N-Europe

Gajinzilla Take Two

Ashley

Hollywood is going to ass rape Godzilla again!

Gareth Edwards (Monsters) is on board to direct and apparently that's an awesome film but still...

GINO2.jpg

NO! Bad Hollywood.

Okay this will just devolve into people moaning "American re-makes are always shit" "why won't Hollywood leave well enough alone" etc etc but still...I got here first :p

Source: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/01/the_american_godzilla_remake_has_a_director.php

In all fairness to the American Godzilla, the Japanese Godzilla is pretty dreadful too.

The original still stands up pretty well, particularly when you compare it to the Americanised version from the 1950's. Its a pretty good anti-nuclear film.

Yes! I read this. Cannot wait to see what Gareth Edwards can do.

I liked the American Godzilla. It was stupidly dumb and Jamiroquai's 'Deep Underground' is a fucking amazing song. The Japanese versions can suck it. I couldn't be less interested if I tried. All Godzilla is to me is special effects so Hollywood can have him.

Also, American remakes aren't always shit. The Ring was a great remake. Soderberg's Solaris is also stunning. The Departed, another great remake. 12 Monkeys, another one. The Magnificent Seven. Insomnia. The Birdcage. Vanilla Sky (I hate both versions tbh). A Fist Full of Dollars.

Isn't the 'Let The Right One In' remake meant to be good, too?

So American remakes always being rubbish a load of utter shit.

Edited by Daft
Remembered more remakes.

Yes! I read this. Cannot wait to see what Gareth Edwards can do.

I liked the American Godzilla. It was stupidly dumb and Jamiroquai's 'Deep Underground' is a fucking amazing song. The Japanese versions can suck it. I couldn't be less interested if I tried. All Godzilla is to me is special effects so Hollywood can have him.

Also, American remakes aren't always shit. The Ring was a great remake. Soderberg's Solaris is also stunning. The Departed, another great remake. 12 Monkeys, another one. The Magnificent Seven. So American remakes always being rubbish a load of utter shit.

655b6f0c-baca-411b-a3a6-8f0be0207a4a_Samara_Morgan.jpg

Just gonna throw it out there, Gareth Edwards is British so can't complain too much about Americanizations.

American studio though, which is how I class things :heh:

Jamiroquai's 'Deep Underground' is a fucking amazing song.

Also, American remakes aren't always shit. The Ring was a great remake. Soderberg's Solaris is also stunning. The Departed, another great remake. 12 Monkeys, another one. The Magnificent Seven. So American remakes always being rubbish a load of utter shit.

I agree with that.

And I wasn't trying to suggest that, but it tends to be where these threads lead to, was trying to nip it in the bud.

Yeah, I thought I'd just point out a few good ones because it's so much easier to remember the awful ones. Half of those I completely forgot they were remakes because the US version nails it so well.

Which reminds me, one of these days I'm going to have to watch Tarkovsky's Solaris.

655b6f0c-baca-411b-a3a6-8f0be0207a4a_Samara_Morgan.jpg

it-pennywise-basement.jpg

America did the best job they could with a terrible premise like Godzilla. I dunno how else they could have made ANY money from it. At least the blonde chick was hot and the rest of the cast utterly ridiculous.

Also, fuck you Daft. You know why. Bastard. Hundreds of pounds on therapy wasted. Tonight I sleep with my eyes open.

Edited by Guy

America did the best job they could with a terrible premise like Godzilla. I dunno how else they could have made ANY money from it. At least the blonde chick was hot and the rest of the cast utterly ridiculous.

JJ Abrams made a very enjoyable film out of essentially the same premise.

JJ Abrams made a very enjoyable film out of essentially the same premise.

Radioactive dinosaur waves his arms around firing lasers at a model city, the army and other giant monsters? Did you see a different version of Cloverfield to me?

America did the best job they could with a terrible premise like Godzilla.

There's a brilliant quote in the original that I can neither find nor remember but its essentially some people on a train in Tokyo and they say something like "we've been through the war and now this". Its a brilliant anti-American (military) film. The numerous sequels may have just become monster movie stuff but the series, as a whole, is a fascinating look at Japanese culture.

The original Godzilla was peaceful, awoken by nuclear experimentation then went on a rampage against Tokyo. Over the series it went on to become a friend and defender of Tokyo/Japan, allegorical to America. The original came during the occupation and while everyone played nicely on the surface there was still, unsurprisingly, some tension underneath and it expressed it brilliantly. Afterall, Honda did state that he witnessed the war in Tokyo and visited Hiroshima afterwards and that's what inspired the film.

Furthemore, the rather lacklustre response the government in the film had to Godzilla could be said to be a rather strong criticism of Japan's government during the war. Particularly striking given the general, almost blind faith-like, belief in the government during the war and the American enforcement that films made during the occupation which “portray Japanese people with creative and progressive ways of dealing with postwar reconstruction” . Its amazing how much of a criticism they managed to get past the censors.

And of course national insecurities, rewriting history through film and exploring the use of kamikaze pilots etc etc etc.

Compare this to Matthew Broderick prancing about for 2 hours just because Godzilla is up the duff...

I'm not saying the American film should try to be any more than bubblegum cinema but you can't say the original isn't a very important piece of film making.

Edited by Ashley

Just because the Japanese original had allegorical merit doesn't mean Emmerich's version doesn't have interesting undertones itself (Not just what the film was about but the context in which it was made).

I said that myself (essentially) in the last paragraph. What I was trying to say is "don't write the original off as guff".

(well, I have said that now with the edit as I misspoke before)

Huh? All I read was...

Compare this to Matthew Broderick prancing about for 2 hours just because Godzilla is up the duff...

Which is completely unfair. Saying something is 'bubblegum' doesn't make it void of meaning. Take Ugly Betty, utter bubblegum, but the social commentary it provides both implicitly and explicitly is pretty vast.

Godzilla grossed almost $400 million. It wasn't an unpopular film.

That was my personal review. I wasn't trying to draw parallels but I'd admit that it was kind of badly placed.

Ultimately I was trying, for the most part, to defend the original rather than really give in-depth feedback on the remake as its been 12 years since I've seen it.

Edited by Ashley

Also, American remakes aren't always shit. The Ring was a great remake. ...

The Departed, another great remake. .... The Magnificent Seven.

So American remakes always being rubbish a load of utter shit.

Lies... Lies and more Lies

(IMO)

[on topic]

Are they still making Cloverfield 2?

If so I don't see the point in doing a 2nd monster film, their both esentially the same film anyway.

To be honest, I never really looked into the original movie as deeply as that. There's obviously layers of stuff I didn't get when I saw the film as a kid. Will definitely pencil that in to be rewatched sometime.

Cheers for alerting me to it.

I only like the new film because of the creature design and because at one point Godzilla hides from some helicopter in a building and then bursts out from behind them.

Was so stupidly cool!!

Would be nice if someone decided to do a monster film that wasn't in New Fucking York.