NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

me and boyfriend think the Plymouth one may be a big demo tent set up in the middle of plymouth town centre cause the adress is just the straight bit through the middle.

Although its when the 3DS is out and the end of march so he might be coming back home anyway to play on mine....even though I banned him

In other news I think my post is going up on ONM soon *eek* and a picture of me Ryu and Ken will be the header >_<

Already there ---> Link

Congrats, Nice post :)

Full list:

• February 22nd – 28th; St Andrew Square, Edinburgh,
  • March 1st – 7th; Williamson Square, Liverpool,
  • March 3rd – 6th; MetroCentre (Exhibition Square) Gateshead, Newcastle,
  • March 8th – 14th; Old Market Square, Nottingham,
  • March 10th – 13th; Westfield (South Atrium), London,
  • March 15th – 21st; The Forum, Norwich,
  • March 17th – 20th; Lakeside Shopping Centre, Thurrock,
  • March 17th – 20th; Cabot Circus (Site G), Bristol,
  • March 24th – 27th; Westfield (Centre Management Suite), Derby,
  • March 29th – ? Armada Way Piazza (City Centre), Plymouth,
  • March 31 – April 3rd; WestQuay, Southampton.

http://www.nintendo-universe.co.uk/2011/02/14/full-list-of-nintendo-3ds-tour-dates-detailed-for-the-uk/

I'm going to to the Metro Centre one.

Are those events for the general public? The Nottingham market square is about 300m from my house :D

The more I look at the 3DS, the more I wish the screen was larger, not considerably - just the same height as my DSLite, but with the extra width of a 16:9 screen. If the LG Optimus 3D phone can manage a 4.3inch 3D display, surely Nintendo could have. For me, its the most disappointing aspect of the 3DS.

Of course, the larger the screen the more battery drain - perhaps the impact on batterylife is why we're seeing smaller screens (still don't know why they never stuffed in a more capable battery - you can buy 2200mAh batteries on Amazon for $10).

I guess we can expect a number of console upgrades over the next couple of years though, as batteries/tech improves.

I think there should have also been a second analogue stick, why didn't they just put one under the letter buttons and move the power button, which is in a bit of a stupid place anyway.

Edited by Retro_Link

I guess we can expect a number of console upgrades over the next couple of years though, as batteries/tech improves.

Higher resolution / wider aspect ratio screen and second analog pad won't be among them though. Clashes too much with backwards compatibility.

The more I look at the 3DS, the more I wish the screen was larger, not considerably - just the same height as my DSLite, but with the extra width of a 16:9 screen. If the LG Optimus 3D phone can manage a 4.3inch 3D display, surely Nintendo could have. For me, its the most disappointing aspect of the 3DS.

Tbh., from a mere technical point of view I was already slightly disappointed with the 3DS' hardware design back at E3 2010. I'm not missing the second analog pad, but with mobile phones having very large screens I thought the 3DS' top screen should at least fill the complete upper lit and have a substantially higher resolution.

With having to render at twice the effective resolution for the 3D and everything, that might have been overkill for a device the size of the DSLite, but it'd be nice to have. I guess there's a reason the PSP2 has the size of a brick.

Edited by Burny

Tbh., from a mere technical point of view I was already slightly disappointed with the 3DS' hardware design back at E3 2010. I'm not missing the second analog pad, but with mobile phones having very large screens I thought the 3DS' top screen should at least fill the complete upper lit and have a substantially higher resolution.

Totally agree with these points. 800/400x240 and 320x240 just seem a bit puny to me in this day and age, especially considering that was my main complaint with the original DS (which was 256x192). This is more, but is it enough more?

Totally agree with these points. 800/400x240 and 320x240 just seem a bit puny to me in this day and age, especially considering that was my main complaint with the original DS (which was 256x192). This is more, but is it enough more?

Well I had no complaints about the size of the screens when I played it last weekend - everything seemed fine.

If anything, you won't care much.

I mean when I played this, not once did the thought ever occur to me that the screen was to small. You were to 'in the game' to notice to be honest.

With the system's power I'm glad the screen isn't any bigger, it's about as big as it can be without the resolution looking like shit on it and I'd rather it was pushing more detail in games than doing a slightly greater resolution.

I get the feeling due to the tech screen size is probably relative to price more so than usual so perhaps if we were talking an inch bigger overall, we could be knocking a good bit more onto the price.

Well, that's cool. Maybe the extra graphical power and resolution hit that sweet spot. All the screenshots and videos look really good, which is something I thought was missing from the original DS, right from the beginning.

The reason I mentioned resolution specifically, is because that will stay the same. I quite expect a bigger-screened version of the 3DS to appear sooner or later, and I will not complain about that, as the DSi XL vastly improved the DS experience for me.

That video has reminded me of the one thing I was disappointed by - the stylus.

I don't have the biggest hands in the world but even when extended it still felt a bit small, I really think they could have made it longer. It's also feels pretty damn cheap. The videos and images make it look metal/solid/high quality and like it would have some decent weight to it but it was none of those, plasticy, light, cheap, just really disappointing when compared to everything else.

Well, while I was a bit disappointed, I think the screen is fine. With their current hardware design philosophy, Nintendo is bound to make compromises whatever they do. Lower resolution means they can get away with a more low-end graphics chip while still producing graphics with an acceptable quality. Near Gamecube level graphics with a bit of advanced shaders is fine by me and I don't expect mobile games to deliver cinematic experiences. Otherwise I'd be totally drooling over the PSP2, which, as it stands, leaves me rather cold. ;)

The only thing that I'm really disappointed with in terms of the screen, is it's resolution in comparison to the DS' one. The resolution is larger, but less than 2 times the DS' one. That means DS games won't scale naturally, so the image quality will suffer.

Edited by Burny

Higher resolution / wider aspect ratio screen and second analog pad won't be among them though. Clashes too much with backwards compatibility.
How would a second analogue [and yet keeping all the other buttons] have an effect on backwards compatibility?

How would a second analogue [and yet keeping all the other buttons] have an effect on backwards compatibility?

That one would have an issue with err...forwards compatibility.

Note how many full retail games were DSi exclusive....wasn't many was it? In fact, was it any, at all?

That's because developers obviously didn't want to alienate people with DS phats/DS Lites.

If there was a second analogue, developers would WANT to put it to full use and design games around it.

Now obviously I guess they could just advertise that as an "exclusive feature" to a revision and have a gimped touchscreen control alternative for people with the regular system, but I'm willing to bet that would mean less effort would go into making the touch screen mode any good and hence the games on the revision would be far superior.

To be honest after typing this though I realise this doesn't really hold up as a good reason for why they wouldn't include a second analogue in a revision as from a corporate perspective what I said may be seen as positive, but it is something that would at least be taken into consideration.

Note how many full retail games were DSi exclusive....wasn't many was it? In fact, was it any, at all?

I think that Face Training game is DSi exclusive.

Near Gamecube level graphics with a bit of advanced shaders is fine by me and I don't expect mobile games to deliver cinematic experiences. Otherwise I'd be totally drooling over the PSP2, which, as it stands, leaves me rather cold. ;)

Nah, I don't expect a cinematic experience either. I just want things to look sharp.

Pretty:D

Does that mean we get Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Metroid and Pikmin AR minigames?

Does that mean we get Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Metroid and Pikmin AR minigames?

Ask Reggie:kiss:

Well, time to avoid all the details on the new AR cards. Not spoiling anything till I play it for myself.