NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2011

If you thought Abu Dhabi wasn't the best season finale...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89714

Ecclestone eyes November Bahrain date

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has ruled out a summer slot for the Bahrain GP, and is aiming to have the race at the end of the season instead.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Also...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89706

Pirelli backs artificial wet races

Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli has backed Bernie Ecclestone's idea of introducing artificial wet races in a bid to increase excitement in the sport.

I don't doubt that turning some sprinklers on could create some interesting races... but seriously!... how bad have things got in the sport when the excitment/racing has to be artificially created!... Movable rear wings/KERS/tyres that fall away rapidly/ and now there's talk of sprinklers! :nono:

An in season wet test or a wet race in which points weren't given out, it was just for entertainment would be alright...be not an actual important race :/

Fuck Bahrain, awful track. 3 Long straights, one long back straight, 4 second gear corners (maybe 5?), is that REALLY the best they could come up with?

Artificial wet races? You may as well replace whole sections of track with grass, or have the drivers get out and run in clown shoes for a lap. Actually screw the racing, lets just cut to the chase and replace all the circuits with Thunderdome-style facilities where teams of drivers & engineers alike are pitted to the death in tight leather panties.

Edited by gaggle64

haha, yeah it does start crossing the line towards F1 Wacky Races! It's no different to equiping each car with an oil slick, or smoke screen!

Give 'em a cockpit mounted machine gun/rockets/heat seeker missle... and lets turn the Bahrain desert track into F1 Death Race!

That final scene is immense, love it. I really hope I can find somewhere to see this over here.

HRT delay launch of new car, and are expected to name Liuzzi as their second driver...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89814

HRT delays new car debut to Friday

Hispania Racing's new car is now expected to make its track debut at Barcelona on Friday after its maiden run was delayed.

The Spanish squad was expecting to have the car - the F111 - ready today or tomorrow, but the team confirmed to AUTOSPORT on Wednesday that it will run for the first time on Friday.

Hispania said Indian Narain Karthikeyan and another unnamed driver will be in charge of testing duties on Friday and Saturday.

The team is yet to confirm its second racing driver, although Tonio Liuzzi said on Tuesday that a deal with the team was imminent.

"There's no contract yet, but they need an experienced driver while I'm free after the Force India split, so the elements are all there," he told Autosprint.

The F111 has been designed by a group of engineers led by Geoff Willis.

lol, this cars gonna get a grand total of 2 days worth of running before the new season... mind you, I think that's an improvement over last year is it not?... didn't that car debut on Friday practice!

EDIT:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89816

Liuzzi completes Hispania deal

Hispania has confirmed that Tonio Liuzzi will be its second driver this year, as the Italian's signing completes the 2011 Formula 1 line-up.

Edited by Retro_Link

@Retro Na I think they debuted in qualifying right?

And wow at that trailer. Literally took a moment to myself after that finished...He's clearly one hell of a character if I never saw him race yet his character has such an impact on me.

Jeez the 'I have plenty of time to do it' line...

@Retro Na I think they debuted in qualifying right?

And wow at that trailer. Literally took a moment to myself after that finished...He's clearly one hell of a character if I never saw him race yet his character has such an impact on me.

Jeez the 'I have plenty of time to do it' line...

lol HRT!

Yeah the trailer had the exact same effect on me... and that line... shot right through me! Gonna be emotional stuff!

Looking like it's back to a 2 horse race for the Championship? That in itself is disappointing, but lets hope other teams will step up in the Mclaren/Mercades position last year

Looks like it, though it doesn't look like it's going to be a 2009-type disaster for McLaren either. The real interest is further down the field - Williams and Sauber look fantastic this year, I'd love to see them push closer to the front.

I'm not so sure about that, pretty much everyone that talks about the McLaren seems to be saying how much of a pig it looks to drive. Hopefully they will be right at the back so we aren't punished by having to look at that car on TV.

Since today Mercedes may not be so far off the pace after all... they used their upgraded car with the new aero package on it at the test today and Schumi managed to set the fastest time of the entire Barcelona practices! Rosberg was third today.

Also, apparently Legard has tweeted saying McLaren mechanics are preparing for another '09 catch-up season.

Yep, all the way Up the Hill! :D

Don't remind me of his reign of terror.

SAY WHAT...?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/mar/11/wimbledon-formula-one-bbc-cuts?CMP=twt_fd

Wimbledon and Formula One at risk as BBC seeks sports cuts

Managers try to deal with licence fee freeze, with both events seen as expensive to cover

BBC bosses have identified abandoning coverage of Formula One and Wimbledon as one way of saving money to help the broadcaster contend with the frozen licence fee settlement imposed last autumn.

Senior managers drawing up cost-saving options have alighted on the £40m-a-year motor racing deal and the long-running tennis coverage as ways in which the BBC could help achieve a £600m annual saving targeted for 2014.

Formula One, although helped by the popularity of Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button, is not peak-time programming, and as a result is viewed as a relatively expensive part of the sports schedule. Having been on ITV as recently as 2008, the sport is not seen as a mainstay of the BBC calendar.

Dropping Wimbledon, seen as a quintessentially BBC event, is also under consideration, although that would be a controversial move. The BBC has broadcast the event since 1937, and the close relationship between the All England Club and the broadcaster means the exact cost of the rights is barely known outside a handful of people.

"Wimbledon costs tens of millions, and is a very expensive contract, and costly to cover. No one is saying, definitely exit, but it is being looked at. Or perhaps, goes the thinking, this is a contract that could be shared with another broadcaster," said one well-placed BBC insider.

However, it would not be easy for the BBC to make a quick move to drop either sport, as both contracts run until 2014. Overall, the BBC spends about £300m a year on sport, although costs vary significantly if there is a major event – in particular the Olympics or the World Cup.

Please no!!

Please don't make us go back to ITV!! Adverts, no Red Button Practice, no 5Live commentary, no Red Button F1 Forum!! ... Steve Rider/Adrian Chiles? *shudders*

Edited by Retro_Link

I've just watched that Senna trailer again. Have to admit i'm getting teary again, I don't there is a character in F1 now or since that even comes close to him. That scene where he comes to wave to the crowd and they're all chanting 'Sennaaaaa' is beautiful, you can tell they really loved him (not just for his racing but what he did for charity too). I've got a feeling it's going to be pretty special.

Or even worse, letting it slip onto a subscription channel. :shakehead
If F1 ended up on Sky it would take an absolutely MASSIVE dive in viewing figures, it would surely loose well over half its audience, at least! Especially given the tough financial times for the general public.

I certainly couldn't justify paying for a Sky package based on F1 alone.

People have been saying since Bernie charges so much, maybe he could drop the rate, but apparently he already gives the BBC a lower rate than he could get from others.

I've just watched that Senna trailer again. Have to admit i'm getting teary again, I don't there is a character in F1 now or since that even comes close to him. That scene where he comes to wave to the crowd and they're all chanting 'Sennaaaaa' is beautiful, you can tell they really loved him (not just for his racing but what he did for charity too). I've got a feeling it's going to be pretty special.
Agreed!

SAY WHAT...?

Please no!!

Please don't make us go back to ITV!! Adverts, no Red Button Practice, no 5Live commentary, no Red Button F1 Forum!! ... Steve Rider/Adrian Chiles? *shudders*

That is fucking stupid!

they'll cut Wimbledon and F1.... yet today when on lunch at work, watching tv and they were broadcasting Speed skating.... really..... Jog on with your speed skating, keep the Tennis and F1.

Vettel has committed to Red Bull until 2014. Two years ago I would've told him he was mad.

Two years ago.

Times have changed so much! I still remember Mika chasing Michael up Eau Rouge in 2000 :heh:

2 weeks to the season starts :D Can't wait! Fernando will win it though after a long battle with Vettel. I hope to god Michael gets a few podiums too :)