NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2011

He got a puncture on the opening lap when Alguersuari bumped into him I think. Apparently the tyre damaged quite a bit of the car... and I think there was another problem aswell, so they decided to retire the car for safety.

Poor schumey :(

He had a lightning start aswell! Made up 2 or 3 places by turn 3. Can anyone remember how he always made loads of places up last year? More of the same please!

Yeah, that was great documentary. Uncomfortable viewing though, especially that scene at the end. There was something just so sad and pathetic about the whole thing with a man visibly burning to death and only a single driver stopping to try and save him, a cop feebly trying to kick dirt on the inferno as the rest of the field streamed by regardless. See it while you can folks. Jalopnik did a good discussion piece on it too.

Michael Schumacher has given his pick of his 5 favourite races, with Suzuka 2000 being at the top: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8273479.stm

That race is just incredible to watch; him and Mika were lapping in a different league to everyone else, and in those wet-dry conditions it really showed that they were by far the 2 fastest guys out there. His other picks are quite interesting; Hungary 98 is a race he shouldn't have won but Ross put him on a 3 stopper and he managed to pull out 25 seconds in a 19 lap stint, and Donington 93 was a race he spun out of but Senna won by a COUNTRY MILE. Shows the respect and love he had for Aryton..shame we were robbed of watching them race against each other.

I'm not liking the Practice trend at the moment, Red Bull and Mclaren leagues ahead of the rest, I hope it'll close up by qualifying.

I'm surprised actually, I genuinely though both Red Bulls would be strolling away with it already. I also thought Mclaren were going to be a distant third this year. Apparently I know nothing.

McLaren have seriously impressed me! They were no where pre-season, but swapping out their over-ambitious parts for their more standard package has done them wonders!

I watched the Practice highlight on the BBC website, pretty entertaining! :D

Rain tomorrow I wonder?... it should be.

Edited by Retro_Link

McLaren have seriously impressed me! They were no where pre-season, but swapping out their over-ambitious parts for their more standard package has done them wonders!

I think everyone is surprised by the Mclaren revival since the pre-season tests. Just goes to show how close Mclaren were to begin with.

What are the odds on Hispania out-qualifying Virgin? They've worked wonders on that thing, Narain was within 107% at the end of FP2 without even attempting a qualifying run. If Liuzzi splits or even qualifies infront of the Virgins tomorrow, surely they [Virgin] may have to re-think their whole CFD-only philosophy.

I'm getting behind Hispania this season as the cool underdogs. The livery is beautiful, Liuzzi is talented, they have cut clever deals with Mercedes (such as the use of their factory and wind-tunnel) and they have upgrades in the pipeline for Turkey (race 4). I hope they make a bit of an impact this year. The new Minardi has arrived... ;)

I will be amazed if Hispania make the cut tomorrow; they've got so little running on that thing and even in the practice sessions had issues. Virgin are the team in the most trouble atm; Wirth said in an interview they were running at full capacity but looks like it's not enough. Poor Timo :(

Interesting point actually nicktendo about Luizzi being talented...I never rated him but i saw an interview with Alonso who said he was one of the best drivers he'd seen :o

Have you had any luck with finding BBC/any better coverage will?

I have just paid ($9 a month) for a UK proxy and I am enjoying formula one via iPlayer!!! So happy right now I could cry, it's working perfectly :D

Been so busy at work this week I haven't kept up with much, from what I understand McLaren are close and we should have rain for both qualy and the race? It's going to be awesome. Alonso win number 1 I reckon.

That was quite simply EPIC!! :D

Hamilton was amazing, Vettel another great performance and good stuff from Webber/Button!

Alonso must have been about 1sec down on Vettel/Hamiltons final times, oh dear Ferrari!

Sure to be a great race, Malaysia is brilliant, can't wait!! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Hamilton was incredible, almost thought he had it! I swear Red Bull were miles ahead of everyone else but apparently not.

Great performances from Heidfeld and Alonso leaving their teammates behind. Frustrated to see Schumacher, who's been quicker than Nico all weekend, not make it to Q3 because his DRS stayed open during some of the quick corners. Very worrying.

Should be a good-un tommorow. There's barely a cigar paper between Mclaren and Red Bull, could go any-which-way among those four.

What a great last lap from Vettel!

Ferrari are in trouble.

We really are :( I'm saddened that Fernando hasn't won anything since 2006 either, so frustrating.

In other news, it just occurred to me how dominant Vettel is in qualifying. At the tail end of last season he took pole in Suzuka, Abu Dhabi and Korea (he didn't at Brazil because of that 'that lap' from the Hulk in very mixed conditions) and he's 2 for 2 this year as well. I saw an incredible statistic that he has 17 poles in 64 starts.

Mind blowing.

(ps. I still don't rate him anywhere near lewis and Alonso though)

Edit. The significance of tomorrow has only just occured to me guys. It's going to be the first time we're really going to see Vettel up against someone that isn't his team mate, and of all the people it's Lewis Hamilton. Honestly, I can't wait. It reminds me of the Mika vs Michael days, where you've got one car with a speed advantage but the driver who's behind just able to pull off some magic. In the wet in particular they are two stunning drivers, can't wait.

Edit 2: Literally the best dry F1 race weekend for the last few years, apart from maybe Canada last year. Amazing race. Will post impressions once someone else posts, looks like I'm talking to myself....

Edited by Goron_3

I did enjoy the race today, was excellent to watch, Heidfeld jumping up to third on the first corner was incredible and Webber getting in a pickle but finally finishing 4th without kers.

I don't like the fact kers and the DRS are failing for some of the racers, shirley it's unfair if someones DRS fails because of a technical problem.

I did enjoy Petrov getting airborne, crazy to see his steering column break and he was still trying to stear/work out wtf just happened.

I did enjoy the race today, was excellent to watch, Heidfeld jumping up to second on the first corner was incredible and Webber getting in a pickle but finally finishing 4th without kers.

I don't like the fact kers and the DRS are failing for some of the racers, shirley it's unfair if someones DRS fails because of a technical problem.

I did enjoy Petrov getting airborne, crazy to see his steering column break and he was still trying to stear/work out wtf just happened.

Just thought I'd fix that, I thought he was going to miss the podium after dropping to 5th during the pit stop but impressive from the German, if Renault had consistently had both drivers finish in the top 7 they'd be ahead of Ferrari in the constructors. Another disappointing weekend for Williams too, they appear to have gone backwards since Rosberg was leading the team results wise.

Absolutely brilliant race!

Petrov's airborn car was crazy! Hope he's alright.

Just read Alonso and Hamilton have been given 20sec penalties, Hamilton for making one too many defensive moves, and Alonso for the accident. This drops Hamilton down to 8th. I really feel for him this weekend, he drove so well in Qually, in the first half of the race, and to defend his position... when clearly his car just wasn't working well on the hard tyre. Real shame.

We didn't get the Vettel/Hamilton battle that could have happened this race, but I'm really looking forward to it hopefully happening during the season.

(ps. I still don't rate him anywhere near lewis and Alonso though)
Yeah Vettel's performances are bugging me somewhat. Yes he's put in a dominant run of races, but the guy pretty much always wins from pole! I can't remember him winning a race built on racing/overtaking... because when ever that has been asked of him (last season at least) he's always binned it (Webber/Button).

I'm just thankful McLaren seem to have great pace, Renault are strong, and Ferrari seem to fare better in race conditions (they seriously need to find some one lap Qually pace!!), because I think I'd soon get quite board of Vettel's pole to finish wins (i.e. I have already :p)!

Only 1 week to wait!!... Bring on China!!

EDIT: Oh and Brundle and Coulthard are doing a truely great job! It's exactly what I want to be hearing!

EDIT: Oh and Brundle and Coulthard are doing a truely great job! It's exactly what I want to be hearing!

I only watched the highlights online because I missed the race but their commentary really stood out for me too. Coulthard's analysis is superb.

They are top notch, Basically they are both race drivers who know what there on about, Also Coulthard spots things that the other idiot would have missed. I hate it when commentators miss important things and it's so blatantly obvious!!

Argh! Legard is on Football commentry now, he was doing the Norwich game. He kept saying Pacheco wrong, god.

Great race, really enjoyed it. So much happened i can't even recall most of it.