NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Went into GAME today, the man behind the counter (who was actually quite nice and knew what he was talking about...shock horror) is adamant the release date is March 2011.

Europe will be last again apparently, as Japan is the only confirmed place to get it in 2010.

bummer.

Sony: Nintendo Shouldn't Bash our 3D tech

Sony wasn't thrilled about Nintendo's E3 2010 press conference where it continually reiterated its "no more glasses" messaging for the 3DS.

During an interview with IGN, president of Sony's Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida responded by saying Nintendo's vision for 3D gaming is similar to theirs and that it shouldn't focus on whether or not glasses are worn.

"I have hope that they have a broader perspective with 3D," Yoshida said. "When you listen to what they are saying about the effect of 3D perspective to the games, they are saying the same message we are, but they don't have to bash some small part of what the other company is doing."

Yoshida later said the industry should advocate 3D development, and that Sony would like to work alongside Nintendo in promoting the new technology.

"I think as an industry we should preach this new perspective, from a very large cinema screen to a small portable, because that helps advancing the games and the game industry," he said. "We'd like to work together to promote 3D."

At the time, Yoshida admitted he hadn't actually played the 3DS yet, but said the glasses technology is improving all the time and that of course they'll be required for movie-like experiences.

"If you really want a big theater experience, of course you have to wear glasses," he said. "With the latest technology, the glasses are light and you kind of forget you're wearing them after awhile."

But glassesless is better.....why not mention it? n00bs.

It is quite literally the main selling point of the device. Why would they keep quiet about it? The whole point is that it's 3D, but in a new way. Maybe Sony don't understand the idea of marketing something new, that you invent yourself...

That's rich of Sony to go against company bashings, since that's what Kevin Butler is all about.

This entire thing screams 'I buy mature games for mature gamers like myself'.

For me, just the thought of Epic Games loving the system and potentially wanting to work on it is enough to make my eyes vomit and excrete at the same time.

You obviously never played Shadow Complex.

You obviously never played Shadow Complex.

Played it I have. Few years ago it was. Style it had.

It was Super Metroid.

Edited by D_prOdigy

Shadow Complex was mostly handled by Chair I think. It also came out last year, in August so less than a year ago, so you didn't play it a few years ago.

Shadow Complex was mostly handled by Chair I think. It also came out last year, in August so less than a year ago, so you didn't play it a few years ago.

I was trying... never mind.

The problem for ALL tv manufacters is that general consumers may look at the 3DS tech and assume it'll come to large screen TVs. Which it will, in 2024. 3D is the big thing that these companies were hoping would pull them through the recession, and here's Nintendo with a bit of disruptive tech undermining their efforts; it instantly ages their technology, and thats no doubt a huge worry for them.

I love it personally. The fact that the 3DS forces the big boys to stop with-holding technology so they can profit can only be a good thing. Not that Nintendo aren't just as bad.

Brownie point for encouraging main site traffic for me.

For those who have not seen it, citing Play.com (not the most reliable source) NE main site is reporting 3DS could hit by November.

Seems a bit weird we have "dates" for 2 games no one has seen yet. Play.com aren't very reliable for dates, though are rarely right.

Play.com like to make guesses, they had Fatal Frame IV down for ages, along with a few other games Europe has no chance of seeing.

Just an FYI guys, we had a Nintendo rep visit our store the other day so I asked some questions about the 3DS. No news on the release date, he said it would be "before March next year" which we already knew (though not necessarily for Europe), but did give a rough idea on the price, saying it'd be between £180-200. I know we were throwing these guesses around anyway but it's good to get a rough idea. :D

Unrelated, they're going to be having a similar advertising push with Dragon Quest as they had with Monster Hunter to get it out there and really sell it. That's all folks :heh:

New info about Pokeman Black & White card can do voice chat. So does that mean 3DS has this feature build into it?

New info about Pokeman Black & White card can do voice chat. So does that mean 3DS has this feature build into it?

You mean like some type of revolutionary built in microphone? Perhaps like the one...in the existing DS, that would be essential for backwards compatibility anyway?

I mean, voice chat was in Diamond and Pearl as it is. Is this in any way interesting?

Check my post in the Pokemon thread under yours. If you'd read your own post which you may have most probably copied and pasted from some where else, the main importance was video chat, which had not been done in Pokemon before, James is correct when he says voice chat has been featured since the first games of Generation IV.

I was mean to put video chat than voice chat.

Japan's Biggest Producers Comment on 3DS

Third party titles were one of the main focuses for 3DS at E3, and Nintendo had a lot to show. Third parties have embraced the system, resulting in the announcement of major titles like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Metal Gear and Professor Layton for the system.

It's not just the publishers themselves, but major producers at the various publishers also seem to have a positive opinion about the new system. Famitsu got some commentary from many of those producers this week. Some are actually working on 3DS games. Some aren't. But all seem to be hyped.

Here's a summary of what everyone had to say:

Hideo Kojima

The Metal Gear mastermind is worked on the E3 demo of Metal Gear Solid 3D. He said, "I wear glasses, so I'm happy that 3D glasses are not needed. I directed the E3 demo. It was based off Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, but the backgrounds and character modeling were all redone in high polygon. It's not finalized, but we're thinking about CO-OPs and other things -- elements fitting of a 3D and portable game machine."

Suda 51

GrassHopper Manufacturer's CEO and the man behind Killer 7 and No More Heroes has not yet announced any 3DS games. He told Famitsu, "I was able to feel the speed of progression of video game history, and also the feeling of 'We've come this far.'" Seeing the 3DS made him feel like there is a real touchable world inside the screen. "To express the game I want to make in a word, it's 'The Next Game.' Nintendo 3DS is the arrival of 'The Next Hardware.' So, 'The Next Game.'"

Hideki Kamiya

The Platinum Games designer and director who's responsible for such masterworks as Bayonetta and Okami has not announced any 3DS games. He commented on the differences between 3D gaming on the small screen through 3DS and 3D gaming on the large screen. The latter has great impact, making you better feel like you're in the game. 3D on a small screen like the 3DS, however, gives you the feeling of something truly existing in the palm of your hands. Said Kamiya, "Games with dynamic scale are okay too, but I personally would like to take a different approach from the large screen and make a 3D game where you can enjoy the feeling of existence given by portable 3D."

Toshihiro Nagoshi

Nagoshi is known mostly for the Yakuza series, but he's working on Super Monkey Ball for 3DS. He believes that 3DS is the "conclusion" one would expect from Nintendo, whom he feels has, since Wii, shown a stance of pursuing game hardware as toys. "If future portable game machines demand that both social aspects and immersion be satisfied for when you play multiplayer and single player for instance, 3DS firmly answers these with Wi-Fi and 3D. I'd like to make a variety of proposals."

Shu Takumi

One of the chief forces behind Dino Crisis, Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick, Takumi has no announced 3DS projects at present. He says that he's been a big fan of 3D since the Virtual Boy area, and his feeling upon seeing the 3DS was "We've at last reached this point!" "As a creator, I feel that a new challenge has started." By "new challenge," he feels that a number of things need to be considered for the first time -- interface issues with 3D, new uses of the top and bottom screen, how to handle the cursor/pointer during adventure games, and so forth. "I'd like to show a mystery in a 3D space."

Atsushi Inaba

The CEO of Platinum Games has no current 3DS product announced. But boy does he seem excited! Said Inaba, "I experienced a strong jolt of the feeling 'I want to make something.' When I first saw Wii and DS at Nintendo's home office, I was also excited. It's the same feeling here, but the level is completely different this time. Since the start of the game industry, there's never been a system that better fit the words 'dream' and 'next generation.'"

Keiji Inafune

The Mega Man guy, who also appears to be taking an unhealthy interest in zombies of late, has no current DS projects announced. He had a more business minded perspective in his comments: "Things needed to sell games are concept, technology and marketing. Nintendo 3DS is a showcase of things for selling hardware. While keeping the appeal of portable game machines as is, it offers high processing ability, improved controls, a more appealing design, goggle-free 3D technology, and a robust 3rd party title lineup."

Takenobu Terada

Terada is the producer of the Super Robot Wars series. Namco Bandai announced at E3 that the 3DS would be getting a game in the series. In his response to Famitsu, he said that as someone who paid full price at launch for past 3D systems and Virtual Boy, he feels that with 3DS the true contender has arrived. His staff is currently looking at a number of approaches for the 3DS Super Robot Wars games -- possibly making something like Super Robot Wars Neo with 3D visuals, or possibly using conventional 2D battles and adding 3D effects and cut-ins, or something completely different.

Shinji Mikami

The man behind Resident Evil and the upcoming Vanquish says that he was surprised to find that the system's 3D is more solid than he'd been expecting. Rather than coming out of the screen, the images have great depth and truly feel 3D. He likes that you don't need glasses to view the 3D. Closing off, he said, "I felt that I'd definitely like to work on 3DS. Ah, it's time for dinner with Itagaki."

Tomonobu Itagaki

What did the creator of Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive and, most recently, Devil's Third, have to say about 3DS? Not much! He spoke about how goggle-free 3D isn't really suitable for your home television, as the sweet spot for being able to see the 3D effect is very narrow. However, he believes it will work on a portable, as you don't have the sweet spot problem. He finished with, "Today, I have a meeting at a yakiniku place, but I think things will heat up with talk about 3DS."

So Itagaki and Mikami are meeting for dinner, eh? What could they be talking about?

Yoshinori Ono

The Super Street Fighter IV producer is working on Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. He told Famitsu that outside of just the 3D visuals, he'd like to expand the fun of the game through the 3DS's other new features. "We'd like to put in some ideas that make effective use of the portability."

Hiroyuki Kobayashi

The producer of such games as Devil May Cry, Resident Evil 5 and Sengoku Basara doesn't have any announced 3DS projects. Upon seeing Nintendo's titles running on actual 3DS hardware, he was "extremely surprised" to find that the images truly do come out from the screen. "Our own Resident Evil was shown on the show floor and was well received, but when I saw Metal Gear, I felt the new potential of the 3DS. I'd like to make something."

So, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Street Fighter IV, Lylat Wars, Sonic, Paper Mario, Kid Icarus....

What an unbelievably line up of games. I want this thing now.

Eurogamer has reported that a release date and launch price are coming in September....well at least for the Japanese gamers anyway. Fingers crossed Nintendo give details for the Western launch aswell.

Nintendo will reveal the date and price of the 3DS in Japan on 29th September 2010.

The Mario maker poinpointed the date to Bloomberg Japan (via GamesIndustry.biz).

Nintendo revealed the 3DS at E3 in June. We were told the dazzling new handheld would be here in 2011.

Professional guessers (read: analysts) have predicted that the 3DS will cost between $249 and $299 (£159/£191). I'm putting my money on £159.99. What say you?

I'd presume it'll be a Fall conference like they've done in the past, so we'll get release dates for the big games coming in the run up to Xmas. If that is the case, I'd reckon that NoA will have some form of event running alongside the Japanese one and we in Europe will be left to ponder what is happening as NoE leave us in the dark until later.

Nintendo UK have talked a little about pricing though, albeit rather cryptically. They've said it will be in line with 'current pricing architecture' we see for the DSi and DSi XL. So, around the £150 I'd hazard a guess at. Perhaps slightly more but not by much as at that point, you're paying more than you would if you bought a home console, be it a Wii, or 360 (one of the older models mind you).

Personally I reckon it'll be priced at around £169.99 possibly with a game or at least something bundled with it, let's face it though, it's still gonna fly off the shelves even if it's near the two hundred mark but pricing it a bit lower than that would be the smart option.