NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Well the new psp apparently has a touch screen so i wouldn't be at all surprised, especially with their past track record of copying Nintendo's ideas.

The 3DS will almost certainly out sell it though, even if they try to 1up it.

Well the new psp apparently has a touch screen so i wouldn't be at all surprised, especially with their past track record of copying Nintendo's ideas.

If it has a touch screen it can't have a 3D screen. Unless it uses two screens. And doing that will be a bit too far, even for Sony.

And if it's 3D, it can't really be HD. And if it's not HD, it can't be stupidly overpriced. So that rules that out.

Now watch as Sony dazzles you all a depth slider that changes the settings from HD & Touchscreen to 3D.

Perhaps they'll even make the screen so we can finally see the fourth, fifth and sixth dimensions that Sixaxis can detect.

The 3DS will almost certainly out sell it though, even if they try to 1up it.

And when did Nintendo invent the touch screen? How are they stealing it.

Sony are in a weird spot at the moment, in Japan the best selling system at the moment is well...the PSP surprisingly, and the support is growing for it. everywhere else it's selling like shit, but yeah...at least with Nintendo they can see that Nintendo DS has had it's last breath (sadly) and can launch a new system too bounce off on the success of the Nintendo DS very much similar to the PS2 with the PS1.

And when did Nintendo invent the touch screen? How are they stealing it.

No no, that's not what i meant at all and i didn't say stealing, i said copying but still i was vague.

If you look at a lot of Nintendo's successful controllers/consoles they take a pre-existing idea and make it work better and make it popular.

They made the d-pad popular, the analogue stick, the rumble feature, touch pad, motion controllers etc.

I know they didn't make the touch pad, the first console to use it as far as i know, was the Game.com. Although they might have come up with the rumble idea, but i'm not sure.

Anyway the point i was trying to make was:

-Nintendo uses the d-pad, it becomes popular, others use it

-Nintendo uses analogue sticks and rumble functionality, others use it

-Nintendo uses motion control, suddenly xbox and ps3 have their own versions

Nintendo aren't the be and end all of gaming ideas, but they have made a lot popular.

Sony using some form of control on the BACK of the device is actually very damn innovative. They've copied a lot, but if the rumours are true and you can control the game in some form from the back, they will become the copied.

The way you hold most portables is with your fingers on the back and depending the game, index fingers on the trigger buttons. So this could be pretty innovative, but the whole touch/track pad makes me wonder if this is something that will work..

And if it's 3D, it can't really be HD. And if it's not HD, it can't be stupidly overpriced. So that rules that out.

Is there a way I can automatically thank every one of D_prOdigy's posts? They're all so damn witty.

Nintendo Bets Big on Social DS System

The headline feature of Nintendo Co.'s forthcoming 3DS portable videogame system is the ability to play 3-D games without the need for eyewear, but it is the device's ability to locate other players that may prove critical to its success.

The Japanese company also reported its first interim net loss in seven years, hurt by weakening overseas sales and the strength of the yen. First-half revenue fell 34% to 363.16 billion yen ($4.44 billion) from a year ago.

For Nintendo, which plans to release the 3DS Feb. 26 in Japan before a global launch in March, it is part of an effort to curb the threat from inexpensive social games played on Apple Inc.'s iPhone and cellphones running on Google Inc.'s Android operating system.

While the games on social-network site Facebook or Apple's iTunes store tend to be less sophisticated than those played on a Nintendo hand-held, they allow users to play against friends or challenge strangers from across the world more seamlessly.

Nintendo says one of the new communication tools, StreetPass, finds and connects to a nearby 3DS machine even if the other party is a total stranger. The person doesn't need to be using the 3DS at the time in order to wirelessly link up and share data with another 3DS machine in the vicinity using a Wi-Fi connection.

The idea isn't entirely new. Certain games available on the current Nintendo DS offer a similar function called "Tag Mode" that lets players share game data, such as maps or character information. However, both parties need to be playing the game at the time in order to connect wirelessly from DS to DS. Nintendo said StreetPass offers broader potential for social interaction.

For example, Nintendo has showed a social network-like application called the StreetPass Plaza. On any given day, a 3DS owner may unknowingly cross paths with many other 3DS users. The virtual playpen displays a day's encounters, each as an avatar with some basic but not too revealing information: the person's screen name, the last game they played, when the "pass" took place and how many times the two have come across one another.

In a nod to privacy concerns, Nintendo says users will be able to disable these wireless features if they choose.

At a media event last month, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said the new features "encourage people to make it a habit to carry around the Nintendo 3DS devices wherever they go." Nintendo has forecast that it will sell about four million 3DS hand-helds from Feb. 26 to March 31. The expected price is 25,000 yen ($306).

Akira Uchida, who produces games, said he may incorporate StreetPass into a 3DS version of his popular Japanese dating simulation game LovePlus, for a Konami Corp. unit.

The question remains whether Nintendo can popularize the new communication features without adding a 3G wireless connection to the device. So far, it has resisted committing to 3G, saying it doesn't want 3DS owners to have to pay a monthly fee for mobile connectivity. For the time being, its plan is to add more Wi-Fi hotspots where the 3DS can access the Web for updates, ranking and other information even if the system is dormant.

Jay Defibaugh, equities research director at MF Global FXA Securities in Tokyo, said Nintendo's current solution of Wi-Fi hotspots and machine-to-machine connections don't work as well in the U.S. and Europe, where the population density is lower and public transportation is less frequently used.

"I don't think Nintendo gets the opportunities to catch people congregating in large crowds overseas like they do in Japan. The ultimate solution lies in some form of cellphone connectivity for 3DS," said Mr. Defibaugh.

Nintendo said a second feature called SpotPass connects the 3DS to the Internet via a Wi-Fi connection and then allows the user to play videogames with other people online. Once online, Nintendo can also automatically push new software or provide data such as rankings for specific games.

A developer for head-to-head fighting game "Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition" from Capcom Co., said SpotPass would allow people to fight other users from across the world, while it may also allow users to observe other people fight online to learn new moves or techniques. But an important secondary impact from SpotPass is that it could help Nintendo to slow the piracy problems that have plagued DS software sales. SpotPass will automatically send out 3DS system updates, allowing Nintendo to constantly tweak its system to prevent it from running copied software.

—Juro Osawa contributed to this article.

DSiWare Games Are Transferable to 3DS

765.jpg

Anyone who has spent any amount of money on downloadable games on either of the iterations of the DSi will surely be interested to hear about Nintendo's plan -- if there is one -- to allow gamers to transfer their DSiWare games to the 3DS. Although the process hasn't been detailed in any way, Andriasang brings word that, unlike with the DSi XL, games will be transferable to Nintendo's newest handheld once it's released early next year.

Nintendo didn't offer up any explanation about how the process would work and if the games would be deactivated on the old system. It did, however, offer up the caveat that certain games won't be able to be transferred, and that there will be a limit to the number of times a game can be sent to a different system. The latter point is likely a measure to prevent gamers from sharing the same copy of a downloadable games with other 3DS owners, though it could prove to be a headache for those who go through a number of systems because of technical issues or wanting one of the inevitable 3DS re-releases in a different color.

We'll bring word as soon as we learn more about the DSiWare game transfer process.

Hey admin, solche gut geschrieben Post .. Thnkx für den Austausch von diesem Beitrag! Pretty good Post. Ich stolperte über einen Blog und

Double bot fail?

Spamming an English forum with German stuff. In bad German. ;)

For example, Nintendo has showed a social network-like application called the StreetPass Plaza. On any given day, a 3DS owner may unknowingly cross paths with many other 3DS users. The virtual playpen displays a day's encounters, each as an avatar with some basic but not too revealing information: the person's screen name, the last game they played, when the "pass" took place and how many times the two have come across one another.

Nintendo actually have been trialling a feature like this through Black & White on the DS. When you have the DS on and the C Gear open in the game (it's always on unless you select it not to be, then when you pass by other people, it'll register things and even give you updates about where they are in the game and what they're doing, in real time. For example, if their Tsutarja is getting destroyed, it says so. It's also used to get a number of items in-game

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/cgear.shtml

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/passingsurvey.shtml

Nintendo actually have been trialling a feature like this through Black & White on the DS. When you have the DS on and the C Gear open in the game (it's always on unless you select it not to be, then when you pass by other people, it'll register things and even give you updates about where they are in the game and what they're doing, in real time. For example, if their Tsutarja is getting destroyed, it says so. It's also used to get a number of items in-game

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/cgear.shtml

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/passingsurvey.shtml

It was also with Nintendogs as well, but what really made this feature become a big hit was thanks to Dragon Quest IX with the tag feature of how many hours the other person played completion and gear they were wearing, also allows people to transfer over grotto's/maps as well. Really works well in japan when on a train or near arcade and gaming expo's where people everywhere had them on.

It was also with Nintendogs as well, but what really made this feature become a big hit was thanks to Dragon Quest IX with the tag feature of how many hours the other person played completion and gear they were wearing, also allows people to transfer over grotto's/maps as well. Really works well in japan when on a train or near arcade and gaming expo's where people everywhere had them on.

A friend of mine in Japan has connected with hundreds of players of Black & White through it

Its also not news, was announced at the same time as the 3DS itself :p

Looks like a 3D touch-screen is possible. The Sharp Galapagos 003SH (an Android phone) has a 3D touch screen.

Although I would think that Nintendo didn't do the touch screen for other reasons - wouldn't having your finger on the screen destroy the illusion?

I'd wager the more likely reason is that you're looking at the touch screen from a different angle than you would look at the top screen.

A friend of mine in Japan has connected with hundreds of players of Black & White through it

Not surprised considering that Dragon Quest and Pokemon are religion in Japan. DQIX you won't have much luck with now, considering the fact that there are no more quests to do online for them but for the first 5 months it was easy for people to get over 100 people just walking to work or school.

Either way I love the concept and glad Nintendo are really trying to push it with the 3DS

Although I would think that Nintendo didn't do the touch screen for other reasons - wouldn't having your finger on the screen destroy the illusion?

I remember Nintendo (or maybe someone else) saying that's is the reason why the touch screen isn't 3D at E3.

Anyway the point i was trying to make was:

-Nintendo uses the d-pad, it becomes popular, others use it

-Nintendo uses analogue sticks and rumble functionality, others use it

-Nintendo uses motion control, suddenly xbox and ps3 have their own versions

Nintendo aren't the be and end all of gaming ideas, but they have made a lot popular.

The n64 stick was digital, it didn't allow 360 degrees movement. Sony had two analogue sticks.

If you are talking motion control you could say the eyetoy was first.

I agree on the d-pad.

This goes both ways btw, Nintendo copied dvds, backwards compatibility etc.

This is how competition works, they both improve on each others ideas and it's healthy.

Edited by heroicjanitor

This is how competition works, they both improve on each others ideas and it's healthy.

Hmyes, hmyes. I lol'd.

Hmyes, hmyes. I lol'd.

Yeah that quote was a bit too serious sounding :p Should've just left it at pointing out the other stuff.

Yeah that quote was a bit too serious sounding :p Should've just left it at pointing out the other stuff.

Acknowledgement check:wink:

By the by, I FUCKIN ADORE DEATHNOTE!