NEurope
chairdriver

Random, abstract and often non-sequential thoughts and musings about various issues

I'm so awake. As in, I technically need sleep and probably should rest, but I'm awake anyway.

I wish I lived in a ring. I wish everything I dealt with was inside my ring, and everything I did had output in my same ring. I wish I only had to encounter people who were also elements of my ring; people different to me, but still connected. Through analysis I could understand this ring, maybe deep and abstract analysis, maybe analysis so easy it comes under the guise of intuitiveness, but it would be possible for me to understand.

I just don't understand certain people sometimes.

"Let's watch High School Musical, Atonement is too serious". No, GTFO.

It feels taste is the most primary parameter by which I can see what someone is like. I can formulate a fragment of their generating function.

I went to the old library today, and as I walked in, there was a girl waiting in the foyer, reading the Watchmen Comic, dressed in red dress similarly to Melanie Laurent in Inglorious Basterds and I could hear through her headphones she was listening to this:

That didn't actually happen. But if it had, I would have briefly acknowledged the fact that there was strong possibility she was in my ring, and gone on with my life, heartened.

I stood a couple of weeks ago, as the people around me were discussing how great Fireflies by Owl City was. In a brief moment I saw their generating functions; obviously not in my ring. At that moment, I wished for a slow-moving river, because I was so ready to float; float away.

I think I wish for a slow-moving river alot in my life. Something I can just wade into, lie, and be washed up on a green silt-less bank, where a fellow flower-picking ringsman will walk past, say good-day and leave me immersed in God's lovely world.

There's this girl at college in third year, who I instinctively know is in my ring; her face is afflicted by this expression, as though she's lost something so very dear to her so long ago, and while now she's fine, she's forever mournful. And she's so beautiful as a result. I hold her, and she whispers "I'm glad you're on my side". I can be her compromise.

"Don't give up."

I just want the world to be made up of infinite overlapping spheres of that; arranged in a ring.

It feels strange that so much of my life thus far has been worrying about the implications being myself would have. Particularly being gay and I was particularly scared of what my father would say, what he would do. It now feels so irrelevant to everything; the trickling of the slow-moving river drowns that all out.

If anyone ever questions who I am from now on, I'll calmly explain myself. Because I've finally thought about how to explain myself. I'm so at one with myself - I can now focus on trying to source those spheres, where she looks at me, with that ever-present sadness in her eyes and weakly moves her lips to a smile. I can start to make my ring.

It's so sad that my life has been characterised by fear. And fear of what? Rejection. Is it rejection if you aren't part of the whole in the first place?

Find me a meadow. Find me a place to lay. Find me my ring. Tell me all your worries, I want to be told.

Edited by chairdriver

Find me my ring.

sphere_grid.jpg

But yeah, I concur.

Though with the taste thing, it's like...I still like people even if they aren't avid Joanna Newsom fans. :p

You want to be careful trying yo avoid those with differing tastes - as someone who has what seems to me to be fairly isolated tastes in music, you risk blocking out a lot of potentially great friends.

Yes, it is good that you can define who you are, but don't let that definition rule everything you do, or the social circles you move in.

Because we should expand away from the HWYD thread, and that two other mods haven't done so, I'll not lock/merge this.

Also I'm the king of these types of posts. Not really tried to defend my throne much in the past, but I still have the crown! Nice attempt, but it made too much sense.

I wish I lived in a ring. I wish everything I dealt with was inside my ring, and everything I did had output in my same ring. I wish I only had to encounter people who were also elements of my ring; people different to me, but still connected. Through analysis I could understand this ring, maybe deep and abstract analysis, maybe analysis so easy it comes under the guise of intuitiveness, but it would be possible for me to understand.

Now is it just me, or did anybody else think of anal after reading this paragraph?

Now is it just me, or did anybody else think of anal after reading this paragraph?

I was just annoyed realising id wasted so much time reading a post about chairdrivers "ring".......so yes I guess so

I was just annoyed realising id wasted so much time reading a post about chairdrivers "ring".......so yes I guess so

It was the 'brief' moment that climaxed in a slow flowing river that got me.:p

I wish for a slow-moving river alot in my life. Something I can just wade into, lie, and be washed up on a green silt-less bank, where a fellow flower-picking ringsman will walk past, say good-day and leave me immersed in God's lovely world."

ewww!!!

It was the 'brief' moment that climaxed in a slow flowing river that got me.:p

ewww!!!

Actually made me smile.

I also want all the people around me to like the same things as I do, so I will not have my opinions challenged.

Edited by Mundi

Too much algebra sends a man mad.

This is very true, I knew a guy who did maths at university. For three straight days he stayed in his room revising, only appearing every two hours or so to make a cup of tea...only he would only take one step every second to the kettle and every step he would whisper to himself "big man". When he reached his room again he would shout "BIG MAN" and slam the door for another two hours.

I was overwhelmed by the gay innuendo the moment I started reading it.

I wish everything I dealt with was inside my ring, and everything I did had output in my same ring.

Darth_Vader.jpg

"All too easy."

As others have touched upon making friends (or at least friendly acquaintances) with people who don't share your thoughts/fit into you ring [speaking of, due to the innuendo-ridden dialogue that has spawned I won't be able to watch Chuck quite the same again >_>] can ultimately be rewarding. How else will you get a chance to develop your association with, and appreciation of, what you love if never challenged.

If we go through life just embracing those who reflect us we'll never grow.

You've misinterpreted me. I never said taste dictates whether someone would fit into my world, its just the easiest signifier to which I can tell if they would fit or not. In the Fireflies example, just the way they talked about the song showed they clearly had a different [read: shit] way of appreciating music that doesn't gel with me.

I've realised I need to write my Youth Novel. Not necessarily in the format of a novel though.

You've misinterpreted me. I never said taste dictates whether someone would fit into my world, its just the easiest signifier to which I can tell if they would fit or not. In the Fireflies example, just the way they talked about the song showed they clearly had a different [read: shit] way of appreciating music that doesn't gel with me.

Kind of contradicts :p

I dunno, you do seem to jump quickly into the "different=shit" boat. But of course online life is merely a mangled fraction of actual personality.

But the other example (HSM, although that is awful), sometimes people do just wanna chill out and watch crap.

C'mon dad. Let it beeeee. </vmars reference>

Basically, this all boils down to: I don't have enough energy to engage with shite people.

Basically, this all boils down to: I don't have enough energy to engage with shite people.

But then you're judging people by what they like and writing them off. Which is ultimately a disservice to yourself, we all have shit parts to our personalities but for some reason people like us.

("But you don't even like people."

"And yet they adore me." - another random vmars reference)

Some of my best friends watch shit but I love them anyway.

Yes, I'm looking at you Glee :p and you Twilight!

But then you're judging people by what they like and writing them off. Which is ultimately a disservice to yourself, we all have shit parts to our personalities but for some reason people like us.

You're all latching on to the taste thing - it's irrelevant to the fact I'm enervated to the point of bleakness by certain people. Hence why this fantastical ring is so enticing.

Kind of contradicts :p

I dunno, you do seem to jump quickly into the "different=shit" boat. But of course online life is merely a mangled fraction of actual personality.

But the other example (HSM, although that is awful), sometimes people do just wanna chill out and watch crap.

C'mon dad. Let it beeeee. </vmars reference>

Evidently.

Well you have to see its understandable when you say something like this:

It feels taste is the most primary parameter by which I can see what someone is like.

Which is obviously only a fraction of your complete thoughts, but we're not privvy to them (other than some superfluous adjectives about rivers and rings).

I do know Chair, so I get what he means by "shite people" etc...and the search for ease (within a ring or whatever other shape takes one's fancy).

I think my constant harpings on about "lying in the green grass and letting it grow over me" may have affected him.. :P