Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

What Have You Bought?

Ashley

That film is shit. A rubbish attempt to have pretty teens having sex with people and throwing what little regard they had for plot completely out of the window for the ending which seemed to be made up about 2 months after the film was finished shooting.

I haven't got exact figures at hand, but it's a general rule that I can often get stuff cheaper (sometimes much cheaper) on Amazon.co.uk than in Danish shops. Rarely if ever has the opposite been the case.

Man, Amazon is so misleading. You're all, "wow, that's a great price!" and then when you go to checkout, they add 25% VAT and you end not saving a penny and having to wait ages for whatever you ordered to be delivered.

I only asked because the price reduction to £170 over here doesn't seem so tempting anymore when you can buy a 3DS for £115 in the UK.

Man, Amazon is so misleading. You're all, "wow, that's a great price!" and then when you go to checkout, they add 25% VAT and you end not saving a penny and having to wait ages for whatever you ordered to be delivered.

I only asked because the price reduction to £170 over here doesn't seem so tempting anymore when you can buy a 3DS for £115 in the UK.

I don't really get the complaints. Even with VAT and shipping it's still quite cheap, and the shipping times are usually great to Denmark.

Is it different for foreigners then? the price we see on the website is the one we pay.

It’s complicated. Dunno, the specific, and what I know applies to The Netherlands, but:

Officially, you always pay VAT. The difference between ordering something from within the EU (is most of Europe with the exception of a few countries like Switzerland), that if you order something, the VAT is already included in the price, so you pay it automatically (the shop handles payment like buying something in an actual shop in your own country), but if you order something from outside the EU, VAT is not included, and you have to pay that manually to customs. If that’s not annoying enough, you often have to pay custom charges for ordering something outside the EU (but never from within).

These things can be.. Avoided, if you shop with more shadier shops (“shady” is a relative term, I just mean shops who don’t care much for taxes and VAT for foreign customers, but may be outstanding shops apart from that. Or not). Shop with a big shop like Amazon, and VAT and custom duty charges are guaranteed.

Then something Dutch specific, I don’t know what the deals are in other countries, but we are allowed to import from outside the EU VAT and custom charge free for a very small amount (€ 25,- or something, enough to buy a blu-ray), and customs duty free (but not VAT free) for a higher amount (around € 150,-).

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P17_1572

Edited by Sméagol

I tried adding something to my basket and going to checkout. The British VAT is included in the price, but any outstanding VAT will be added on checkout (or subtracted, presumably). So up to 5% for most items, which really isn't too bad. Only comes to about £4 for a 3DS.

They also offer free shipping on international orders over £25 now. Clearly I need to start using Amazon again. :hehe:

Yeah, but at least you still know the exact price you pay (disregarding currency conversions) when you finalise your order, and you won’t get charged extra after. With the Tachikoma and catwoman I ordered, I can expect to pay around one third extra after it arrives.

Yeah, but at least you still know the exact price you pay (disregarding currency conversions) when you finalise your order, and you won’t get charged extra after. With the Tachikoma and catwoman I ordered, I can expect to pay around one third extra after it arrives.

Ugh, customs are the worst. Especially when I lived at my old address and they'd slap on a new address label after opening the package - but they wouldn't write the complete address. So the poor mailman never knew where to deliver the note you're supposed to get in your mailbox about how you have a package to pick up. Two weeks later, I'd get an angry note from the post office about how they'd really appreciate it if I'd pick up my package at some point.

And then they'd have the nerve to demand taxes. :cry:

I tried adding something to my basket and going to checkout. The British VAT is included in the price, but any outstanding VAT will be added on checkout (or subtracted, presumably). So up to 5% for most items, which really isn't too bad. Only comes to about £4 for a 3DS.

They also offer free shipping on international orders over £25 now. Clearly I need to start using Amazon again. :hehe:

See? Told ya the prices were good. ;)

I never had my packages opened yet (at least, not by customs, fucking neighbours). The fact that I only shop with big shops who always put the actual value of the order on the package, and their reputation, probably prevents that. Or perhaps customs are more lazy here in The Netherlands :p.

See? Told ya the prices were good. ;)

To be fair, it's been several years since I last used Amazon. And back in those days, they were expensive, and you had to walk for eight miles through waist-high snow before you could order from them. And it was all uphill, too. :sad:

But yeah, thanks a lot for making me so tempted to get a 3DS. That's what my unemployed, poor self needs right now. :p

I never had my packages opened yet (at least, not by customs, fucking neighbours). The fact that I only shop with big shops who always put the actual value of the order on the package, and their reputation, probably prevents that. Or perhaps customs are more lazy here in The Netherlands :p.

Yeah, it can probably depend on a lot of different things. I like how VG+ lies about the value of the things you buy from them, but for larger orders they use a different shipping company that's become wise to their wily ways and they called me up early one morning demanding that I'd forward them the receipt. And I thought I was saving so much money!

It really sucks when it's something you have to import from outside Europe, though. It pays not to be into obscure Japanese things.

To be fair, it's been several years since I last used Amazon. And back in those days, they were expensive, and you had to walk for eight miles through waist-high snow before you could order from them. And it was all uphill, too. :sad:

But yeah, thanks a lot for making me so tempted to get a 3DS. That's what my unemployed, poor self needs right now. :p

Dude, I'm in the same boat. :heh: I'm a student, and a 3DS is probably not the wisest thing to be spending money on right now. ^_^'

Dude, I'm in the same boat. :heh: I'm a student, and a 3DS is probably not the wisest thing to be spending money on right now. ^_^'

Pfft, you're going to be living the good life for the next four (ish) years. Student loans, baby! ;)

I wish I was still a student. Now they just want their money back!

That film is shit. A rubbish attempt to have pretty teens having sex with people and throwing what little regard they had for plot completely out of the window for the ending which seemed to be made up about 2 months after the film was finished shooting.

Fuck you, tranny!

/ I have no idea. I was in the mood and Araki is an 'auteur' I've read about recently but never sampled. Plus it was bought for me, so it's win-win. Or maybe just win. A single win.