NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Yeah, sorry, I've only just read back through the thread. I should have done that first. It was just a bit of a surprise when I read it.

Edited by V. Amoleo

What's weird about it? Isn't that fairly known?

Every time I see a new post here I hope it's a post about release date :(

I get the impression this game might be fairly boring and slow

Well, you haven't played any of the real Paper Mario games, so you don't know what you're talking about. ;)

Every time I see a new post here I hope it's a post about release date :(

Didn't they say it'll be out this holiday season? So even if they did announce a release date, the game would still be months away.

Well, you haven't played any of the real Paper Mario games, so you don't know what you're talking about. ;)

Didn't they say it'll be out this holiday season? So even if they did announce a release date, the game would still be months away.

I know, but I want to stand in the road and see the bus coming just so I can feel relaxed about when it'll actually arrive.

Yeah, sorry, I've only just read back through the thread. I should have done that first. It was just a bit of a surprise when I read it.

I get the impression this game might be fairly boring and slow

The only thing I'll say to you both, is to watch this 10-minute gameplay/dev video from teh 3ds showcase before making judgements.

Only annoying thing is that it's not quite as good quality as the original so you can't make out a few bits, but it's what got me really excited for the game.

Thanks, @Rummy. I suspect it being Friday night had a factor in me forgetting that I'd actually already seen that trailer :D It's looking really interesting and no worse for not having a traditional battle/xp system.

Thanks, @Rummy. I suspect it being Friday night had a factor in me forgetting that I'd actually already seen that trailer :D It's looking really interesting and no worse for not having a traditional battle/xp system.

Well, there's the catch 22 with video games now. People wanting something new/different, yet at the same time still wanting it from the same things. You take a risk to change something, and it could possibly bomb and alienate people.

Personally, I actually welcome this change to this series; number 1 reason being that there's no need to 'grind' per so hopefully(not that there's ever really been that need in Mario RPGs, but I'm sure I've had bits where I wasn't up to scratch with the area and had to train a bit more). However given that battles yield coins and stickers, the mainstay of the game, it should actually still be very necessary.

Next up, the Mario RPGs have always had charm oozing from it. For me, encouraging more exploration, world/character interaction and discovering of secrets is a good thing. The fact it'll have so much stuff hidden and you can miss it, that makes me very happy in some ways. I've always liked secrets in games, I'm a massively huge fan of them, and I think it can only be good. Essentially, forcing us to explore the entire world of a series whose worlds seem to generally have charm tucked in every corner is the best thing they could do. The biggest challenge is just ensuring they keep the quality of it up and fill the world appropriately.

It's a shame that Square Enix won't team up with Nintendo and make a sequel to Super Mario RPG. Always preferred it to Paper Mario if I'm honest.

Aaah, yes!

I remember all those little sidequests one could do in The Thousand Year Door with one of the finest involving a female toad who's totally crazy about Luigi.

You had to put on your Luigi suit and she'd go all crazy about you, but then the REAL Luigi walked by and she would scoff at him saying that he's an imposter:laughing:

Great stuff, so a game revolving around stuff like that. . . HELLS YEAH!

Looking mighty excellent! The 3DS really is a perfect fit for such a game and the Paper-series hasn't disappointed yet (although... Super Paper Mario?). I think it's on-par with the Mario&Luigi-series.

So many games... So many games...

That said, Nintendi is getting creepy: The Legend of Zelda: SS, Paper Mario: SS... Something Evil is-a-brewing?

Edited by Strange Cookie

Dammit Fused, I thought you were bringing me news! He does look rather nice and papery though :)

Getting excited having been blitzing Inside Story, there's lots of little bits in that which I've enjoyed despite rushing through a fair bit, this surely cannot disappoint!

The 3DS certainly has very good graphics; arguably the "effects" it can do are much more impressive than the raw processing power, making it very similar to the SNES and GameCube. I think that's its defining feature, actually, much more so than the 3D.

Bit confused as to the 'Beckoning/Welcoming Cat' aspect, as that's quite a Japanese thing (although known around the world, but not really in the mainstream). Wonder if that will just be a feature in the Japanese version?

Doubt they'd drop it out, plus I'd say it's slightly know(over here at least, thanks to chiineeseseseses mmm!) but enough of that. WHERES MY GODDAMN RELEASE DATE?!

Don't get why the would remove it either, it's just an attack as far as I can tell unless it has another use like the fan but I think most people will know or they will right the script to make it more obvious or something.

An RPG mario bad? When has that ever happened?

Well, Super Paper Mario was the latest entry in the console series and it was extremely average. There are similar "non-RPG" elements to this one too, so it could really go either way.

Ugh, I hope they know what they're doing with this one...

I don't want another mess of a game like Super Paper Mario.

Few new things there which look good, only other thing it needs is a FLIPPIN' RELEASE DATE FOR US ARRRGHGH.

What do folks think of it having an overworld map?

Right, let's get one thing straight for my opinion is law in this thread: Super Paper Mario was only flawed because of its battle-system and the whole 2D->3D aspects got a little stale after a while.

But both the story, music, characters and visuals are the best in the series to date and there's so much different vibes and ideas thrown in there because of the dimensions, that it's just downright AWESOME!

Go ahead. Play it again and don't pay much attention to the battle-system (Which could be quite amusing at times though). You'll be amazed at the fact that a game can leave a tasty taste in your mouth!

At first I didn't like it, because Miyamoto seems to want it in every Mario game these days, but it's not all that bad.

The only difference from the previous games is that you can now use the classic map instead of hopping into a pipe or walking to the end of a screen to get to the next area.

I'm all for it as long as it doesn't affect how the game is built up. If it's just a shortcut, fine. If it means the areas aren't linked up properly, then that's bad.