Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

Some papers suggested Lib Dems and Labour. Does that mean the people who voted for them are brainless zombies

Besides, the people we're voting for are all bullshitters and don't follow through with most of what they promised.

I don't read newspapers and I voted Green. :grin:

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some papers suggested Lib Dems and Labour. Does that mean the people who voted for them are brainless zombies

No, because they were real newspapers, whereas The Sun is dross in literature form, tailored for people who have trouble comprehending multi-clausal sentences.

My father has voted conservative for 30 years. As did his father. Does my opinion mean I must be a poor person because I hate the Tories... amirite?

Well I'll be damned if If I've formed my own opinion after going through higher education. It was just a stereotypical rant, and the Tory policies prove they just haven't changed what so ever.

Doesn't matter what you say, your post was still just silly bullshit.

Or maybe it's because he proposes policies that actually help poor people, such as £10000 tax free income; as opposed to policies such as lower inheritance tax for millionaire.

His policies could have been to mine the moon for cheese; it doesn't really matter, he was never going to get elected. lol :p

I respect someone who voted for a right wing candidate because they actually looked at the policies of the candidate, ect. and did some research far more than someone who voted for a left wing candidate simply because someone (or an organization) told them they should. It works both ways obviously though.

Besides, the people we're voting for are all bullshitters and don't follow through with most of what they promised.

Right, screw the party political differences, this is the thing that annoys me most about people when discussing politics. They're not all the same and some of them have extremely good intentions. Most of them are not there to simply screw you over.

In the case of front benchers, I think some of them do get corrupted with power. But has it ever occurred to you that with power, there comes compromises unforeseen that hinders a person's idealism?

They're really not all bullshitters:

I find it odd that people seem to 'know' that most people voted conservative did so because the papers told them to. I must ask them to teach me their methods of mind-reading, sounds like a riot.

We don't know this for sure. I don't know enough about the policies of the Conservatives in the UK to say this is the case, but in many other countries, large amounts of people vote for parties who's policies are not in their best interests if you look at their situation and political beliefs. In my riding, here in Canada, we have a Conservative MP, yet if you look at it demographically, the majority of people in the riding would not benefit at all from the policies of the Conservative party in Canada. Its obvious that a lot of the people here don't do research on their own and just vote based on outside influences. Its obviously not just newspapers who influence people to vote for certain candidates though, all other forms of media, and other propaganda influence who people vote for as well. In my riding specifically (and this is just speculation), it may even have something to do with the Conservative candidate being reasonably young compared to the liberal candidates we've had, and being in the same riding as a university, there are tons of people around a similar age, so they see him as someone they can relate to better.

Really upset that Evan Harris (Lib Dem) didn't get in in Oxford West! I went to see him at a candidate hust thing hosted by the uni, and apparently he's too essential for the science side of things.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/science/2010/05/election-2010-a-terrible-night-for-science.html

I agree, he really should have got in. Did you see how close it was? 23,906 for the Conservative candidate (Nicola Blackwood) to 23,730 for him. There's one MP who understood science (and libel reform) down the drain...

Can't we just ban dumb people from voting?

Like the ones who handed in ballots that were rejected for reasons such as: voting for more than one candidate on the ballot, marking the paper with personally identifiable information or markings, scribbling or defacing the paper.

Um can't remember the other ones, but it was on the news earlier, one major polling station was reading off the numbers of ballots rejected for each reasons, and some were in the hundreds.

I think a few of them even got chuckles from the crowd as they were read out.

Can't believe the Tories won. Are people just masochists??

Personally I told everyone who said they weren't intending to vote to go and spoil their ballot instead. It's a nice way of protesting, it doesn't put you in the group of people who didn't vote (as far as I know), and it's kind of funny. :heh: Of course actually voting is better...

Personally I told everyone who said they weren't intending to vote to go and spoil their ballot instead. It's a nice way of protesting, it doesn't put you in the group of people who didn't vote (as far as I know), and it's kind of funny. :heh: Of course actually voting is better...

What they could have done is swap places with those who didn't want to protest but wanted to vote for those on the ballot paper but got turned away.

Too much perhaps? :laughing:

What they could have done is swap places with those who didn't want to protest but wanted to vote for those on the ballot paper but got turned away.

Too much perhaps? :laughing:

Yeah, well I don't think any of them actually acted on my suggestion. :heh:

Doesn't matter what you say, your post was still just silly bullshit.

Actually it was a joke, intended to humour people. Sorry for failing so epically. I'll try harder next time.

You can't deny, however that the conservative party haven't changed. Their policy on taxation is completely laughable and will comprehensively destroy the public services many people rely on.

I respect someone who voted for a right wing candidate because they actually looked at the policies of the candidate, ect. and did some research far more than someone who voted for a left wing candidate simply because someone (or an organization) told them they should. It works both ways obviously though.

I heavily researched all the left wing candidates and I thought the green party by far had the fairest policy which I thought would be most beneficial to society, the economy and the environment.

You can't deny, however that the conservative party haven't changed. Their policy on taxation is completely laughable and will comprehensively destroy the public services many people rely on.

I strongly doubt that. So what you're saying is that in 2 years time, if the Conservatives had been in power for a while, you wouldn't be able to call an ambulance if you'd hurt yourself or a fire engine if your house is on fire?

Really, that's one of those statements that you can't really disprove since it requires a lot of time to pass, therefore it's hard to call you out on it. But we all know that's bullshit; if that ever happened, Conservatives would never be voted in ever again.

I strongly doubt that. So what you're saying is that in 2 years time, if the Conservatives had been in power for a while, you wouldn't be able to call an ambulance if you'd hurt yourself or a fire engine if your house is on fire?

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying public funding would be CUT not removed. The health service and education would be stretched. Prices on public transport would undoubtedly rise.

Really, that's one of those statements that you can't really disprove since it requires a lot of time to pass, therefore it's hard to call you out on it. But we all know that's bullshit; if that ever happened, Conservatives would never be voted in ever again.

No, it's simple economic and mathematics. Cut taxes = less money to spend which = spending cut.

It's not hard to call me out on it, it's a simple premise. They haven't published figures because it doesn't add up. What is the actual point in increasing the inheritance tax threshold to 1 million pounds? Affects a tiny minority of people and creates a huge black hole in gained tax, drastically affecting how much they can then spend.

Same Tories. Same useless policies.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!