NEurope
Jimbob

Space and the Universe

I just wanted to say The Sky at Night's on tonight at 12:10am.
Was just gonna come in and post the same thing!

About the discovery of the biggest star!

ha! I remember watching that ages ago when I was younger. I almost had tears rolling down my face when I watched it before when she said "would you like a cup of tea?"

:laughing:

TV Alert: The Sky At Night is on tonight on BBC1 at 12:30am. According to the Culture magazine, it's about "the disappearance of Jupiter's southern equatorial belt".

I bet aliens took it!

TV Alert: The Sky At Night is on tonight on BBC1 at 12:30am. According to the Culture magazine, it's about "the disappearance of Jupiter's southern equatorial belt".

I bet aliens took it!

Cheers for the reminder. I don't think aliens took it, probably a really big American took it to hold their trousers up.

I'll save that for when the proper internet returns, otherwise it will lag/destroy the connection i have (which isn't brilliant now).

I thought it was very interesting to see an asteroid hit Jupiter. Got to look out for Jupiter and Uranus at the moment!

Yeah it was an interesting program last night! Interesting to hear about how Jupiter looses it's stripe... don't think I knew about that, or at least didn't remember that fact.

It was a bit annoying when they kept saying how good the images were from Patricks telescope, and yet they didn't show well for us on the moniter.

There's that comit to look out for at the end of the month aswell.

I was watching a show on black holes a week or so ago and I did mean to post about it then but I guess I forgot.

Anyway, this is something that im amazed id never heard of before and im sure other people had but it really was a "wow" moment when I heard it.

They were talking about what happens to all the stuff that gets sucked into black holes and where it goes and they were saying that all that matter that does would come out very similar to all the stuff that expanded after the big bang when our universe was created and theoretically on the other side of each black hole could be a universe being born.

I really do love all this stuff and just how amazing things are out there.

Also, another thought actually. Does anyone know where Voyager is supposed to be at the moment? (Dont remember which one). Im sure I remember a bit hoo-hah a few years ago about it leaving our Solar System so I was wondering how far it had gotten since.

I thought Black Holes were places where the high density of mass caused the gravitational force to collapse on itself. Creating even greater density and gravitational force up to the point where light can't escape. And it pulls other objects into its centre and crushes it to enlarge its mass.

No wormholes or portals to other worlds.

Considering how great the distance is between systems, I'm going to assume that Voyager is just out in the vacuum of space a "Little" ways beyond the solar system.

What we need is a Voyager webcam so we can watch :p

If it had unlimited energy, the human race will probably no longer exist by the time the picture will change. Not to mention how long it would take for the images to get back to us.

As for black holes...they're really rather boring. Just crushed up stuff.

If it had unlimited energy, the human race will probably no longer exist by the time the picture will change. Not to mention how long it would take for the images to get back to us.

As for black holes...they're really rather boring. Just crushed up stuff.

I think they are quite interesting. Especially the thing where time travels slower around it.

I think they are quite interesting. Especially the thing where time travels slower around it.

Time travels slower around any mass, not just black holes. It's just a lot more obvious around black holes.

Time travels slower around any mass, not just black holes. It's just a lot more obvious around black holes.

:blank:

Yes thank you, noticeably slower...

I'll let Carl Sagan do the talking:

Some beautiful images, not least the Pale Blue Dot: the last photo sent back from Voyager II.

Yes! I've heard about this. The theory of relativity fascinates me greatly, and I've heard about how the huge gravitational pull of black holes is so strong that it bends and pulls the spacetime continuum itself around it. This has lead to some theories about it being theoretically possible to use this bend in the spacetime continuum to facilitate some form of time travel. It's incredibly interesting.

Yes! I've heard about this. The theory of relativity fascinates me greatly, and I've heard about how the huge gravitational pull of black holes is so strong that it bends and pulls the spacetime continuum itself around it. This has lead to some theories about it being theoretically possible to use this bend in the spacetime continuum to facilitate some form of time travel. It's incredibly interesting.

Well Stephen Hawkings has a whole program about how we can use this fact to travel forward in time. The same effect achieved by going at extremely high speeds. Although it seem travelling to the past is impossible.