NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

The last time launch details were given in September, we got the Wii three months later.

The last time launch details were given in September, we got the Wii three months later.

Aye, I remember looking forward to those mid-September conferences in 2006 almost as much as I'd look forward to a new console itself. Sad, perhaps.

Capcom's Earnings Briefing Hints at No 3DS Releases This Fiscal Year

As evidenced at E3, Nintendo's new 3DS platform has the backing of most Japanese third parties. But one of the largest may not have any games ready for the system's launch this fiscal year.

During a Q&A session at an investors briefing today, Capcom reps were asked if 3DS games are included in its projections for the current fiscal year. The response was: "We announced Resident Evil Revelations and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition at E3, but these are not included in our plan for this fiscal year."

It should be noted that the responders did not specifically state that there wouldn't be any releases this fiscal year. Asked about the timing for 3DS game releases, they said "At present, it's to be determined."

3DS was one of the main topics during the Q&A session. One person asked about development costs for the system. The response: "If we use our internally developed engine MT Framework, it is possible to share the basic development process with other platforms, so we don't think [development costs] will see extreme rises."

Someone asked if a game on 3DS using MT Framework means it will necessarily be part of a multiplatform strategy. This is not the case. "We decide platform by considering the type of game and other areas. It's not the case that we'll simply release one game on all platforms."

Why are they not doing a press confrence for gamescom Nintendo I want to now when UK will be geting Nintendo 3DS and what is so specal about September 29 why cant it be August 29.

I'd presume Nintendo aren't doing a press conference at Gamescon because of the event taking place on the 29th. And it does sound like there are going to be multiple events (NoJ made the announcement but looks like NoA are doing an event as well) but whether NoE actually do an event, I'm not sure. They haven't done Fall events in the past alongside the other events, merely putting out an updated release schedule for Europe. ::shrug:

We'll see what happens. I'm still not expecting a release date for this year. And I'm not surprised Capcom aren't releasing anything this financial year really. Resident Evil was clearly further on than SSFIV but both are nowhere close to being completed in the financial year. Don't think many of the games that Nintendo announced that would be coming to the 3DS from the big third parties will be available at launch anyway.

Nintendo JAPAN EUROPE America had a Fall Press Confrence in 2008 thats when they announced the Nintendo DSi.

Why are they not doing a press confrence for gamescom Nintendo I want to now when UK will be geting Nintendo 3DS and what is so specal about September 29 why cant it be August 29.

All in due time, canand. They've announced an announcement where they will announce more details. We all want to know more details, but it's likely they don't have any set dates yet. It's not quite as easy as it seems to pinpoint a good releasedate for al territories. "ASAP" isn't the same as "Strategically sensible".

What do you guys think to about 2D parallax graphics being done on the 3DS. Do you think it would work or just make the layers seem more fake?

The DS has still been a bastion of 2D games and I would hate to see those go. Maybe the 3DS graphical effects such as volumetric smoke could just be in 3D, they certainly look good in the cinema. I'd like to see what the Castlevania team would do with that.

I think it could work really well for some games. Especially for foreground objects - sometimes they can get in your way. With the 3DS you move your head and you can look around it.

Plus you can always turn 3D off if you don't like it.

Well take Pokemon for instance. I would think that if you put a z value on each of the layers then initially the game would be quite enticing and would have a very similar effect to the Virtual Boy (you know without the brain tumours).

But then I can see that everything will look like flat cardboard models in the fore or background. And to me that would kill the illusion. Might as well be the original Doom.

Maybe if someone could dev a nice depth of field effect.... 3DS could do that I recon.

I think it could work really well for some games. Especially for foreground objects - sometimes they can get in your way. With the 3DS you move your head and you can look around it.

As far as I know, that won't work. The in game camera's angle won't change a bit, no matter how you move your head. So there is no looking around objects, even if you perceive depth when you're looking at it from the right angle.

The only solution I can see to this, would be to employ the inward camera for head tracking. Considering that the right angle for perceiving the effect is so limited however, that probably wouldn't work either.

Edited by Burny

The only solution I can see to this, would be to employ the inward camera for head tracking. Considering that the right angle for perceiving the effect is so limited however, that probably wouldn't work either.

And the fact that most software up to now that used head-tracking only works under optimal lightning condition, wich means nigh-on never.

The point is correct: 3D doesn't mean you can use your head to look behind something. It's a 3D-effect, no virtual reality. Perhaps for the better:

428695582c11894pp2t56d135201.jpg

What about using the in-built accelerometer as a sort of means for camera-control? Wouldn't that give a similar effect if worked in conjunction with the 3D? Admittedly, it would involve moving the actual console rather than your head, but perhaps it'd be possible.

What do you guys think to about 2D parallax graphics being done on the 3DS. Do you think it would work or just make the layers seem more fake?

Do you mean like Paper Mario which impressed at E3? If so, yes the 3DS can do it.

2D games have strove towards what I would call 'depth enhancement' for years. Just look at those distant vistas in 2D Mario games and the way leaves etc would cover up the foreground in titles like DKC. (The last boss in Yoshhis Island and the snowball games in DKC spring to mind amongst the bonus levels in Earthworm Jim/Lion King too.

With 3D effects added to these simple existing ideas perhaps we will see classic titles re-imagined in 3D. I for one would love to see old 2D games in 3D-o-vision. 2D will never die!!

What about using the in-built accelerometer as a sort of means for camera-control? Wouldn't that give a similar effect if worked in conjunction with the 3D? Admittedly, it would involve moving the actual console rather than your head, but perhaps it'd be possible.

If you mean gyrometers, they could maybe be used in combination with (imprecise) head tracking. But it also means looking at the device from angles it's not meant to be looked at.

The gyrometers alone wouldn't help much, I think. They can only tell how much you tilt the 3DS along certain axes. Imagine you're playing lying on the couch and hold the 3DS above your head instead of sitting upright. The "zero position" would have to be calibrated every time you budge.

Do you mean like Paper Mario which impressed at E3? If so, yes the 3DS can do it.

I like the way you use the words 'Paper' and 'Mario' together: peace:

Nintendo 3DS Won't Be Out Until 2011, Says Pachter

The Nintendo 3DS will not be released in the UK before Christmas, according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter.

Speaking exclusively to IncGamers today, Pachter said: “I expect the device to be available only on eBay for its first couple of months. I think that we Westerners won't have an opportunity to buy before Christmas, so think that sales by Christmas will be limited to a few million in Japan.â€

The industry analyst also predicted the UK price will be £199 and its overall success will be largely down to Nintendo’s ability to supply and its price point.

“I see it having huge success as an upgrade device, with sales likely limited only by supply and price. My best guess is that they will price it around $250/£199/€250, so this may limit demand somewhat, and I doubt that Nintendo will manufacture more than 10 - 15 million the first full year,†said Pachter.

The analyst added he believes most gamers interested in the 3DS will be current DS owners : “I think that the 3DS's addressable market is really the current DS market and some overlap with the current PSP market. That's still a huge market opportunity.â€

Source http://www.incgamers.com/News/24651/nintendo-3ds-wont-be-out-until-2011-says-pachter

Who the beep is this guy he talks utter rubbish how does he now Michael Pachter you dont work for nintendo.

Pachter is one of the most well known analysts in the industry, he's hit and miss with his predictions but I think he's pretty close to the mark with these comments. I doubt Nintendo can reach all three terititories this year as well as maintaining shipments of Wii and DS/i.

Although there is a strong chance Japan will see the 3DS this year (thats where the current DS is seeing a steeper decline in sales), I am in agreement - sadly - that Europe and the US will see a later release in 2011.

I think that you're missing my point. It's fine for PapMario to look like cardboard cut outs but I'm not sure every sprite based game will want that; Castlevania certainly wouldn't.

I'm not denying the ability to show depth with a 2D game, just that it would actually impair the illusion of 3D by making the sprites more obviously flat.

Pachter is one of the most well known analysts in the industry, he's hit and miss with his predictions but I think he's pretty close to the mark with these comments. I doubt Nintendo can reach all three terititories this year as well as maintaining shipments of Wii and DS/i.

Although there is a strong chance Japan will see the 3DS this year (thats where the current DS is seeing a steeper decline in sales), I am in agreement - sadly - that Europe and the US will see a later release in 2011.

I hope not I relley need to play it I cant wait for next year if it is comeing next year becuase I am finding it hard to wiat untill 29th September.

Pachter's prediction

You make a good point about the sales decline in Japan. But it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo did a Wii with the 3DS. Release it in all 3 territories, generate some HUGE interest world wide and remain unbothered by the lack of supply.

With new hardware like this I really don't think that the lack in supply would hurt their business.

Jesus Canand why do you HAVE to play it? There are more important things than games lol.

I expect Pachters comments are pretty close to being correct tbh. The price point seems right, i think Nintendo realise they shot themselves in the foot by selling the Wii for $250 and it was sold out for months.

Play.com had the 3DS listed as £199.99 but it looks like they've removed it for some reason.

Suspicious.

Or they were guessing like they normally do.

Edit: Oh, it is there if you look at the recently viewed box.

Edited by Ike