NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

I haven't got my email yet either, I put my code in at 11am last Friday as soon as my copy arrived in the post. I doubt even now 10,000 people have registered it so why Nintendo Europe have messed things

up again I will never know.

I am actually getting the game for a Christmas present I would have not bothered get hold of a copy so soon . Seems like it was a waste of time thanks Nintendo

Maybe there are doing the downloads first

Got my email this morning, so keep checking if you think you should have qualified, I know it's often just spiel but it said they were working through orders to process them, so don't give up :)

Got my email this morning, so keep checking if you think you should have qualified, I know it's often just spiel but it said they were working through orders to process them, so don't give up :)

Got my email this morning aswell can't wait to get it

Woo! I received a message prompting me to claim my sticker book at 10:00 this morning. (I registered my copy of the game between 8:05 and 8:10 on last Friday.) Strangely, the subject of the message was "Nintendo Newsletter".

I registered my game at about midday last Friday

You've successfully claimed your Paper Mario: Sticker Star reward!

Congratulations! We're pleased to confirm that your claim for a Paper Mario: Sticker Star sticker book has been received, meaning you're one of the lucky few who'll get this limited edition gift!

Currently, we're in the process of compiling the details of all 10,000 of the lucky recipients. Once your sticker book has been shipped to the address you supplied, we'll send you another email to let you know - in the meantime, you don't need to do anything else, so just sit back, relax and enjoy Paper Mario: Sticker Star!

Thank you for registering your game and for your continuing support of the Paper Mario series!

Your Nintendo Team

Damn. I was drunk when I came on last night and apparently filled in the form, hoping I didn't mess it up. I registered mine on Friday afternoon and got it, so if anybody registered before that they should have the e-mail too - check junk boxes etc. As someone said the subject was Nintendo Newsletter.

Nice to hear that you guys are getting the sticker books. I hope it's worth it.

I toyed with the idea of picking this up in Tesco today, but they still didn't have it (despite telling me they probably would by Monday). Darn shame, can't have helped the sales. I know if you really want something you should pre-order it, but I was undecided about when to pick this up (I was going to get it, just not necessarily at launch). The sticker book swayed me but it's not much use if you can't impulse-buy the actual game.

I gotta admit, I wasn't sure about this game before playing it. But I have to say, it's actually a great deal of fun. I don't think less focus on a story hinders the game at all, nor the lack of leveling up and partners, it works on it's own merits just fine, the only thing tearing me away was my battery life.

I started playing this yesterday. :)

Still not sure if I like the stickers are your attacks system, but the game looks and sounds great. And more importantly, has already made me laugh a few times. icon14.gif

The "rescued-Toad lottery".

:laughing:

Anyone else notice that the game applies a load of anti-aliasing when the 3D slider is off? The only other 3DS game I remember doing that was Zelda OOT.

Wish we could always have 3D and anti-aliasing at the same time for every game. :hmm:

Anyone else notice that the game applies a load of anti-aliasing when the 3D slider is off? The only other 3DS game I remember doing that was Zelda OOT.

Wish we could always have 3D and anti-aliasing at the same time for every game. :hmm:

Yeah on the tube with my battery low I turn the 3D off, starts looking a bit ropey then, which is a shame, clearly built for 3D (it is the 3DS after all...) but yeah bit annoying.

The game itself is an absolute riot, 10 hours in and this is up there with paper mario 64 and TTYD for me, the way they have created it for the 3DS, with the over world and easy saves, is perfect for me, and the gameplay and puzzling/ secret hunting is a joy. And getting the sticker book has sweetened the deal too :D

The music is epic!!

Yeah, it's a really weird style for a Paper Mario game! I was a bit sceptical at first, but it's growing on me quickly :)

The battle music and the Decalburg music in particular is really catchy!

So, I have £60 of vouchers to use in HMV. Should I get this game? I've liked the Paper Mario games before despite my hatred of turn-based RPGs (my favourite Paper Mario is Super Paper Mario) but am on the edge with it...

So, I have £60 of vouchers to use in HMV. Should I get this game? I've liked the Paper Mario games before despite my hatred of turn-based RPGs (my favourite Paper Mario is Super Paper Mario) but am on the edge with it...

Honestly... I'm not 100% sure. The gameplay is fantastic, in that the battle system is unique and interesting, despite the complete lack of RPG elements (it's also quite hard, though perhaps not B&W2 Challenge Mode level hard), the puzzles are well designed with very little handholding, the level based structure of the game works very well (it's quite similar to Super Paper Mario's levels, but with 3D environments like PM1 & 2 and backtracking is a constant element that is done really well, with return trips always remaining interesting) and it's just all round fun to play...

... but there's almost no story whatsoever! If you enjoyed the other Paper Mario games for their stories, crazy characters and silly sidequests, you won't find that here. That's not to say that the NPCs you encounter aren't funny, because they are (in particular the Toads are a riot!), but you won't meet the likes of Grubba or Grodius and the lack of partners does make for a bit of a lonely experience all round (though Kersti is a good support character, with some good lines).

Now I'd hazard a guess and say that you'd enjoy it, given how story light most of the Pokemon games are and the Sticker Museum collecting aspect may appeal to that OCD side of you that can't help but "catch em all!", but be warned that it is extremely story light and doesn't feature any new characters outside of the Mario canon like Count Bleck or the X-nauts.

Edited by Dcubed

... but there's almost no story whatsoever! If you enjoyed the other Paper Mario games for their stories, crazy characters and silly sidequests, you won't find that here. That's not to say that the NPCs you encounter aren't funny, because they are (in particular the Toads are a riot!), but you won't meet the likes of Grubba or Grodius and the lack of partners does make for a bit of a lonely experience all round (though Kersti is a good support character, with some good lines).

I think my Japanese is now good enough to write an angry letter regarding this to Miyamoto :laughing::nono:

Funny that I was dead sure on getting this at launch day, and no I'll probably end up getting it in late January.

Ah well, as long as I get it.

Ooh chaps, I would seriously consider picking this up if I were you. I am a Paper Mario 64 and TTYD vet, never played super paper mario, and I have to say the game is utterly cracking. I didn't think I would enjoy the sticker aspect at first, or the lack or proper levelling up, but I have to say that neither was an issue for me after the first half an hour or so. I'm about 15 hours into it, on world 4 of 6 (I believe), so feel justified in saying that this ranks for me along side the two previous games I mentioned.

It suits me to a tee I have to say with long tube journeys to and from work, so it gives me entertainment when other wise there would be none, so maybe I am being a bit blinkered, but having been off work all week after a minor op monday, genuinely looked forward to the journey to crack back on with this, which is saying something.

For me, the story is very good actually, I don't feel that I am missing anything from the previous generations apart from playing as other characters (peach etc, which I didn't enjoy anyway) and it really is what you make it, have found the answers to loads of puzzles and bits simply by talking to toads or whoever else is about, instead of banging my head against a brick wall and pratting about (although plenty of that too) and the satisfaction of working things out has been richly rewarding.

Incase you couldn't tell, can't speak highly enough of this game and for me it is worthy of the Paper Mario name, so would def say give it a go if you enjoyed others in the series! And if you hate it my door is always open for a good kicking...

Anyone know if it's possible to disable the auto-save on this? I'm not a fan of it having to save every single time I visit a different area. :shakehead

It takes two seconds? :p

I'm still on world 3. Got occupied with Kingdoms of Amalur for a while. Will be continuing on this soon but I think I got stuck on how to get to world 4.

It takes two seconds? :p
Every... single... time. :nono:

By the time you've put 15-20 hours into the game, a considerable amount of that will have been waiting for pointless 2 second auto-save. :heh: