NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

I'll need to rent this game before making a final judgement on it, there's no way I'm dropping thirty poundlings on something that's polarising fans so drastically.

I was excited at the prospect of this game developing and expanding the concept of Thousand Year Door, which is an incredible game. Unfortunately it feels like they've removed a bunch of great aspects of Thousand Year Door and replaced them with slightly less successful new features. Like I said above, I'll need to play it before passing further judgement but at the moment I'm not expecting to be wowed by it.

Why's it always about TTYD? I mean, I *did* play that first, but then playing through original paper mario...what was so different about TTYD! If anything I felt PM64 had some stuff that TTYD lacked! Not that I can remember what now, admittedly.

However, I'm totally with you both. I hear ya on this. At the moment money is ok for me, I've been saving like mad recently and have been considering/budgeting for this especially for quite a while; I prepared and commited to drop my monies on it. It wasn't an easy decision though, I have my doubts; and I haven't even played Super Paper Mario either - but I felt it was something I would commit to and stick by, because I liked the idea of them moving in a new direction. However, it's a decision I already made; I understand if it came to me now and I hadn't prepared...well I don't know.

I've not been the best player of the mario RPGs. Whilst I played Legend of the Seven Stars quite young and before many games in the series; I never followed up. I couldn't afford PM64 at the time, nor convince my friend to lend it to me; I wasn't so aware of the handheld ones until it was too hard to get a hold of superstar saga - and resultantly only played PiT. However that was post playing TTYD, which was fantastic and I certainly did love. It was 7 stars that made me want to get it, and yes, it didn't let me down. However, there's been a lot in that vein(additionally I've now played Bowser's Inside Story, which I bought just because I wanted this so bad), and I wouldn't mind some change now really. I'll most likely blitz it pretty hard once I get it this week, and if I do I'll do my best to post up my own thoughts on it for you guys - hopefully staying impartial. It IS a brilliant series, and I can understand how sad it would be for it to let you down; possibly again from what I hear of SPM, so I'll do my best to let you know whether it's a bullet worth dodging or not.

We cry out all the time for new things, new innovation, now that they're doing it everyone's like 'oh, it's different, i dont like it, why can't it be the same!' PLUS not even giving it the chance.

Not all of us do, though. I personally think innovation can be bad as often as it's good. These days it's frequently used as an excuse to do something different just for the sake of it, rather than follow someone's vision of something genuinely different and good. For example, the upending the teatable, "Change what you've done" sort of philosophy.

It's not that Thousand Year Door is an unassailable classic, it's just that it was the last time Paper Mario was done to the "right" formula.

Personally, I am not hesitant about buying this. I will certainly buy it, but it's a little bit frustrating when you were expecting another RPG and you know some within Nintendo had the same instinct too, but were thwarted from above.

That's true. I wondered at times why it became such a 'paper mario' franchise despite SPM being far from what people expected. I think of them as mario rpgs; seven stars, paper mario, ttyd, superstar saga, pit, bowsers inside story - they're more like each other than spm and this probably are to the former rpgs of the series; so why not just try them in a new spin? I guess the name/theme helps largely towards these, though.

I am geting this game for £3.21 becuse I payed £29.78 with my Reward Points online

ME too! :bouncy: :bouncy:! Shame I'm gonna be getting this and tingle at the same time. Denpamen on thursday too!

I've run out of "Thanks", but that's brilliant! Gonna have to pick up this game, but like others I'm also getting Denpa Men on Thursday. Furthermore, I didn't exactly pick a good time to replay Etrian Odyssey (I'll defeat that Primevil this time!)

Ended up paying only £9 for this with my reward points from the Wii U :)

With this and Layton FREE my 3DS bases are covered for a while. It's a great time to be a Nintendo gamer!

Played this last month, the game is a thing of beauty :) , going to ask for it for christmas seems a perfect game to play then.

Ended up paying only £9 for this with my reward points from the Wii U :)

With this and Layton FREE my 3DS bases are covered for a while. It's a great time to be a Nintendo gamer!

Yeah I've been feeling a bit uncertain and concordantly bummed about the wii u as I don't have one, but tbh my 3DS still has so much going for it. Denpamen and this in the same week is brilliant, For me Tingle, though admittedly not 3DS, was just a handy icing on the top(poss still £8 at shopto for anyone interested)

Edited by Rummy

Yeah I've been feeling a bit uncertain and concordantly bummed about the wii u as I don't have one, but tbh my 3DS still has so much going for it. Denpamen and this in the same week is brilliant, For me Tingle was just a handy icing on the top(poss still £8 at shopto for anyone interested, though admittedly not stricly 3DS)

I'd like to see you're opinion on Tingle.

That game really puts your endurance to the test, but it's a nice and quirky title to have.

The short phrase 'talk to me' won't ever be the same to you, the first time you want to save.

Revive its thread when you're ready.

In the mean time, PAPER MARIO: STICKER STAR:yay:

I'd like to see you're opinion on Tingle.

That game really puts your endurance to the test, but it's a nice and quirky title to have.

The short phrase 'talk to me' won't ever be the same to you, the first time you want to save.

Revive its thread when you're ready.

In the mean time, PAPER MARIO: STICKER STAR:yay:

I've played a little before, then I got stuck/lost/gave up, and struggled to go back. I liked the concept though, it all(from what I recalled) revolved around something so simple but in such an...unsaid way. It's also not relevant but a few times recently I've chanced across the concept of 'one solution to many problems', apparently something Miyamoto touts; however it seems to be make a really strong mechanic/backbone for games.

I think I'll hold off on buying this just for a while once I get more of your opinions.

My exam weeks are coming up anyway.

I think I'll hold off on buying this just for a while once I get more of your opinions.

My exam weeks are coming up anyway.

I say hold off until you're totally done with your exams. Paper Mario seems like the perfect way to celebrate it :)

Btw, good luck!

My copy didn't arrive today even though I prepaid for it months ago.

What a bunch of crooks shopto are! ;)

You doing the yesteryear?

I want the sticker book, but I don't want to buy the game now...

Yes it does, but to get the stars you'll still have to complete the survey.

Hmmm, on second I may go digital with this too. I'll have to think about it.

Had about an hour on this so far, done a level or two - liking it so far! It's standard PM battle type gameplay, the stickers are interesting though so far I have yet to struggle to get them - if anything I have too many and don't know which ones to get rid of!

Madness! I did the same and it was shipped yesterday, did yours ship?

(woop, just accidentally found my first secret!)

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Sounds like prepaying with Shopto prolongs the processing of the order in some way, going on the trouble yesteryearsgames and Agent Gibbs had with the Wii U (trouble meaning delivered for launch day, hehe).

I've played about the same @Rummy and it's great. I've chuckled quite a bit already. The world map is quite nice too, but I can't pretend I don't wish this had more story...

Really in Paper Mario (and most Nintendo games) when we say 'story' we just mean some charming character details, imaginative levels and an interesting basic set-up. I thought the story in Mario Galaxy was handled really well in the classic Nintendo manner, suggesting just enough to give a sense of purpose and emotion, a feeling that the quest mattered and a spectacular finale. Miyamoto throwing out such minimal, elegant gestures in the sequel in favour of a perfunctory, slapdash intro that ignored all the magical happenings of the first game felt like a kick in the teeth to me, and made the game as a whole seem more like a glorified level pack.

This might have that 'just enough' Nintendo touch. I'm hoping so. After all, the story as such in the N64 game was very slight as well, but brimming over with charm. We don't ask for a tortuous overripe Final Fantasy affair when we want story in a Paper Mario game, something that bogs the game down, but that's what Miyamoto seems to think it is :hmm:

This isn't to pre-judge the game at all - just a few thoughts on the issue.