NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Someone needs to pin down a Nintendo exec and grill them on whether there are plans for a redesign down the line. It amazes me how journalists get access to people who know so much yet ask the questions no-one want answering.

I dont think they'd answer that question anyway.

Dont forget we'll get a few western titles in our launch line up aswell as most of the Japanese line up. I fully expect OOT to make it for our launch aswell.

I dont think they'd answer that question anyway.

Dont forget we'll get a few western titles in our launch line up aswell as most of the Japanese line up. I fully expect OOT to make it for our launch aswell.

Assassin's Creed, for example, is a likely launch title

Someone needs to pin down a Nintendo exec and grill them on whether there are plans for a redesign down the line. It amazes me how journalists get access to people who know so much yet ask the questions no-one want answering.

Well, they will also not answer that

"Sure, I'm marketing the new launch which we're putting money into, but in a year or so we'll release an improved one"

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

You can glean a surprising amount from the tone of a politician if you ask the right questions. I imagine a video game company exec who is used to such stool-watery questions like "SO HOW'S THE ZELDA COMIN' ALONG?" might be even more inclined to let something slip with a bit of force. Obviously they won't confirm a redesign if it's in the pipeline, but they might end up ruling a quick one out by saying something like "we aren't going down the route we did with DS". Something like that would be very telling.

--

Anyway, the Japanese launch is pretty average, but it could be misleading to take anything from that seeing as we could well get the machine over a month later. Plus, I imagine there will be plenty of titles (even Japanese-developed) made first and foremost for the western market.

But yes, by staggering big first-party names like Mario Kart and Paper Mario throughout the year, it's crystal clear they're giving 3rd parties more room than they can ask for. Maybe Capcom will actually take advantage of some early momentum and start making MORE THAN ONE original game for the platform. More Revelations, less Mercenaries, if you will.

The battery life doesn't bother me if it can be played whilst charging, but the launch line-up looks very poor. I was keen to pre-order a 3DS, but I don't think I will if there's nothing I want to play on it at launch. Hopefully Zelda will be available. If not that, then Star Fox, Pilotwings or Paper Mario, but the only 3rd-party game I want is Tales of the Abyss.

Thing is, we already can answer that question with "yes". What mobile device - including Nintendo's handhelds - hasn't had a revision during a two year period since its launch? The more interesting question would be: will Nintendo wait two years before they launch the first revision?

Comparing this

4705635383_feecec1558_b.jpg

and this

tumblr_l43zjm92l01qzp9weo1_400.jpg, I think it is likely this is an inductive charger: the 3DS unit seems only to slip straight down into the cradle, with no way of attaching to a power jack in the cradle. Coupled (no pun intended) with the excessively long charge time (inductive seems to take longer than standard connections), I cannot see any other possibility but an inductive charger (hopefully, not some proprietary tech either). Also, some of the leaked pictures seem to suggest something sits on the back of the 3DS... what if that is an inductive charge battery? I think so.

On the subject of battery life, having a quick scout around the internet, I notice some third parties have developed better batteries for phones - with the 3DS, hopefully, they'll do the same. Three times the battery length... yes, please - i'll happily take a chunkier back.

If opening the 3DS alone will invalidate any guaranty claims again, larger batteries might be hard to sell. 3-5 hours straight gaming is still quite a long time.

Again, concerning stuff to ask when someone pins down a Nintendo exec and grills them on stuff, why not ask these questions if things are still open:

• Is there finally an account based online system (If not, please kick that exec into the balls and kindly ask him to convey the message to Iwata ;) )
  • If there is an account based system: Will you be able to redownload purchased games in the online store if you buy a new system?
  • If there is an account based system: What about a universal friendlist for the account that can be used by games with online functionality?
  • What means of ingame and OS communication are there (with people in a friendlist)?
  • Cross game communication?
  • Will savegames again be written to some flash memory within the game modules or to somewhere on the SD card?
  • Will there be means of patching games?
  • Is there a possibility for DLC?
  • Will the virtual handheld eventually be extended to GBA games?
  • Are the OoT / Lylat Wars remakes retail or download games?

Edited by Burny

If opening the 3DS alone will invalidate any guaranty claims again, larger batteries might be hard to sell. 3-5 hours straight gaming is still quite a long time.

Again, concerning stuff to ask when someone pins down a Nintendo exec and grills them on stuff, why not ask these questions if things are still open:

• Is there finally an account based online system (If not, please kick that exec into the balls and kindly ask him to convey the message to Iwata ;) )
  • If there is an account based system: What about a universal friendlist for the account that can be used by games with online functionally
  • What means of ingame and OS communication are there (with people in a friendlist)?
  • Cross game communication?
  • Will savegames again be written to some flash memory within the game modules or to somewhere on the SD card?
  • Will there be means of patching games?
  • Is there a possibility for DLC?
  • Will the virtual handheld eventually be extended to GBA games?

The lack of facts about their online setup is very disturbing, especially with the launch so close. I'm praying they have learnt from the Wii and got rid of friendcodes and gives us a universal account.

The lack of facts about their online setup is very disturbing, especially with the launch so close. I'm praying they have learnt from the Wii and got rid of friendcodes and gives us a universal account.

StreetPass and SpotPass Mode

The system supports multiplayer gameplay via a local wireless connection or over the Internet. Expanding upon the connectivity of the Nintendo DS, the Nintendo 3DS features an "always on" background connectivity system that trademarks suggested was named "CrossPass", which can automatically seek and connect to wireless network nodes such as Wi-Fi hotspots, sending and downloading information in the background while in sleep mode or while playing a game.

In Nintendo's September 29th conference, the confirmed Western names of the CrossPass Tag Mode service would be StreetPass and SpotPass, with SpotPass being the ability for the 3DS to seek Wi-Fi signals and automatically download content while in sleep mode and StreetPass being the passive communication between 3DS systems held by users, an example being the sharing of Mii avatars.

One application being considered is functionality to "automatically acquire magazine and newspaper articles", similar to networked e-book reader applications.

The background connectivity will allows users to exchange software content regardless of what software is currently in the console.

Sharing content is stored in a "data slot" in the console. Using this data slot, Nintendo 3DS users can readily share and exchange content for multiple games at the same time, whenever they are connected, even when playing unrelated games.

Using the console's background connectivity, a Nintendo 3DS in StreetPass Mode can automatically discover other 3DS units within range, establish a connection, and exchange content for mutually-played games, all transparently and without requiring any user input, even when the console is dormant. For example, in Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition, if the user passes someone with the same software, he has a battle to collect trophies from the other player.

It can be customized to fit the user's preferences, including opting out of it altogether for selected software. An included cradle allows for faster downloads and uploads, and will act as a charger.

We'll be finding out new details come the 19th anyway, so i'd assume we'll be told a bit more about the online around then.

But give a console friend code instead of the naff games. Was it EA or some 3rd party that said they were using that for the 3DS? SO fingers crossed it's just like that all round.

Also, some of the leaked pictures seem to suggest something sits on the back of the 3DS... what if that is an inductive charge battery? I think so.

The back of the unit doesn't look very special:

2aig0w2.jpg

Also, there seem to be metal connections on the charging stand (look on the top right of the bit sticking out the top), with the button turning it on/off:

21njn1d.jpg

From those, I would theorise that the charging cradle would work by sending the energy through that metal-looking plate around where the 3DS Card slot is - I can't see anything else around that area for it to connect to.

Also, I think that the slot just to the right (if you look at the unit from the back) may be for a standard charging cable (hopefully the one that connects to the charging cradle can plug straight into the 3DS).

Japan Software:

February 26 2011

Winning Eleven 3DSoccer

Street Fighter IV 3D EDITION

Warriors Chronicle

Tobidasu! 3D Puzzle

nintendogs + cats

Ridge Racer 3D

Combat of Giants ™: Dinosaurs 3D

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Spring 2011

Cubic Ninja (tentative)

ASPHALT 3D: NITRO RACING

Oblivion Knights and Dokutarotorekku

Professional Baseball Spirits 2011

BLAZBLUE CONTINUUM SHIFT II

Space Force Training (tentative)

FISH ON (tentative)

Resident Evil 3D The Mercenaries

DEAD OR ALIVE Dimensions

3D cube Syanhai

Super Black Fisshingusoru

Super Monkey Ball 3D

NARUTO-Naruto Shippuuden Ninja Emaki solid! Strongest Shinobi Battle!

EST (tentative)

Fishing (tentative)

Han Hao mature 三位動乱戦創紀 Bikkuriman

STEEL DIVER

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Pilotwings Resort

Sudoku puzzles and three of Pazurubaraeti Nicoli

DECA SPORTS 3D

GUNDAM THE 3D BATTLE

Tales of the Abyss

2011 Baseball Famista

One Piece Unlimited SP

Animarurizoto (tentative)

Tank Beat 3 (tentative)

Speed-reading the first three trains Unou (tentative)

Tom Clancy ™ 's Ghost Recon ® Shadow Wars

Tom Clancy ™ 's Splinter Cell ® 3D

Driver Renegade

Rabbids Time Travel

Rannabauto for Nintendo 3DS (tentative)

Summer 2011

Surprise! Tobidasu! Magic Pen (tentative)

Earthpedia (tentative)

Pichiremonaidorudebyu (tentative)

Grand strategy for Nintendo 3DS (tentative)

AXIS ™ Tetris (tentative)

Crow 3D (tentative)

Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono. 3D (tentative)

Shin Megami Tensei series

Etrian Odyssey series

Persona

SRPG by Alpha Unit

Resident Evil Revelations

Rockman DASH 3 PROJECT

Dynasty Warriors (tentative)

NINJA Gaiden (tentative)

KINGDOM HEARTS 3D (tentative)

Chocobo Racing 3D (tentative)

Dragon Quest

Final Fantasy

SONIC (tentative)

Haneda air traffic controller I (provisional)

Licca

Animal Crossing (Working Title)

Paper Mario (Working Title)

Mario Kart (tentative)

3D Ace Combat (Working Title)

Super Robot series (tentative)

Dragon Ball series (tentative)

Pac-Man and Galaga (tentative)

Harvest Moon 3D (tentative)

Time Travelers

Ace Attorney VS Professor Layton

Hopefully, if inductive charging is confirmed, it'll work with any inductive plate. I'd rather thrown my tech on a plate as I walk through the door than have an individual charger.

In-box

Nintendo 3DS body

Nintendo 3DS charger stand

AC adapter for Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo 3DS dedicated stylus

SD Memory Card (2 GB)

AR cards (6), reflecting the play outside the camera using the compatible software.

Quick Start Guide

Instruction Manual

Guarantee

Do people not see that it's 5 hours max on the highest brightness? Does anyone even use that? If you go down a few levels you could probably get like 8 or 10 hours.

Do Level-5 have their own little bit on the 10th? Time Travellers, pl0x.

Yeah they do.

times.png

Tales game OH EM GEE yay!

Not a single Tales game on the DS made it outside Japan... I'd be surprised if this changes with the 3DS, sad as it may be :cry:

I still wish Tales of Hearts could get a translation.

Oh and Tales of Graces, god damnit

So.... great. We didn't find out anything new about the 3DS apart from estimates on its battery life. Nice PR work guys.

Hope the 19th has something to show for it and it better be something special. At the moment I have serious worries for anything online or for the general OS. I would have thought Nintendo would be screaming to show us all of this stuff especially with the launch so close.

I'm actively de-hyping myself for this system now. I'm cynically going to expect Nintendo not to deliver on their vision as frankly I don't think that they did on the Wii. Would rather be realistic and not waste my money.

So.... great. We didn't find out anything new about the 3DS apart from estimates on its battery life. Nice PR work guys.

Hope the 19th has something to show for it and it better be something special. At the moment I have serious worries for anything online or for the general OS. I would have thought Nintendo would be screaming to show us all of this stuff especially with the launch so close.

I'm actively de-hyping myself for this system now. I'm cynically going to expect Nintendo not to deliver on their vision as frankly I don't think that they did on the Wii. Would rather be realistic and not waste my money.

Seeing as this was only a display to the public, no news was really going to come from this anyway. News is coming on the 19th as they've already said. All the weekend was, nothing more, nothing less.

So.... great. We didn't find out anything new about the 3DS apart from estimates on its battery life. Nice PR work guys..

• Japans game prices
  • Japans software games list
  • Hardware & Internal Software
  • Japans Line-up
  • Hands-on demos for the Japanese public