NEurope
MoogleViper

Beggars

So earlier today on the way back from a seminar a guy stops me in the street and gives me some story about how he was in the pub and had his wallet nicked. And he needed £3.20 for bus fare to get somewhere etc. I told him I didn't have £3.20 to spare so he asked if I could give him what I could and he'd ask other people for the rest. So I gave him 50p and he just looked at it as if I'd spat in his hand. He didn't say thank you and I just walked away.

Now personally I'd rather give money to someone who admitted they were homeless than making up some bullshit story. I'd also be more likely to give money to someone who hadn't been in the pub in the middle of the day (it was 2pm when he stopped me).

What are your people's thoughts? Do/would you give money to beggars? Do you think I was stingy for giving him 50p?

I do like to give to buskers. Because I think that they're providing an entertainment and it's just like a job.

EDIT: I just put on How Not to Live Your Life and the first thing was "I got stopped by a beggare today." Just thought I'd share that with you.

Edited by MoogleViper

I hate to tell you but the whole 'lost my wallet and need bus fare' thing is a scam.

They make more that way than just asking for what you can spare from the start.

Doubt he's homeless either, more likely a junkie.

If they give you the story, you'll pay them to go away.

I've told this anecdote before - in Leeds there are a few people who spend all day just asking for busfare from people. I was asked three times by the same guy in one day and in three separate locations. He clearly wasn't using the money to get drunk, just to get by, and was fairly successful for it.

Once in sheffield a guy stopped me outside costcutters saying he had just gotten outta jail for attempted murder, his wife stopped visiting him after the first year and he's trying to get the money together to get the bus. I gave him something or other (I usually do a 'lucky dip' into my wallet and give them a few coins) then went home -- which was opposite costcutters. I saw him queueing with a can in hand.

If he had just asked me for money so he could get pissed I'd probably give it to him. I understand that not everyone would. If they're ungrateful then... well that's just rude! Though perhaps tehy're having an especially bad day.

Sidenote; sometimes I'm short when buying stuff in shops. Ask your fellow queuespeople and they'll invariably give you the difference. Probably the best untapped place to beg. Hum.

I just tell them I don't have change, which is true 98% of the time.

Its all about debit cards.

I just tell them I don't have change, which is true 98% of the time.

Its all about debit cards.

You give them your debit card?

I hate to tell you but the whole 'lost my wallet and need bus fare' thing is a scam.

They make more that way than just asking for what you can spare from the start.

Doubt he's homeless either, more likely a junkie.

I gave a guy bus fare before, and he jumped on a bus straightaway so I was glad to have helped. I've also given a woman train fare before, but I suspect she was a junkie. It's hard to tell sometimes, and I hate brushing off people who might be genuinely stuck.

You give them your debit card?

I give them my heart.

The very next day they give it away :(

Oh I know. Like I said I'd rather give to someone who just admitted they were homeless.

Although as jay said I paid him to go away.

I hate them, London was pretty bad for it but San Francisco is utterly ridiculous. I don't think I've been out once without being asked to hand over some money. Personally I would never give them anything. Doubtless they will use it for some nefarious activities and to be quite honest I pay enough tax for someone else to be dealing with them.

I think I've only ever given a beggar money once and that was when I was sat at a train station when younger and he kept pestering me. Think he thought, "Oh, private school boy. He'll have money." I didn't. Think I had 20p left after having bought my train ticket to get home so I said that's all I have and gave it to him. A look of disgust crossed his face. I was a kid. I wasn't made of money so what was he expecting. Think he wandered off to hastle someone else (it was in Edinburgh Waverley so no doubt he did).

I don't object to giving someone money if they geniunely need it and actually don't spin a yarn so transparent that I can tell they're lying from the moment they look at me, but in most cases the beggars I've passed would have used the money on alcohol or drugs or whatever and I'm just not giving them money. There have been times when I've walked passed some and I wasn't paying attention and they think I've ignored them so they start mouthing off. ::shrug:

There's only been one occasion where I questioned my decision not to give someone money. She wasn't a beggar but I was walking to the bus station and she'd clearly just gotten out of court (she had pretty much all of her belongings in one of those plastic bag things that was clearly from the court holding area and the fact I had seen her coming from the building) and she asked for some change for the bus and I didn't have any. I did do a double take but she had run off through the rain.

The other week I heard the usual "spare some..." and as I turned to say "sorry mate" I realised that I recognised the guy sitting there. I squatted and had a bit of a chat. He was from my 'graveyard' days, and as such it wasn't a massive surprise. He told me how his current digs was a nice little squat he shared with 8 mates (3-bedroom place), and they took it in turns to come out and beg each night. He'd normally go home with £50ish for a 10-hour shift. He had a dog and a girl, but his mates sometimes just went by themselves (don't get as much without 'family'). They have their dole money for food, and their begging money goes in a shared kitty for booze/fags. It's strange when you know the person asking you for help, y'know?

Gave him a couple of cans (natch), had a rollie with him, and went off on my way. He's always been a nice lad, just taken with the tide.

The fact is for him, it's about acquiring a bit more money. He has a roof over his head and some good friends, but he's just not clued up.

RAMBLETHOUGHTS

I give them my heart.

This year, to save me from tears

I'll give it someone special.......... special

Sorry, couldn't help it

Personally, i don't give to homeless or beggars. How do i know they won't spent it on booze, instead of what they asked it for in the first place. I don't even give money to them peeps asking for "change to make a call" or "change for the bus to get home".

I was pestered throughout town once by a guy, who wanted change for the bus. He wouldn't leave me or my mate alone until we gave him £2. Think he got arrested by a passing Police officer, can't remember.

Most of the beggars I've met seem to be really friendly. Even if you give them 10p or something, they seem to really appreciate it. I've heard all sorts of stories, though. The last time I was approached by one was in Brussels train station, waiting for Ine. He came up to me, speaking English (although it wasn't his first language, he had some kind of accent, but I don't know what) and said that he somehow ended up in "this God forsaken country" and was trying to get out. We had a chuckle and I gave him a bit of money, he shook my hand and left.

When I was in my early teens, I went to Pakistan with my family and we saw lots of beggars in Karachi. A lot of them were child beggars. It was quite upsetting at the time. Still is when I think of it.

How do i know they won't spent it on booze, instead of what they asked it for in the first place.

Why does it matter if they spend it one booze? That's what I spend my money on. And I'm sure their life is very sad and they do what they can to help themselves get through it.

I guess the argument is that the money is better spent on food and such. But actually if you're homeless you're very rarely starving. There are many established "soup kitchens" to provide that service. Water, again, is free, so the only other expendatures are shelter, and veblen goods; such a lifestyle removes transport and electricity, and leaves drugs - something to help pass the time, to help ease the stress of teh day. I'm fine with fuelling their booze -- but, tbh, if they stink of whiskey then it's a bit different. If they're pissed then... well they don't need any more!

I don't agree with drugs, mainly because I don't like the idea of dealers being funded anymore than they already are.

I give them my heart.

When did you do that, last Christmas wasn't it? I remember you telling me the story once. What are you going to do this year?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was living in Reading, there was this one guy who'd canvas the same bus stop every day, same sort of time. I must have gotten told the same story about 50 times. It makes it clear he was just lying for money.

Anyweay: every day on the Shanghai Underground I see a couple of people wandering up and down the trains - sometimes it's a lady with a baby, sometimes a blind man playing the flute and a crippled lady guiding him along. I generally don't give, as most of the beggars here are part of a syndicate, or have been purposefully crippled by a gang.

There was one time that I gave to an old guy on a footbridge: he showed me his leg, it was horrible. Gashed to the bone with the skin around it turning purple. I gave him everything I had. Next ime I saw him, the leg had been amputated.

I prefer to scatter beggars with my cane, but it bothers me that doing so does tend to make one's top hat take on an unintentionally rakish angle...

I generally just go with "Sorry, I don't have any change". If it was a child, I'd probably help them if I could, and if they actually looked desperate, I might offer to buy them a burger or something if I had the time. Most of the beggars I've encountered have just been sort who are desperate for drug or alcohol money though.

[/massive edit after an even more massive over-share of personal background/history/experiences]

I'm not opposed to helping those in genuine need, but not those who have no wish to help themselves.

Edited by enchantress

But your text is just SO SMALL AND PURPLE.

Anyway, in New York they will pick on anyone who looks up.

Some guy hassles me at the subway ticket machine saying he just needs $5 for his ticket home. I say "sure, where do you want to go? I'll get it with my debit card". He frowned and walked off.

Now it's regular size and purple ^-~.

I once had a guy ask me for bus fare so he could get to a job interview. Mind you he was wearing his tracksuit and sneakers. Perhaps he was applying for a job at a sporting goods store, or gym, or something...

I've had a similar story from an alcoholic guy who wanted a fiver to buy his last ever bottle of Vodka before he gave it up. I just said "are you moving on to Whisky next?"

I've had a similar story from an alcoholic guy who wanted a fiver to buy his last ever bottle of Vodka before he gave it up. I just said "are you moving on to Whisky next?"

That'd be like going from Heroin to sniffing glue.