NEurope
ReZourceman

Mafia General Discussion Thread

Because the DIY one is my first game, I've given everyone pretty standard roles. I thought that using pretty standard roles, it'd give me a good picture on the running of a mafia game. I'm planning on doing more games, so i can take what i learn from this game and use it to hopefully make my next better. :)

How is everyone finding the DIY game so far? Please be honest if you think it sucks :heh:

Because the DIY one is my first game, I've given everyone pretty standard roles. I thought that using pretty standard roles, it'd give me a good picture on the running of a mafia game. I'm planning on doing more games, so i can take what i learn from this game and use it to hopefully make my next better. :)

How is everyone finding the DIY game so far? Please be honest if you think it sucks :heh:

It's always good to start out with basic roles. I did the same and quickly found out what worked and what didn't. I think your mafia is great so far. :) The write-ups are perfectly detailed to my tastes - not too complicated, but not too vague, either.

That's great to hear. :)

I try to give a good amount of information, but not make it amazingly obvious.

I think I'll run another bare bones mafia at some point. Still think things get waaay too complicated in these games!

I think its good. Happy I got my first choice, and astounded to have survived the first night. :D

I would love to take part in a videogame themed one. I followed the last one throughout and it's what got me into the games. But I never got to take part! I feel like it's been long enough since that game to do another one.

To be fair ReZ I was the one who said to kill you in the Xmen mafia thread just because it was going to hurt you. I'm sorry :p

And I followed that motion because a "mafiamaster" dying on the first night is kind of a tradition at N-Europe :heh:

We laughed maniacally afterwards, and then everything went to hell for us.

Currently active Mafia Games

DIY Mafia by MadDog

Super Smash Bros Mafia

Currently Signing up

Mafiawesome : In God We Rust

(EDIT: Didn't realise it was a wall of text., sorry!)

I want to play in a mafia where...it's a little less serious. I dunno, just a bit more lighthearted, wild lies and accusations being thrown around everywhere. Maybe like a crazy eastenders style mafia or something lol.

Anyhow, having finished LifeLight, and featured in DeathVoid, I can give more opinions on mafias. I've been in 3, one live as a town, LifeLight as town, and DeathVoid as mafia.

Live mafia's a bit awesome, bit more fast paced and a bit more off the cuff/going on random hunches or so, you have less time for analysing everything and carefully formulating everything. From what I remember it was very exciting, but then it was also my first mafia.

Being town is crazy, you suspect everything and everyone, there's a weird passion that overtakes you, it's exhillirating yet slight demoralising as your town get picked off, again and again.

Being mafia, man, that seemed hard. Odds against us I thought. It's tricky to pretend to be town when you're not, and you have to be careful to not let mafia knowledge slip out. I think it was easier for us in parts, because there was alot less agreement and lynching going on by the town, whereas in LifeLight we were lynching all over, and unfortunately killing alot of our own dudes for a while. I'm not as passionate as mafia, and find it hard to be as active.

That's one big thing too, activity. You have a game full of so many people, yet there's a quarter to a half of them who are just sitting rather inactively. The ones who ARE active tend to get killed, and the ones who aren't go unnoticed. It's a bit weak having so many people in a mafia and none of them playing. ReZ did bring in late replacements, though for me the idea of replacing people with previous players was a bit...iffy. Especially as Dohnut got back :P Like twice, I think?! It terrified me knowing he was town against my mafia!

I'd like it if there was more people in a mafia, and maybe...a bit more variation? Like, mini-multiple mafias, independants etc. It's very clear cut when it's mafia or town, but if you're in a game when you know there's more to it than just those two sides, I reckon it'd change the dynamic of gameplay quite alot. As it isn't two distinct sides, and when you don't trust more than one person, there's less opportunity for tying them to each other as being on the same side like. Problem with things like that though, I just don't think there's enough people active to make it work, plus it'd take alot on the part of the host to get everything right and kept in order I imagine.

I've wanted to do multiple mafias for a long time, but the trouble with doing it on NE is with 20 players its virtually impossible.

What I found most annoying tha past few games is that some people think it is acceptable to sign up and take no part in the game and just regularly come in and be like: "Man this shit is confusing, I am going to read the thread now".

This ruins the game for others.

Don't do a DIY mafia, Danny, we're still in one, let it rest.

And if we want more accusations, just give everyone insane/investigative powers of some sort. Or just totally mess with the general status quo.

I'm about to run a game over on another site (where ReZ, Chair and I first came from, and where mafia is done well/all the time), and I've completely played around with the amount of a certain type of role there are etc, including broken roles, having seperate parties etc.

Just go insane and see what happens.

Don't do a DIY mafia, Danny, we're still in one, let it rest.

All right, then. I just can't think of a theme for a regular mafia right now ...

All right, then. I just can't think of a theme for a regular mafia right now ...

Tetris.

Spider-Man.

Disney.

Buildings.

Countries.

COLOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do colours.

Here's an advice: come up with roles, associate them with characters you know, and follow the most recurring pattern. That's how I eventually came up with the Gentlemen's mafia (coming soon)

Either that, or just do what ReZ said and choose the wackiest theme possible :heh: