N-Europe

Album openers.

ipaul

To Build A Home by The Cinematic Orchestra

The first track of one of my favourite albums; the last is also a stand out. I don't see how anyone couldn't find something in it to appreciate.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Silence by Portishead

A master class in discordance as far as I'm concerned. It toes the line of noise near the start before gradually pulling everything together. The ending is a great slap in the face, too.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Sleep by Azure Ray

A suitably soporific opening that really sets the tone for both the album and the band.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Let Go by Frou Frou

One of those songs I can guarantee you've heard but perhaps never listened to.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Glass would definitely have been in here if it hadn't already been mentioned; one of my all-time favourite songs.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along with every Radiohead album opener:

Bloc Party - Like Eating Glass

Super Furry Animals - Zoom

Interpol - Untitled

(Are people seriously rating OLTA over TotBL?! Crazy...)

Coldplay (Yes, Coldplay) - Politik

In a similar vein to The XX - Intro:

Doves - Firesuite

And proper bare more.

Edited by ShavenWolf

I love Maggot brain, how could I have forgotten this gem. What's stupid... is I never heard any other Funkadelic (or Parliament for that matter) album. I really should!

I really don't get the fuss over Queen. Except the Flash Gordon theme, of course.

Well, the whole album is perfect, but you get the point. I do agree they comparatively stale later on, but still, nothing but gold, even at their worse.

To Build A Home by The Cinematic Orchestra

The first track of one of my favourite albums; the last is also a stand out. I don't see how anyone couldn't find something in it to appreciate.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Your whole post is made of awesome... but this song in particular is such a fucking masterpiece. Amazingly it gets better live:

Coldplay (Yes, Coldplay) - Politik

As much as I "nothing" Coldplay, I used to respect them up till X&Y came out, because they made an active effort to make generic pop as good as it could be. But in my opinion Don't Panic is even better, as an opener.

_____

Because they're perfect openers: (for those about to rock wasn't that good an album, but it opened like a fucking beast!! Well AC/DC in general know (or rather, knew) how to open a fucking album, all guns blazing!):

Awesome buildup:

Not sure why, but I've always thought this was a good start to an album/gig. IIRC, they played it as the first song at one of their gigs I went to. It just worked perfectly. Maybe it's because it's energetic or whatever:

I'm glad we agree... : peace: also any luck on finding the official video to it? I had to make do with the static - yet still sublime - coverart to the album.

As a sidenote did you happen to catch their latest - self titled - album? It seems to have some decent tracks on it but it still doesn't touch the greatness of Our Love to Admire but then, I didn't exactly expect it to. :indeed:

As much as I love that song (and the whole album for that matter) I prefer Untitled on their debut. It feels like more of an intro.