N-Europe

The Ricky Gervais Thread

Charlie

I thought we were in dire need of a thread to discuss the genius of Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and to an extent Karl Pilkington.

The Office and Extras are two timeless sitcoms which just get funnier on each viewing. I'm going to get the proceedings started by posting a couple of YouTube clips from my favourite parts from Extras.

I know we have quite a large gay community so this will probably go down well...

And then here is the absolute classic 'chatting up scene'.

This is just such a great scene. I think Stephen Merchant's parts in Extras are all absolutely hilarious. He really makes the programme for me.

I love Ricky. He appears to be good at EVERYthing. His stand up comedy is fantastic, and i can't wait for Science to be released on dvd.

The only string on his bow i'm not keen on is all the Hollywood romcoms. I think he's too good for them.

He really puts me off, but he's amusing when I do watch what he's in (which is rarely). But the thought of watching one of his films makes me a bit ill. I never want to.

But no, I find Extras and Office (not seen very much of that though) amusing enough in small amounts.

Ricky Gervais is awesome!

The Office and Extras are amazing.

Stands ups are also amazing.

His films are "alright" (I haven't seen his latest one).

Considering he's only actually wrote/directed two films, I think he's doing well on that front.

But on the other hand: fuck him.

It's all about the round headed cunt.

I really can't wait for An Idiot Abroad in September and Life's Too Short.

Also his Science gig was his best yet in my opinion.

Well he's the most famous because it's got his name on and he's the lead in The Office and Extras.

But he's admitted plenty of times that the real star of the podcasts is Karl and that they are there to just essentially poke him.

If you've listened to all the original XFM shows it makes a whole lot of sense in terms of where it all came from.

What I find odd about Gervais is that he can write some good comedy (Patrick Stewart's lines on Extras are amazing, for example), he just seems to say everything in a dull tone and the timing just seems completely off.

He should stay behind the scenes and let good comedians play the roles.

What I find odd about Gervais is that he can write some good comedy (Patrick Stewart's lines on Extras are amazing, for example), he just seems to say everything in a dull tone and the timing just seems completely off.

Really?

I thought he had excellent timing, shown in his TV stuff and his stand-up.

Most comics who have been doing this for their entire life still don't have as good timing as Gervais in my opinion.

I dunno, I guess I'm bias because I like him.

For me he's a likeable chap because of his working class routes and common sense and decent logic which I often agree with.

That's obviously not come out of his TV and stuff, but rather his XFM stuff.

I think Gervais is absolutely perfect with his portrayal of David Brent in The Office and then again with Andy in Extras. I couldn't think of anyone better to play those roles (although admittedly they are written for him). He's just so good at what he does. I think his humour is a type that you have to work at for a while which is why a lot of people don't get it and the American Office is totally different to The original Office.

Stephen Merchant's roles in both these programmes is really good as well. He makes Extras for me but I think if he was on screen all the time he wouldn't be able to pull it off as well as he does when he's only on screen for a few minutes an episode.

I'm not exactly his biggest fan. But I haven't really watched anything with him in it, so I guess I can't really judge :/

Also, I don't know why, but I tend to get annoyed easily at British comedians/or famous people in general who try to go Hollywood and become all famous in America.

I did see him on Alan Carr the other day though with some other comedian, and I'll admit that he was pretty funny!