NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Play.com had the 3DS listed as £199.99 but it looks like they've removed it for some reason.

Suspicious.

Or they were guessing like they normally do.

Edit: Oh, it is there if you look at the recently viewed box.

Play.Com Admit £199 3DS Price Was Speculation

E-tailer Play.com has today told IncGamers that a price it published on its website for forthcoming handheld Nintendo 3DS was nothing more than a guess.

The firm is currently listing the price for the black, blue and red versions as £199.99, which can be seen by logging onto the site and scrolling down the page to the Recently Viewed section on the left-hand side of the screen.

Nintendo has yet to announce an official price for its new handhed, but it is expected to be confirmed late September following the Tokyo Games Show.

A spokeswoman at play.com told IncGamers: “The price was purely a placeholder based on previous Nintendo Handheld offerings. Nintendo have not confirmed the price for the 3DS at present, however customers can sign up to Play.com’s ‘notify me’ e-mail system in order to be the first to know when the 3DS is available to pre-order and at what price.â€

source http://www.incgamers.com/News/24600/playcom-admit-199-3ds-price-was-speculation

Goron_3 I like games and I am a big fan of Nintendo.

I saw Canand's signature for the 3DS count down and I got all pumped thinking an official date had been given.

Then I realise it's just a count down for some information. Fuck me. Well played Canand.

Play.Com Admit £199 3DS Price Was Speculation

E-tailer Play.com has today told IncGamers that a price it published on its website for forthcoming handheld Nintendo 3DS was nothing more than a guess.

The firm is currently listing the price for the black, blue and red versions as £199.99, which can be seen by logging onto the site and scrolling down the page to the Recently Viewed section on the left-hand side of the screen.

Nintendo has yet to announce an official price for its new handhed, but it is expected to be confirmed late September following the Tokyo Games Show.

A spokeswoman at play.com told IncGamers: “The price was purely a placeholder based on previous Nintendo Handheld offerings. Nintendo have not confirmed the price for the 3DS at present, however customers can sign up to Play.com’s ‘notify me’ e-mail system in order to be the first to know when the 3DS is available to pre-order and at what price.â€

source http://www.incgamers.com/News/24600/playcom-admit-199-3ds-price-was-speculation

Goron_3 I like games and I am a big fan of Nintendo.

Big fan of Nintendo? What games do you like?

I saw Canand's signature for the 3DS count down and I got all pumped thinking an official date had been given.

Then I realise it's just a count down for some information. Fuck me. Well played Canand.

This is literally my first post after using N-Europe as my news site for a couple of years now, about time I looked at the forums and joined in and that countdown clock was one of the first things I saw!! Just for a split second I was hyped.... lol, nice sig!

Just to say as well, I haven't been a fan of forums for a couple of years after trying some out for Knight Rider and Transformers and they were full of... well... idiots to be honest (a lot of good folks but there were some that simply ruined it for everyone) but having had a good look around here this seems like a cool place to hang out! Quite excited about joining a forum after all this time... and all thanks to N-Europe's great coverage and the 3DS cause I'm so excited about it!!

Chainclaw

There's very few idiots here. I mean they're here....I'm one of them. But yeah, we're a great community, honestly....we're probably the best. :) Welcome to the forums.

Willkommen. Please deposit your soul in the box on the left. You won't be needing that anymore. You're part of the brotherhood now, bro.

Also, Canand's sig is brilliant. The red text is priceless. 34 days 9 hours and 46 minutes...until September 29th. If I didn't know what that sig was about, I'd assume it was just until a random date.

This is literally my first post after using N-Europe as my news site for a couple of years now, about time I looked at the forums and joined in and that countdown clock was one of the first things I saw!! Just for a split second I was hyped.... lol, nice sig!

Just to say as well, I haven't been a fan of forums for a couple of years after trying some out for Knight Rider and Transformers and they were full of... well... idiots to be honest (a lot of good folks but there were some that simply ruined it for everyone) but having had a good look around here this seems like a cool place to hang out! Quite excited about joining a forum after all this time... and all thanks to N-Europe's great coverage and the 3DS cause I'm so excited about it!!

Chainclaw

As you should! 3D is the testing ground for immersive holographics:D

Now then, ....

Look at mah Kaabii!!!!!

(and get hyped for Paper Mario 3DS!!!!!!)

Thanks for the welcome eveyone... now just gotta figure out why my avatar isn't working on the forum, it is in my profile... hmm.

Anyway, I can't wait until the end of September, keeping my fingers crossed for a pre-Christmas release after nGamer magazine said they had a source that "knew" it would be released this year, despite Reggie's statements to the contrary.

Chainclaw

Wow, canand has a countdown to my Birthday in his sig!

No really, why have a countdown to some information?

I'm looking forward to the announcement just so I can put down a pre-order.

It can be released at the end of 2012 for all I care, I just need to have a pre-order.

Already got mine preordered. Just need to find out the release date and price :)

Nice to see so much excitement for this, it's clearly going to be something very special. :cool:

I had a go on a 3D digital camera the other day that uses the same screen tech as the 3DS:

FinePix REAL 3D W1.

Was pretty weird at first, my eyes were kind of like "whoa, what's going on!" :laughing: But I got used to it after a few minutes. Seriously impressive stuff though, and it certainly made me even more excited for the 3DS. icon14.gif

I'm hoping that this will crop up in some gaming events down later in the year to get more awareness up about it.

Even though i've barely seen it or know anything about it, still looking forward to it.

Nintendo Power - Developers Impressions

Goichi Suda (Suda 51) – President & director, Grasshopper Manufacture:

“My first impressions of it was, ‘This is the toy of the future.” You can feel just how far and how fast games have evolved when you see the Nintendo 3DS. We’ve entered an era where we can bring worlds that we can almost touch and feel to life. Thus far, 3D has only been expressed with 2D. I think we’ve graduated from that and reached an age of expressing real depth through 3D with the 3DS.”

Matt Bozon – Creative director, WayForward

“I’ve stood in line for a lot of Nintendo unveils over the years, but even expecting to be amazed, seeing the Nintendo 3DS in person induced a sort of visual shell-shock. The system is as hypnotic as Turkish Delight and looks like a Hogwarts newspaper. The demos that showed games, movies, and photography in the third dimension had to be seen firsthand to be truly appreciated, with elements popping off the glass or dipping into the distance. When my play time was over and the friendly (but strong) Nintendo lady wrenched the system away, my phone, laptop, and other devices became flat, boring wastes of Z-space by comparison. But what excites me the most about this fancy pants is that it’s in the hands of Nintendo, so the games are going to be as brilliant as the machine itself. Can! Not! Wait!”

Cliff Bleszinski – Design director, Epic Games

“I dig it! It’s like having a crisp little 3D diorama in your hands. Also, send over a handful to me early, please.”

Warren Spector – VP & creative director, Junction Point:

“3DS rocks! I was backstage at the press conference and, like, every new feature was unbelievable! I knew it was 3D, but it’s got a 3D camera?! I can [potentially] watch 3D movies without glasses?! If he had said it had a phone in it, I would have stormed the stage and stolen the prototype. It’s unbelievable. I was telling some guys from Nintendo yesterday: I want the first one off the line. I’m not waiting for the second. I want the first one off the line. It’s unbelievable.”

Yuji Naka – President and CEO, Prope:

“My first impressions are very good. To be honest, I was really surprised. Nintendo kept this hidden for a long time; a lot of the creators I spoke to hadn’t seen it until [E3]. Everyone was surprised by how many featured are packed into the hardware – the two cameras, the motion sensor, the gyroscope, etc. I would love to create something using all of those tools. Before I went to E3, I was kind of skeptical. But now that I’ve held it and played it, I’m just blown away. The graphics performance is really impressive, as well. So I definitely want to be involved in making something for it.”

Masahiro Sakurai – Director of the Board Project Sora Co., LTD. Sora LTD.:

“It’s been a lot of fun working with 3D visuals and the Nintendo 3DS hardware. Up until now, when developers have compared game systems, the focus has been on whether the hardware’s graphics and AI are good or bad; it’s been this battle to squeeze power out of the hardware. It feels like this time, because of the 3D visuals, a lot of attention has moved away from those things and developers are freed up to just have fun with what 3D offers.”

Koji Igarashi – Producer, Konami:

“I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet! But I was able to see the dev kit, and I thought it was very interesting. I have many kinds of ideas [for Nintendo 3DS], but I don’t know if all those ideas are possible. I’ll have to test it and see what I can do.”

Jeremiah Slaczka – Cofounder & creative director, 5th Cell:

“I’ve been playing around with some concepts for the 3DS for awhile now. I’m really interested in not just the 3D screen, but also how to utilize new additions like the 3D camera and the new connectivity options. The 3D cam is pretty trippy. I could be wrong, but I think the 3DS offers the first consumer-grade 3D camera out there. Also, after doing five games on the DS we’ve pretty much tapped all of its potential in terms of sheer, raw power, so I’m glad to see the 3DS has a lot more horsepower than the previous system.”

Shigeru Miyamoto – General Manager, Entertainment Analysis & Development Division, Nintendo Co. LTD

“When playing in a fully rendered world with polygonal graphics, I think it’s been difficult for a lot of people to judge depth and space in those worlds. Sometimes you might see an object and not really be able to tell if it’s small and close by, or if it’s big but far away. Or, in a Mario game in particular, if you’re trying to hit a question-mark block from underneath, it can be hard to identify precisely where that black is in space; even trying to jump on top of a tree stump can be very difficult. But the 3D effect gives you that depth perception between objects, and it makes navigating those worlds much easier. So, games will change in ways that take advantage of that depth and height; that spatial relationship.”

Takashi Izuka – Producer, Sonic Team:

“At Sonic Team, we’re already studying the Nintendo 3DS. We’re very interested in the platform. We think the depth of 3D could really help the sense of speed, especially when you’re playing Sonic from behind-the-back perspective.”

Tyrone Rodriduez – Producer, Nicalis:

“It doesn’t matter whether you’re a developer, a hardcore gamer, or don’t play games at all. The technology behind the 3DS, simply put, is incredible. Prior to seeing it in action, I was honestly a bit skeptical that the new console could pull of a believable 3D image sans glasses. But it works!”

Eiji Aonuma – Manager of Software Developer Group No. 3, EAD Software Development Department, Entertainment Analysis & Development Division, Nintendo Co. LTD:

“Obviously it has so much potential. I really, really think that there’s a lot that can be done with it. I mean, we started working on Ocarina of Time for 3DS, and really got an idea of how we can treat the vast expanses of Hyrule and how we can show those in a different way using the technology at hand. That being said, there are some things being done with the Nintendo 3DS that have exceeded my expectations; some of the things where I thought ‘that would be really great in 3D’ – not so much. So it’s really a learning curve for all of us, trying to figure out what we can do with that to bring new elements into gameplay. But with Nintendo 3DS, it’s not just the 3D capabilities. We have that plus the touch screen; we have that plus the motion sense. And it’s a portable handheld system. You take all of those elements together and look at the potential that is inherent in all that – I think there’s just a lot of great things we’ll be able to do going forward.”

With all these features, I wonder what the battery life will be like.

With all these features, I wonder what the battery life will be like.

I believe they've stated at one point it will be similar to what the DSi achieves.

Nintendo have always thought of things such as battery life, power consumption, custom chips to bring down costs by combining elements etc, there are things inside the current DS and the Wii that are taken for granted but which are really ground breaking but they don't hype those up because they'd rather the games talked for the system. So I have no worries about the battery life.

As for the announcement, I can't wait to simply hear more info! All I want is a release date, but having the price, final design and launch games for Europe would be nice too, and so I'm really looking forward to this announcement. I kinda ruined the Wii launch for myself by reading TOO much about it online and watching TOO many videos etc, I preferred the launch of the DS because I didn't really do that, and in previous years just discovered a machine and what potential it had on the day I got my hands on it. So if it's released before Chrimbo (fingers crossed!!) I'll not be reading up on anything too much until after I get my hands on it on Christmas Day (my family are getting me it if it's out :D )

Roll on end of September! :D

Interview on MT Framework Mobile & MT Framework 2.0

MT Framework Mobile on 3DS

- Resident Evil Revelations

Takuechi says that at first he couldn't believe the results they were getting.

The game utilizes all the common rendering techniques on 360/PS3 like HDR rendering, surface shaders and normal maps, there are a lot more details in there and picture comparisons. Death of filed, gamma correction etc all are used.

without HDR

cap24.jpg

with HDR

cap25.jpg

without colour correction

cap26.jpg

with colour correction

cap27.jpg

Motion Blur, apparently it's not compatible with 3D and is only used in 2D mode.

without Motion Blur

cap34.jpg

with Motion Blur

cap35.jpg

Depth of Field

without

cap32.jpg

with

cap33.jpg

Normal maps

Without

cap30.jpg

With

cap31.jpg

Surface shaders, self shadowing

without

cap28.jpg

with

cap29.jpg

Anti-Aliasing, it seems that there is up to 2xAA in 2D mode and it's off in 3D mode.

they say that although polygon count and resolution is lower than RE5 but Revelations has similar expression, or something around this.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, apparently it uses MTFM too.

cap37.jpg

cap38.jpg

cap36.jpg

They were questioned about the engine on PSP, iPhone and other mobile devices and Takuechi says that they are not doing it right now but if there is a nextgen PSP and specs are enough , he thinks they can do it.

MT Framework 2.0

-MVC3 is based on MTF2.1, targeting 60fps like DMC4. They are looking to make MTF available to studios outside of Capcom.

-Lost Planet 2 for PC.

Support for DX11 tessellation is shown in some screenshots, water ripples are simulated in PC version unlike console version, there are some pics showing this.

Future

They are doing something with deferred rendering and adding support for more light sources, it gets too technical here.

Capcom development system

There is something about the development structure in capcom , blah blah, nothing important. Takuechi says that they will announce some stuff at TGS, surprise etc.

Edited by Dante

There's "leaks" going around, seen two so far from different sources saying Japanese release is November 20th

There's "leaks" going around, seen two so far from different sources saying Japanese release is November 20th

From Keyfactory designer Twitter;

Nintendo-3DS-November-20th.jpg

“On November 20th, the 11 goods I designed for use with the 3DS will go on sale simultaneously. Those of you buying the 3DS, please buy them while you’re at it! This will be officially announced on the homepage eventually, lol. Best regards.â€

Later removed and replace with this;

"OIRA is designed to place 20 11 11 3DS product will be released simultaneously for the product.â€

Wow, thought those Resident Evil pics were for PS3/360:o

If we are lucky to be treated to the 3DS before Xmas, I can see it being the number 1 Christmas product.

The NDS announcement was on 19th of September 2004 and it came out in US on 21st of November, in Japan on 2nd of December and in Europe on the 11th of March.

So next year for us if does get released in Japan on the 20th of November. :hmm:

Also Kinect is released in Japan on the 20th of November.

Andriasang Details

Capcom on 3DS MT Framework and Resident Evil Revelations

Technology writer Zenji Nishikawa posted his latest "3D Game Fan" article today at Impress Watch. The focus of this latest entry in the long-running series is on Capcom's MT Framework, particularly upcoming developments. Nishikawa spoke with Capcom's head of production Jun Takeuchi, head of technical research and development Masaru Ijuuin, and programmer Satoshi Ishida and picked up new information on how the company will be using the development tools for 3DS.

Capcom previously announced that Resident Evil Revelations, its new 3DS Resident Evil game, would make use of the MT Framework. The name of the 3DS version of the framework is officially "MT Framework Mobile," revealed Ishida. While MTFM is based off MT Framework 2.0, the graphics have been specialized for the 3DS.

Revelations is the first game to use MTFM, said Takeuchi. "[Revelations] is a completely new project that we started up after hearing about the 3DS. It's not a project that was progressing on separate hardware and was moved to the 3DS."

Our first glimpse at Revelations came through an E3 trailer. Regarding this, Takeuchi said "The images since the game's E3 unveiling have all been real time rendered on the 3DS development hardware. It seems as though people didn't believe us at first, but we'd like you to know that the 3DS is capable of this level of expressive power."

Although Nintendo has forbade developers from sharing final graphics specs for the 3DS, Capcom was willing to discuss the kinds of technology that the game uses.

The game's graphics rendering pipeline is, when looked at from a far, almost identical to that of Resident Evil 5. The game has such things as HDR Rendering, Self Shadows and Normal Maps. Effects like color correction, depth of field, gamma correction and such have also already been implemented. During 3D use, the game will maintain a 30 frames per second output.

Motion blur is currently in a test state. The staff is determining if motion blur fits in with 3D visual output, so it's possible that this will end up being switched off in the final.

Regarding the game's use of 3D, Nishikawa writes that the game is being made to be played throughout in full 3D. You can, of course, play with the 3D effect off. In general, there will be no difference in the visual quality. However, things like antialiasing will change. During 3D, this will be off, while 2D will use 2x.

Outside of Revelations, Nishikawa confirms that Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition is also using MTFM.

The article also touched upon developments for the MT Framework series outside of 3DS.

There are many variations of MT Frameworks in use right now, some of which have been officially announced. Marvel VS Capcom 3 makes use of MT Framework 2.1, the next step up from the MTF 2.0 tools that were used for Lost Planet 2. Sengoku Basara 3, released on PS3 and Wii, makes use of "MT Framework Lite." Nishikawa got comment on these from the developers.

Marvel's case is particularly interesting. In a Nishikawa feature last year, the MT Framework team said that Capcom was looking to have the MT Framework used by its contract studios (here's a summary of that feature in case you missed it). Nishikawa confirms that MVC3 is the first case of this happening, although he said that he couldn't reveal the name of the external studio that's developing the game.

Nishikawa notes that MVC3 will be the framework's first 60 frames per second game since Devil May Cry 4.

Regarding MT Framework Lite, this name was given to the tools when they were made to work with Wii. MTFL is officially compatible with Wii and PlayStation 3.

As evidenced by MT Framework Lite and Mobile, Capcom seems to be interested in bringing the framework to multiple platforms. The PSP family could be included in these -- although not the current PSP. Asked about making the framework compatible with PSP, Takeuchi said "At present, there are no plans. However, if the PSP has a next generation version, the hardware specs will presumably rise, so we will probably have to make it compatible."

Capcom is also pushing the high end areas of the framework forward by implementing the latest in visual technology. Included among these technologies is Deferred Lighting, which is currently being implemented.

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost