NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

Good recent british sitcoms.

You hate comedy that isn't Nighty Night....so....it doesn't matter anyway.

Not really.

Summer Heights High and Arrested Development are two of the best things I've ever watched/experienced.

I also liked things like Grandma's House.

It may have been his original idea but the show didn't start off a success. It wasn't until they moved away from the trying to recreate the UK show and started making their own show that it became the hit it is. And I doubt Gervais has much, if anything, to do with that.

That's because the majority of American's don't get British humour.

It's just that I strongly think the US Office is vastly superior to ours because it's in different hands. It's a different style of comedy almost even if the environment is the same.

Clinically insane, are you?

Not bad-mouthing the US Office, here, it's quite good, for what it is... but yours is pretty much the redefining archetype of a whole genre of comedy. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with that underlined part, but you have it the other way around.

Your version is just a masterfully crafted representation of what comedy genius is all about. Underplayed and subtle, but ever so clever and rewarding. It's just insanely well-written, every single line is just spot on, and most importantly, not a single moment is below par. It's just clinically perfect, pretty much.

As for the US version, it started of terrible, and then it got great, however, it doesn't even come close to the UK version's art of craft. It does become awesome, yes (seasons 2-5 are quite good, everything after that has just been utter drivel), but it's awesome in a much more familiar way, with conventional writing and typical comic delivery, with tons of great moments but not one of them as memorable as any given moment on the uk version. It's pretty much a generic and much less inspired re-imagining of your version. Doesn't stop it from being great, mind, but it's never gonna go down in history as the milestone that your version is.

That's because the majority of American's don't get British humour.

The majority of any country don't get good british humour, including yourselves.

Anywho, it failed when it tried to recreate the Uk one because it just plain sucked, no trick there.

The problem with a lot of US sitcoms is that they just don't know when to $top.

I don't know... Red dwarf should have ended years ago( It kinda has but it's always plagued by rumors of 2 new series or a movie...) and If My family is still going I am shocked.

It may seem like American shows go on longer but they have many more episodes per series than we do.

I think The Outnumbered is really the only thing i have seen recently with any level of quality.

Ricky Gervais is the least funniest person on the planet,he is so bad that when he cracks a joke he has to laugh himself because nobody else does.

Ricky Gervais is the least funniest person on the planet,he is so bad that when he cracks a joke he has to laugh himself because nobody else does.

He seems to be a bit like Kanye West and Björk in that he himself has a borderline unacceptable personality and isn't THAT funny, but everything he creates is just marvellous. I mean, personally, I don't really care for his stand ups and most other crap, but Extras and Office are brilliant. Just stunning, really.

ALSO:

Been checkin out some of the mentioned pearls.

Is it just me or Roman's Empire sucks? First impression, but still... Oo (wait, I "obtained" the wrong item, it seems, scratch that)

As for everything else, seems quite cool! That Garth Marenghi thing seems quite a kvlt item!

Why on earth are people still using laugh tracks, though? (IT Crowd mainly).

Edited by Oxigen_Waste
Automerged Doublepost

Roman's Empire is IMHO the most underrated thing on the list. Its like a UK Arrested Development with a very strong cast.

He seems to be a bit like Kanye West and Björk in that he himself has a borderline unacceptable personality and isn't THAT funny, but everything he creates is just marvellous. I mean, personally, I don't really care for his stand ups and most other crap, but Extras and Office are brilliant. Just stunning, really.

ALSO:

Been checkin out some of the mentioned pearls.

Is it just me or Roman's Empire sucks? First impression, but still... Oo (wait, I "obtained" the wrong item, it seems, scratch that)

As for everything else, seems quite cool! That Garth Marenghi thing seems quite a kvlt item!

Why on earth are people still using laugh tracks, though? (IT Crowd mainly).

Laughter tracks are scientifically proven to make people find jokes funnier. Can't argue with the evidence I suppose. Personally I find myself too aware of them but it probably works subconsciously.

I realised the other day that You've Been Framed! uses a laughter track (obv, I suppose). Totally ruined my secret-favourite-show as I spent the whole time being aware of it.

I think The Outnumbered is really the only thing i have seen recently with any level of quality.

Are you talking about him in The Office there?

He's annoying in everything he does, not just the office. He's got one of those faces that needs punching and punching until it's a bloody mess.

Thank God you're here.

Where've you been, bitch?

Mum! NO! I'm not gonna get the bloody TRAIN home! The train stations in the suburbs are fucked up!

I've only ever seen clips of Summer Heights High really need to watch it. SOOOO funny!

I'd say Teachers is great although its not really recent now having ended like 5 years ago baby and also debatable that its actually a sitcom, each episode is longer than the typical half an hour, think it would be defined more as a comedy drama.

I don't for the life of me know how My Family is still on TV what a load of tripe. As an aspiring comedy writer it winds me up that I've been rejected by the BBC twice now and that shit is still on TV.

I watched a hilarious episode of The I.T. Crowd yesterday called "The Work Outing". So... recommended.

I watched a hilarious episode of The I.T. Crowd yesterday called "The Work Outing". So... recommended.

Yeh, I saw that episode before Curb Your Enthusiasm on More 4 last night.. it was really funny, I must say :laughing:

Edited by nekunando

It's my favourite episode. When I first saw it there were tears rolling down my cheeks as I laughed so much.

Another brilliant one i doubt many people have heard of is "getting on" which is written by Jo brand, its about a ward within a hospital, and it is fantastically done, it so accuate based on my work experience in the type of ward she works at.

Edited by Ash

Another brilliant one i doubt many people have heard of is "getting on" which is written by Jo brand, its about a ward within a hospital, and it is fantastically done, it so accuate based on my work experience in the type of ward she works at.

Fixed it for ya.

I heard Getting On is very good.

The day I find I.T Crowd genuinely really funny will be a cold day in hell.

Not really a sitcom in the traditional sense but I've been enjoying The Trip recently.

It's not the sort of show that will elicit raucous laughter — or indeed have a laughter track — but it's consistently humorous and interesting, starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon as lightly embellished versions of themselves as they chart a restaurant tour around the North of England.

I like a bit of quiet, bittersweet comedy now and then.