N-Europe

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Happenstance

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The campaign aiming seems kind of screwed, to be honest. If you compare it to the multiplayer/co-op the difference really is night and day, so I'm going to wait and see if Naughty Dog releases a patch before going for a Crushing play through.

I feel some of the game's encounter design is pretty weak. Sometimes enemies just seem to drop in from all around you, and the game likes to throw the heavily armoured and long-range RPG enemies at you a bit too often for my taste. On a similar note you can enter areas where you can take out all but one of the guys stealthily, but then as soon as he's alerted another wave streams in which seems to negate the entire point of taking out all his buddies.

The above issues aside I only really have good things to say about the game. It is the most spectacular videogame ever, regardless of platform, the puzzles are much improved over the second game, the characters are a joy to be around and more variety has been injected into every facet.

If Naughty Dog can patch up the aiming — and perhaps tweak some of the encounters, although that's less likely — I'll be pretty confident in calling it the best in the series.

Yeah, glad it isn't just me with the aiming. Can't quite work out what the difference between campaign and multiplayer is, though.

My biggest complaint is your partner AI. It's like non-existent. Not that I want them to be really good but I'd rather they not hide in a really weird place. Also, they never draw fire. Which is dumb and infuriating.

Also another annoyance is when enemies suddenly flood in and you have sod all cover. Happened in Syria...

The cockney dude breaks his leg and you have to get a gun of the first guy running up the stairs. There is no cover to start with and then there's very little cover when you go down a level.

Also, the heavies are annoying in that headshots do sod all to them.

Having said all those. I'm loving it. Just so much.

So I have started playing this only up to Chapter 5. Loved it so far...I mean what game opens with a scene in a location like that....

I think the graphics look great sure, but its the animation that really make the game shine, the subtle ways Nathan walks through an open door way. Sure some might say face tech may not look as realistic as say LA Noire and it's photo realistic faces but as a whole the faces, the character models, the animation make a wholly more convincing human being.

Just two slight grumbles....quite early on in the game I was climbing a pipe and spun the camera to look back where my comrades at the time were and they had a large grey triangle pertruding out of their shoulder and into the air and secondly half way through a co-op hunter arena match which I was doing awesome in and it the match dropped and I was just dumped back out of the menu's....

Charted Hard get!

:D

I've just finished the game, completely and utterly stunning from start to finish... easily one of best games of this generation.

As for treasures I managed to get about 68 I believe and that was with me looking pretty damn carefully throughout the majority of the game.

I'm not gonna talk about anything relating to the story, not even in a spoiler box but all I will say is that I enjoyed it very much as it kept me hooked.

Anyway... I'll let you all get back to your 'charting' while I sit back and enjoy the rest of the credits. ;)

Man they keep shoving this shit melee combat down my throat. Bloody terrible it is.

So far not as good as Uncharted 2 and not as polished either. Also disapointed they have done nothing to better the gunplay.

Excellent visuals, story and voice acting though.

I love the melee. Really like how it merges with the shooting. I slapped someone with a giant fish. Was possibly the best thing ever.

Got to say I'm absolutely raging at the heavies. They just kill a lot of the fun. Also I fucking hate how waves just spawn on you with no indication of which direction. I'll get to a point where I die and then respawn in a place that I suspect I was meant to be when the wave started. It's bull.

And for normal, everyone's accuracy is absurd.

I don't think I ever want to do this on Crushing. God knows how I did Uncharted 2 on it.

I dont mind the melee when its in the middle of a gun fight its just the sections dedicated to it.

The entire

Pirate Bay section

was awful, nice way to suck the fun out of this game for awhile.

I agree about those armoured fudgers, jeez talk about bullet sponges.

Like everyone else, i'm loving this. The characters and the banter they each bring to the table is fantastic. I'm a big fan of Charlie. :D

I'm only up to chapter 9 and the best part so far in terms of visuals has to have been the jungle level, it looked fantastic.

Like a few of you I also take issue with the aiming. I haven't played the multiplayer or the beta so I don't know what the difference is, but as Aimless said, I hope ND tweak it with an update.

Despite loving the game so far i'm still unsure as to whether this is better than the second one. This one has much better puzzles for sure, but the game seems to move at a much slower pace. The second one is my game of the generation, so the second half of this game will have to up the action if it want's to knock Uncharted 2 off it's perch.

Naughty Dog addresses Uncharted 3 gunplay debate

Reckon the shooting in PlayStation 3 exclusive Uncharted 3 feels off? You're not alone.

Players have complained about the aiming in the action adventure on NeoGAF and on Naughty Dog's forum, saying it restricts accurate gunplay.

Naughty Dog has addressed the complaints and explained the changes it's made.

Guns fire in a "completely different way" in Uncharted 3 than they do in Uncharted 2, community manager Arne Meyer wrote on the Naughty Dog website.

"Keep that in mind, as it affects your perception of gun combat as a whole since it's very easy to want to compare the two sets of mechanics between the two games.

"In Uncharted 2 the bullets would leave the barrel at a pre-set deviation when you were aimed in. What this means is that the bullets would not fire straight out of the barrel all the time - they could come out at an angle. Therefore, you could have a target clearly in the reticule and still miss it by a wide margin. This was frustrating, because it was difficult to tell why you were missing a target.

"As a result, we wanted to be sure you had a better grasp of whether you were hitting or missing a target. In Uncharted 3 the bullets now fire straight out of the barrel 100 per cent of the time. However, we have recoil - where the reticule moves/bounces as you fire. Therefore, it is easier to tell if you are missing or hitting a target. Now it is much more obvious when you are hitting or missing based on the reticule itself."

Meyer said aiming in Uncharted 3 is identical to aiming in Uncharted 2, although the sensitivity has been adjusted to be higher in Uncharted 3 to give players a more precise feel.

"With Uncharted 2 it was pretty much guaranteed you would aim in one of the eight directions and it was hard to deviate from that (imagine it being almost like a traditional eight-way arcade stick). With Uncharted 3, you can deviate from the straight path from each of the eight directions much easier and more precisely."

Also, enemies run faster in Uncharted 3 to their desired position, which changes the flow of combat.

"Perhaps one of the more significant changes revolves around the accuracy to the AK rifles," Meyer explained. "In Uncharted 2, you could fire the AK across the map with extreme accuracy, and thus players would tend to stick with the AK all the time. In Uncharted 3, we changed the AK to be used at closer ranges to encourage players to use other guns rather than just keeping the AK the entire game.

"Fact is, the AK in Uncharted 3 isn't great at long range intentionally. The GMAL or the M9 are much better choices for long range combat. Don't forget that the AK also works much better and with better accuracy if you burst fire it rather than just holding the trigger down."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-03-naughty-dog-addresses-uncharted-3-gunplay-debate

I dont mind the melee when its in the middle of a gun fight its just the sections dedicated to it.

The entire

Pirate Bay section

was awful, nice way to suck the fun out of this game for awhile.

That bit was amazing! It wasn't all melee....?

Just completed it, immense. On par on slightly better than the 2nd. With the multiplayer being better than the 2nd and the 2nd being the best game of all time, that can only mean one thing.

Just completed it. Loved it.

But there are some amazingly frustrating parts. Then again, Uncharted 2 had similar bits.

Edit: I think U2 is a better game but I think U3 is the more entertaining and bombastic.

Edited by Daft

I know I just think its a terrible section of the game, poor layout and very boring to look at and went on for to long.

I thought the layout was great, and that part had a different feel to it.

Anyone up for doing some co-op at 7PM?