NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2011

ABSOLUTELY EPIC!! :D

What an incredible race, non-stop amazing!

There's too much to talk about, it was just sensational racing from beginning to end!!

And to think China is normally one of the worst races of the season, that was one of the best races of the last few years!

What a drive from Lewis, Awesome!!

The fight is on!! :D

Jenson's stop... :p

Great drive from Di Resta (fan of his aswell Goron), he deserved some points.

Massa found some form, race to forget for Alonso

Good drive from Webber (helped by tyres mind)

So pleased Seb was beaten!

Rosberg, good drive but not attacking enough perhaps? Schumi had a good drive too.

Tyres working a treat

More great commentary

Lewis was clever to learn from last week and save himself a new set of tyres, maybe even qualifying where he did on purpose... it kinda sounded like that, he was so pleased to show off what tyres he had left in the press conference.

But then you can also look at what Webber was able to achieve today... without taking it to quite that extreme level he found himself in, what's to say the top teams who have the outright pace, wouldn't be better off going out in Q2 and having a couple of sets of brand new tyres for the race!

Strategies, strategies!

Edited by Retro_Link

I understand I've been spoilt somewhat with the recent races as they've all been a joy to watch! Today's race was just superb from start to finish. I think this is the first time I've seen a race where a 3 stopper has beaten a 2 stop strategy, and I like it! Those tyres really do wear down out there now, there's such a visible difference.

Button in the wrong pit was plain bizarre :laughing:

But if the rest of the season is anything like the first 3 races then I can't wait - come on McLaren! :D

Argh! I wake up and remind myself not to check BBC Sport, or watch Sky Sports News, which is always the first thing I do when I wake up. :heh: Go onto Facebook and there it is, Mclaren page saying great win! Then the Lewis Hamilton page saying win.

So I knew who won before I watched the re-run. It was still amazing, so much strategy involved. Lewis drove really well, was always quick throughout all phases of the race. Disappointed that Di Resta couldn't get a point, after being 7th for most of the race, he's becoming a favourite of mine already, really like him.

I understand I've been spoilt somewhat with the recent races as they've all been a joy to watch! Today's race was just superb from start to finish. I think this is the first time I've seen a race where a 3 stopper has beaten a 2 stop strategy, and I like it! Those tyres really do wear down out there now, there's such a visible difference.

Button in the wrong pit was plain bizarre :laughing:

But if the rest of the season is anything like the first 3 races then I can't wait - come on McLaren! :D

I think the most famous incident of a 3 stopper beating a 2 stopper was the 1998 Hungarian GP. Hungary is typically a very boring race with little overtaking and Schumacher was in an inferior car to his main rival Mika Hakkinen...and suddenly Ross brawn decides to switch him to a 3 stopper. Even though the overtaking happened in the pits it's incredible to watch as Brawn famously told michael 'you need to find 25 seconds in 19 laps', which if you watch the video on the link, Michael finds and it is brilliant to watch. On the limit of staying on it and flying right off. Regarded as one of the all time great F1 drives and rightly so:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/8859929.stm

As for todays race, just amazing. Great drives from Lewis, Webber and Schumacher, all of whom were incredible. Amazingly Webber only finished 7 seconds behind the leader despite his awful first stint in traffic :hehe: Glad he got on the podium, he had some rotten luck.

As for the overtakes, yes some were easy due to different strategies but wow, Webber on Schumacher, Nico on Massa into turn 15 and Lewis on Jenson...all incredible.

And yes Dyson you've been incredibly spoiled. It's taken me 11 years to get as much drama in a dry race (Spa 2000) and you got 2 in a row :( So many wasted years.....:hehe:

Edit: I've just watched that link I posted and jesus I get chills everytime I watch it. Incredible commentary from Murray as Michael comes out of the pits for the last time, 'And look, look, they are behind him, THEY ARE BEHIND HIM'. He couldn't believe it. I don't think anyone could.

Edited by Goron_3

*cough* Suzuka '05.

What I absolutely LOVED about todays race was all the leaders (actually the top 6/7 cars) were seperated by a few seconds and full on racing each other for the ENTIRE race. Usually it's 2 (at the very most 4) cars racing at the front and then gaps to the next couple.

Edited by Retro_Link

That video was incredible! Cheers Goron!

It got me thinking about commentary; Murray Walker was an amazing commentator. I remember watching a race every month or two with my parents and loving his voice then and watching that video now that I'm in to it, I can see how energetic he was and how exciting he made the video :D Amazing to think Martin Brundle is still commentating.. I can't imagine F1 without his voice! Much like when Walker stopped too I'm sure..

What I absolutely LOVED about todays race was all the leaders (actually the top 6/7 cars) were seperated by a few seconds and full on racing each other for the ENTIRE race. Usually it's 2 (at the very most 4) cars racing at the front and then gaps to the next couple.

Oh yeah big time! It was incredible! I was hooked the whole way through :D

That certainly was one Epic race.

constant action, I made the mistake of trying to do the ironing while watching it (I recorded it and watched it later), but little ironing was done, as I couldn't look away from the TV.

Button parking up in Redbull garage was hilarious.

Webber did really well, but I would of preferred Button getting a podium position. When Vettel hugged Hamilton & shook his hand and such after the race, can only imagine how forced Vettel's smile must of been.

You know Dyson, seeing as you're actually quite new to F1 you've missed out on some classic f1 races! Hungary 98 was great but the action didn't happen on track, but there are races like Suzuka 2005 (like Retro always loves to bring up) which are just mindblowing. It features 2 of the greatest overtakes in F1 history and the winner was decided on the last frickin' lap :D

Basically the title had already been decided (Alonso) but the fast drivers (Alonso, Kimi, Michael) had problems in qualifying and all started at the back of the grid and spent the next 90 minutes trying to get to the front. Be prepared:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8273482.stm

Also, it's true what you said about Brundle. He has commentated on F1 ever since I can remember, he is literally the voice of F1 for me.

Man that Maurice Hamilton Suzuka commentary is aweful! Thank god Davidson chimed in halfway through and saved it!

Yeah Brundle is the voice of F1 for me too! I remember Murray doing some commentary, but he wasn't all that great in the last few years. Great to listen back to in the classic races though!

Oh and, funny!... :D

buttonpits.jpg

279400891.jpg

Those overtakes were great! Man there's some good stuff I've missed! I'm just glad the races I've seen so far have been as entertaining as they have. When's the next race? It's not a 3 week wait is it?

Those overtakes were great! Man there's some good stuff I've missed! I'm just glad the races I've seen so far have been as entertaining as they have. When's the next race? It's not a 3 week wait is it?
Yep 3 weeks until Turkey unfortunately!

I'm really looking forward to getting back amongst the European circuits.

Yeah the european circuits are definitely the best, bar Valencia and Hungaroring. I do love the Spanish GP despite it being boring as fuck; it's just a beautiful race track.

Apparently the race on Sunday had 85 overtakes, a RECORD for a dry race! That's amazing. If I recall correctly Valencia has only ever seen 3 overtakes :o

Valencia, 3 overtakes... and 1 backflip! :p

I quite like the Hangaroring for it's attractive layout, hills and fast corners, but yeah, maybe we'll see a bit more action there this year, though tbh the circuits probably too narrow for much other than on the main straight anyway!

Yeah lovely track! (again, with no overtaking :p)

Imola, Hungaroring, Monza, A1 Ring, Canada, are probably the top 5 beautiful circuits?!

Yeah lovely track! (again, with no overtaking :p)

Imola, Hungaroring, Monza, A1 Ring, Canada, are probably the top 5 beautiful circuits?!

SPAAAAAAAAAAA?

........................................................................... :blank:

How could I forget!!

Just hope and pray to every god you know that nothing ever comes of it.

Here, wash the taste out with this little beauty -

Here, wash the taste out with this little beauty -

God I love Formula 1! :D

EDIT:

Ecclestone says Formula 1 not for sale

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90892

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says the sport in not for sale following reports that Rupert Murdoch's News Corp is in talks over acquiring control of grand prix racing.

"It's rubbish," Ecclestone told the Telegraph Sport. "The sport is not for sale."

Edited by Retro_Link

That Ferrari advert is simply stunning.

Also, is anyone going to the n-europe meet? 16th July I believe it is. I will probably will go, would be great to see some of you there *retro, ahem*, could have a good in depth f1 convo and such.

I am, but in-depth seems too far for me. Just a normal conversation about F1 probably all I could manage!