NEurope
Retro_Link

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Anyone know if it's possible to disable the auto-save on this? I'm not a fan of it having to save every single time I visit a different area. :shakehead

Not that I know of...

BTW: I've just finished the second world (after spending ages running around trying to find the damn tablet pieces and doing some of world 3's levels first)

OMG LOL @ the Murials in the Stadium! Mural Toad is best Toad :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

Can all stadium pieces be found in the desert? Only found one piece and that was it. Am now simultaneously stuck in world 2, 4 and 5 :p

Can all stadium pieces be found in the desert? Only found one piece and that was it. Am now simultaneously stuck in world 2, 4 and 5 :p

They're all there, though for one of them you will need to venture elsewhere...

Yoshi Sphinx, World 2-1 (follow the hint given in the World 2-4, the sandstorm stage) and World 2-4 itself (You will need to go to Sunshine Harbour first and find the Vacuum Cleaner there first though!)

Yeah they took me forever to find. Thought they were in World 3!

Edited by Dcubed

Just got up to this part... LOL!

IMG_0154_zps4b4724dc.jpg

This part just cracks me up! I love his little disappointed face lol! :laughing:

I'm up to the snow area now...

...LOL @ the scene with Birdo.

:laughing:

...more weird stuff like that in your games please, Nintendo. icon14.gif

Despite the occasional funnies, this game still hasn't really clicked with me yet. The boss battles in particular are really strange in their design, it's as if you have to fail in order to learn how to defeat a boss. Not really digging this idea of attacking a weak point, or a specific "thing" sticker at a specific time. :blank:

I just end up using loads of stickers instead. ::shrug:

Beat the game yesterday. Final boss was pretty tough. If people thought the normal bosses are bad for knowing what weakness they have, wait until you fight this guy.

Favorite stage was 4-3.

In particular the Disco Boos battle! But it was a fun stage all round, and nice change of pace, kinda. Stage made me really want to play Luigi's Mansion.

Got just under 25 hours playtime, and I didn't fill the museum or complete all the challenges. Might go back some day and finish them off. Some will be a pain, never got quite got the hang of the spin roulette.

It's a good game, part of me thinks it shouldn't be compared to the previous Paper Mario games though. I don't get why people are so hung up on having companions, I don't think it's important myself, etc. Did however get stuck a lot, the game doesn't explain what to do next "I wonder where the next item is" is not a good piece of advice. Listened to the recent Official Nintendo Magazine podcast and they got stuck at the same point I did.

One of the things I did like was how the game let you basically go wherever you want although you would end up stuck a lot of the time because you need a certain sticker but if I got stuck I just went to a different world.

Certainly has a lot of humor, the Toads are very funny. Also read the sticker descriptions in the museum, there's some great stuff in there.

Hope Nintendo releases the soundtrack in some form because it's excellent. Wish we got that instead of a sticker book. Find it funny they went out of their way to point it out in that survey they sent out.

I agree about the boss battles(another post got between while typing). Not my favourite part of the game. Haven't really progressed much since my last post. Used the tip I got above to complete world 2 but still stuck on 4 and 5. Torn between checking Gamefaqs or go through several hours of frustration to find the answer.

I've played this game for almost 10 hours now, but only just realised that the glistening effect of shiny stickers on the touch screen is linked to the 3DS gyroscope. :blush:

Awesome little detail. :awesome:

I've played this game for almost 10 hours now, but only just realised that the glistening effect of shiny stickers on the touch screen is linked to the 3DS gyroscope. :blush:

If you give the 3DS a little jolt while you're in a battle, you can make the health meter rock from side to side too :)

This game is filled with loads of awesome little touches :D

I completed it without even noticing!:red:

Did however get stuck a lot, the game doesn't explain what to do next "I wonder where the next item is" is not a good piece of advice. Listened to the recent Official Nintendo Magazine podcast and they got stuck at the same point I did.

What is really bizarre about this is that most Nintendo adventure games (including previous Paper Mario games if I'm not mistaken) have a soothsayer or the like, where you can pay a few coins and get a hint on what to do or where to go next.

Maybe they forgot to put one in.

Man, I can't fucking wait to finally buy this after my exams are over.

All these comments from you guys has got me so damn curious!

I really want to pick this up soon too.

I'm currently playing NSMB2 and once that's completed I am all over this. :)

If people thought the normal bosses are bad for knowing what weakness they have, wait until you fight this guy.
Great. :indeed:

Favorite stage was 4-3.

In particular the Disco Boos battle! But it was a fun stage all round, and nice change of pace, kinda. Stage made me really want to play Luigi's Mansion.

Just did that stage, I also loved that part you mentioned. :bouncy:

Another thing that was awesome about W4-3, is that they even included a reference to...

...Resident Evil with the Stapler jumping through the window! :laughing:

Great stage, but I think my favourite is still...

...the game show one. I love those kind of stages in video games. :D

It's a good game, part of me thinks it shouldn't be compared to the previous Paper Mario games though. I don't get why people are so hung up on having companions, I don't think it's important myself, etc. Did however get stuck a lot, the game doesn't explain what to do next "I wonder where the next item is" is not a good piece of advice.
Yeah, overall it's very different to the other Paper Mario games. As for the lack of advice, I hear ya. Man, it can be so frustrating at times. :angry: There have even been a few occasions were I haven't been able to progress and thought that my game had glitched! And on some of those occasions, even checking out a guide didn't help, it just became a case of endlessly searching different stages until I stumbled upon the solution. :hmm:

Hope Nintendo releases the soundtrack in some form because it's excellent. Wish we got that instead of a sticker book. Find it funny they went out of their way to point it out in that survey they sent out.
Hehehe, reading about it on that survey was actually what tipped me over the edge to buy the game! ;) Yeah, the soundtrack is indeed awesome. Love how there are some remixes of uncommon Mario tunes every so often too. icon14.gif

Hehehe, reading about it on that survey was actually what tipped me over the edge to buy the game! ;) Yeah, the soundtrack is indeed awesome. Love how there are some remixes of uncommon Mario tunes every so often too. icon14.gif

Yeah, I just finished W3-10 myself. The remix in that stage is rrrrreeeaaaallllyyy subtle :)

The SMB3 card game music for the Hit it or Snifit game!

Great. :indeed:

You'll need a few specific thing stickers to make the battle easier. It's a long battle so you can't just go all out on it.

Just did that stage, I also loved that part you mentioned. :bouncy:

Another thing that was awesome about W4-3, is that they even included a reference to...

...Resident Evil with the Stapler jumping through the window!

:laughing:

Great stage

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Other highlights include:

100 Boo stack, glad I had the infinity jump for that one ;).

The boo in the picture.

The Toad outside. Amused me anyway.

Cake!

Seems like they packed a lot of ideas in a single stage.

, but I think my favourite is still...

...the game show one. I love those kind of stages in video games. :D

Also a favorite stage of mine.

After the credits roll if you leave it on the screen for a bit you get a hidden song. Nice little extra there.

As a general hint, you might want to revisit the world 3 stages after you beat the boss. You can get a few powerups from there that you might miss like I did.

I started playing this last night and have reached the 1-6 without any problems so far. I have to say that i'm a bit meh about the whole game at the moment. What's the point of battling when you don't get experience? I mean I got so bored of it I just started running past the enemies and still got to where I am with 700+ coins in the bank and a full sticker book.

It's still early days but it's failing to grip me like the Mario & Luigi games or the first 2 Paper Mario games did.

I started playing this last night and have reached the 1-6 without any problems so far. I have to say that i'm a bit meh about the whole game at the moment. What's the point of battling when you don't get experience? I mean I got so bored of it I just started running past the enemies and still got to where I am with 700+ coins in the bank and a full sticker book.

It's still early days but it's failing to grip me like the Mario & Luigi games or the first 2 Paper Mario games did.

Got to agree there. It's a solid game, no questioning that but like you say, the lack of levelling up makes battling a bit pointless and more of a chore.

It does get better though and pulls you in with its charm and humour. Just finished world 2, though I got stuck halfway through and finished world 3 first.

Currently looking for

The wheel for the boat. No idea where to look, don't want to resort to a guide just yet.

The game design harks back to the old days of having to look everywhere to find something rather than being pointed in the right direction. Weird how we complained about Zelda holding your hand too much in recent iterations, but then we complain when we get a game like this

LOVING this game, they couldn't have crammed any more Nintendo charm if they tried. Only started playing it yesterday and I've done all the levels of world 1. I'm trying to go slowly but I can't put it down for long!

Is the game quite short? Or a decent length?

LOVING this game, they couldn't have crammed any more Nintendo charm if they tried. Only started playing it yesterday and I've done all the levels of world 1. I'm trying to go slowly but I can't put it down for long!

Is the game quite short? Or a decent length?

completed it in 22 hours myself, on about 24 now trying to get 100%, so a decent chunk for a handheld game!Mainly played in 50 minute bursts on the tube, just so you know...

Have to say this ranks with Mario 3D Land as my favourite 3DS game, really really enjoyed it felt it was more than a match for the 64 and cube versions, hope you continue to enjoy! :)

Saved myself some frustration and checked gamefaqs when I got stuck three-four times more. Considering one or two of them I'm glad I did. Up to the final boss. After several though long battles I finally got to the last battle, but realized the inevitable and accepted my death^^' Now that I know all the battles, I can better decide to use which items when, and see if I can time the hammer attacks better to get the most out of them. I always get nice and haven't really bothered to practice for anything better with hammers.

I had no interest to pick this game up at all but since my brohter got it me for Christmas, I've been chipping away at it and whilst it's not bad I'd be reluctant to give it a recommendation either.

The battle system is a beat weak and ultimately it does feel a bit pointless. If you are going to need to use more than one sticker in the fight, you might as well not bother as you will need to either use a high powered sticker and get the timing right to hopefully finish them off in one turn (in which case you might as well save the good sticker) or you have to pay for the battle spinner and use way more coins than you will get back from winning. I also object to their use of "perfect" as what they mean is defeat all enemies on turn one - even if you take no damage, going to a second round in a fight robs you of the bonus coins. And the fact you have to hit enemies in order narrows the tacticle scope (which is already pretty limited) as you can't pick off the dangerous/most annoying enemies first or those offering support for the party. I've taken to avoiding a lot of fights now but I still have over 7000 coins.

I wasn't too sure how to "properly" beat the boss in world 3 as Kersti didn't want to utter a word so I just got a bunch of heavy hitter stickers and blunt forced trauma'd the thing. Then she moaned at me after the battle for wasting stickers. I wonder if she will ever prove useful as her "tips" are next to useless - she seems to just remind you of what it is you need to do rather than give you any assistance in actually doing it.

I've done world 1, 2 and 3 but have yet to leave the shore as there is still something stopping me - knowing me, I've walked past the thing I need a ton of times and just not noticed. I did get a little stuck part way in world 3 and had to look something up - personally, invisible blocks that serve as necessary platforms for progression ranks right up there along with solid walls that can be walked through on the on the all time list of cheap gaming mechanics. I'd be lying if I said it was also clear what sticker needed to be used where or what some stickers even do. They really should have included some soft reset mechanic as I don't want to use a sticker to find out what it does and they have to traipse around looking for it again - it's quicker just to reset... or in this case, exit the game entirely and they load it up again.

What do the colours on the "thing" item list menu mean - some are blue, some pink, some orange, etc Do they relate to what type of elemental damage they do? The digital manual does explain why they are that colour.

I've never played a Paper Mario game, so I can only compare it to the Mario and Luigi games but the writing doesn't seem a patch on them. I've smiled a couple of times from the writing but not much more - the stuff in level 3-10, as others have mentioned, was good and I also took a liking to the ParaTroopers in the desert area but not much else. It feels like it's trying too hard to be "kooky" and "different" at times, such as with some of the sticker descriptions in the museum. The M&L games also feel like that at times but they get it right so much more that it's easier to forgive.

All that said, I don't hate the game but it does feel like a missed opportunity in so many areas and I can see why the reviews have been all over the place. I'm having most fun when I can just wander around the levels hammering and jumping over obstacles, whilst avoiding fights (or defeating them on the field), and then it's good fun. So basically, I like it best when it's giving me the 3D platformer experience and then it starts to go downhill when it veers away from that into adventure territory - I'd be hestitant to classify it as an RPG anyway.

22 hours sounds good, I was worried it would be quite short. The levels are nice and long too. Reminds me of Mario 3D Land in terms of the platforming, and that's a very good thing.

Also it doesn't seem anywhere near as text heavy as Super Paper Mario, where it was ridiculous how much characters waffled on pointlessly.

The bit where the scenery tips over like dominoes to retro Mario tunes had me grinning for ages. Fantastic!