NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Experimental thread lock

I think it's odd that the comic thread was opened in general tbh. It goes against what this is trying to achieve in removing cliques - where at the moment, that's exactly what the comic thread is.

It's just so inconvenient though, not having it.

With the film threads, there's been new ways to talk about films, with new threads for big current films, and the film club thing. The same participation wouldn't be there for individual comic threads (as seen).

Yeah. Its not trying to remove cliques, its trying to inject more discussion.

Theres barely even 5 people that post in the comic thread, to close it is ridiculous, as you saw there were new threads for every comic we wanted to discuss.

I'd rather the general comic book thread was closed because I haven't got a flying fuck what most of you are talking about and I wouldn't mind getting into and picking up some comics.

Rez is my only lifeline to this world.

Also, I'm fine with spamming the forum with film thread with stuff I just watched.

Edited by Daft

Hey, I take that personally!

CBD was reopened because, week by week, we discuss a fuckton of books so smaller threads aren't an option. If you want to ask something we don't bite

CBD was reopened because, week by week, we discuss a fuckton of books so smaller threads aren't an option. If you want to ask something we don't bite

I can't ask something if I have no idea what you are on about. There's a prerequisite level of knowledge that I just don't have or know how to get through this one massive amorphous thread - at which point I might as well read a wikipedia page (Which I do. What's going on with Bruce Wayne is loco!). No matter, I'll keep bugging Rez with simpleton questions.

you don't have to get through the thread. Just ask- or better yet start your own thread and we can help.

I can't ask something if I have no idea what you are on about. There's a prerequisite level of knowledge that I just don't have or know how to get through this one massive amorphous thread - at which point I might as well read a wikipedia page (Which I do. What's going on with Bruce Wayne is loco!). No matter, I'll keep bugging Rez with simpleton questions.

Also why I don't bother with comics. So much damn history!

Alternatively you could have a "comic books for week x" thread each time.

And what happened to those character threads?!

Also why I don't bother with comics. So much damn history!

Bull shit. Read Invincible/anything that isn't an ongoing.

You also cotton on very easily if you have a genuine interest in reading things like X-Men or Batman and stuff. I did when I was 8 or so, and nowadays with the internet there to tell you everything that's ever gone on, you deal with it.

The change has been negative for me.

The problem lies in the foundation of these forums. It was predominantly a gaming discussion platform, so thats why we just had general discussion as an added extra. However, as the years have gone by and the community has grown, general has become the most popular forum.

It seems to me the easiest solution is to satisfy the larger demand with sub-forums. We can no longer say that this is a gaming-only forum. A majority of our members have other interests and like using this place to discuss them. That's something you have to accomodate for.

So, yeah. I'm up for sub-forums. You only need three: Music, TV & Movies and Reading.

As for HWYD, yes, i'm glad that has gone. It is better suited to individual threads to encourage discussion. But, other threads worked, like UIG. You cant group all the big threads together as one singular cause of stiffled creativity. At the end of the day, some of them worked and some of them didn't.

Bull shit. Read Invincible/anything that isn't an ongoing.

Invincible is ongoing though, it has what, at least a dozen volumes? Like I have the time/money/desire to do it through other means.

You also cotton on very easily if you have a genuine interest in reading things like X-Men or Batman and stuff. I did when I was 8 or so, and nowadays with the internet there to tell you everything that's ever gone on, you deal with it.

Thanks, you're useful.

Thanks, you're useful.

If you need any backstory explained, we can explain. I know most of the history of the Marvel universe despite rarely reading comics.

It's alright. There's this thing called Wikipedia which is quite useful. :indeed:

Wasn't the argument a minute ago that people found it hard to get into threads because they were cliquey and difficult to jump into? I know I felt that a bit with, for instance, the manga thread. I'm a big fan of manga, but I have only read a few, and in the manga thread I felt like a noob and thus really didn't like to participate. So isn't saying the highlighted bit a bit contradictory?

They don't bite, you are just assuming they will.

If you went into the comic books thread and said "hey I'm interested in getting into Batman, what would you recommend" and everyone said "fuck off noob" then yes, Dan's comment would be contradictory. As it stands you can't accuse Dan of contradicting something you merely believe will happen based on no evidence.

They don't bite, you are just assuming they will.

If you went into the comic books thread and said "hey I'm interested in getting into Batman, what would you recommend" and everyone said "fuck off noob" then yes, Dan's comment would be contradictory. As it stands you can't accuse Dan of contradicting something you merely believe will happen based on no evidence.

Oh, no, that's not what I meant. What I meant was that since the argument for locking the threads was that people were scared by the cliqueyness, it's contradictory to suddenly unlock one of the threads and say "We don't bite". It's effectively applying two different approaches to the same problem at the same time.

Well Dan did kind of go off half-cocked there and has been backhanded for it.

I don't even see what's wrong with cliques anyway?

It's not like its "Guys, don't talk to him, he hasn't read Thunderbolts yet."

You still have access to the mod board, Jav? Go check the sister thread there.

It's not like its "Guys, don't talk to him, he hasn't read Thunderbolts yet."

I genuinely lol'd.

I'm somewhat inclined to agree with the idea of sub forums for Music, Movies, Books. A megathread such as the Music one was just off putting, I'd actively avoid it because alot of what was posted in there was completely against my own taste and I couldnt be arsed to scroll past the 20 pop music posts to find the one gem posted by Jay or Bard or whoever. I discovered some amazing music via that thread, but haven't venture into it for months. On the other hand, either a) a new thread for each artist to me is gonan clog up the general board or b) people wont bother posting it at all because they thinks its too niche and will only get 2-3 posts. A sub forum for it to me is the happy middle ground. You'd click that open in the same way you would the megathread, but without the intimidation of scrolling past 20 posts by Chair and Paj.

I never really ventured into the Movies thread because I am not a huge movie-goer, but a sub forum would be easier to find a discussion for a new release that I saw. The current system of new threads for each movie still works better than the old one thread system, but to me a sub forum makes even more sense. And a Books forum encompassing comics / manga / novels would probably generate more discussion for those so far as I can tell, as again it allows a small thread for each but doesnt mean there are 5 comicbook threads on page 1 for only 5 people to venture into.

2cents.jpg