NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

I thought the phone was lost in a bar. Finders keepers and all that?

The law in California is that "finders keepers" doesn't apply until after 3 years of the item being lost.

It was lost, then it was sold to Gizmodo. The actual selling of the item is where the concern is.

I thought the phone was lost in a bar. Finders keepers and all that?

Yeah shame the world doesn't work like that, heck they even gave it back when requested.

Probably shouldn't have opened it, but the publicity in the long run outweighs any settlement they'l eventually have to make.

The law in California is that "finders keepers" doesn't apply until after 3 years of the item being lost.

It was lost, then it was sold to Gizmodo. The actual selling of the item is where the concern is.

Fair enough. I knew the concern was the selling of stolen property, but I was questioning whether its really 'stolen' if some guy got drunk and left it in a bar. Apparently it is.

Apple really need to step up to the plate with this release, and not sell with hype alone - this is the smartphone market and, lets face it, iPhone has just not been cutting edge tech since day one. The iPhone range has had minimal upgrades (a damned insult, really) for the past few years. Bejesus, the original 2G iPhone released alongside the 3G N95 - a far superior phone, crammed full of cutting edge tech and features (but, admittedly, bogged down with an ancient OS).

If Apple don't pull out a superior product this year, they'll loose market share quickly - remember, RIM are still ahead in the US market, and Android is snapping at iPhone's heals in monthly sales (depite the threat of Apple lawyers).

Anyone know roughly when this iPhone is coming out because my phone is at death's door and I want to upgrade to this?

Anyone know roughly when this iPhone is coming out because my phone is at death's door and I want to upgrade to this?

Think there is going to be a conference for the OS4 and new iphone in july.

I guess I can stick with my phone until then. The stupid thing randomly decides to not receive/make calls/texts but there's no indication so I only find out when I try and make a call. Grrrrr.

Think there is going to be a conference for the OS4 and new iphone in july.

Going by historical evidence it's generally announced at the beginning of June which would line up with Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference from the 7th-11th.

With the 3GS there was an 11 day wait-period between when it was announced to when it was released. However that was in America and the chances are over here we'll get a longer lead time.

Cool, the sooner the better.

Do you know how long between the 3GS being announced and it being available here was?

WWDC is 7-11 June. The phone will likely be unveiled at that. Nobody knows when it'll launch yet though, but by the middle of July is pretty much certain (probably sooner).

Do you know how long between the 3GS being announced and it being available here was?

No idea, sorry. I just got that info from a thread on MacRumors. I wasn't paying much attention to the 3GS as I wasn't interested in it last year. I don't think it was longer than a month or so though?

When the new iPhone comes out, what will be the best way to get one without getting a contract? I'm guessing O2 won't let me upgrade since my current contract lasts 'til December.

Don't they allow upgrades for existing iPhone customers, regardless of end dates, as they know it will keep them locked in. Particularly now that they don't have the exclusivity.

Yeah just a month, 2 tops.

My contract is up for renewal in September so good timing for the new iphone (when's it getting announced?). I will have a month old 32G 3GS for sale then!

When the new iPhone comes out, what will be the best way to get one without getting a contract? I'm guessing O2 won't let me upgrade since my current contract lasts 'til December.

I went last year and just bought a 3G on pay-as-you-go once the 3GS was announced.

They sold them 50 quid off or something.

Still a lot of money though.

I dunno what I'm going to do once my years internet runs out at the end of the month.

Don't they allow upgrades for existing iPhone customers, regardless of end dates, as they know it will keep them locked in. Particularly now that they don't have the exclusivity.

I seem to remember a big fuss about 3G customers not being allowed to ugprade to 3GS though.

Gah, just seen that the 3GS 16GB is still £449 on PAYG. That's insane. Wonder how much I'll get for mine on ebay though...

Got to be worth selling it before the new one is out if you want top dollar. I hope there are some decent contracts for the new one. As it stands I think I'll be buying one outright and sticking my rolling contract sim card in there. So much better than any of the contract iPhone deals.

I seem to remember a big fuss about 3G customers not being allowed to ugprade to 3GS though.

Because it wasn't really an upgrade ::shrug:

I think the increased competition from Orange/T-Mobile will mean they are more willing to allow it anywho.

Hm, I've just thought though, early indications suggested it uses micro sim, so I can't just sell mine when the release date is announced then buy a new one on PAYG and pop my old card in...

Yeah just cut it down, by all accounts it seems to be very easy from people doing it for the iPad. It's certainly what I'll do if it does use a micro sim.

If upgrades are the same as last year then you'll have to buy out your contract. On Vodafone it's the remaining line rental (before VAT) minus 25%. The free upgrades for original iPhone users was an unusual one, not something I think networks will repeat tbh.

Yes, you only have to buy out the contract if you want to end it and start a new one to get a subsidized phone. To get it without one you'll just be buying the phone outright for probably what the 3GS costs at the moment and changing the sim card in it.