Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

Excellent race. Vettel's on fire but the Red Bull as a whole is clearly not as dominant as we all feared it would be. One slip up and he'll be battling in the mid-field while someone else strolls away. The Renault's have something remarkable off the line, I wonder what their secret ace is? Not sure what the penalties for both Alonso and Hamilton are for though. Hamilton for getting over defensive is about fair enough (I didn't see it myself but presumably there's something in the telemetry) but I don't know how Alonso is equally responsible for what looked for all the world to be a typical racing incident. Besides, I would've thought that the havoc caused to their respective races would've been punishment enough.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the fact kers and the DRS are failing for some of the racers, shirley it's unfair if someones DRS fails because of a technical problem.

I don't really see how it's unfair, drivers have always had to put up with their cars not being 100% reliable and this is no different. As always the best engineering solutions are going to give people advantages. Just as it is for every piece on the car.

Oh and Brundle and Coulthard are doing a truely great job! It's exactly what I want to be hearing!

I love it, I wasn't too sure how it would work out, especially with Martin taking the colour commentating, but it's fantastic. I'd agree that it's exactly the right thing for fans, would be interesting to see what the more casual followers think though.

I've only just got up so I haven't read into all the news yet, but is there any reason people are thinking the Red Bull isn't as dominant as it could be? As far as I can see Vettel goes as fast as he likes to get ahead then just manages the race taking no real risks but making sure he stays ahead. Obviously Webber has had some issues but even with pretty much nothing working on the car he didn't do so badly.

Great start to the season, I'm really enjoying it. Now I have iPlayer for coverage I'm very happy indeed.

Excellent race. Vettel's on fire but the Red Bull as a whole is clearly not as dominant as we all feared it would be. One slip up and he'll be battling in the mid-field while someone else strolls away. The Renault's have something remarkable off the line, I wonder what their secret ace is? Not sure what the penalties for both Alonso and Hamilton are for though. Hamilton for getting over defensive is about fair enough (I didn't see it myself but presumably there's something in the telemetry) but I don't know how Alonso is equally responsible for what looked for all the world to be a typical racing incident. Besides, I would've thought that the havoc caused to their respective races would've been punishment enough.

Lewis was punished for what he did the lap before they collided. If you watched it live Alonso got a great run at him down the home straight but he changed direction 3 times before moving again to get onto the racing line. Similar to what he did last year with petrov but they were a bit closer together.

Ah. Such a good race :D Loving these tyres, you can really see the drivers having to work their socks off. Thought the RB was gonna be mighty after Australia but apparently it's not so strong, and with China having that massive back straight we could see mclaren doing well again.

Heidfeld truly deserved that podium, was delighted with that result :D Jenson drove superbly too, amazing how he did 20 laps on the hards and he was even closing in on vettel at one point. Disappointment for Fernando and not sure how to judge Schumachers weekend; on one hand he destroyed his teammate in every session but then again the car.is.rubbish! Sort it out guys, you've been going downhill since Silverstone 09 (when they were Brawn).

Was a great race, the 2 Renaults off the starting grid were brilliant, Mark Webber had a bad time, there was one shot where they showed Kobayashi overtaking Webber and it displayed the true power that the KERs gives.

Some great little battles mid point range between Kobayashi, Webber, Schumacher. really entertaining race.

So unfortunate for Hamilton, but we're only 2 races in, surely Seb can't keep getting pole position in Quali..... can he ??

With regards to the commentary, I do defiantly approve of Coulthard, but seriously yesterday you could of played a drinking game, take a shot everytime he says Ker's.... pretty much his favourite word yesterday :p

looks like a promising season developing, hoping Renault can shake things up a bit at the top, And hope Perez, Kobayashi and Di Resta can maintain the form they're in all season (unfortunate for Perez yesterday)

2zgar6s.jpg

What a race! I know I'm not one of the regulars in here (I'm afraid I'm the kind of person the commentary is always accomodating for when they're talking about the tyres and rules and such :heh:) but that was so much fun to watch. Down to the finish! Webber looked like he might have gotten a podium after his struggle with Kobayashi, Button's tyres sounded as if they were about to fall off, the Hamilton/Alonso scrap was tense and Petrov taking off was unlike anything I've seen.

The past two seasons have really gotten me in to F1, and I've been anticipating the start of this season as much as I do the football. Bring on China! :D

And for the record.. it's gotta be McLaren for me :D

Good to hear Dyson!

and Petrov taking off was unlike anything I've seen.
There was this...

:D

But yeah, Petrov did it all on his own!

Coulthard, but seriously yesterday you could of played a drinking game, take a shot everytime he says Ker's.... pretty much his favourite word yesterday
Well you can excuse him that, that would be like saying he said Ferrari too many times for example! :p He's gotta teach the Dyson's of this world!
surely Seb can't keep getting pole position in Quali..... can he ??

I dunno, him and that Red Bull are one awesome Qualifying combo, I really hope McLaren get their China update on the car and working for this weekend. Lewis needs to bring him down a peg or two and make a real race of it, then we'll see if he's grown as a driver.

Good to hear Dyson!

There was this...

:D

But yeah, Petrov did it all on his own!

Hoooly shit! That was incredible - how did he walk away from that? :o It struck me over the weekend just how safe these cars are compared to how they used to be. Watching that clip reinforces that!

Well you can excuse him that, that would be like saying he said Ferrari too many times for example! :p He's gotta teach the Dyson's of this world!

This is true! I think the commentators do a fantastic job, they made a good move by getting Coulthard in the box. I never feel like I don't know what's going on!

Legard's commentary was just so bad!

Hoooly shit! That was incredible - how did he walk away from that? :o It struck me over the weekend just how safe these cars are compared to how they used to be. Watching that clip reinforces that!
Yeah safety has come an insanely long way, this is possibly the best example, Kubica, Canada, 2007...

I'm convinced that if that Kubica incident happened 10 years ago he was gone. That is so terrifying, I can't believe he got back in a car and took his maiden win a season later at the SAME track. Amazing.

I'm glad you've got into F1 Dyson :) Funnily enough I haven't been a massive fan of the last 2 seasons; they've been good but there's been more entertainment in other seasons. This season how it seems that all the ingredients are right there for a superb season, especially when it comes to on track entertainment.

Just on James Allens blog (Jamesallenonf1.com, it's superb btw) and a lot of people seem to think that the racing yesterday was artificial and boring! Seriously how can anyone thing that?! Some people have been so used to processions they don't appreciate what we had yesterday. Funnily enough most of the overtaking didn't even come from the DRS, it came from the fact that drivers had different strategies and used their tyres differently. Kobayashi only stopped twice but was still MIGHTY when it came to fighting for position, and Webber stopped 4 times and despite being 10th at the end of the first lap scored solid points.

Ah. Such a good race :D Gonna rewatch it on iPlayer me thinks.

Glad you enjoyed it Dyson! F1 is a near-impossible sport to get someone in to - in order to enjoy you do need a reasonable understanding of the strategies and technical tools (DRS, KERS, prime/options etc.) and by the time you do you're half way to being a fully accredited engineer. Trying to introduce it to a newbie is like teaching someone to swim by throwing them into the deep end of a swimming pool full of custard and sharks. I tried to explain it to my 'bro martinist by comparing KERS to a Mario Kart mushroom and DRS to a boost pad. He said he might actually be starting to enjoy it, which is like revealing to me he has a pet unicorn called Ned.

Hey that's an idea - they should invent clear ways of explaining what each car is doing. Like when a driver activates his DRS his car should start flashing colours of every spectrum and blaring a jaunty jingle as he chases down his opponent. :heh:

Edited by gaggle64

by comparing KERS to a Mario Kart mushroom and DRS to a boost pad. He said he might actually be starting to enjoy it, which is like revealing to me he has a pet unicorn called Ned.

Hey that's an idea - they should invent clear ways of explaining what each car is doing. Like when a driver activates his DRS his car should start flashing colours of every spectrum and blaring a jaunty jingle as he chases down his opponent. :heh:

haha, brilliant! :D

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

And when they cross over the start line for KERS...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by Retro_Link

I've read SO many comments on twitter/autosports from people involved in the sport and fans, saying the Hamilton/Alonso penalties were rediculous, that it's such a shame penalising two great drivers racing. They both know what they're doing, and both were punished enough giving their finishing positions at the end of the race.

Though apparently Ferrari reported Hamilton after the race, which is why nothing was said about it during the race. That's the Ferrari I don't like, it feels unnecessary and a bit underhanded. Alonso wasn't heard to complain about him over the radio, and he finished behind Alonso anyway!

---

Oh and yeah I agree Goron, '09 (The Brawn Years) was a bit of a rubbish season, but I did enjoy last year.

---

Also, that F-Zero reference reminded me of this...

Edited by Retro_Link

Out of interest did anyone catch the Forum after the race? There was an amazing point where they interviewed Heidfeld and it went back to brundle in the analysis room and he said 'I've got a tear going down my face for pool old Kubica, and I'm not even lying'.

Genuinely think he's the BBC's best asset. Would love to get a signature of his at Silverstone this year.

Definitely think the circuit has potential, lots of beautiful, high-speed, flowing corners, definitely better than the likes of Bahrain and Yas Marina.

I agree with Retro though, they must not wreck it with lots of run off.. I want to see people pushing the limits of the circuit and getting punished if they push too hard.

Hmmm... Circuit looks ok, if I'm honest. The change in elevation is perhaps the most interesting aspect but layout wise, it's nothing special.

It'll be interesting, though, to see which circuit they drop for the US one. You can forget any of the Asian and Middle East circuits being dropped as they bring in the most money for Bernie to ignore (and at this stage, he's only interested in the money by the sounds of things rather than providing genuinely good circuits for the teams to race on) so the drop could come on something like Spa. Hope not, and would rather Valencia went, but who knows.

Spa will be safe, Shell recently became the long term sponsor for that race, so the race has got sponsors behind it now.

Valencia should go! But then we'd be without a 'European Grand Prix'... but then I don't really see the point of that title anyway! Besides, the A1 Ring should become the new European Grand Prix, what with RedBull being champions! :D

So if we aren't gonna loose the European Grand Prix (where ever it is), one still needs to go... Guess there's a chance it could be Australia, and China's future always seems in doubt. Maybe Turkey?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!