NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I'd wager the more likely reason is that you're looking at the touch screen from a different angle than you would look at the top screen.

The angle wouldn't be too much of a problem, equally the touching of a 3D screen isn't too bad either. The main issue with having two 3D screens would be the amount of refocussing your eyes would need to do when playing, I think you'd get a pretty epic headache very quickly in that situation.

It really should be. But that might be wishful thinking. The japanese price translates to 300 USD, as far as I know. I fear we can count ourselves lucky, if it's an lower than 300€ over here.

Nintendo probably thinks they can get away with it and I wouldn't be surprised if they can...

If it is 300 dollars it'll probably be 300 euros, even though euros are worth more... But that always happens.

I suspect it will be 250 dollars since America always has the lowest prices. So it will be 250 euros too.

For example the DSi XL currently costs $218 in Japan. It costs $169.99 in the US and 169.99 euros here.

I didn't know Pro Evo 3D was announced?!?!?!

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/2105570pzzssgt0usr30xs.jpg

God I can't wait for this device! Need to start saving in a big way!

I remember seeing it on a list around the time the 3DS was unveiled.. but I definitely didn't know that we had a scan :eek:

I hope it has a control method that uses the touch screen to play it in a similar way to the Wii version as well as a traditional method :smile: Whatever the case, I can't wait for the 3DS :yay:

If it is 300 dollars it'll probably be 300 euros, even though euros are worth more... But that always happens.

I don't think it will be that expensive, neither in the US, nor here. It's the same as the Wii's launch price in Japan, so I expect it to be the Wii's launch price over here. And that was 250€ including Wii sports.

Which, I think, is still too expensive for a dedicated gaming handheld with little to no other use, even if it has OoT in 3D.

Haha.. "tast" :laughing:

That actually reminded me of a similar spelling mistake in Super Street Fighter IV over, coincidentally, the same word.. except in that, it was "tate" :indeed:

Well, at least he thought 10.000 BC was nothing special:laughing:

That's where you're wrong. 10.000 Yen are worth 90 Euros.

...Individual game price, confirmed!

If the cartridges are 8GB, what would be the point in limiting them to 2GB (as rumoured)? I could understand limiting processing speed (as with the PSP) until models with a more efficient battery are out, but not storage.

If the initial cartridges are manufactured with 2GB capacity, then they might want to limit the production costs. At least until the manufacturing cost drops below a certain level.

Purely speculation, but you never know with Nintendo. It seems all their cartridge based systems started out with smaller cartridges.

Anyway, 2 GB is still quite a large amount of memory. I don't see how most 3DS games will even scratch that. The only thing I'm wondering about is, if MGS 3DS will fit into that. To think that 3DS retail games might take up as much memory as single disc XBox games...

There must have been a typo somewhere and it's actually gigabit. 8GB cartridges on a handheld actually blows my mind.

Even 2GB, at the resolution of the system, should really be more than enough as long as the developers are optimising their games well.

I really hope a decent storage space means we wont have to worry about gimped, lazy audio in most games this time around.

There must have been a typo somewhere and it's actually gigabit. 8GB cartridges on a handheld actually blows my mind.

Even 2GB, at the resolution of the system, should really be more than enough as long as the developers are optimising their games well.

I really hope a decent storage space means we wont have to worry about gimped, lazy audio in most games this time around.

Exactly my thoughts. This happened last generation as well.

Shamefully enough, the same sources are the ones reporting the wrong facts..

Yeah, I don't see why people haven't learned yet that Nintendo measures their carts in Gb, not GB.

Anyway, North American (at the least) date coming January 19th. So that'll be a.... April launch :heh:

Anyway, North American (at the least) date coming January 19th. So that'll be a.... April launch :heh:

Yeah Nintendo of Europe/France are having one on the same day. Cutting it close to release date aren't they (hopefully)?

Yeah, I don't see why people haven't learned yet that Nintendo measures their carts in Gb, not GB.

They have in the past, but I don't see how this would make much sense nowadays. Their official e3-info site states the inital maximum size is "2GB" (in uppercase letters):

3dse3spec.png

I can't find an official specification for DS or GB cartridges from Nintendo atm., but Giga-/Megabit are usually written as Gb/Mb.

And looking at what we know, I think that they've started to actually use the more common memory measure this time:

2Gb correspond to ~250MB and we already know, that there will be

. The graphics didn't look like they were terribly downscaled in comparison to the PS2 version, and in addition there was normal mapping. The number of assets (sound + models / textures) in the game is huge and no matter what compression magic Konami works, it's a bit hard to imagine they will squeeze a 2 Disc (?) game into a 250MB, 500MB or even 1GB cartridge with added normal mapping.

If "2GB" actually means what it stands for, than MG3DS would make sense. If by "2GB" they mean "2Gb", that would change the spec of the cartridges from "impressive" to quite disappointing. Also: Konami would be wizards.

If I remember correctly, there is some DS game in Japan, that already uses the maximum capacity of DS cartridges (512 MB), which would then be more than the maximum space available on early 3DS cartridges. With higher texture resolution, higher sound quality etc. it just doesn't make much sense to produce cartridges that are that much smaller than the maximum size of the DS ones, although the majority of early 3DS games would probably be perfectly fine with that.

I just don't see, how they would only double the maximum available space for cartridges (DS: 4Gb, 3DS 8Gb (vs. GB?)) six years after the release of the DS, when they produce a system that is capable of rendering roughly Gamecube/Wii-level graphics.

Edited by Burny

The "2GB max at launch" fits in with the 8GB rumour. To the consumer, 8GB SD cards are £7. It wouldn't surprise me if they were pennies to the manufacturers.

Yeah Nintendo of Europe/France are having one on the same day. Cutting it close to release date aren't they (hopefully)?

We found out about the DS's European release date in February, if I remember correctly. It came out a month later.

Rumour time.

Earlier today we told you about the ability to preorder the 3DS at select GameStop locations. We say 'select locations' because some GameStop retailers weren't able to find the SKU to put a reserve on. The good news is, you should be able to head to any GameStop in the states and get a preorder now, as the reserve SKU has been leaked out. If your local GameStop can't find the listing, tell them to enter '020132' for a SKU code. You should be set to drop your $50 then!

Also stemming from the GameStop preorders is an interesting rumor. As usual, it's one that should be taken with a grain of salt. We're hearing that there might be a chance of a preorder bundle that is going to come with some Zelda title. Of course, many of us would think that title to be the Ocarina of Time remake, but I just don't see Nintendo doing that. If that bundle SKU does actually exist, be prepared for it to be a bit pricer than just the 3DS SKU alone.

OOT as a launch title = Me :bouncy:

The article's author can't see Nintendo doing that? They launched the DS with Super Mario 64 (although that wasn't a bundle). They're playing it pretty safe in terms of critical reception and the market, since it's one of the most well-received, best-selling games ever.

I can see a remade Ocarina of Time being a major selling-point for the 3DS.

We find out more information at the press conference on the January 19th, 2011, in Amsterdam.

The 3DS is in an interesting space, many casual gamers have moved on to smartphones so Nintendo rally need to pull something out of their sleeves to get the 3DS moving so I'm expecting Zelda and Starfox really early and Mario Kart in time for Christmas, the former will attract Nintendo's fans while MK is sure to do the business in the more casual space.