Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

GoldenEye 007

Ren of Heavens

Even though "technically" it's "not as good" as Modern Warfare 2, I'm actually enjoying the campaign in this a lot more. It's simply designed to be fun. There's a surprising amount of variation, too.

I also love how for a lot of the game, you can choose if you want to be stealthy and a lot of levels are designed for both methods (obviously, there are also plenty of times where you have no choice but to go all guns blazing). The environment is also much more interactive.

At one point I looked through a window at a room with lots of guards. I then noticed fans on the ceiling. So I shot the fans.To my surprise, the game actually did what I wanted it to do: the fans fell down and killed the guards.

It brought a massive smile to my face - especially as the game doesn't highlight them in any way.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game Informer

• Donkey Kong Country – 9.5 – Game of the Month
  • God of War: Ghost of Sparta – 9.5
  • Kirby’s Epic Yarn – 9.5
  • Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood – 9.2
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops – 9.0
  • Fable III – 9.0
  • Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit – 8.75
  • GoldenEye 007 – 6.5

Concept - Attempt to recapture the glory of gaming's first beloved console FPS

Graphics - The single-player presentation is better than most Wii games, but falls apart in splitscreen.

Sound - Daniel Craig's visceral Bond persona is exchanged for dull monotone voicework, but the music is solid.

Playability - Don't bother playing this without a Classic Controller Pro

Entertainment - One of the better single player FPS experiences on the Wii, but that doesn't say much

Replay Value - Moderately Low

Game Informer are talking absolute tripe with that - not that I ever read their work. Maybe they were playing Goldeneye Rogue Agent? Goldeneye is one of the best looking games on Wii, it does suffer the occasional framerate drop but its not that regular - and when it does happen, there is alot - and I mean alot - going on. As for their retarded comments on Classic Pro, no way - Wii pointer controls are exceptional... flawless. Headshot after headshot. And the attention to detail is astonishing.

The concept of the game has me hoping Activision take another couple of classic Bond films and put them through this contemporary filter. Would work a treat, I think.

Only when reloading... which is an effect.

It's a stupid effect. The game is still great, though.

It's fun sneaking round slowly, picking off enemies one-by-one.

And it's fun running round spraying and punching enemies, quickly ducking into cover to regain health. The spraying part would be a million times harder on a normal controller.

Edited by Cube
Spelling Fail

The concept of the game has me hoping Activision take another couple of classic Bond films and put them through this contemporary filter. Would work a treat, I think.
I agree, it would be great to see moore of the classic Bond films make the jump to video game form. ;)

They should start with this:

It's a stupid effect.
Hold your hands up in front of your face and focus on them, it will tend to blur everything else. :heh: It's just there to add another aspect of realism.

But it also encourages you to reload while taking cover, which is a good idea anyway. :hehe:

They should start with this:

By far one of my favorite Bond intros. The silence as he jumps off the cliff, and then as the parachute opens the music starts playing. Very cool.

I quite like the reloading effect as it really makes you use cover and strategically take down enemies.

I'm a bit disappointed about the multiplayer, at least the split screen one. I had a friend over yesterday to try it out with me and we were heavily disappointed that if we want to play against each other, we were the only ones on the map! No split screen online, no bots to add. It was really boring after a couple of fights.

Also, what's up with Facility? It has nothing to do with the Facility I know, which is a shame. Some of the levels were okay though.

I just started the single player mode yesterday too and it seems good after the first level. Just have to tweak the controls to my liking.

I have been thinking about this for the past few days and I really hope they do, there is a lot of classic movies that would work great in the modern bond world :).

Also, what's up with Facility? It has nothing to do with the Facility I know, which is a shame. Some of the levels were okay though.

They can't copy another developer's level 1:1 and sell it with their game, so they have to run with the general idea...

Just started playing this, but god damn did they butcher the Facility. Everything about it was so underwhelming, until an incredibly underwhelming final cutscene. :sad:

Please tell me it picks up afterwards? Because at the moment, while some parts are very awesome (Dam) - it just doesn't feel like GoldenEye.

Just started playing this, but god damn did they butcher the Facility. Everything about it was so underwhelming, until an incredibly underwhelming final cutscene. :sad:

Please tell me it picks up afterwards? Because at the moment, while some parts are very awesome (Dam) - it just doesn't feel like GoldenEye.

It gets better, in fact it gets great. It's a brilliant campaign!

It gets better, in fact it gets great. It's a brilliant campaign!

Thanks. It's just weird, as someone who's a huge fan of the original game and movie, you'd think I would love this. Nostalgia is a double edged sword.

So far, it just doesn't feel anything like GoldenEye. I'm not quite sure why they rewrote it either. With that being said, I was very much impressed with the Dam and Severnaya.

Thanks. It's just weird, as someone who's a huge fan of the original game and movie, you'd think I would love this. Nostalgia is a double edged sword.

So far, it just doesn't feel anything like GoldenEye. I'm not quite sure why they rewrote it either. With that being said, I was very much impressed with the Dam and Severnaya.

The worst thing anyone can do is to start playing this expecting it to be the same as (or worse yet, surpass) the N64 game. :nono:

Was never going to happen.

The original GoldenEye is a legendary game because it was developed by the perfect development team for the job, at the peak of their career, with an insane amount of creative freedom given by the film company.

That's not a situation that can be easily replicated.

Even though this game isn't GoldenEye as you/I/everyone remembers it, it's still an excellent game that's been made with a lot of care and attention to detail.

Definitely not the cash-in that so many (myself included, initially :woops:) were anticipating.

Anyway, even if you end up not digging the single player, it's unlikely you'd feel the same way about multiplayer. Seriously, it's really good fun. :D

Even though this game isn't GoldenEye as you/I/everyone remembers it, it's still an excellent game that's been made with a lot of care and attention to detail.

Very true! I've actually been replaying a lot of the levels again, and interestingly enough I'm enjoying them a lot more the second time around. Playing stealthily is great fun.

I look forward to getting owned by you guys online some time too. Just had a look at the high score chart. Damn it, RedShell. :shakehead

The only reason I buy shooters is to play with you guys, but I'm still not entirely sure which one I should get....

Believe it or not, but I had an incredible amount of fun with Goldeneye: Rogue Agent back in the day (four-player split-screen:)), and so I am wondering if this game might create the same thing for me online.

If I were to believe Redshell, the answer would be yes:laughing:

Still, I have a feeling that The Conduit 2 could be just as fun.....:blank::hmm:

Just had a look at the high score chart. Damn it, RedShell. :shakehead
What? :heh:

For those who still havent got the game, its currently £25 at PC World, plus as part of their £15 million giveaway, you can get £5 vouchers for entering a code from off the back of their gift guide.
Awesome stuff. icon14.gif

Did you take advantage of that deal? And if not, any plans to get the game at some point?

If I were to believe Redshell, the answer would be yes:laughing:
Believe man... BELIEVE!! :D

You get to shoot people off ladders in multiplayer, that alone is worth the price of admission. :laughing:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!