NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

3-5 hours battery?

Yup, that settles it. I'm definately waiting out for the redesign.

On max brightness yeah, but are you honestly thinking that a redesign is going to give much more battery life?

They said from the start that it was always going to be lower.

On max brightness yeah, but are you honestly thinking that a redesign is going to give much more battery life?

They said from the start that it was always going to be lower.

Not just max brightness, I'm reading that it's 5 hours TOPS.

It's not just the battery. I decided to wait it out as soon as it was revealed at E3. Even then they said that it wasn't the final design, and when the final product was shown off a few months later, all that had changed was the slider colour. It's clear that a redesign isn't far off. It just seems pretty bulky to me.

And now seeing the battery life and the awful launch line up (I can't see the USA/European line up being any different) is even more of a reason.

Plus, I want a purple one to surface.

Maybe the shitty battery is good though in regards to giving your eyes a break every so often.

Edited by or else you will DIE

And now seeing the battery life and the awful launch line up (I can't see the USA/European line up being any different) is even more of a reason.

Plus, I want a purple one to surface.

Maybe the shitty battery is good though in regards to giving your eyes a break every so often.

I'm positive the launch line up is going to be a bit different from what Japan has, although it is a bit weak. But the battery won't be terribly better in future redesigns, and it's roughly the same size as a DSlite.

Something gives me the impression that the battery wont be going up significantly for a long time. I think Nintendo are very likely to respond to all complaints on battery life with comments about how only 30 minute play intervals are recommended anyway and how you can dock the system after that.

I can only hope the 3-5 hours specifically focuses on brightest settings. I like to play handhelds on long transatlantic plane flights. I have breaks every so often yes, but I'd like it to at least holdout for a good 5 hours of game time during the course of the whole flight.

Edited by James McGeachie

Metal Gear Solid Stage = :/

"Hai

ANO

Hai

ANO

ANO

ANO

Hai"

14:16 -- The presentation is over. And yes, Matsuhana didn't really say anything.

14:14 -- He promises they'll use the camera, gyro, touch sensor and other areas for the game.

14:13 -- He hints that there will be some in-game use for the camera -- taking pictures in the game and in the real world.

14:11 -- Next up, the 3D camera.

14:11 -- He just says that they're thinking about ways to use this area, although he didn't confirm anything. Kojima previously said that Street Pass would be put to use.

14:09 -- The MC asks about Matsuhana's opinion on Street Pass and Spot Pass.

Kid Icarus in 45 minutes.

User over at neogaf mentions this:

Regarding battery for 3ds, here is the spec for it: 3-5 hours for 3ds, and 5-8 hours for ds games, with the footnote:

The battery life varies depending on the brightness of the screen

The approximate battery life. May be less depending on operating conditions.

5-8 hours for ds games is on par w/ the battery life for ds lite spec on highest brightness, btw. dsi has even less life @ 3-4 hours.

DSi

add_chargeLast.png

Note that the approx battery life is there for all ds specs because of battery degradation. They however did not post battery life for separated brightness settings, like the previous ds.

I suspect this is so because you can (possibly) change the brightness on the fly w/ 3ds (home button) while this is not possible previously. Thus they added the line for battery life depending on brightness.

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

Hmmm the launch line up seems pretty weak to me. If it stays the same for us, which I doubt it will, I probably wont get one on release. Although they have Zelda down as Spring so......

Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (5,800 yen/$70)

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (4,800 yen/$58)

Samurai Warriors Chronicle (6,090 yen/$73)

Tobidasu! Puzzle Bobble 3D (4,980 yen/$60)

Nintendogs + Cats (Toy Poodle & New Friends, French Bulldog & New Friends, Shiba & New Friends, 4,800 yen each)

Ridge Racer 3D (6,090 yen/$73)

Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (5,040 yen/$61)

Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (5,980 yen/$72)

Mh, a new Layton, a 3d-make of a highly popular brawler and an the next iteration of a highly successful expanded audience game. Doesn't sound particularly bad. The converted prices seem astronomical however. Were DS games an japan always that much more expensive than in the US and they just slapped on another 1000 yen?

Not seeing all the high profile stuff announced so far in that list will be a good thing in the long run, I think. Some of the games already announced can't have been in development much more than a year and if they released alongside the 3DS, they'd be rushed badly.

Oh, can anyone understand what they're saying in this OS trailer? A lot of it is self explanatory, but is there anything new?

This is somewhat worrying. I was hoping at least for Zelda to be a launch title

I'm a little concerned about the launch lineup, but at the end of the day, as long as some of the bigger games are out in the first few months, I'll be happy. Probably wouldn't be able to afford (or have enough time to play) lots of big games straight away anyway.

Besides, the US/UK launch titles may well be different, if it's out a month later.

What worries me the most is Nintendo still hasn't said anything about how the online will work, and the video of the OS doesn't suggest it's going to be a particularly predominant faeture to the machine. I guess we'll find out more at the January 19th event, though.

That said, I love augmented reality games

I can see us getting Zelda as a launch title though.

What worries me the most is Nintendo still hasn't said anything about how the online will work, and the video of the OS doesn't suggest it's going to be a particularly predominant faeture to the machine. I guess we'll find out more at the January 19th event, though.

Well, the online system was no focus at all in that video, but I hope the 3DS's OS isn't as static as the Wii's, so it might be extended with features during it's lifetime. With Street Fighter in the launch lineup though, some information about the system should be due by now. If anything, they will want to be able to lock out flash cards with updates.

If their new online system will be as fucked up as their current ones though... If it's the friendcode bullshit with no means of communication all over again, they can honestly stick their new Mario Kart wherever they want to. :mad:

There is one thing about that OS video I linked above, that I can't remember seeing anywhere else and cannot interpret. At

There is a table on the upper screen showing information / medals (crowns ?) for different "channels". Anyone an idea what this is about? Edited by Burny

I can understand why Zelda isn't a launch title or why there isn't anything bigger from Nintendo. They're clearly wanting to give third parties a good start on the console so we don't get quickly dwindling support from them like we've seen with the Wii (although in some cases it hasn't been dwindling support but rather a drop in the quality of the games begin released by third parties).

But yeh, the line-up will be different for the US and Europe. I guess there'll be another Nintendo game in there (probably Steel Diver so don't get overly excited) but we'll probably get a bigger line-up with Western Devs looking to get their games done for our launch in March rather than the Japanese one in February. So stuff from EA (FIFA, Madden, The Sims 3D, My Garden), THQ, etc will probably turn up on our line-up.

This is a really weak line up. Really, really weak. I'm not sure anything really appeals to 'the early adopter' here. A 3D update of Layton, a 3D remake of Street Fighter 4 and a 3D update to a pet sim. A machine topping the £200 mark - with an additional £35 for a game is not going to appeal to the same audience who'll be buying PES and or Nintendorks+twats. There is just no killer app here; or in the announced titles so far.

This will not break records at launch or beyond.

Am I preordering? Bugger, yes I probably will, although i'm not sure what i'll be playing.

With the battery life how it is, I'm not so fond of the charging cradle any more. Hopefully there's a standard charging plug so you can play while the console is plugged in.

I am intrigued about the Augmented Reality stuff and am glad some cards for AR come with it

I do have the 3DS can be played while charging, but based on the design of the charging cradle, it looks likely

The battery life is slightly disappointing. I'm guessing the 'Lite' version will solve that? :p

Well, I've just put my pre-order in, despite battery and launch game worries. ;)

Is the cradle a wireless charging unit? It looks that way, but I doubt Nintendo would offer that.

Well, I've just put my pre-order in, despite battery and launch game worries. ;)

Where? Instore? Online?

Am I preordering? Bugger, yes I probably will, although i'm not sure what i'll be playing.

Pokemon Black/White of course! ;)

Where? Instore? Online?

Instore at Gamestation - my wife and I were the first two on their list (we were in the queue behind a woman trying to buy a Flash cartridge for the DS, and who seemed to be getting very annoyed that nowhere seemed to be selling them!)

Instore at Gamestation - my wife and I were the first two on their list (we were in the queue behind a woman trying to buy a Flash cartridge for the DS, and who seemed to be getting very annoyed that nowhere seemed to be selling them!)

She must also have been annoyed that she could not hop over the counter and throttle the advisor to death (pesky law and order!)

Seems unlikely we'll get Layton for launch, unless they are going to release the games out of order, so hopefully we'll be getting Starfox or Zelda or something instead. Otherwise it's a not great launch up. I'm only really interested in Layton from that list, an that's not exactly a great 3D game.