

Massa needs to score a podium, otherwise he´ll be the first Ferrari drive not to score a podium in a season since 1981.

EDIT:

2Gbgi.gif

Edited by Retro_Link

Fairly dull race, Rowan aside - I feel quite bad for Massa, I was actually quite surprised that stewards decision went against him. Lewis too still seems to be struggling to get back on his feet, keeping fingers crossed for a decent pair of results at the last two races for both of them.

Beautiful shot from the race popped up on tumblr though -

tumblr_ltw2bmNM7v1qg1izxo1_500.png

Edited by gaggle64

^ Nice!

Did anyone see Fernando sitting by the massive TV screen and then watching the replay of himself in practice!

k52vg4di.png

---

Couple of funny things from Autosports Photoshop/Caption threads...

fDLaI.png
tumblrltq4gtiunl1qeuwh5.jpg

Watch for that kerb Felipe

Edited by Retro_Link

Wow, shit is going down in F1 and guess why guys? Off-throttle cold blowing.

Yeah. It's still being debated. Apparently Mclaren and Red Bull are opposed to the ban which the FIA are trying to finalise for next year, with Ferrari and Mercedes want the ban to go ahead.

Seriously, it's Silverstone all over again.

I wouldn't rule out Rubens loosing his seat just yet. As much as I'd love to see Kimi back I'm not overly confident yet.

Kimi said himself yesterday that he has had talks with Williams... but there are so many rumours flying about atm... Rubens staying on, Sutil, a younger driver that Williams plan on evaluating at the Abu Dhabi test... that as difficult as it is, you can only wait until Williams say something themselves... though damn do I wish they'd hurry up!!

Rubens will have other options... Lotus Renault possibly and then the 3 new teams, but it's just whether he'd want to take one of those seats.

Also in news:

- Rosberg extends his contract until 2013.

- Lotus Renault / Team Lotus saga is over, with Team Lotus racing as their title sponsor Caterham next year.

- And Virgin change their name to their key sponsor Marussia.

Something quite nice about Caterham being in the sport.

Great race today - not the best ever but seeing Lewis back on top after a fairly close race against Fernando has left me in a good mood. The battle between Button, Webber and Massa was great to see, some decent wheel to wheel stuff along the way. Shame Vettel basically didn't get to race as his luck finally ran out - if he gets beaten I prefer to have the champ beaten fair and square, but that's just racing as Lewis will be able to tell him from experience.