NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

She completely made the characters unbalanced. I mean who on earth would want to be diddy, I know he was faster but in a game like DKC where you take almost every step with caution, speed isn't what you need. If anything you need to slow down and dixie slowed your jumps.

In sonic it's different, tails never really gave you an advantage. Sonic never really required precise jumping moves, flying with tails REALLY slowed down the game and nobody wanted that. Tails was handy for getting to bonus areas or unreachable ledges.

I have no problem with the character itself, Hurrah a female character but problem is she was too good.

I fail to see how Dixie's move set unbalanced the other characters. Although it probably depends which way you look at it. In DKC2 (a harder game than the original) Dixie ensured certain levels were easier (thinking back to the lava balloon levels). This was clever game design IMO. Diddy did have his benefits for one being able to roll further and take out multiple enemies without the pause that dixie has after spinning.

Furthermore, in DKC3, Dixie provides a great contrast to the sloth like Kiddy. If the character was poor I don't think Rare (who were at their peak here) would have given her another outing after DKC2.

Sure, her hair move allows the player more time to both line up platforms and land on enemies but I'd hardly state that she unbalanced the other characters. If that was the case we would all have just played through 2 & 3 as Dixie. Personally that was never the case for me. Both Diddy and Kiddy were awesome and the clever folk at Rare made you use all of the characters strengths and weaknesses to reach bonus barrels whilst also making it possible for both characters to complete levels on a somewhat equal footing. Game design at its best.

In the end I guess it all comes down to what you prefer, a somewhat accessible 2D platformer which allows gamers to play through levels somewhat strategically and at their own pace (which Dixie allowed more) or, for those looking to do a Sonic and fly through their 2D game, take on Diddy, DK or Kiddy (enabling the roll on water move ftw).

Either way a return to the DK and Diddy partnership is pretty cool. Nice to see some partnership moves in there too. The piggybacking was awesome.

Edited by tapedeck

I fail to see how Dixie's move set unbalanced the other characters. Although it probably depends which way you look at it. In DKC2 (a harder game than the original) Dixie ensured certain levels were easier (thinking back to the lava balloon levels). This was clever game design IMO. Diddy did have his benefits for one being able to roll further and take out multiple enemies without the pause that dixie has after spinning.

When you were playing with your friends did you used to fight over how would be dixie? :)

We sure did. Like NOOB saibot in mortal kombat 3( cheap ass bitch!!)

I don't think dixie was a bad character at all, I just think her special move was a tad bit questionable. Sometimes you could skip an entire level just by getting up to a high platform and doing her hair spinning move to the end. It reminds me of a powerup in a mario title ( like the raccoon tail or helicopter) but unlimited and there from the beginning.

Most of the times in the game( especially the harder parts) you would most certainly rather be dixie, I know she was worse for combat but seriously lining up your jumps is a lot harder than jumping on an enemy or spinning it. This game's challenge ( especially in the lava levels as you mentioned) is it's constant death pits and if you fall down one of them you BOTH DIE.

Yes if you get hit by an enemy ONE of you dies and you'll probably get another DK barrel shortly anyway but if diddy mis-times a jump, you lose a life!

I just prefer the Mario vs Luigi way of 2d platformers. Both handled slightly differently. None better than the other, but I suppose it's diddy and dixie's special moves in this that give them personality rather than just a different colour.

Just my opinion on it:) ( i'm speaking from the dk2 point of view by the way I haven't played DK3 in about 5 years)

Best Wii announcement of the show for me, I just hope the game has plenty of longetivity.

Was wondering if anyone has played the New Play Control version of Jungle Beat. I have the Gamecube version, but I was wondeing if the Wii version plays more like a traditional platformer (D-pad for movement, '2' for jump, shake of the Wii remote to attack etc) and if this makes it better and also less tiring to play? Tempted to try the Wii version sometime over the Summer now due to this announcement :heh: Also, doesn't it include 2 or 3 new stages?

Edited by welsh_gamer

I've never played a DKC game.

I was going to save my Wii Points for WiiWare...

But screw the delays of Nicalis' gems (for now), I'm buying DKC. Very soon.

I've never played a DKC game.

I was going to save my Wii Points for WiiWare...

But screw the delays of Nicalis' gems (for now), I'm buying DKC. Very soon.

Use those wii points to download DKC 1 2 or 3!

Use those wii points to download DKC 1 2 AND 3!

Corrected :D

Is there known if this game will features animals to ride or to turn into like the other games (well the turning into wasn't in DKC1 but there were still animals to ride).

I didn't see any scenes like this in the video shown. Only diddy riding on DK.

Agreed! Hopefully they make good use of that mechanic and hopefully the game can be played at a good pace like the other DKC games.

From the video footage i've watched, looks like they're focusing on the smooth continuous flow :)

Speaking of which, did you ever compare DKC3 SNES to GBA for flowing gameplay? I remember noticing it in the levels with Ellie and the waterfall lifts/barrels, where you had to sometimes stop & wait on the original.

There there, DK, at least Rare can't hurt you any more. This and Goldeneye were like a double kick in the 'nads for them.

First thing, I hope they change the title.

DK64... need I say any more? :blank:

DK64 was sexy, granted it didn't match up to Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie but was still a decent title.

I was convinced the trailer was building to some Rambi action, but it didn't :(

Same here, I was gagging for some Engarde action.

I disagree...

It was refreshing to see a female character back then and the hair twirl opened up a ton of secret rooms and was possibly used far better than something like Tails' flying from Sonic. I wouldn't call it cheap, it was innovative if anything.

This discussion is just throwing back memories of Princess Toadstool in Mario 2 on the NES with her floating powers. Christ that was Awesome back then.

Sometimes you could skip an entire level just by getting up to a high platform and doing her hair spinning move to the end. It reminds me of a powerup in a mario title ( like the raccoon tail or helicopter) but unlimited and there from the beginning.

You will call it the P-Wing and bloody ENJOY IT!

:blank:

Love you really.

Same here, I was gagging for some Engarde action.

Have they said anything about those animals (Engarde, a.s.o) being in or not being in the game?

I hope they will be in the game but just weren't in the trailer.

Well, even without them I still think I am gonna enjoy the game but still...

I'm hoping theres an option for using the classic controller with this.

Dickhead in the video talking to Retro's guy...

'Yeah from a core game to a kids game, you know'

'Umm... I'm not sure that it's a kids game'

... I'm glad he couldn't make it through the level! Cause now he sucks at a "kids game" ;)

Iwata Ask Interviews.

IGN interviews Retro.

IGN: Donkey Kong Country wasn't just a technical marvel in the visual sense back on the Super Nintendo, but it also had an incredible soundtrack. I think a lot of people are wondering what's going on there. Have you approached any ex-Rare employees like David Wise to maybe supply the soundtrack for the game?

Tanabe: Just to let you know, there is no collaboration going on with Rare. Obviously.

From the very beginning, there was a very strong desire on Mr. Miyamoto's part to offer up those original songs. Those original melodies. So those are the core of the music for this brand-new Donkey Kong Country.

Retro: Just an interesting note, the same composer that did all the Metroid Prime stuff is working with Nintendo's composer on the NCL side, Mr. Yamamoto. We have a long relationship with him, and the goal was to use the familiar melodies but bring them into a more contemporary sound. We didn't want it any other way. How do you have DKC without that soundtrack? So we updated it, using the staff we've used with all the other games we've worked on.

IGN: So is it a reboot of the franchise, or a continuation of the franchise? Is it the same kind of story where K. Rool is trying to steal all of the bananas? What's the scenario?

Retro: Mr. Miyamoto's guidance was, "You are making a better DKC." It's a new game. Everything that people liked about DKC we're taking and doing the very best we can to improve on them.

IGN: On a technical level, a lot of people look at the original Super Nintendo version and see all that pre-rendered stuff. And I guess you had to match that on the Wii. But as the games progressed on the SNES, they were able to take advantage of more technology to render fur textures and things like that. What, in the Wii version, were you able to do on a technical level? Could you match what Rare did, pre-render-wise? In real time, could you mirror closely to what Rare achieved through pre-rendering on the Super Nintendo?

Retro: I don't think we tried. I think we're very competent art-wise, so I don't think we ever looked back and said "Well, Rare did this, so we better do this." Artistically, we were more concerned about animation -- and meeting Mr. Miyamoto's expectation in regards to animation. We never really took art and applied it to what had been done in the past. That whole ACM rendering technology was such a departure and such a refreshing thing to see at the time, I just don't think that today -- that we know of -- such a huge departure from DKC exists that we could apply to DKCR right now. So we didn't make any comparisons. We're very confident in our art team, and we think they did a good job.

If you haven't yet watched the attract loop, I recommend you do. Because there's some unique things in it that you won't be able to play, but you might enjoy.

IGN: So it's just been constant work up to this point?

Retro: Yeah, from an engineering standpoint we had to take about six months at least of saying we're not going to do anything but re-tool, because we can't work in this environment. Even though that sounds like a long time, when you're talking about a new engine and new animation and everything else we've had to do, we've been able to create a lot of content in a short amount of time. So it's taken a lot of effort. Not to mention the fact that you have an art team that's been working in a genre that defines sci-fi, high quality in every little pixel, and we have to re-train them to make a DKC style game. And that took a little time too. Some of the first prototype artwork stuff was like, "This palm tree looks like a Metroid palm tree." (laughs)

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

Have they said anything about those animals (Engarde, a.s.o) being in or not being in the game?

I hope they will be in the game but just weren't in the trailer.

Well, even without them I still think I am gonna enjoy the game but still...

I've not heard anything, but they've got to be.

So I followed up on my word and bought Donkey Kong Country today.

Really enjoying it so far. I love how it just flows really well, especially for a 16 year old game. I think I'm going to have to buy a CC Pro at some point; it's yet another one of those VC games that works pretty awkwardly on a GCN pad in terms of running/jumping.

One thing I will say, I'm very glad games of today are a lot more forgiving in terms of saving opportunities. I keep getting game over after losing so many lives on the mine cart level, then getting thrown back to the first save point in the previous area... I don't foresee me completing this game very quickly.

Edited by D_prOdigy

So I followed up on my word and bought Donkey Kong Country today.

Really enjoying it so far. I love how it just flows really well, especially for a 16 year old game. I think I'm going to have to buy a CC Pro at some point; it's yet another one of those VC games that works pretty awkwardly on a GCN pad in terms of running/jumping.

One thing I will say, I'm very glad games of today are a lot more forgiving in terms of saving opportunities. I keep getting game over after losing so many lives on the mine cart level, then getting thrown back to the first save point in the previous area... I don't foresee me completing this game very quickly.

Dude, that thing is unplayable on a GC pad and that applies to most SNES games, get some form of classic controller as soon as you can.

And the mine cart level is awesome once you get the hang of it. It just flows really well.

This looks fantastic, I'm definitely going to buy this. I used to love the Donkey Kong games for the SNES, oh Nintendo how I love you!

New interview on GameTrailers:

Can't believe there are no more Kremlings :(

God, I love Retro. I have absolutely no doubt this game will be awesome.

Welcome back, DK.

Bit pissed off that there's no Kremlings actually. Its the games only flaw, (from the looks of it)) but its a big one/

Ah well, it still looks completely amazing.

Bit pissed off that there's no Kremlings actually. Its the games only flaw.

That's not a flaw that's a personal preference.

I think to be honest there are a few complications with RARE owning certain character designs, but I could be wrong and they necessarily wouldn't say that in the interview here. But it's the sacrifice you're gonna have to take and it's not like K rool was an essential character of donkey kong anyway :)

Yeah I think its more the case that Kremlings were Rare's mark on the series and Retro wants to leave their own. If its out of spite or respect, we'll never know.