NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

The last time you battle Kamek is a joke.

EDIT: Finished the game. This is only my second Paper Mario game but I really enjoyed it, flawed as it was occasionally. Fantastic charm and a lot of fun.

Oh and the end credits/parade were fantastic! So much better than the lazy NSMB ones.

Edited by Ronnie

I received an email this morning stating that the sticker book will be sent out within the next week... but... I never had the chance to apply for it. I have a feeling they might have sent that email to everybody who has registered Paper Mario by accident.

That was quick. Still haven't gotten my Layton tag. Maybe they had loads left over in the end.

So I've beat the game! Aannndd, I'd say that it's the 3rd best game in the PM series (below TTYD and 64, but above SPM)

I do like the battle system (remaining inventive and engaging all throughout, even without the exp points and levelling up - in fact, I don't lament the loss of the RPG elements at all!) and the puzzles are the best in the series (I love the near complete lack of handholding!). I think that the level based structure works well and the writing is as good as ever.

But I do think the game suffers for its lack of story, non-Toad NPCs, partners and side quests. The core gameplay that's there is really good, but it feels a bit flat (HAW HAW HAW) without those extra bits on the side. There just aren't as many memorable characters and moments as the other games in the series and it never fully shakes off that feeling of loneliness from the lack of partners. I'm glad that they did something different with the gameplay (and it absolutely works, don't get me wrong!), but I think the decision to ditch all of the story/characters/sidequests/minigames etc was a mistake.

Overall, the Mario RPG compendium goes in this order for me (from best to least best)

1: Paper Mario TTYD

2: Bowser's Inside Story

3: Paper Mario

4: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

5: Super Mario RPG

6: Paper Mario Sticker Star

7: Super Paper Mario

8: Mario & Luigi Partners in Time

BTW, World 4-3 is the best level in the whole game. Bloody loved it! :D

Edited by Dcubed

I think I´ll be holding off on buying this game, even though it kills me to say it.

I´m not usually influenced by you guys´ opinions, but your dissapointments coupled with my funds have led me to this conclusion.

I don´t think this game justifies the 40 euros from me, considering what I´ve read in this thread.

Although this is one of the franchises I´m quite loyal towards, I just can´t bring myself to pay the full shabang for this one.

I guess I´ll be waiting for a price drop, which might take some time. :sad:

Same here, FK. I was going to buy it at full price if my local supermarket had it on release day (which it didn't). Now it has it, but it's £35, and it's probably too late to get the sticker book. All in all, I'm trying to take a break from gaming at the moment and Sticker Star doesn't sound good enough to justify the time and money just now. If they had tried to make a 10/10 RPG it'd be different.

What I don't understand about the "obscurity" issue is that Nintendo (or at least Grezzo) actually invented the best hint system I have ever seen, namely the Oracle Stones in Ocarina of Time 3D. You'd crawl inside them and the game would intelligently (and brilliantly) know which bits you were stuck on and show you how to do it. What I'm saying is that you don't have to have the extreme of "handholding" or the extreme of "obscurity" - there's a perfectly good middle ground.

played about 2 hours and hate this game. I'll not go into it too much but this is squarely aimed at an audience around the age of my son. Hate the stickers, hate the combat system and really didn't like anything about it.

I think I´ll be holding off on buying this game, even though it kills me to say it.

I´m not usually influenced by you guys´ opinions, but your dissapointments coupled with my funds have led me to this conclusion.

I don´t think this game justifies the 40 euros from me, considering what I´ve read in this thread.

Although this is one of the franchises I´m quite loyal towards, I just can´t bring myself to pay the full shabang for this one.

I guess I´ll be waiting for a price drop, which might take some time. :sad:

I think that's a wise decision Fused. If it's not money you feel you can blow away freely, it's best to keep it in your pocket for now. You never know, maybe the Fused Queen might surprise you one day and then you don't have to feel bad for wasting your own money if you don't like it ;)

Clearly you were looking forward to it but then that carries a weight of expectation - at least for me, this was my first Paper Mario so I didn't have to worry about it living up to past legacy. Perhaps hearing these impressoins has reduced your expectation to something more managable but then do you want to pay full whack for a game you suspect isn't going to live up to past glories? I certainly wouldn't.

Clearly you were looking forward to it but then that carries a weight of expectation - at least for me, this was my first Paper Mario so I didn't have to worry about it living up to past legacy. Perhaps hearing these impressoins has reduced your expectation to something more managable but then do you want to pay full whack for a game you suspect isn't going to live up to past glories? I certainly wouldn't.

I'm mostly bummed out by the fact that witty dialogue, story and a whole bunch of new and nutty characters apparently play a very minor role in this one in favour of the stickers and puzzels.

It sounds as though they've pushed New Super Mario Bros' story and puzzles of the point-and-click genre into this franchise, which led to the strengths of the series to fall into a pit.

Still, I might end up liking it in a totally different way, but I'm playing it safe for now. A friend of mine has bought it too (along with a shiny new 3DS XL) so I'll be waiting for his impressions as well.

I SINCERELY hope that Miyamoto won't be paying a visit to Alphadream and that the Japanese have NOT answered in a questionnaire that 'they don't like Luigi's shennanigens and don't like the story':nono: when it comes to the Mario&Luigi franchise.

I'm mostly bummed out by the fact that witty dialogue, story and a whole bunch of new and nutty characters apparently play a very minor role in this one in favour of the stickers and puzzels.

It sounds as though they've pushed New Super Mario Bros' story and puzzles of the point-and-click genre into this franchise, which led to the strengths of the series to fall into a pit.

Still, I might end up liking it in a totally different way, but I'm playing it safe for now. A friend of mine has bought it too (along with a shiny new 3DS XL) so I'll be waiting for his impressions as well.

I SINCERELY hope that Miyamoto won't be paying a visit to Alphadream and that the Japanese have NOT answered in a questionnaire that 'they don't like Luigi's shennanigens and don't like the story':nono: when it comes to the Mario&Luigi franchise.

Despite the lacking story/characters/sidequests etc, it's still a really great game and well worth your time.

It would be a crime to skip it!

No... they just said they hate Fawful. ;)

Dunno if this has already been posted, but Toys 'R' Us are offering a Paper Mario sticker book with purchases of the game. Apparently you get it at the same time as the purchase, so it definitely doesn't rely on Club Nintendo's snail shipping. Might be worth a look for anyone interested.

[edited because my spelling and grammar were terrible]

Edited by Guy

Has anyone gotten their sticker books yet? I recall filling in my details etc one drunken evening, but no word since then?

EDIT:Nvm, just seen the e-mail from the 12th that V.Amoleo mentioned earlier...shall keep my eyes on the letterbox!

Edited by Rummy

Mine arrived too. Had forgotten about it so when I say I had a letter from Codestorm I thought it was about my Wii U repair,

Man, I was so confused when I saw the envelope that said 'Chrummy Singh' - not sure if it was a joke by my friends, or my own drunken joke on myself, or even a general drunken error; anyhow I have recieved said stickerbook and it is indeed quite smaller than I was expecting, and a little more pants. Still, something for nothing so I shan't complain too much.

I finished Paper Mario: Sticker Star this morning and it was.. decent :heh: It was certainly frustrating at times, particularly the final boss where I got to the final part of it only to run out of stickers and had to accept defeat. Following that, I went around and gathered a powerful selection of stickers to make sure that I took Bowser down at the second time of asking :smile:

It's not really a game I can see myself playing again, though I did enjoy hearing this tune during the final battle..

:grin:

I hadn't really touched the game much since Christmas but put plenty of time into it over the last week or so as I kinda wanted it done before Luigi's Mansion 2 arrives!

I finished Paper Mario: Sticker Star this morning and it was.. decent :heh: It was certainly frustrating at times, particularly the final boss where I got to the final part of it only to run out of stickers and had to accept defeat. Following that, I went around and gathered a powerful selection of stickers to make sure that I took Bowser down at the second time of asking :smile:

It's not really a game I can see myself playing again, though I did enjoy hearing this tune during the final battle..

:grin:

I hadn't really touched the game much since Christmas but put plenty of time into it over the last week or so as I kinda wanted it done before Luigi's Mansion 2 arrives!

Definitely want to get into this properly and complete it soon! I hope it clicks.

I loved the game, thought it was fantastic. Though I also loved Super Paper Mario and no one else seems to.

I loved the game, thought it was fantastic. Though I also loved Super Paper Mario and no one else seems to.

I enjoyed SPM too, it's just that I rate it slightly lower than the previous two. It's one of those games, like Mario Sunshine, that gets a disproportionate level of disdain - still a brilliant, witty, charming game imo, even if it does have a few dull moments.

Think the Zero Punctuation review sums up my thoughts on the Paper Mario series perfectly.

It's such a shame that these games are getting worse and worse in my eyes.

Think the Zero Punctuation review sums up my thoughts on the Paper Mario series perfectly.

Is the issue that it's not 'paper mario' as you know it? In all its story filled RPG glory? Or do you just genuinely dislike the game in itself?

Thread bump.

null_zpsdaed890c.jpg

It's happening.

Having finished Luigis Mansion 2 I'm now turning my attention to this one! I want to try and work through some older games in preparation for the onslaught that's coming for the 3ds from now until Christmas!

I haven't played a massive amount of this series. Played Super Paper Mario and didn't really like it. I didn't like having to reach for an internet guide every 5 minutes having spent 3 weeks wandering around the same spot not having a clue what to do... :heh:

Hopefully this isn't the same ha.

I know a few people have said that the RPG elements are not as heavy in this one, but I'm kinda pleased about that. Hopefully this one will click!

Will post some thoughts once I've played some of it! :)