NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

I wish we had a dislike button. :heh:

Bear in mind SPM is the only Paper Mario I've ever played. I just thought it was really fun, and as I'm not a big fan of RPGs (Zelda apart) I liked the platforming element and the storyline was fun and surprisingly deep. IMO :)

No leveling up from battles? Not sure how I feel about that.

Did someone say no party members either? Definitely not sure how I feel about that.

Bear in mind SPM is the only Paper Mario I've ever played. I just thought it was really fun, and as I'm not a big fan of RPGs (Zelda apart) I liked the platforming element and the storyline was fun and surprisingly deep. IMO :)

You've missed out! :P Though I never managed to get my hands on super paper mario and see what it was like, I obviously heard it wasn't quite in the series's RPG style. However the charm of all the Mario RPGs isn't just in it's slightly quirky RPG nature(turn based action affected by player interaction at the right points), but the overall style; it's bright, vibrant, full of character, well written, light-hearted and resultantly quite humorous in places. Sure you've heard it all before, but they truly are fantastic games. Usually nice amounts of hidden bits and bobs too, if you look hard enough.

Watched the Sticker Star bit of the 3DS conference, actually think I might like the direction they've taken. Really liked the guy who presented it and the approach he took.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/06/e3_2012_nintendos_3ds_software_showcase_live

From about 23min-35min for anyone who wants to watch it.

Anyone play the Mega Man Battle Network or Star Force games? The sticker thing reminds me of the chip/card system from those games, I think I might actually pick this up now. I was worried this game would just be a inferior version of Mario & Luigi like the first 2 are but now it looks interesting with the new battle system. Here's hoping they introduce new party members instead of having a Goomba, a Koopa and a Bob-omb...

Well well, this is all mightily interesting so far!

Ditching the experience point system entirely is a very interesting and risky move here. I appreciate that it allows them to scatter these powerups and things throughout the world and opens up a new means of sidequests (not unlike Zelda), but I do hope that it doesn't mean that the battles become boring as a result.

I suppose it's not even apt to call it an RPG at all anymore if it lacks the elements that make up an RPG! I guess it's an action adventure game now! (Though I bet you get stickers from battling enemies)

I wonder if you still have the badges as well? (being permanent additions to your abilities and arsenal, while the stickers are temporary battle commands)

Either way, the dialogue is still clearly first class NOA Treehouse stuff (LMAO @ that Toad's dialogue 01laugh.gif )

Is there a video without him talking? I wanna properly listen to the music.

Music is great! :D

I haven't played an entry in this series before, I think this'll be a great place for me to start especially if they're shaking up the gameplay a bit for this one.

Here's hoping this is the game to get me enjoying Mario again; I've become a bit bored of the little plumber lately!

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm so happy I could cry.

I saw dialogue.

I saw quirkiness.

I saw stickers.

And we haven't even seen a lot of this game.

Paper Mario games are really meant to played and read, instead of looking at them through a trailer.

I'm sure this'll be one hell of an adventure once again :D

It doesn't have an EXP system? That's a bit of a surprise. It won't change whether I buy it or not (definitely going to buy it), but I don't know if it'll work as well as the proper RPGs. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

I quite like the idea of no XP, if it keeps things fresh. This is definitely my most anticipated portable title of the year at the moment.

I like the idea of them mixing things up, it's a big jump/risk but tbh it is probably something that needs to be done with current video game franchises.

Anyhow, Sticker Star seems to have all the elements that would make a paper mario/mario rpg game. And I love that it has more exploration to it with the whole sticker thing given what I said earlier(I love secrets in games, I think games need more secrets!). Tbh, the more and more I think about this, the more I want it. Excellently demonstrated too, through playing instead of a video, as Fused said. Not sure how it'll be without battle XP, but they appear to have tried to keep the battle system similar and interesting, left battles as still important, and also hopefully means no need for grinding anywhere. They've said it'll still have rpg elements, I guess I'm either secretly hoping it'll still have levelling and choices etc that boost as you go through.

(@Fused King, I thought you were nando for some reason, did you steal an avatar?)

Edited by Rummy

Oh godddd, this game is almost all I can think about right now. Why does it have to wait until holiday 2012 dammit! I guess now I know how it feels to be @Fused_King. I want more info, I NEED more info. I...I need this. At first I was all like 'omg that sounds crap' but now it has crept into my SOUL and it won't leave it alone! :(

Heh. The abbrieviation of this title is PMSS....

It looks great. At first I was like, "Haven't they used stickers before" but then I realised it was badges they used. And then they showed the battle system, which looks nice. This and Luigi's Mansion will be my 3DS-purchases of 2012.

Yes, @Rummy, yes!

GIVE IN TO YOUR CRAVINGS.

I'm sooooooo longing for the humour in a Paper Mario/Mario&Luigi game again :D

It's not just humour, it sells it short! It's a whole raft of charm! From the style, the characters, the story, the silent protagonist, AND the humour. The enemies, the twists on the old, it's...MASTERFUL CHARM OF A THOUSAND GENERATIONS!

My favourite thing about all the Mario RPGs is how Mario is a celebrity, as much as he is in the real world. Everyone knows who he is. And I like how they always treat Luigi bad like "that other green one".

The characterisation of Bowser is also amazing, I hope he's in this and gets some good scenes.

I like to think of all the Mario RPGs as the best and most "canon" representation of what the Mushroom Kingdom is actually like to live in. Every single shop, NPC and task is filled with so much charm.

I hope Kammy Koopa will make a triumphant return. There were a lot of things wrong with Super Paper Mario, but the lack of Kammy was one of the biggest flaws. :blank:

Edited by Magnus

God I can't wait for this game!

Are partners returning? I haven't heard any news or seen any images related to partners.

Tbh they haven't revealed very much, and I haven't found much about the game except what's been shown either. Need to look and see if people have had hands on. Still totally in love, so much so I'm actually in process of re-watching the showcase bit!

Apparently they didn't have it on the show floor, hence the lack of hands-on impressions.

I remember playing Thousand Year Door. It was just a game on my game pile of many, thinking it just another "meh game", then one day I though "sod it" and put it in. Needless to say, the Paper Mario games became one of my favourite series and my bro immediately started playing his own game alongside mine. Love the DS RPG versions too. I haven't fully played the N64/SNES games though, despite owning them. I suppose I eventually will.

The August Official Nintendo Magazine has a 2 page preview of Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Weirdly it says "This is how you'll earn items and experience to level up, by scouring the environment and solving people's problems rather than scrapping".

The August Official Nintendo Magazine has a 2 page preview of Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Weirdly it says "This is how you'll earn items and experience to level up, by scouring the environment and solving people's problems rather than scrapping".

What's weird about it? Isn't that fairly known?

Every time I see a new post here I hope it's a post about release date :(