NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Not til 2013 now eh? Fucking joke and a half if you ask me, as said, they're royally fucking the 3DS right now and it pisses me off! Fans can't complain either cos they're meeting their promise of the holiday 2012...for the US. Seriously annoying.

Part of me would be relieved by a delay, as then I only have to buy Power of Illusion and Miracle Mask in addition to the WiiU and some great launch games before year's end. However, there's no getting away from the fact that this is a complete ballsup and a terrible underhanded way to 'announce' it, if true. As Grazza says, after a promised 2012 chockablock with great 3DS releases it's been very thin indeed. [Thank goodness for the Square Enix duo, which have both turned out to be loads of fun and much better than my impressions of the demos!]

NoE need to get their act together and release Hana Samurai, Denpa Men snd Harmoknight. Also, whatever happened to the 3D Classics? I was hoping we'd get Mega Man 2 for the anniversary.

It's only because I am geting the Pikachu 3DS XL and Wii U

Santa-Thumbs-Up-285x190.jpg

south_park_stan.jpg

bah-humbug-mature-senior-woman-no-christmas-spirit-thumb17605102.jpg

Edited by nekunando

Here's a few more details.

- when you defeat Bowser Jr., he whines and calls you a cheater

- he then rips out a bridge you need to cross and puts it on top of a hill

- clouds are held up by strings

- crepuscular rays are distinct pieces of golden paper alternating in gilded hues

- coin edges show off corrugated cardboard

- find all the Toads in Decalburg who are either hiding from Bowser, or stuck

- you have to peel them off walls

- hammer types: hammer, worn hammer, eekhammer, hurlhammer, slaphammer, baahammer

- each hammer has different effects

- baahammer puts enemies to sleep

- Bowser touches the Sticker Star, which grants him its power and turns him into a shiny foil sticker

- Toads are affixed to various surfaces by yellow and black Bowser-themed tape

- there are six Royal Stickers to find

- normal stickers, gold and silver stickers, and shiny crystalline stickers

- metallic stickers actually appear to reflect light differently as you move the 3DS around physically

- some enemies fold themselves into a sharp point to better attack Mario

- flip over cardboard puddles and find stuff hidden there

- sometimes flowers indicate the presence of a hidden block or a place to affix a sticker

- at the beginning, Surfshine Harbor and three worlds appear to be open to explore, 1-1 Warm Fuzzy Plains, 2-1 Drybake Desert, and 3-1 Leaflitter Path

- you'll be turned back in Worlds 2 and 3 by barricades, such as a giant and impassible sleeping Wiggler that won't wake up

- some levels have multiple exits like the games platformer counterparts

- World 1 includes recurring battles with Goomba soldiers across Boquet Gardens, Hither Thither Hill, and ends at the Bob-omb fortified Goomba Fortress

I know those aren't really major spoilers, but wouldn't it best to pop them into a spoiler tag? I'm excited for the game as ever, really really excited. Already pre-ordered it on ShopTo! However they have it listed for like November, and have their strange pre-order promise on delivery date guarantee...so what's going to happen? This will be brilliant for the Christmas times I think though, looking forward to it.

I know those aren't really major spoilers, but wouldn't it best to pop them into a spoiler tag? I'm excited for the game as ever, really really excited. Already pre-ordered it on ShopTo! However they have it listed for like November, and have their strange pre-order promise on delivery date guarantee...so what's going to happen? This will be brilliant for the Christmas times I think though, looking forward to it.

Their promise is to guarantee delivery on release date; it is released on 7 Dec and therefore you'll get it on 7th 5th Dec.

Ohh, I haven't read the finer points of the T&C, but the page itself mentions the dates; so I wasn't sure. I'm hoping this'll have at least 20 hours in it to keep me busy over the festive period.

Buy on launch or wait for Christmas? Hmmm...

Good question. I originally wanted it at launch, but I think I'll be far too busy with uni, any free time I get will probably go to the WiiU. So I may not get this till Christmas at the earliest.

Had a short go on this today and instantly fell in love. I didn't want to get through to much of the first chapter to avoid spoilers. No further persuasion was needed. It's Paper Mario, looks fab on the 3DS, the stickers and 'good deeds' are a nice shake-up to the over-familiar levelling and battling, and it's more papery than ever :D

Where did you manage to play it? Do you think the questing/good deeds system is going to be ok long-term? Want this game so baaad :(

It was at the Play Expo in Manchester.

I can't honestly say from my quick go how it will pan out over the whole game. I suppose it might depend on how much of a 'traditionalist' you are and how attached you've become to the traditional levelling system. I was a bit miffed in my first battle because I had to flee due to having only one attack sticker (I picked up following on from someone else's play session rather than starting over) and it was hard to gauge how plentiful they would be in the environment. It seems like it'll be an easier way in for new players but just as strategic and managerial later on. It's really just a new spin on the old system.

The humour and charm is all there and it looks like it was always meant to be on the 3DS.

Sounds good! How long did you get to go on it for? I'm almost contemplating going to MCM at the end of the month just to hope I might get to see/play this. Christmas gem methinks!

If it's anything like the demo I tried I think you can play through the whole first chapter or until a rep tells you to finish up. I kept it short though for spoiler reasons. If you're within easy distance definitely go, I had a great time! Seems like MCM will have more stuff. One thing that shocked me a little at Play, especially considering the recent marketing push in the UK, was no Vita presence.

The humour and charm is all there and it looks like it was always meant to be on the 3DS.

Hmm, a very interesting point. Has anyone noticed how many series are seeming at home on the 3DS now we have a handheld roughly as good as the GameCube? There's this and Animal Crossing, just to name two.

Can't wait for this, by the way. A must-buy!

Hmm, a very interesting point. Has anyone noticed how many series are seeming at home on the 3DS now we have a handheld roughly as good as the GameCube? There's this and Animal Crossing, just to name two.

Can't wait for this, by the way. A must-buy!

Luigi's Mansion as well!

Yep, Luigi's Mansion is perfectly at home, graphically, although I do wonder if the lack of dual-analogue will be slightly detrimental. Not enough to stop me buying it though! :)