Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mafia General Discussion Thread

ReZourceman

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its so messed up. I lolled at (well, both the changing of the way we roll.....three silencees on night one) but I lolled at 31 players and 40 pages, whereas Gentlemens II is on like 80 pages with 23 ish players, and not even finished.

Oh that was Anime....I didn't even realise. :p

Wooh, so it is original? :yay:

Go ahead! :p I want to be a snowfox! :p

Actually, general animation. Characters from all kinds of cartoons. I initially only looked at the first revealed character, and I saw some mention of Pokémon.

Edited by Sméagol
Automerged Doublepost

Some general questions:

Would people like to be able to choose their alignment? Haven't thought seriously about this yet, dunno how to go about this.

I saw an mafia on another forum which allowed to do this, and that one seemed to be free-for-all, I have no clue how they managed that. Unfortunately I'm not an active member there, but perhaps the game is over, and I can get a quick look. My thought was to simply have an allotment, and alignments were given out on a first-come, first-served basis.

And there was something else.. But.. Hmm. I'll think of it.

Oh yeah - got killed well quick there. No wonder I don't remember it at all :P

(we definitely have an overtalking problem with current mafia games. Really dulls the whole thing for me.)

Overtalking? Or overanalysing?

As ReZ said up there, I'm in agreement with him. I think if we wait until Gentlemen's is finished to start another one it'll be a long long time, with no time limits for days and nights and so many players... as I was killed off first (damn mafia!) it is quite annoying only being in one game, and I don't quite understand the "there must only be two running" rule.

And even, "I can't concentrate or get into Peeps mafia because Jonnas' is so epic." I think this is a load of bullshit and an insult to Peeps really, he's got an awesome game going which I'm finidng extremely fun to be part of.

I think the rules that have been set up with the waiting list and "two games at a time" stuff is a bit too strict, I'm sure there is enough people for more than two games at once, and also with the waiting list, I feel that if you aren't ready when it gets to your time, you should go down to the bottom of the queue.

There's too much pressure on every mafia to be the "defining" mafia which takes up all your time imo.

Oh yeah - got killed well quick there. No wonder I don't remember it at all :P

(we definitely have an overtalking problem with current mafia games. Really dulls the whole thing for me.)

I like how this contradicts itself though ;).

Dyson; overanalysing, I guess. Pages and pages and reams and reams of discussion about minutae, all squeezed into a time-limited phase so people talk and talk because they have a deadline, rather than actually focusing on getting to a point where the consensus of the players is to introduce a new phase. the Vote: No lynch tool is utterly under-utilised. It's meant to bring on the next phase but when you know it's up in 24/48 hours there's less need to unite the players and come to a democratic decision.

And even, "I can't concentrate or get into Peeps mafia because Jonnas' is so epic." I think this is a load of bullshit and an insult to Peeps really, he's got an awesome game going which I'm finidng extremely fun to be part of.

I agree with this, don't sign up if you aren't going to put any effort in.

As ReZ said up there, I'm in agreement with him. I think if we wait until Gentlemen's is finished to start another one it'll be a long long time, with no time limits for days and nights and so many players... as I was killed off first (damn mafia!) it is quite annoying only being in one game, and I don't quite understand the "there must only be two running" rule.

I think the rules that have been set up with the waiting list and "two games at a time" stuff is a bit too strict, I'm sure there is enough people for more than two games at once, and also with the waiting list, I feel that if you aren't ready when it gets to your time, you should go down to the bottom of the queue.

There's too much pressure on every mafia to be the "defining" mafia which takes up all your time imo.

100% agree with all of this.

Dyson; overanalysing, I guess. Pages and pages and reams and reams of discussion about minutae, all squeezed into a time-limited phase so people talk and talk because they have a deadline, rather than actually focusing on getting to a point where the consensus of the players is to introduce a new phase. the Vote: No lynch tool is utterly under-utilised. It's meant to bring on the next phase but when you know it's up in 24/48 hours there's less need to unite the players and come to a democratic decision.

Welcome to my head!

It's why I feel like running a Bare Bones again. Bring back some of what made the original mafias so endearing. Hopefully, anyway. I know the first one was popular..

Ideally I'd like to actually play in one, but everyone seems to be obsessed with running 'epic' mafias with a universe full of roles and characters and storylines, which is cool, but has come away from what made the games as entertaining as they were originally.

I don't know. It feels like people want concrete evidence in order to perform a lynch on someone, and the games aren't based around that. It's meant to provoke creativity and ingenuity amongst players, to make us try and deceive others with our actions rather than what someone found out one night. It's far too easy to find out that someone is lying when they say they're an investigator in these epic games because there's someone that can investigate roles, and alignments, and targets, and so on and so forth.

If you don't have the time to read all the "overanalysing" then maybe you shouldn't join in the first place.

I think maybe you're guilty, funnily enough, of not reading enough of my post. It's turned in to a different game.

Vote: Diageo

Yeah it's a different beast these days.

Thing is as a GM there is pressure, as mr-paul said, to do something extraordinary. I know I've only done two games (with mixed reviews :P) but even my next one I want to push the envelope a bit - the danger is in over-endulging the narrative or the twist-factors and leaving too much unknown to all the players. In most current games I'd say the mafia tends to have the balance shifted in their favour because confusion and misdirection is the current trend -- role-switchers and misdirectors weren't really around previously and it has altered how the game pans out - but essentially my next game should attempt to strip the powers back to a fairly clear set of roles, with good guys and bad guys more identifiable (While, of course, the narrative goes all ape-crazy and shit. Sorry. Can't help it).

But I'm hoping limiting the players makes a difference. I was considering, also, in making voting compulsory as an alternative to fixed day phases.

I think it all depends on the style of the game. In things like the Pokemafia, with fairly extensive write ups, there is a lot that can be ascertained from the write ups by ALL players, regardless of power or alignment, which makes redirection and lie-assisting-powers one of the best/most suitable tools for the mafia. In games with not as-extensive write ups then it relies more on behaviour than that I guess.

I personally like epic, bright games with weird, new and cool/powerful powers (Smash Bros) AND epic, story centric, write up lacking games (Gentlemens) right over to more basic games.....they're all quite different, but I love them all really. Its good to have variation.

But I'm hoping limiting the players makes a difference. I was considering, also, in making voting compulsory as an alternative to fixed day phases.

I think that's a bit much...strict and shorter (no longer than 24 hours) day/night phase limits should correct things like the aforementioned overanalysing. imo.

I personally like epic, bright games with weird, new and cool/powerful powers (Smash Bros) AND epic, story centric, write up lacking games (Gentlemens) right over to more basic games.....they're all quite different, but I love them all really. Its good to have variation.

Yeah, there's a lot of variation between games, which is essentially like "genre" of mafia game: wordy and epic, short and intense, etc. It's a shame that the genre can't really be determined and advertised before the game starts, since it depends on who's playing sometimes.

Because of the long night phases, it feels like you have to discuss pretty much everything in the Gentlemen's mafia. Like, there's so much you want to discuss and find out, because you know you won't get another chance for a few days once it goes into night phase mode.

It's a good game. Really hard, though. It seems very hard to find information about other characters, so that's why it tends to be discussion based and all theorised.

Welcome to my head!

It's why I feel like running a Bare Bones again. Bring back some of what made the original mafias so endearing. Hopefully, anyway. I know the first one was popular..

Ideally I'd like to actually play in one, but everyone seems to be obsessed with running 'epic' mafias with a universe full of roles and characters and storylines, which is cool, but has come away from what made the games as entertaining as they were originally.

I don't know. It feels like people want concrete evidence in order to perform a lynch on someone, and the games aren't based around that. It's meant to provoke creativity and ingenuity amongst players, to make us try and deceive others with our actions rather than what someone found out one night. It's far too easy to find out that someone is lying when they say they're an investigator in these epic games because there's someone that can investigate roles, and alignments, and targets, and so on and so forth.

The thing is, you want games that have a different set of values than the ones we see at the moment, and that's totally fine, but others prefer the current type of game. I personally find the "epic" mafias with great storylines and characters to be much more engaging than other mafias I have played.

Surely there is room for both types of mafia on this forum. :)

Also, regarding Peeps's game, I can concentrate on it fine, and I think it's a great game, but I must admit that I'm more engaged in Jonnas's game because it's how the perfect mafia game looks in my mind. There are other reasons why I haven't been as active as usual, but it does contribute somewhat to it. I'm sorry if anyone feels offended by that, because it isn't due to any kind of dislike, but simply, like with yourself, a matter of personal preference.

It's a good game. Really hard, though. It seems very hard to find information about other characters, so that's why it tends to be discussion based and all theorised.

Ahh, I agree. Maybe there shouldn't be limits on length of day and night phases then, and it's all up to the GM. What I was trying to say was that it's a shame GMs can't be like "ok, this mafia will be full of overanalysing" and people who don't like that can steer clear, while people who do can overanalyse to their heart's content. But that's impossible because you don't know how a game will turn out until it gets going.

Sign-up threads ought to inform players of any terms and conditions :P Stricter time phases do not suit me, personally, because i can't guarentee I have the time to give full attention to the game daily. I really don't think compulsory votes would be that bad - it'd weed out any non-players fairly quick, and if a majorty is reached then it doesn't matter if not everyone has voted.if majority is, say, 9, and there's 8 on no lynch and 8 on lynching someone and the other players aren't about then people can switch their oratorial skills on and pursuade those in the other camp to join them. Currently there's a lot of band-wagon jumping which, in my opinion, makes the town's job harder. Too much focus is put on people either being involved in or not around for a lynch, which is unfair when there's a strict time phase on a day phase. It's an external factor that messes with the game too much.

In my opinon. of course, I'll 'lead by example' with my game when it rolls around and will learn from that.

Another factor is balancing the amount of info in a write-up vs info in PMs. I'll be honest and say that I am better at analysing write-ups than I am with using my PM information, which is why I prefer more detailed write-ups.

But this is all meta and really just philosophical ramblings :P

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!