N-Europe

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Movie)

ReZourceman

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean, as good as it was? JK could've gone out with several different bangs and instead settled for the least ambitious ending possible. Everything happens as you expect it and nothing really makes you feel even remotely justified for having read through all of the books. The whole 7th book is just a moronic delaying of that consumer-happy ending that you already know is coming, and not anywhere in the whole book is there a single shred of enthusiastic writing. It's just... a colossal failure, as a piece of literature.

What's with all the final book hate?

I'm sorry, but you can't say everything happens as you expect. Remember before the book came out? There were a million theories on what was going to happen. Did anyone think about Hallows? Erm, no. JK got us all with that one because it's a completely new idea. And then there was the whole "harry dies" malarky - well, she got us there too and delivered in more ways than one.

I hate to say it, but if you think the final book is for kids, too simple, or predictable then i'm inclined to say you didn't understand it fully.

I'll agree the first half of the book is a little slow, but the development of Dumbledore's character and the creation of the whole mammoth quest they are on and the danger posed is important for the overall feeling of the adventure. The second half is brilliant, and the fact people were upset about some of the deaths proves how invested she got them into such sideline characters. That's good writing no matter how you swing it.

As for the movie, i found it a little boring first time, but i've since watched it again and found it better. My initial hate was the poor acting from Daniel and Emma. I hated the dance scene, and when Hermione is angry with Ron? God, that was dreadful. She punched Malfoy in Prisoner with more passion for christs sake.

I don't know if people have read the (first) books at a younger age may have messed with their memories and permanently pedastalled those ones, but I read (slash listened) to all the books in quick succession in my adult life for the first time and Deathly Hallows is by far and easily the best.

I'm sorry, but you can't say everything happens as you expect. Remember before the book came out? There were a million theories on what was going to happen. Did anyone think about Hallows? Erm, no. JK got us all with that one because it's a completely new idea.

O_O Are you seriously presenting this as an argument.

"Nobody could've predicted that because she invented it." Well, no shit! That doesn't really make the rest of the book any less ambitious. The last book is dull, avoids taking any risks or any surprises, and puts in a few deaths just to try and make that less obvious.

"Nobody could've predicted that because she invented it." Well, no shit! That doesn't really make the rest of the book any less ambitious. The last book is dull, avoids taking any risks or any surprises, and puts in a few deaths just to try and make that less obvious.

I was actually dissappointed at the 7th book. It felt like there were 6 fantabulous (yes i mean it) books all leading upto an epic ending, and then the new idea of the hallows was introduced. Didnt she say she only decided on the hallows idea when she was writing book seven and that was the only new idea she added from her original story line she wrote in the nineties?

O_O Are you seriously presenting this as an argument.

It's not just that, it changes the whole dynamic of the ending, which as a result is unpredictable, not for what happens, but why it happens. Yeah, you get the predictable battle, the happy ending blah blah, but it's the reasonings and explanations that make it a great book for me.

The last chapter in the book (16 years later or whatever it's called) is however a bunch of fan drivel, i'll agree with your point of view there. I personally thought that was unnecessary, but everything before that i found just as engrossing as any of the other books.

Yeah, you get the predictable battle

I'm going to have to reread this book again, because the final battle that I remember was:

Voldemort: Take this!

*Wand backfires*

Voldemort: I seem to be dying.

*Voldemort dies*

Fin.

Predictable? Not a chance. No one thought the end would be that bullshit.

I'm going to have to reread this book again, because the final battle that I remember was:

Voldemort: Take this!

*Wand backfires*

Voldemort: I seem to be dying.

*Voldemort dies*

Fin.

Predictable? Not a chance. No one thought the end would be that bullshit.

Yeah but it tells you why the wand backfires, if memory serves correct, and that's the cool part about it.

Voldemort was not the true owner of the Elder Wand and Harry was and in Philosopher's Stone, Ollivander says the wand chooses the wizard. In Deathly Hallows, it states that if you have won in a duel, that person owns their wand or something. Obviously the Elder Wand wasn't Voldemort's but was Harry's, as it said Voldemort let go of the wand and the wand flew at Harry.

I think it's that a stolen wand won't work as well because they are not the true owners, that also would mean powerful spells like Avada Kedavra. So in that right, the Elder Wand wouldn't work as well for Voldemort.

At least that's what I remembered. I might have got it wrong but still, I don't get the hate either. I loved all of the books and Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows are my favourites.

Edited by Animal

Yeah, Voldemort the one of the best wizards apparently, dies because of a mix-up which he would have known about. He can make horcrux's and create all those traps or whatever, and then gets its wrong at the end and a bit unlucky.

What a way to end >_>

Down with Potter! Long live Voldy!

Voldemort was not the true owner of the Elder Wand and Harry was and in Philosopher's Stone, Ollivander says the wand chooses the wizard. In Deathly Hallows, it states that if you have won in a duel, that person owns their wand or something. Obviously the Elder Wand wasn't Voldemort's but was Harry's, as it said Voldemort let go of the wand and the wand flew at Harry.

I think it's that a stolen wand won't work as well because they are not the true owners, that also would mean powerful spells like Avada Kedavra. So in that right, the Elder Wand wouldn't work as well for Voldemort.

I don't buy the "Harry was the true owner of the wand" thing. Why would the powerful wand notice he took a separate, distinct wand from Draco, kilometres away? I mean, if true, wand ownership would be utterly chaotic in simple duels, like the self-defence classes in the 2nd and 5th book.

Of course, Draco being the owner would change nothing, really, so it just felt forced, passing the ownership to the main character. Regardless, I have no other issue with that battle, I thought Voldemort's wand failing because of his arrogance was a fitting end for him. The epilogue was still pretty "meh", though.

Also, the word "wand" has now lost all meaning from writing this :heh:

I don't buy the "Harry was the true owner of the wand" thing. Why would the powerful wand notice he took a separate, distinct wand from Draco, kilometres away? I mean, if true, wand ownership would be utterly chaotic in simple duels, like the self-defence classes in the 2nd and 5th book.

Of course, Draco being the owner would change nothing, really, so it just felt forced, passing the ownership to the main character. Regardless, I have no other issue with that battle, I thought Voldemort's wand failing because of his arrogance was a fitting end for him. The epilogue was still pretty "meh", though.

Also, the word "wand" has now lost all meaning from writing this :heh:

... it really is a grey area. Word Of God says that wands are semi-sentient and can switch allegiance, but that it depends on a lot of stuff, including the personality of the wand itself. Most wands won't easily part from their masters, and certainly not in practice duels with no emotional weight. The Elder Wand is special in that it only recognises power; if it senses that its master has been overpowered by another, it switches allegiance in an instant. Rowling herself likes the fact that the fate of the world is ultimately decided in a physical struggle between two boys/young men, and I am inclined to agree with her; Harry overpowers Draco because he, unlike Draco, is determined and knows what he fights for, and it fits well with the message of how our choices are ultimately what decides who we are. Draco is busy being all cocky throughout the first books, but when he finally becomes part of what he thinks he wants, he more or less chickens out and becomes weak and confused. He was ambitious, but ultimately he didn't have the character strength to follow through.

... it really is a grey area. Word Of God says that wands are semi-sentient and can switch allegiance, but that it depends on a lot of stuff, including the personality of the wand itself. Most wands won't easily part from their masters, and certainly not in practice duels with no emotional weight. The Elder Wand is special in that it only recognises power; if it senses that its master has been overpowered by another, it switches allegiance in an instant. Rowling herself likes the fact that the fate of the world is ultimately decided in a physical struggle between two boys/young men, and I am inclined to agree with her; Harry overpowers Draco because he, unlike Draco, is determined and knows what he fights for, and it fits well with the message of how our choices are ultimately what decides who we are. Draco is busy being all cocky throughout the first books, but when he finally becomes part of what he thinks he wants, he more or less chickens out and becomes weak and confused. He was ambitious, but ultimately he didn't have the character strength to follow through.

While I understand the intentions behind it, I think the explanation presented in-book was sloppy. Maybe if both Harry and Voldemort had disarmed Draco at one point, and the question of "Who had the strongest will" came up, it would've raised fewer issues, but as it stands, it just feels forced.

While I understand the intentions behind it, I think the explanation presented in-book was sloppy. Maybe if both Harry and Voldemort had disarmed Draco at one point, and the question of "Who had the strongest will" came up, it would've raised fewer issues, but as it stands, it just feels forced.

Huh, then I'm not sure I follow you. I think it was a fine plot point. Admittedly, though, I'll have to read it again to really be able to judge how well I think it works.

Huh, then I'm not sure I follow you. I think it was a fine plot point. Admittedly, though, I'll have to read it again to really be able to judge how well I think it works.

...the "Harry steals a random wand from Draco, and thus, he gains ownership of a completely separate wand, which is far away from there" that bugs me. Everything else is fine.

I think it could've been done differently, maybe Draco actually picking up the Elder Wand near the end and then the ownership being passed to Harry, but this is just me speculating

...the "Harry steals a random wand from Draco, and thus, he gains ownership of a completely separate wand, which is far away from there" that bugs me. Everything else is fine.

I think it could've been done differently, maybe Draco actually picking up the Elder Wand near the end and then the ownership being passed to Harry, but this is just me speculating

Meh, I do see your point, though I do not share it. : peace:

I tried to resist and I said I wouldn't watch it but I caved after one minute. It's quite possibly one of the best trailers I have ever seen in my life and I'm not exaggerating. I can't wait to see this in 3D.

Curse you ...

I think this is out the day before the meet.

If it's the same here in Denmark, I'm totally letting my friends down by not being able to attend the midnight premiere in costume with them as we usually do. :heh: It's especially bad since I almost berated (albeit jokingly) another friend for not being able to make it. :p

If it's the same here in Denmark, I'm totally letting my friends down by not being able to attend the midnight premiere in costume with them as we usually do. :heh: It's especially bad since I almost berated (albeit jokingly) another friend for not being able to make it. :p

But dude, you make the best Lupin! You'd need to dress up as Dumbledore's Army and Lord Voldemort's followers this year. Some need to be Harry, Hermione, Luna, Neville, Ginny and Lupin and some need to be Voldemort, Snape, Bellatrix, Draco and Fenrir. I want pics! lol.

The only thing I'm going to be wearing is my Deathly Hallows wristband. It just looks awesome.

Fuck it. I caved in. I watched it. I came buckets!

I know right, trailers like that are orgasmic!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!