NEurope
dan-likes-trees

Desert island, top five most memorable breakups

So I broke up with my girlfriend of 4 months a few days ago. She was alot more attached than I'd thought; many many tears. I am a bastard.

So, on that note, what have been your 'desert island, top five most memorable break ups' as a certain Nick Hornby might ask..

As they go it ended on a fairly good note, but it got me thinking, what have people's best / worst / most bizarre breakups been?

(that said, I've only had like two so I couldn't do that)

hmm...

1 - Well i've broken up with a girlfriend over MSN. I was 16 though, so yeah it didnt seem that bad at the time.

2 - I've also been on MSN chatting to a girlfriend while getting a BJ from another girl. eventually i broke up with the girlfriend and ended up getting with the girl who gave me the BJ. It was always on the cards...

other than that i've always been dumped. After my last time of getting dumped (3 years ago now??) i just went on a bit of a manwhore stage..

BUT i've been with my lovely girlfriend now for 1 and a half years.

So I broke up with my girlfriend of 4 months a few days ago. She was alot more attached than I'd thought; many many tears. I am a bastard.

Last Sunday I broke up with my girlfriend of almost one year. It has been my first relationship and therefore my first breakup.

She loved me to death. And I broke up with her. I feel terrible. Even more since she's agreed to my suggestion of not being in contact for some time. When I brought that up she said that she doesn't want to. She desperately tried to convince me.

A day later, completely out of the blue she agreed...and now I'm a miserable and lonely piece of shit.

I did never think for one single second that I would feel this terrible...

Many doubts run through my head. Always asking: Did I do a mistake?

Yeah, that's my breakup story.

Aaaha Murr the 2nd thing is so bad!

Last Sunday I broke up with my girlfriend of almost one year. It has been my first relationship and therefore my first breakup.

She loved me to death. And I broke up with her. I feel terrible. Even more since she's agreed to my suggestion of not being in contact for some time. When I brought that up she said that she doesn't want to. She desperately tried to convince me.

A day later, completely out of the blue she agreed...and now I'm a miserable and lonely piece of shit.

I did never think for one single second that I would feel this terrible...

Many doubts run through my head. Always asking: Did I do a mistake?

Yeah, that's my breakup story.

Sounds like a pretty similar situation. The not-talking thing is definately a good shout though, we're still talking alot but then she always starts crying and asking to get back together. I'm going to a party that she's at tonight, which could be disastrous.

I'm going to a party that she's at tonight, which could be disastrous.

I also have the possibility (actually two possibilities) to go to a party where my ex will be. But I don't know whether I should go. I probably won't...

The thing is, because of the relationship I've neglected almost everyone I've had the privilege to call "friend". And now I'm - how "emo" it may sound - all alone. That's not good. Not good at all.

The weekend will be terrifyingly difficult. I won't go out at all and drown in my thoughts.

I kicked my girlfriend in the face once. On her birthday.

I'm not even joking. We were at the Crystal Maze in Southampton (think along the lines of laser quest, but the Crystal Maze, so no guns, and tasks instead) anyway, and we were climbing down a ladder. I kicked her in the face.

Anyway I didn't break up with her. We broke up (I don't remember but I assume she broke up with me, I can't imagine I'd ever let go of a female relationship) so its somewhat relevant.

If I've realised that I've made the biggest mistake in my life, should I fight for her?

Why did you break up in the first place? Must have had a reason, has that reason really changed?

I had a pretty horrible break up. Went to visit ex at her uni, guy across hall kept texting her, I was like wtf lkfhadsgshdfkljhalgjdhslkhfl soon she just told me she might like him as well since I just wasn't around enough to give her the attention she wants.

She got with him a couple of times then preferred me, so I was like fack off. Sure, we got together a few more times after that, but she never got the relationship she wanted.

Now with my girlfriend of almost a year, so much happier :)

Why did you break up in the first place? Must have had a reason, has that reason really changed?

I broke up because I was unhappy with being in a relationship. It had nothing particular to do with my ex girlfriend. It just that I didn't like the concept of relationships.

But over the past days I've come to realize that still love her...and maybe I love her more than ever...I want to try again, admit that I've made a mistake and be with her again...

But over the past days I've come to realize that still love her...and maybe I love her more than ever...I want to try again, admit that I've made a mistake and be with her again...

Then do eeeet! tell her this before it's too late and you end up possibly regretting it.

Then do eeeet! tell her this before it's too late and you end up possibly regretting it.

I will. Tonight at the local "Schützenfest" I will confess to her that I've made the biggest mistake in my life and that I want her back.

Fingers crossed.

I will. Tonight at the local "Schützenfest" I will confess to her that I've made the biggest mistake in my life and that I want her back.

Fingers crossed.

I think if you get her back it'll take a lot of time for her to trust you again. But good luck to the pair of you.

My worst was the only guy I ever loved, I won't go into details but I let him back in my life three times and that was after he'd cheated on me, walked away and the last time was thinking he'd made a mistake.

Last year I told him to get out of my life, we're friends - barely. But after 5 years there's only so much you can take.

I've dumped people via text/msn/email, I'm pretty ruthless, I can get bored incredibly easy, don't get me wrong mind, there have been relationships where I've been the one who's been dumped harshly, it happens.

My latest one was mutual, he stopped being the boyfriend and I gave up being the girlfriend, we ended up friends and decided to call it off.

I've only been in two relationships that could be called "serious", the second of which is ongoing and has recently clocked in its third year.

The breakup of my first was... something which I regret. To clarify: I regret getting choked up by it. I regret giving a shit. I regret not being the one who ended it first. Gutted. I mean... we were living together and I walked out, but I didn't really end it, I just kind of decided that living together wasn't working. What I really should've done is said "you suck, I'm outta here". Which, whenever I looked back on it, would've brought a smile to my face rather than the annoying self-kicking I give myself whenever it pops into my head. Bleh.

Thanks for the memories, suckthread!

2 - I've also been on MSN chatting to a girlfriend while getting a BJ from another girl. eventually i broke up with the girlfriend and ended up getting with the girl who gave me the BJ. It was always on the cards...

The only thing more pathetic than that is that you see it as something to boast about.

The only thing more pathetic than that is that you see it as something to boast about.

..yeh, that's pretty low :( I can't understand how you could show such little respect to someone, Murr.. particuarly someone you must have at least cared about enough to be with in the first place :hmm:

Have only had one girlfriend and thus only one break-up. I was more or less the one who ended it, but it was obvious to us both that it wasn't working, and we had both expressed that "we needed to talk". We were just so different. The only thing we had was the initial excitement of it all, and since there was nothing left when that disappeared, there was nothing to build the relationship on. She seemed a bit torn up at the time, but also seemed to get over it quickly. We're still friends, so all's good.

There is one other case, though, which is the most interesting of the two. There was a girl with whom I had flirted for a long time, but we never got in a relationship because she felt there was no spark. Later on I've realised we'd probably never work as a couple, anyway, but she has since become one of my nearest friends. She's not among those with whom I hang out most often, but she's certainly the one I've had the most personal conversations with about our individual issues, fears, worries etc. She has really been there for me, and I hope she feels I've been there for her, too.

Oh dear God, my five most memorable breakups...here it goes:

1. This would have to be the last girlfriend I had and truly loved. I couldn't see her for what she truly was which was a lying drama queen. She told her family and friends things about me that weren't true and twisted situations that made her look like the victim and me like the bad guy and half of the stories were made up so I ended that. Her family believed me over her so that said something to me about her. It broke my heart that day and I couldn't get over it for months but in the end, I got better and I'm happy again!

2. "It's not you, it's me" in front of the whole classroom is probably the second memorable. She burst into my maths class crying her eyes out apologising and she said that. It turns out it really was her, she was cheating on her boyfriend with me...

3. When one of her friends told a 'joke'. Her friend told her that I was running around the school, boasting that I did it with her (which I didn't) and she believed her friend over me, we had a row because I denied it and dumped me. It was only when her friend admitted she lied did she come back apologising and we got back together and it ended after a couple of days, we spoke when we were in school but when we left, we never spoke again.

4. I dated one of my best mates and we couldn't kiss because of her annoying sister. Weird I know but we went out for a month and we never had any time alone because her sister was always round the corner and she wouldn't kiss me when she was around. Even when she told her sister to go away, she wouldn't and so we ended it and stayed friends. We still talk to this day so no harm done (and her sister is still as annoying as ever, haha).

5. When my 'friend' told my ex that I ended things when I didn't. Me and her were happy and we got on famously until my 'friend' thought it was funny to confront her and say I wanted to end it. She called me up saying that I was a coward for not confronting her about it and telling my friend to tell her and I had no clue what she was on about. It wasn't until she told me my mate said it that I found out he was stirring it. We never got back together in the end because of him.

Those are my top 5 that stick in my memory, the others were more or less mutual and we still talk but there would never be anything between us. Most of my exes used to be my friend before dating anyway so there's no harm done in most.

Dazz your friends sound like proper douchebags.

---

This sounds absurd written down but back in the day I ended it with a girlfriend because my friend was in love with her. Empathy got the better of me and I felt like I may as well be punching him in the head when he saw us together.

Looking back, it was kind of retarded. Still, we met up recently for a drink, had some pretty decent sex and might get together properly again. Funny how things work out. :heh:

Wow you have weird 'friends' and 'sisters' and 'people' in general :p Can't trust any of them!

To be fair, I've only had one friend do that to me, the other friends were her mates and I knew her sister is just very weird in general, one minute she's happy, then she's angry and then she's silly. I don't really like her but she has her good points...

Dazz your friends sound like proper douchebags.

As I said above, except for that one 'friend', they were mostly her girl friends stirring it up. My friends who I speak to now are cool and I've known for years, the friend I'm referring to was a classmate of mine, we only ever spoke in school. Still, I didn't think he'd be a humungous douchebag and do that but yeah, thinking back, my exes friends have pretty much always been dickheads except for the odd few, haha.

Also Dan Dare, I think it kinda makes you a cool friend to do that. Did he like her before you and her got together or did he like her while you were with her?

oh he was smitten long before. He's not exactly blessed though and she wasn't interested. All the same though it didn't feel right.

oh he was smitten long before. He's not exactly blessed though and she wasn't interested. All the same though it didn't feel right.

I think you're a cool friend for doing that :D. Was you into her as much as he was?

Was you into her as much as he was?

Bloody Brummies.

I don't think I've even had five breakups...

But they've all been pretty unmemorable. Or at least uninteresting.

I think you're a cool friend for doing that :D. Was you into her as much as he was?

I dunno, really. I doubt it. But then, He was probably projecting a lot of desires on to her personality as tends to be the way of these things. I like her more now than then, actually.

I dunno, really. I doubt it. But then, He was probably projecting a lot of desires on to her personality as tends to be the way of these things. I like her more now than then, actually.

Does he still like her? If not, I think you should go for it. You never know...