NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MoogleViper

New born gift ideas

As my brother will be adding to our family towards the end of this month, I need to get some sort of gift. Thing is I don't know what.

They will likely already have lots of clothes (they had a baby shower) and I don't much feel like giving them a bond for a sum of money that will be mostly insignificant in 18 years time.

Now I thought maybe something like a big teddy. But they're quite expensive and I'm on a budget.

So I ask you lovely people to come up with ideas and shit to help me.

Thanks.

I was going to say get a build a bear - first bear tends to be quite important for a baby. But then maybe get a baby mobile, you know those stars/moons ones that can go above the cot? You can get them quite cheaply. Or maybe a cute blanket.

What's your budget? I went for a Big Teddy. Knowing what they already had is useful - my dad bought my sister a mobile, turns out she already had the exact same one. I wish I'd gotten my sister a bunch of DVDs as she's got a lot of 'free' time.

I think that toys are mostly useless at this age, so commemorative stuff is an avenue of thought I've stood at the end of and peered briefly down.

P.S. Build-a-bear is quite expensive, and *IIRC* not suitable for newborns. Gotta be extra sure about that bit!

I have no idea tbh, usually as long as they aren't stuffed with anything they tend to be alright, but I've only ever had one.

It's to do with the bear's eyes/stitching and stuff. below 3 years old they'll chew the fuck out of anything so things need to be made to a higher standard. I bought my neice a piglet, was going to get her eeyore but that was 3+ (probably because of the hair?I dunno).

It's to do with the bear's eyes/stitching and stuff. below 3 years old they'll chew the fuck out of anything so things need to be made to a higher standard. I bought my neice a piglet, was going to get her eeyore but that was 3+ (probably because of the hair?I dunno).

Oo, interesting, shows my interest in babies eh?

Surely a big teddy is a bit of a waste! The baby certainly won't appreciate it yet and it'll just take up room for the parents! Better to get them something useful and boring, than cute and pointless!

I've always found with newborns you really need to get something for the parents rather than the kid. The kid won't give a fuck. Some useful clothing (eg those babygrow things) or something like that.

I got a Ted because it's a family thing. We all still have our first ted's somewhere or other.

Buying for the parents is definitely a great idea!

Get the kid a cell phone. He'll love ya for it.

Make sure you get unlimited texting for him. He can't talk yet, so minutes aren't really all that necessary.

I've always found with newborns you really need to get something for the parents rather than the kid. The kid won't give a fuck. Some useful clothing (eg those babygrow things) or something like that.

Yeah I was thinking something more commemorative.

I'm not sure of my budget. It depends on what it is but I'd probably say £20.

'Toy Bow - A delightful present for any child. It also prepares them for the savage violence that is life.'

[/Fable]

Yeah I was thinking something more commemorative.

I'm not sure of my budget. It depends on what it is but I'd probably say £20.

Well places like H Samuels and that do commemorative things. Or the Disney store if they're into Disney.

me and my mrs are having a boy in 7 weeks.

i would suggest like a teddy bear..bibs...dummys. Wouldnt bother with clothes as they prob get a whole room full.

either that or just get a present for the parents :)

Take them one of those dress up outfits for dogs. Then when they look at you in horror/puzzlement just act really confused.

Something for mum and dad is a good idea, see what they need and buy it them, or make a bank account in the baby's name and then put money in the account every month/Birthday/Christmas until they're 18/21, that's what me and Tess are doing now with Samantha.

Sign in to follow this