NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Yeah graphics are very disappointing so far, especially when you consider the amount of ram the thing has behind it. I'm even more frustrated by the fact that SSFIV was only running at 30fps during 3d mode :/

What console has brought the best graphics at launch?

Yeah graphics are very disappointing so far, especially when you consider the amount of ram the thing has behind it. I'm even more frustrated by the fact that SSFIV was only running at 30fps during 3d mode :/
I'd say it's more frustrating as opposed to dissapointing. Because we know the thing has has awesome power, it's just the 3D effects take up so much of it. I just hope some developers do try games that don't use the 3D, because there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just look at it as the next DS with brilliant graphics, with 3D there if you want to add something extra depending on the game, but knowing the graphics will take a knock.

What console has brought the best graphics at launch?

Everyone knows the visual quality of games will improve.

I think the issue though is the low quantity of launch games that "stand out" visually despite the machine's power being touted. Is anything even close to Resident Evil? The fighters like SFIV and DOA are pretty much the next best thing.

Also, not a single first party game is doing anything particularly impressive. Yes, Nintendogs has a nice fur effect. So did Starfox Adventures and it had good environments to go with it.

On Nintendo's side I think the problem is that they're playing it safe in terms of making sure the game runs just as well in 3D as it does in 2D. Third party developers are more willing to have the trade-off, use 2D mode for higher framerates and better visuals, but Nintendo aren't likely to want many people to think "Oh I better turn the game to 2D so it runs better" since they're REALLY pushing the 3D.

I do wish the machine was more powerful though, simply so this trade off was pretty much a non-issue.

The other annoying thing visually though is some third parties once again seem to put a lot less effort in than they did for the PSP launch, e.g. Namco with Ridge Racer.

I wouldn't mind the poor graphics if the screen was semi-decent, but there are way better screens out there atm and they're only going to get better over time. I get that the 3D effect takes away some of the power but they couldn't maybe given the thing more power surely? Static backgrounds in SSFIV? Eugh, no. Hell, they could lower the graphics and try not to push the thing so hard if it meant non-static backgrounds and 60fps. Remember Guiles Stage in SF2 with the chick waving in the background? Fucking love it :D I wouldn't mind IF the 3D effect had no negative performance on the console, bit if it takes up a lot of power and especially battery life, it kinda makes me think they're rushing it a bit (like bringing a system out with a main feature that hampers the system somewhat). Atleast the 3D PS3 games I've played haven't caused performance problems (though admittedly that's like 2 games). I guess the key thing will be how much people use the 3D; will people keep using it after the initial wow factor goes?

As for launch games that look stunning, the PSP had some gorgeous stuff running at it (Ridge Racer wow'd the hell out of me). Gamecube with Luigi's Mansiona and Rogue Squadron (was this launch or a few weeks after?) blew my mind when I saw them, better than most PS2 stuff i'd seen at the time.

On Nintendo's side I think the problem is that they're playing it safe in terms of making sure the game runs just as well in 3D as it does in 2D. Third party developers are more willing to have the trade-off, use 2D mode for higher framerates and better visuals, but Nintendo aren't likely to want many people to think "Oh I better turn the game to 2D so it runs better" since they're REALLY pushing the 3D.

True. I doubt we'll be seeing any games from Nintendo with extra effects, although if they at least run smoother, I'll be happy. Nintendo aren't scared of having a bit of slowdown in a game like Spirit Tracks, for example, so hopefully the 3D version of anything will be the one to push the system, and the 2D version is the one that runs perfectly.

I wouldn't mind the poor graphics if the screen was semi-decent, but there are way better screens out there atm and they're only going to get better over time.

Too right. Ever since the 3DS was unveiled, the screen size and resolution was the thing that seemed behind the times to me. I mean, the Nintendo DS had poor graphics, but the bigger screen of the DSi XL was a revelation. Handhelds need that.

My attitude to the graphics in general is that they're good and what I expected. They're a full generation on from the DS (which was sub-N64; this is probably slightly sub-GameCube), so fair enough. I would guess the 3D adds extra expense for the consumer, rather than limiting the graphical clout Nintendo would have put in.

I said "Are you getting a 3DS" and he said something along the lines of "No I like my consoles to last more than 3-5 hours?" I retorted with "Like the PSP2 which has the same battery, and melts...?"

Very well played sir.

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

Because of the 3DS and the PSP2, I suspect a rise in the amount of portable USB chargers (essentially a rechargeable battery that you can use to charge up other devices).

Because of the 3DS and the PSP2, I suspect a rise in the amount of portable USB chargers (essentially a rechargeable battery that you can use to charge up other devices).

I have one of those USB cables from GAME that has several ends on it per console and its a godsend!!!!! I dont have to worry about taking chargers with me when I go to my boyfriends :) just charge through his laptop. I've not seen them for a while though.

I have one of those USB cables from GAME that has several ends on it per console and its a godsend!!!!! I dont have to worry about taking chargers with me when I go to my boyfriends :) just charge through his laptop. I've not seen them for a while though.

I mean these things:

idowell-charger.jpg

I mean these things:

idowell-charger.jpg

Yeah I know, I was just saying :)

I had one like that for my phone, but then I got a smart phone >_< so now I has no connector for it... d'oh

Who was it on here again I am meeting in Bristol to show me the way? Apparently its at a HMV in Bristol according to ONM. Is this true?

For those interested (read: killer_kirby), the Australian event just happened.

-$349AUD (220GBP)

-March 31st, 2011.

-Black and Blue

For those interested (read: killer_kirby), the Australian event just happened.

-$349AUD (220GBP)

-March 31st, 2011.

-Black and Blue

Well that doesn't sound too bad. Does anybody know how much it will cost in continental Europe by the way? I would assume that it is more than £230

Well that doesn't sound too bad. Does anybody know how much it will cost in continental Europe by the way? I would assume that it is more than £230

Actually, it's less. It's averaging at around €250 which is £210

nevermind ONM got it wrong about HMV

BUT i did get an email back confirming they want me to write for them. Yay!

Anyone know if you can download standard DSiWare software, along with 3DSWare software on the console? Never upgraded to a DSi and would like to play some of those Art Style games.

Anyone know if you can download standard DSiWare software, along with 3DSWare software on the console? Never upgraded to a DSi and would like to play some of those Art Style games.

Good question.... to which I have no answer.

Yes you can.

So I already have my ticket for the event this weekend by signing up via Club Nintendo, but I got an e-mail and I think this is an invite from ONM now. Think i can get away with going to both? :heh:

Might try and put down for another time straight after the one I already have, get some extra hands on time.

iPhone-style Home button

I thought it was more like the Wii Home Button with more features? The iPhone home button shuts down the game and goes to the default device menu.

:D ONM ARE GIVING ME A PRESS PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOP!

oh and I won a competition to meet My Chemical Romance tomorrow....

so I'm probably the happiest girl alive right now.

Even though I have my ticket to the Glasgow event on Saturday, I'm gonna give it a miss, mainly because it'll cost too much to get over there for what could be only 20 minutes play. And if I'm honest, as much as I would like to go hands on with it, I'm by no means in a rush to do so and can happily wait until I pick it up at launch.

There's also the issue of a report I haven't started which is due at the beginning of next week. Woops :heh:

So apparently this Press pass means...I CAN HAVE EXTRA TIME! :D omg I'm so lucky.

Although I have a friend coming with me and I dont know what to do with him :(

Although I have a friend coming with me and I dont know what to do with him :(

Leave him in the car with the windows slightly down. Problem Solved. : peace:

Leave him in the car with the windows slightly down. Problem Solved. : peace:

>_< going by train. On our way up I'll have to ask him if its ok for me to go in early/stay later.