Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Happenstance

They need the option to turn Uncharted TV off.

There is, under Display I believe. The problem I'm having is that the changes I make to the options via the multiplayer menu only persist for that session, next time I boot the game everything switches back to how it was.

Love the game. But let's not pretend the story is any better than a cheesy Hollywood blockbuster.

Well, a pulpy Hollywood adventure is exactly what they're trying to make. As such it doesn't really need to be 'better': tone and character are far more important than the underlying plot points, and all three games nail those elements.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed to have a session on the multiplayer on Saturday night with my friend which is when he got the game that evening. So we set up a dummy account to play with taking it in turns after 2 deaths. Multiplayer is really really fun, gunshots sound amazing and the general feel of the guns, running and overall mechanics feel great. Most games we were getting 10-15 kills and had a good few moments like a double BBQ with a propane canister on Highrise and Head Hunter on Chateau. Really like all the maps too. At the end of the session we reached level 21, with 267 kills and 268 deaths in the 4 or so hours that we played :) Most definitely going to be putting this game on the Xmas list if I don't see it going for £20-£25 before then. (Would have given into the Sainsburys deal but getting Zelda later in the month).

So, just started today. Played for an hour and it says I'm at 20%... is the game that short??? +/- 5 hours?

Also, is it just me who's annoyed by just how scripted it is? That running escape sequence with kid Drake was annoying as shit, unless you climbed exactly where the game wants you to he'd just flail about and get caught, even though when I climbed where the game wanted I ended up in the same place I was trying to climb through. It seems... unnecessarily restricting... not really a big complaint, just seems like they complicated it for no reason. Oh well... back to the game I go.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO THE AIMING??? Why's it so rusty? Max sensitivity is ultra low and it doesn't flow well at alll!! It's like you're aiming with a D-Pad, something's not right here... is it just me???? oO

EDIT: "stiff" is the word I was looking for... The aiming feels like it did in Fallout 3. Which is a very very bad thing... Oo

Hmm, guess it ain't just me, judging by the number of results when I google "uncharted 3 stiff aiming"

What the fuck happened??? In the multiplayer it's fine, why did they change it in the campaign??

Naughty Dog aren't lazy... Patch coming soon... good to know, might wait for it, not sure.

Edited by Oxigen_Waste
Automerged Doublepost

So, just started today. Played for an hour and it says I'm at 20%... is the game that short??? +/- 5 hours?

Also, is it just me who's annoyed by just how scripted it is? That running escape sequence with kid Drake was annoying as shit, unless you climbed exactly where the game wants you to he'd just flail about and get caught, even though when I climbed where the game wanted I ended up in the same place I was trying to climb through. It seems... unnecessarily restricting... not really a big complaint, just seems like they complicated it for no reason. Oh well... back to the game I go.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO THE AIMING??? Why's it so rusty? Max sensitivity is ultra low and it doesn't flow well at alll!! It's like you're aiming with a D-Pad, something's not right here... is it just me???? oO

EDIT: "stiff" is the word I was looking for... The aiming feels like it did in Fallout 3. Which is a very very bad thing... Oo

Hmm, guess it ain't just me, judging by the number of results when I google "uncharted 3 stiff aiming"

What the fuck happened??? In the multiplayer it's fine, why did they change it in the campaign??

Naughty Dog aren't lazy... Patch coming soon... good to know, might wait for it, not sure.

EXACTLY! This is where such scenes fail outright they need to make it tight enough that such things can't happen. I'm not sure how they could rein it in but they need to.

So... the first 10 chapters are absurdly mediocre. The first half (the save said 52%) of the game is completely unworthy of any outstanding praise. It's not bad... but not great either, just... ok, I guess.

But............................................... as soon as I got to Yemen, it became a whole different beast. Quite great!!! Currently at the pirate ship/graveyard thingy and I've gotta say... these last 3/4 chapters were awesome!!! It's sticking close to the U2 blueprint/formula, but it works, so I can't blame Naughty Dog for going there! Let's hope it keeps it up!

As for the first half, it's the same repetitive thing over and over... platform bit>puzzle bit>omg, they're here bit>shooting bit, rinse repeat. The guys in suits are getting to become more annoying than Team Rocket. The cycle remains in the second half so far, but it's spiced up tremendously well.

The bit with the castle burning down particularly turned me off, I was expecting something much better from a huge setpiece like that, but no, all I got was a longer version of the first chapter in U2 (train hanging from cliff, climbing it while it collapses).

Well, a pulpy Hollywood adventure is exactly what they're trying to make. As such it doesn't really need to be 'better': tone and character are far more important than the underlying plot points, and all three games nail those elements.

Strongly disagree, they could have used a simple plot generator to change the specifics of UC2 to make UC3, which I think was quite lazy. The story works for the kind of game it is but it was by no means amazing like one or two stated.

Strongly disagree, they could have used a simple plot generator to change the specifics of UC2 to make UC3, which I think was quite lazy. The story works for the kind of game it is but it was by no means amazing like one or two stated.

The game isn't really about the Atlantis of the Sands, though, it's just a backdrop to the real story of Nate's motivations. Not to say it isn't still easily digestible, but the storytelling is more subtle and concerned with the psychology of its characters this time around, ultimately bolstering the series as a whole.

The game isn't really about the Atlantis of the Sands, though, it's just a backdrop to the real story of Nate's motivations. Not to say it isn't still easily digestible, but the storytelling is more subtle and concerned with the psychology of its characters this time around, ultimately bolstering the series as a whole.

I think you'd have to interpret very deeply to come to the conclusion that a light hearted cliched story full of one liners and near misses was a plot about the psychology of the characters.

I'm not saying UC needs a great story to work even though UC3's story was unimaginative. Just that the story part of UC games is hardly brilliant.

Cube, Uncharted 2 to 3 were considerably more conserved than Indy films I'd say. But that's not to say it's justified anyway; the Indy franchise hardly stood the test of time by keeping its formula, just look at Crystal Skull.

Edited by Sheikah

Cube, Uncharted 2 to 3 were considerably more conserved than Indy films I'd say. But that's not to say it's justified anyway; the Indy franchise hardly stood the test of time by keeping it's formula, just look at Crystal Skull.

What I'm saying is that there is more to the plot than just the "treasure" - I personally liked the whole secret organisation plot.

Also, Crystal Skull is a brilliant film.

I think you'd have to interpret very deeply to come to the conclusion that a light hearted cliched story full of one liners and near misses was a plot about the psychology of the characters.

Hardly. It's pretty overt that Uncharted 3 is about...

...what drives Nate to adventure.

Chloe and Sully are in to adventuring for the money, all three games make that pretty clear. In this latest entry they see the odds piling up against them and try to persuade Nathan to let this one go as there's easier ways to make money. But he doesn't stop, even when his friends are threatened and hurt, because he's not interested in monetary value; even in the flashback, young Drake doesn't steal the ring to sell it.

(As an aside, Cutter is more in-tune with Drake's ideals than the other two.)

Then we meet Elena. Clearly she and Drake got very serious and then broke away from one another entirely, and if you listen to her dialogue — especially before they head down the well — it seems it was Nate's need for adventure that came between them. He put that need before love.

So, he's not driven by money and he's ostensibly willing to sacrifice everything he cares about to see things through. Why? Marlowe has the answer.

Nathan Drake isn't his real name. He's not a descendent of a long dead adventurer, but an orphan from a troubled background. An orphan that became infatuated with said great adventurer, after which his institution was named. He was someone drawn to an idea: "Greatness from small beginnings."

Nate's entire existence is built upon a lie, a deception that lead him to meet Sully and Elena, the two most important people in his life. He is defined by an imagined relationship to Sir Francis Drake, a name which he would do anything to live up to. Which is why he has to see how deep that rabbit hole goes, has to prove that he's a worthy enough adventurer for his assumed surname: everything he's done and everything he has are tied up in that lie; without it, what is he?

Psychology is in the everyday, it permeates everything and everyone. Anything with well written characters will take it into consideration, even light-hearted pulp.

Aside from the assumptions you're making about why the characters do what, and what drives them, most things in your post (such as him not really being Drake's descendent) are given such little focus in the game and are so quickly uttered that it's madness to suggest that is what the real story is about. Had they devoted more time to character development we might actually know more about characters like Charlie other than that they're claustrophobic. Which is why I think you're quite wrong to make such bold conclusions. Yes, we know they broke up, and then got back together, and yes it probably was to do with adventuring. But the rarity of such nuggets of information in the game makes it difficult to say at the heart of the plot is the character profiles. Just not given enough attention to be the main focus as far as I'm concerned.

One thing that came to mind about your conclusions was your opinion about Sully being only in it for the money. If this was true, he wouldn't have saved Nate as a kid while he was being chased by the organisation. Sully was clearly hired by them, thus doing that would clearly have cost him. It also seems unlikely he'd make himself public enemy number one on top of losing that job purely to train up a kid in the hope they find treasure one day! Also factor in after being rescued at the end he continues on to fight. Clearly there's no money in it at that stage, so it's obviously friendship.

Edited by Sheikah

But its called "Drake's Deception".

Clearly then, a two word subtitle makes 99% of the game's focus completely redundant.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll be off, going to play Final Fantasy which is apparently the last one. Y'know, because of the title.

I was just properly raging. Rez heard me. I shot a guy with two rockets and he didn't die. TWO.

I've recovered now. Will probably be back on in an hour or two.

Anyone else up for some online?

Aside from the assumptions you're making about why the characters do what, and what drives them, most things in your post (such as him not really being Drake's descendent) are given such little focus in the game and are so quickly uttered that it's madness to suggest that is what the real story is about.

If it were any more obvious they'd literally be spelling it out for you. The question 'Why are you doing this?', or sentiments to such effect, was asked at least five times.

[Massive spoilers]

You say assumptions, but all my conclusions are based on evidence the game provides. It's not like I've been going over things with a fine tooth comb, either: I played through the game once.

As for Sully:

I said he was into adventuring for the money. In addition to that he's also a father figure to Nate, so obviously he'll follow him anywhere. In other words he has an obligation to watch his protégée's back, but on his own terms theft is, and I quote, "just a job". Sully isn't greedy, he doesn't value money above all else. But wealth is the reason he got into his line of work, whereas for Nate it isn't work at all.

In regards to going out of his way to save a young boy, I don't see how that's at odds with the above: he might have been working for Marlowe, but she was going to shoot a kid for a trinket which even an ex-Navy thief is going to see as over the line. Sully might be a bit of a rogue, but he's only a psychopath when I'm playing him in co-op.

If it were any more obvious they'd literally be spelling it out for you. The question 'Why are you doing this?', or sentiments to such effect, was asked at least five times.

I was more or less referring to Aimless's detailed account of all character motivations and traits, some of which were quite contrived (Charlie is very underdeveloped as a character, for instance, that we know very little about).

And also the idea that the main focus of the story are at most, a few lines of the script. I'll tell you why Nate goes on to the 'treasure', it's because it wouldn't be much of a game if he didn't see it to the end. I like the set pieces in the game, and ultimately we wouldn't have seen them if the story didn't go the way it did. The story is there to enable the set pieces and luscious settings. I wouldn't consider the characters to be the focus of the story.

Aimless, just to clarify. Sully will risk his life and sacrifice his job by turning on the organisation, all for the life of one child. When faced with destroying a terrible threat to the world, as he did last time, he tries to convince Nate to ignore it, because it's on paper a good 'job'? I find that pretty farfetched that he'd want to save the life of one child but effectively say 'fuck you' to the entire world afterwards.